Genevieve's brake release lever

Jim Flom

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
I just noticed that Genevieve Jeanson's quick-release on her brake lever is
open in the photo of her on the cover of VeloNews. Is there a reason racers
would typically do that in a TT?

Jim Flom

Brian W.

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
I see people racing and riding with their brake q/r's open all that
time. I think that a lot of people don't understand their barrel
adjusters, or something, and instead use the q/r to adjust rim-pad
clearance. Hard to believe, but then again look at how many experienced
riders don't have the foggiest clue how to trim their own rear
derailleur...

Brian

beezl...@my-deja.com

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

>look at how many experienced
> riders don't have the foggiest clue how to trim their own rear
> derailleur...
>
> Brian

Look at all the experienced racers that win with out knowing how to
adjust their derailleur. Is there some correlation?? Maybe having your
brakes tuned to perfection really insn't that important.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

VELOMANKC

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Since pro riders routinely need to leave their bike leaning against something,
they will adjust their brakes so that they can tighten down the q/r and the
bike becomes stable. They then lift and they are ready to ride. I don't think
it is an issue of knowledge amongst pro mechanics..

Scott

Dave Chen

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
If you saw the 99 TdF, during one of TT's (I can't remember which) Lance's TT
bike (the Litesp...uh...Trek) has the front brake QR halfway open.

It kinda bugged me...the wheel didn't seem to be out of true in any way...

Dave

David Chen
Department of Exercise Science
Arizona State University

The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full...it is too small.

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Brian W. wrote:

> I see people racing and riding with their brake q/r's open all that
> time. I think that a lot of people don't understand their barrel
> adjusters, or something, and instead use the q/r to adjust rim-pad

> clearance. Hard to believe, but then again look at how many experienced

John Forrest Tomlinson

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
VELOMANKC wrote in message
<19991026124403...@ng-fw1.aol.com>...

>Since pro riders routinely need to leave their bike leaning
against something,

Yeah, leaning the bike against something is so pro. I
wonder if any US amateurs can do that? Probably not.
That's probably a key reason for our lack of results in the
Worlds Espoirs race, right?

>they will adjust their brakes so that they can tighten down
the q/r and the
>bike becomes stable. They then lift and they are ready to
ride. I don't think
>it is an issue of knowledge amongst pro mechanics..

I don't believe this one bit.

JT

Visit http://www.jt10000.com/
Cycling, Food and Stories

Jspeed97

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
If you use different wheels it is easy to use the brake QR for adjustments.

Michael Kelly

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

It might also be that she's using a wider aero rim -- don't know the
picture, but I know that when I put my Spinergies on to race, I have to
leave the qr open quite a bit compared to when I have my regular wheels
on. Just a thought...

Mike Kelly

Mollie Francis

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99

we don't need no stinkin' brakes

Martin Clan

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
WHOOP, WHOOP!!! YOU GO GIRLS!!!

Mollie Francis <i...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Marsh Jones

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
On a TT bike, it is very common to open the brake adjuster to ensure no
rubbing. Nothing I can think of can slow you down more in a TT than having a
brake rubbing on the rim, zapping your speed. The only trick is to make sure
you can still use the brakes if needed. They don't have to work like they would
in a pack, just provide friction to slow you down.

Marsh Jones
Minneapolis

Jon Isaacs

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
>On a TT bike, it is very common to open the brake adjuster to ensure no
>rubbing. Nothing I can think of can slow you down more in a TT than having a
>brake rubbing on the rim, zapping your speed.

Why not just adjust them with the desired amount of clearance in the first
place?

Jon Isaacs

Brian W.

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
This exemplifies exactly what I was originally trying to say -- why
wouldn't someone just use the barrel adjuster to set their brakes up
correctly then use the q/r for its intended purpose -- to make wheel
removal easier.

Or are those things meant for "stabilizing" your bike while you lean
your bike up against something, just like the pros? I get confused!

Brian

Ken Papai

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
Marsh Jones <dmj...@imation.com> writes:
>On a TT bike, it is very common to open the brake adjuster to ensure no
>rubbing. Nothing I can think of can slow you down more in a TT than having a
>brake rubbing on the rim, zapping your speed. The only trick is to make sure
>you can still use the brakes if needed.They don't have to work like they would

>in a pack, just provide friction to slow you down.

Not to mention the mental game: "Are they rubbing or are
they not?" When I climb I often loosen up the front brakes.
Who needs em?! It's more mental than actual; so why not.
The second I got that VeloNews I knew exactly what
Jeanson was thinking.

--
Ken Papai Marin County, California
kpa...@rahul.net http://www.rahul.net/kpapai/cycling

Daniel Connelly

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
Ken Papai wrote:

> Not to mention the mental game: "Are they rubbing or are
> they not?" When I climb I often loosen up the front brakes.
> Who needs em?!\

If I did this, I'd forget to reset them for the descent,
when one clearly does need them.

Dan

Ken Papai

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
Daniel Connelly <ra6...@email.sps.mot.com> writes:

>> Not to mention the mental game: "Are they rubbing or are
>> they not?" When I climb I often loosen up the front brakes.
>> Who needs em?!\

>> Ken

>If I did this, I'd forget to reset them for the descent,
>when one clearly does need them.

This reminds me of this Rodney D. funny:

"When I was born .... the doctor came out to the
waiting room and said to my father........ I'm very
sorry......We did everything we could......But he pulled through."

"A girl phoned me the other day and said
"Come on over, there's nobody home."
I went over. Nobody was home.

During sex, my girlfriend always wants to
talk to me. Just the other night she called me from a hotel."

The moral is... remember to tighten down that thing on
your brakes after you loosen 'em!!

Mark McMaster

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
Jon Isaacs wrote:

> >On a TT bike, it is very common to open the brake adjuster to ensure no
> >rubbing. Nothing I can think of can slow you down more in a TT than having a
> >brake rubbing on the rim, zapping your speed.
>
> Why not just adjust them with the desired amount of clearance in the first
> place?

On current bicycles it's possible to adjust the brakes
correctly and still have rubbing. Dual pivot brakes have a
higher leverage ratio than single pivots did, which means
they have a shorter caliper travel for a given lever travel;
dual pivot brakes must be set closer to the rim than single
pivots to prevent the levers from bottoming out. 8/9spd
rear wheels have more dish that 7spd, which decreases the
lateral stiffness of the rear wheel, i.e it will flex more
under lateral loads, as when climbing out of the saddle.
The net result of both of these is that there is more chance
of brakes rubbing on modern bikes than on earlier bikes,
even with brakes adjusted properly.

Mark McMaster
MMc...@ix.netcom.com

Tim McNamara

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
In article <7v74gh$e8$1...@samba.rahul.net>, Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net>
wrote:

> Not to mention the mental game: "Are they rubbing or are
> they not?" When I climb I often loosen up the front brakes.

In my experience, it's the rear brake that rubs while climbing due to
frame flex. I don't think I flex the fork enough to get the front
brake to rub. Haven't had any problem on my Ritchey road bike, so I
have stopped even thinking about it.

Adam Hodges Myerson

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Will you dorks please take this to rec.bikes.get-a-life? Please?

Adam

Adam Hodges Myerson-- http://members.aol.com/amyerson/
AMye...@aol.com, VOma...@aol.com
The Northampton Cycling Club-- http://www.noho.com/ncc/
"I am a man more sinned against than sinning."

GBSHAUN

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99

Mark McMaster writes:

>8/9spd
>rear wheels have more dish that 7spd, which decreases the
>lateral stiffness of the rear wheel, i.e it will flex more
>under lateral loads, as when climbing out of the saddle.
>The net result of both of these is that there is more chance
>of brakes rubbing on modern bikes than on earlier bikes,
>even with brakes adjusted properly.

3 points of interest:

I do believe that in fact the flange spacings on 9at least) Shimano hubs has
not changed since the days of 7 speed.

More important is total flange spacing:
If the rim is moved away from the centerline of two flanges, this will not
reduce the lateral stiffness. Rims are equally stiff to the right or left, as
long as spokes don't go slack.

Push the bottom of a rim to the right, and there's a good chance that the top
of the rim will move to the right also - especially on a rear wheel.

Shaun

01/01/01 - The new millennium for those who can count
http://www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/leaflets/new_mill.html
http://www.altitudetent.com

Jim Flom

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Adam Hodges Myerson wrote in message
<19991027220306...@ng-cl1.aol.com>...

>Will you dorks please take this to rec.bikes.get-a-life? Please?

Really, guys, where you get off thinking you can discuss frame flex and
psychological aspects of climbing in a racing newsgroup is beyond me. What
are you thinking???

Now, if you want to play trivia games about cable TV characters like the
Great Kornholio, this is the place.

Mark McMaster

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
GBSHAUN wrote:

> Mark McMaster writes:
>
> >8/9spd
> >rear wheels have more dish that 7spd, which decreases the
> >lateral stiffness of the rear wheel, i.e it will flex more
> >under lateral loads, as when climbing out of the saddle.
> >The net result of both of these is that there is more chance
> >of brakes rubbing on modern bikes than on earlier bikes,
> >even with brakes adjusted properly.
> >

> 3 points of interest:
>
> I do believe that in fact the flange spacings on 9at least) Shimano hubs has
> not changed since the days of 7 speed.

Shimano and Campy flange offsets did not change from 8spd to
9spd, but they did change offsets when they went from 7spd
to 8spd (both flanges shifted left with respect to the
center of the wheel, increasing dish) - I've converted
enough hubs from 7spd to 8spd to know that the rim needs to
be redished.

> More important is total flange spacing:
> If the rim is moved away from the centerline of two flanges, this will not
> reduce the lateral stiffness. Rims are equally stiff to the right or left, as
> long as spokes don't go slack.

Not quite true. The lateral stiffness of the spokes varies
non-linearly with the angle. Spokes at a small bracing
angle (as on the right) have much less lateral stiffness
than spokes at a higher bracing angle (as from the left).
When dishing a wheel, the loss of lateral stiffness of the
right spokes is not completely compensated for by the
increase in lateral stiffness of the right spokes. If two
wheels have the same flange spacing, the one with greater
dish will have least lateral stiffness.

> Push the bottom of a rim to the right, and there's a good chance that the top
> of the rim will move to the right also - especially on a rear wheel.

And the less lateral bracing (as with a wheel with more
dish), the more likely this will happen.

Mark McMaster
MMc...@ix.netcom.com

Joey D'Antoni

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Guys,

On a TT bike she's going to have a disc in the rear--which in my
experience has always been more flexy than a spoked wheel...

Joey D'Antoni

Andrew Albright

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Jim Flom (jf...@nospam.erols.com) wrote:

: Really, guys, where you get off thinking you can discuss frame flex and

: psychological aspects of climbing in a racing newsgroup is beyond me. What
: are you thinking???

: Now, if you want to play trivia games about cable TV characters like the
: Great Kornholio, this is the place.

Hey, at least most of us race, that post to this group, or are at least
somewhat involved in racing.

Andrew Albright

GBSHAUN

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
>Guys,
>
>On a TT bike she's going to have a disc in the rear--which in my
>experience has always been more flexy than a spoked wheel...
>
>Joey D'Antoni

Ironically, a disc can cause more brake rub because it is too stiff!
What normally happens is that the "tilt" of the wheel (bottom moves to the
right, top to the left) is cancelled out by the buckling of the rim (bottom
moves to the right, top moves to the right)
Rigid discs will tilt, but not buckle much - resulting in rub.

Maybe what is needed is a brake lever which causes more cable travel. Sure the
braking force is reduced, but does that matter on the back? especially in a TT?
As long as the front brake is fine . Afterall, I usually TT on a fixed wheel
with NO back brake

SW

Tedhas2

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
In article <19991027220306...@ng-cl1.aol.com>,

amye...@aol.comANTISPAM (Adam Hodges Myerson) writes:

>Will you dorks please take this to rec.bikes.get-a-life? Please?

Will you please take your dorky commentary to
rec.bikes.don't-even-bother-to-try-getting-a-life? Please?
--Ted Haskell

Tedhas2

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
In article <s1e3qd...@corp.supernews.com>, "Brian W." <nos...@no.spams>
writes:

>This exemplifies exactly what I was originally trying to say -- why
>wouldn't someone just use the barrel adjuster to set their brakes up
>correctly then use the q/r for its intended purpose -- to make wheel
>removal easier.

The barrel adjuster doesn't have sufficient range to adjust for all rim width
combinations. Use of the QR lever allows for a wheel switch before the start if
you want to warm up on your spare wheels (without having to readjust the cable
length). Since most TTs require little braking, it's no big deal to be not
optimised for braking, but it's silly to have brake rub. Sometimes the quick
and dirty solution is the best.
--Ted Haskell

Joey D'Antoni

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Shaun,

My road disc is a Hed--it's a bit floppy. My Zipp track disc on the
other hand is pretty solid. BTW, someone told me you had a contact for
some aero fork (made in England?)

Thanks

Joey

Jim Flom

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99

Andrew Albright wrote in message <7v9tjv$lh6$1...@netnews.upenn.edu>...

>Hey, at least most of us race, that post to this group, or are at least
>somewhat involved in racing.

Aren't you a little old to be playing the
"Na-na-na-na-boo-boo
I've raced more than you"
card?

Jim Flom

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Sorry Andrew, I apologize. There's enough negativity without my
contributing to it.

Jim Flom

Damon Rinard

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99

Then Mark McMaster wrote:

> - I've converted
> enough hubs from 7spd to 8spd to know that the rim needs to
> be redished.

The choice of the new cassette body has a lot to do with this.

I have measured many different Shimano cassette bodies, and the offset
from hub to largest cog varies from one model to another. If you get a
new body that is thicker here, you certainly will have to re-dish. If
you select a new casette body with a slim dimension here, redishing is
nil. So whether redishing a converted wheel is required depends on your
chice in cassette bodies.

For example, the LX 8 speed body is 0.166 inches from base to largest
cog, while the RX-100 8 speed body is only 0.130. Others vary by more
than that.

If you measure stock Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace hubs for dish, you
will see that Dura-Ace has less dish than Ultegra, but if you compare 7
speeds against 8 speeds, you will see the dish has not changed. I don't
know about 9 speeds (yet).

Damon Rinard

Damon Rinard's Bicycle Tech Site:
http://www.damonrinard.com/