No Upper Body

RobertG1

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
Greetings,

After road cycling, with a little mtbiking thrown in for good measure, for the
last seven years, I have decided I must do something with my pathetic
upper-body condition. I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...so I get a
pretty good hilly workout every time I head out the door for a ride. But, upon
riding more than ever this year, my back has been nagging me with pain. Most of
my rides are atleast 40 miles. From what I have read, a weak torso can really
cause back problems on long rides?...is this the truth?...has anyone
experienced this and did something about it? I will tell you this....my bike
fit is good...I deal with a very reputable shop in Charlottesville, VA....Blue
Wheel Bicycles...the owners have been in business for 25 years...one is a
framebuilder and the other is a former VA Master road champion.....neat guys
who set me up correctly.

I have been very overweight most of my life....hovering as high as 300lbs...I
decided to to something about it back in 1993...starved myself ...then realized
I was going about losing weight all wrong...and was getting too skinny...I
would have to find some way of exercising and learning to eat again...enter
cycling...I have stayed in the 170-185 lb...range for years....however...I've
never really done anything for my upper-body..heck...my wife has bigger biceps
than I do!!... My legs are pretty nice, though! :o)

My company just built a new fitness center for its' employees, complete with
weight training and cardio equipment, showers, lockers, etc. And to be honest,
I'm thinking of hopping off the bike this winter to really work on my back and
abdomen especially. I am like many of you all, have a real job working plenty
of hours, with two young children, wife, and big home to take care of....in
addition to several unhealthy older family members that need attention. So, my
workout time is becoming more limited....I have managed, with the help of being
a shiftworker, to get in 200 miles a week on my Lemond....all Spring, Summer,
and Fall,...but I am kinda burned out for the first time in 7 years...

I have a fair amount of the flab in the gut leftover from going from 300lbs to
170's. My questions for you all are: 1) Will my cycling be very negatively
effected if I take off till March?...2) Can you offer advice on the quickest
ways to tone up my flabby gut..one of the machines in the gym is a Paramount
Back/Ab machine using weights...would this be a machine I should concentrate on
using? 3) What other advice do you have?....I hate to cop out on cycling for
the winter...but I'm enjoying the cold/windy days less and less...and with
working shiftwork...am forced to ride solo...most all the time....with no
companionship on the long, cold rides.

Thanks for your time in advance,

Robert in Virginia

Paul

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
Ab Work will help your back problem...most likely, unless you have some type
of injury.

Look around on the web. There are plenty of training programs that will help
you over the Winter. I like www.active.com and www.asimba.com

Paul

breil...@my-deja.com

Nov 19, 2000, 2:11:14 AM11/19/00
In article <20001117143555...@ng-cl1.aol.com>,

robe...@aol.com (RobertG1) wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After road cycling, with a little mtbiking thrown in for good
measure, for the
> last seven years, I have decided I must do something with my pathetic
> upper-body condition. I live in the Shenandoah Valley of
Virginia...so I get a
> pretty good hilly workout every time I head out the door for a ride.
But, upon
> riding more than ever this year, my back has been nagging me with
pain. Most of
> my rides are atleast 40 miles. From what I have read, a weak torso
can really
> cause back problems on long rides?...is this the truth?

yes

...has anyone experienced this and did something about it?

work the abs, especially crunches. Do some lower back work, but be
careful not to overdo. You want the back to be stronger, but not
tight. The ab work will help to support your lower back the most.

<snip>

> I have been very overweight most of my life....hovering as high as
300lbs...I
> decided to to something about it back in 1993...starved
myself ...then realized
> I was going about losing weight all wrong...and was getting too
skinny...I
> would have to find some way of exercising and learning to eat
again...enter
> cycling...I have stayed in the 170-185 lb...range for years....

Congrats on losing all that weight! Here I am getting tired of a
grumbling stomach and I'm only trying to lose 10-12 lbs.

however...I've
> never really done anything for my upper-body..heck...my wife has
bigger biceps
> than I do!!... My legs are pretty nice, though! :o)
>
> My company just built a new fitness center for its' employees,
complete with
> weight training and cardio equipment, showers, lockers, etc. And to
be honest,
> I'm thinking of hopping off the bike this winter to really work on my
back and
> abdomen especially. I am like many of you all, have a real job
working plenty
> of hours, with two young children, wife, and big home to take care
of....in
> addition to several unhealthy older family members that need
attention. So, my
> workout time is becoming more limited....I have managed, with the
help of being
> a shiftworker, to get in 200 miles a week on my Lemond....all Spring,
Summer,
> and Fall,...but I am kinda burned out for the first time in 7
years...

burnout happens to many. Take a little time off, find some
crosstraining activities, such as weight lifting, and then set some
goals for next year. Plan on what you need to do to reach those
goals. This might help with the motivation to get over burnout and get
back on the bike.

> I have a fair amount of the flab in the gut leftover from going from
300lbs to
> 170's. My questions for you all are: 1) Will my cycling be very
negatively effected if I take off till March?...

yes

2) Can you offer advice on the quickest
> ways to tone up my flabby gut..one of the machines in the gym is a
Paramount
> Back/Ab machine using weights...would this be a machine I should
concentrate on
> using? 3) What other advice do you have?

working out in the gym/weight room is good for strength, as well as
toning up the muscles. I get the most from crunches, but some ab
machines are good for a change of pace.

....I hate to cop out on cycling for
> the winter...but I'm enjoying the cold/windy days less and less...and
with
> working shiftwork...am forced to ride solo...most all the
time....with no
> companionship on the long, cold rides.
>
> Thanks for your time in advance,
>
> Robert in Virginia

Gotta get road training if you can. A long layoff, until March, will
have you busting your butt for most of the year to get in good form.
Focus on not just what that long cold ride is accomplishing for you on
that day, but what kind of condition you will be in around April when
others are just finishing up base miles or are still in them.

Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In article <8v7ueh$s0t$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
breil...@my-deja.com wrote:

[snip]

> Gotta get road training if you can. A long layoff, until March, will
> have you busting your butt for most of the year to get in good form.
> Focus on not just what that long cold ride is accomplishing for you on
> that day, but what kind of condition you will be in around April when
> others are just finishing up base miles or are still in them.

OK, there is something I have wondered for a while now. Everyone talks
about doing long rides to build up base miles. So, if you want to do
this in the Winter/Spring when it is still cold, why not just do it on
the indoor trainer? Yes, it might be boring, but surely anything is
better than riding outside in the cold, rain and snow. What is so bad
about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?

--
Sahan Amarasekera

rkaufman

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

Sahan Amarasekera <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In article <8v7ueh$s0t$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

> OK, there is something I have wondered for a while now. Everyone talks
> about doing long rides to build up base miles. So, if you want to do
> this in the Winter/Spring when it is still cold, why not just do it on
> the indoor trainer? Yes, it might be boring, but surely anything is
> better than riding outside in the cold, rain and snow. What is so bad
> about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?

The fact that it is seven hours long, on a turbo.

Theodore Heise

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Sahan Amarasekera writes:

> What is so bad about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?

Just one question, Sahan. What's the longest ride you've done on a
trainer? I think I did an hour and a half once, before I couldn't take
any more. I usually do 30-60 minutes.

Ted

--
Theodore W. Heise <the...@netins.net> West Lafayette, IN, USA
PGP public key: http://showcase.netins.net/web/twheise/theise.asc

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
In article <2000101911...@netins.net>,

the...@netins.net wrote:
> Sahan Amarasekera writes:
>
> > What is so bad about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?
>
> Just one question, Sahan. What's the longest ride you've done on a
> trainer? I think I did an hour and a half once, before I couldn't
take
> any more. I usually do 30-60 minutes.

About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like
anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride. Of course it
will be boring, but the cold and wet outside is even worse IMO. It
sounds like you think the reverse. And you can watch TV (esp. the Tour)
while you go on the turbo.

--
Sahan Amarasekera

> Ted
>
> --
> Theodore W. Heise <the...@netins.net> West Lafayette, IN, USA
> PGP public key: http://showcase.netins.net/web/twheise/theise.asc

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MauriceMillerWA

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Robert,

Good job on the weight loss!

If you're feeling burned out on the bike, take time off. Don't turn it into a
job that you don't get paid for. Take a break and it won't be too long before
you're hungry for the bike again. The fun will return.

As far as performance loss with a break in cycling, sure you'll lose some, but
not nearly as bad as if you made yourself keep riding and eventually quit. You
can train cardio many different ways, try something new. Lance & Greg both had
extended periods of time off the bike and they were both able to regain, even
surpass there previous fitness levels. Don't even worry about it.

Balancing your strength should help a lot with back pain. Progress slowly with
the weights. No need to get hurt while building up your muscle suit. Pain
anywhere is a warning. Besides, nobody is really going to notice how much
you're lifting until you get at least 3 of the big cookies on each end of the
bar anyway.

The back is a big muscle group so I would suggest doing at least shrugs,
pullups (hi cable pull downs if you can't do more than a few pull ups), Low
cable rows (or dumbell rows), and hyperextensions. Again, work up slow.

Contrary to popular belief it takes more than a few weeks at the gym to look
like the incredible hulk but you should notice the benefits within a few
months.

Best of luck, keep it fun!
-Mo
Cycling Camano Island webpage:
http://ourworld.cs.com/homesofquality/bikecamano/index.htm

Aaron Fillion

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
> About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like
> anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride. Of course it
> will be boring, but the cold and wet outside is even worse IMO. It
> sounds like you think the reverse. And you can watch TV (esp. the Tour)
> while you go on the turbo.

Well I can go for an 8h road ride, but the most I could go for inside is about
1h.

Its not the most people can not physically go for longer, it is just mentally it
is hard to sustain. Then there is the other thing with a road ride, say you have
gone for a 3 hour ride one way and decide you want to quit ... you can't ... you
have to turn around and ride 3 hours back, this is usually how most of my long
rides go.

Theodore Heise

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Sahan Amarasekera writes:

> About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like
> anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride.

I don't know about you, but for me time on the trainer is harder on my
rear than time on the road--maybe twice so. In other words, a 1.5 hr
trainer session feels like 3 hours on the road. I stand occassionally
while riding on my rollers, but it still hurts my butt.

I'm with you and don't go out if it's cold *and* wet, but I rode outside
both yesterday and today with the temperature in the 30s (F), and gusts
up to 25 mph. For me it beats the rollers. I ride outdoors if it's
over 30; over 20 if it's calm. If it's colder, wet, or icy, I hit the
rollers.

VoiD

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Sahan Amarasekera wrote:

> OK, there is something I have wondered for a while now. Everyone talks
> about doing long rides to build up base miles. So, if you want to do
> this in the Winter/Spring when it is still cold, why not just do it on
> the indoor trainer? Yes, it might be boring, but surely anything is

> better than riding outside in the cold, rain and snow. What is so bad

> about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?

Just reading this I can't feel my nuts.
Besides, I like some changing terrain in 7 hours.

Kyle Legate (leg...@mcmaster.ca)
Tower of Tongues -- 10:30-11:30 Thursday nights on 93.3 CFMU
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Experimental radio touched by the hand of Maldoror
live webcast: http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca

VoiD

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Sahan Amarasekera wrote:

> About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like

> anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride. Of course it
> will be boring, but the cold and wet outside is even worse IMO. It
> sounds like you think the reverse. And you can watch TV (esp. the Tour)
> while you go on the turbo.

You live in England right? So I guess you get out to ride on the road
what, 5 days a year?

Gocycle

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Just what I enjoy. Seven hours on my trainer looking at the basement
wall. Yikes! :-)

}}}}}GoCycle}}}}}

Jim Quinn

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
breil...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <8v8ojo$d7f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

> Sahan Amarasekera <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > In article <8v7ueh$s0t$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > breil...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> > > Gotta get road training if you can. A long layoff, until March,
> will
> > > have you busting your butt for most of the year to get in good form.
> > > Focus on not just what that long cold ride is accomplishing for you
> on
> > > that day, but what kind of condition you will be in around April
> when
> > > others are just finishing up base miles or are still in them.
> >

> > OK, there is something I have wondered for a while now. Everyone talks
> > about doing long rides to build up base miles. So, if you want to do
> > this in the Winter/Spring when it is still cold, why not just do it on
> > the indoor trainer? Yes, it might be boring, but surely anything is
> > better than riding outside in the cold, rain and snow. What is so bad
> > about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?
> >

> > --
> > Sahan Amarasekera
> >

> I can't believe you even asked that. Tell you what Sahan, I'll bet you
> twenty dollars you can't go seven hours straight on the trainer. Of
> course I'll want some proof that you actually did it. Then you can
> answer your own question.
>
> Bill
>
> I double-dog dare 'ya.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Can I get in on this action. I believe that 7 hours on a trainer would be a
new world record.

Theodore Heise

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Sahan Amarasekera writes:

> Perhaps it is because you drive less torque on the trainer ?

Yeah, that may be part of it. I don't push quite as hard on the pedals,
so more weight is on my rear. Also, I'm generally 10-20 pounds heavier
in the winter. Finally, even though I stand for short stretches, I just
don't move around on the bike as much.

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 19, 2000, 7:08:06 PM11/19/00
In article <2000101916...@netins.net>,

the...@netins.net wrote:
> Sahan Amarasekera writes:
> >
> > About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like
> > anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride.
>
> I don't know about you, but for me time on the trainer is harder on my
> rear than time on the road--maybe twice so. In other words, a 1.5 hr
> trainer session feels like 3 hours on the road. I stand occassionally
> while riding on my rollers, but it still hurts my butt.

Perhaps it is because you drive less torque on the trainer ?

--
Sahan Amarasekera

> I'm with you and don't go out if it's cold *and* wet, but I rode
outside
> both yesterday and today with the temperature in the 30s (F), and
gusts
> up to 25 mph. For me it beats the rollers. I ride outdoors if it's
> over 30; over 20 if it's calm. If it's colder, wet, or icy, I hit the
> rollers.
>

> Ted
>
> --
> Theodore W. Heise <the...@netins.net> West Lafayette, IN, USA
> PGP public key: http://showcase.netins.net/web/twheise/theise.asc

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

breil...@my-deja.com

Nov 19, 2000, 10:30:27 PM11/19/00
In article <8v8ojo$d7f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Sahan Amarasekera <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8v7ueh$s0t$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> breil...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Gotta get road training if you can. A long layoff, until March,
will
> > have you busting your butt for most of the year to get in good form.
> > Focus on not just what that long cold ride is accomplishing for you
on
> > that day, but what kind of condition you will be in around April
when
> > others are just finishing up base miles or are still in them.
>
> OK, there is something I have wondered for a while now. Everyone talks
> about doing long rides to build up base miles. So, if you want to do
> this in the Winter/Spring when it is still cold, why not just do it on
> the indoor trainer? Yes, it might be boring, but surely anything is
> better than riding outside in the cold, rain and snow. What is so bad
> about a 7 hour ride on the turbo ?
>
> --
> Sahan Amarasekera

I can't believe you even asked that. Tell you what Sahan, I'll bet you

twenty dollars you can't go seven hours straight on the trainer. Of
course I'll want some proof that you actually did it. Then you can
answer your own question.

Bill

I double-dog dare 'ya.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Nov 19, 2000, 10:50:51 PM11/19/00
Aaron Fillion <afil...@home.com> wrote in message

> > About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like
> > anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride. Of course it
> > will be boring, but the cold and wet outside is even worse IMO. It
> > sounds like you think the reverse. And you can watch TV (esp. the Tour)
> > while you go on the turbo.
>
> Well I can go for an 8h road ride, but the most I could go for inside is
about
> 1h.
>
> Its not the most people can not physically go for longer, it is just
mentally it
> is hard to sustain.

I think it is both mental and physical. My butt hurts way more indoors than
an equivalent amount of time outdoors.

JT

Note: reply-to address is munged

http://www.jt10000.com/

***************************************

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <8va5sk$ehf$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Well, I'm sure everyone here goes on 7 hour road rides. Sure, a 7 hour
ride on a turbo would be boring if you just stared into space ! Of
course it would! So just watch a video of the Tour !! What better way
to inspire yourself ?

> Of
> course I'll want some proof that you actually did it.

Now, how on earth are we going to do this ?

--
Sahan Amarasekera

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.1001119201206.13870E-
100...@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>,

VoiD <leg...@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Sahan Amarasekera wrote:
>
> > About two hours. But if I can go for a 7 hour road ride (and I, like
> > anyone else, can), then I can go on a 7 hour turbo ride. Of course
it
> > will be boring, but the cold and wet outside is even worse IMO. It
> > sounds like you think the reverse. And you can watch TV (esp. the
Tour)
> > while you go on the turbo.
> >
> You live in England right? So I guess you get out to ride on the road
> what, 5 days a year?

Tell me about it !!
This summer holidays, I was doing vac work, and during the first week,
it was really hot and sunny. I said "I wish it would rain while I am at
work, and be sunny when I was at home, so that I could ride outside."
When I finished work, the weather was really bad. I don't think we had
4 days of sunshine in a row, uninterrupted by rain.

Most summers, we get at least 3 week long periods (not necassarily back
to back) of uninterrupted sunshine. I hope it won't be like this in
2001.

--
Sahan Amarasekera

-
> Kyle Legate (leg...@mcmaster.ca)
> Tower of Tongues -- 10:30-11:30 Thursday nights on 93.3 CFMU
> Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
> Experimental radio touched by the hand of Maldoror
> live webcast: http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00

> In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.1001119201206.13870E-
> 100...@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>,
> VoiD <leg...@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA> wrote:
> > >
> > You live in England right? So I guess you get out to ride on the road
> > what, 5 days a year?
>
> Tell me about it !!
> This summer holidays, I was doing vac work, and during the first week,
> it was really hot and sunny. I said "I wish it would rain while I am at
> work, and be sunny when I was at home, so that I could ride outside."
> When I finished work, the weather was really bad. I don't think we had
> 4 days of sunshine in a row, uninterrupted by rain.
>
> Most summers, we get at least 3 week long periods (not necassarily back
> to back) of uninterrupted sunshine. I hope it won't be like this in
> 2001.

You guys have got it wrong. Assuming you're competing at a local or
regional weather you're supposed to want fairly hard weather all the time.
So you can suit up and head out, if you're serious, while the wimpy racers
moan and do short stuff indoors. Oh yeah, you still do a focussed hard
workout on the trainer once a week or so, but it's got nothing to do with
the weather on any particular day.

dan gregory

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00

> And you can watch TV (esp. the Tour)
> while you go on the turbo.
I did an hour while watching the Open des Nations on Eurosport yesterday -
but I couldn't match the cadence of the riders in the points race.
All the best,
Dan

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <x5iS5.3327$Be3.3...@typhoon1.ba-dsg.net>,
"John Forrest Tomlinson" <jt1...@notthesewordsbellatlantic.net>
wrote:

> Sahan Amarasekera <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

So what do you say about people who do LONG stuff indoors ? Same
effect, less inconvenience. I hate cycling in the rain and cold.

--
Sahan Amarasekera

> Oh yeah, you still do a focussed hard
> workout on the trainer once a week or so, but it's got nothing to do
with
> the weather on any particular day.
>
> JT
>
> --

> Note: reply-to address is munged

> http://www.jt10000.com/
>
> ***************************************

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jim Quinn

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Cathy Boland wrote:

> "Sahan Amarasekera" <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote in message .

> > Well, I'm sure everyone here goes on 7 hour road rides. Sure, a 7 hour
> > ride on a turbo would be boring if you just stared into space ! Of
> > course it would! So just watch a video of the Tour !! What better way
> > to inspire yourself ?

Man I wish I had thought of that, just watch TV and you won't be bored. Just
watch SEVEN FREAKING HOURS OF TV in one setting. Just watch 420 minutes of TV
in one setting. No that wouldn't be boring.

Cathy Boland

Nov 22, 2000, 12:41:00 AM11/22/00

"Sahan Amarasekera" <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote in message .

> Well, I'm sure everyone here goes on 7 hour road rides. Sure, a 7 hour
> ride on a turbo would be boring if you just stared into space ! Of
> course it would! So just watch a video of the Tour !! What better way
> to inspire yourself ?

Just exactly how long have you ridden your trainer at one time, Sahan? Just
curious since you seem to think sitting on one for seven hours is no big
deal.

So why don't you do a 7 hour trainer session this weekend? No cheating now.
And post your experiences back here on this newsgroup. I think we'll know
if you are cheating or not.

Cathy

breil...@my-deja.com

Nov 22, 2000, 1:22:53 AM11/22/00
In article <8vbubp$ra2$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Sahan Amarasekera <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8va5sk$ehf$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Well, I'm sure everyone here goes on 7 hour road rides. Sure, a 7 hour
> ride on a turbo would be boring if you just stared into space ! Of
> course it would! So just watch a video of the Tour !! What better way
> to inspire yourself ?
>
> > Of
> > course I'll want some proof that you actually did it.
>
> Now, how on earth are we going to do this ?
>
> --
> Sahan Amarasekera

What you do Sahan is get a video recorder and a super-long play tape.
Make sure the camera is set so that the time shows on the tape.
Videotape yourself riding on the trainer (this will give you more
incentive to ride hard). Next, take still photo of your computer
showing elapsed time and avg speed (before and after). Also, get at
least three people to witness as this is required under judaic rbr
law. Have them sign affidavits before a notary attesting to your
completion of the required time for the ride. Have the pictures
scanned and e-mailed to Ken Papai. FedEx or UPS a copy of the tape to
Ken. I'm sure he can come up with a way of getting it on the web.

Remember, this is one ride, not several shorter ones over a seven hour
period. All eating is to be done on the bike. Toilet breaks allowed,
but must not be of abnormal length as tape will be running.

Bill Reilly
Promoter and sponsor of 7 hour trainer rides

dave_...@my-deja.com

Nov 22, 2000, 2:18:28 AM11/22/00
In article <8vflj2$74e$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>,

LMAO!!! Cathy......oh yeah..we'll definately know, hope you aren't
planning on having any kids there Sahan, 7 hours on a trainer...Sheesh
Dave

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
"Cathy Boland" <cboland...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "Sahan Amarasekera" <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote in message .
> >
> > Well, I'm sure everyone here goes on 7 hour road rides. Sure, a 7
hour
> > ride on a turbo would be boring if you just stared into space ! Of
> > course it would! So just watch a video of the Tour !! What better
way
> > to inspire yourself ?
> >

> Just exactly how long have you ridden your trainer at one time,
Sahan?

2 hours, without Tour videos. I haven't yet tried it using Tour videos,
because I got the trainer just recently while at uni, and I don't have
a TV in my uni room. As I say, the only issue is boredom, and that can
be solved using videos of the Tour.

> Just
> curious since you seem to think sitting on one for seven hours is no
big
> deal.
>
> So why don't you do a 7 hour trainer session this weekend?

I will try it when I go home for Christmas in a week and a half, there
I will have a TV.

> No cheating now.
> And post your experiences back here on this newsgroup.

As I mentioned to Henry Chang about 6 weeks ago, I can't really post
that much when I am at home. I will probably report back in the Spring
term.

--
Sahan Amarasekera

> I think we'll know
> if you are cheating or not.
>
> Cathy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
<breil...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8vfonp$vh$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> What you do Sahan is get a video recorder and a super-long play tape.
> Make sure the camera is set so that the time shows on the tape.
> Videotape yourself riding on the trainer (this will give you more
> incentive to ride hard). Next, take still photo of your computer
> showing elapsed time and avg speed (before and after). Also, get at
> least three people to witness as this is required under judaic rbr
> law. Have them sign affidavits before a notary attesting to your
> completion of the required time for the ride. Have the pictures
> scanned and e-mailed to Ken Papai. FedEx or UPS a copy of the tape to
> Ken. I'm sure he can come up with a way of getting it on the web.
>
> Remember, this is one ride, not several shorter ones over a seven hour
> period. All eating is to be done on the bike. Toilet breaks allowed,
> but must not be of abnormal length as tape will be running.

On the rare occassions I've done seven hour rides I've gotten off the bike
several times -- usually to get some more food or drink. It wouldn't be
unreasonable for Sahan to take three or four quick stops -- maybe more as
while pissing off the bike in the middle of nowhere is no big deal, pissing
off the trainer in the living room is, well, unpleasant.

I still don't think he can do it.

hughgr...@my-deja.com

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <8vgc2b$esc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Sahan Amarasekera <sah...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8vflj2$74e$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>,
> "Cathy Boland" <cboland...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > And post your experiences back here on this newsgroup.
>
> As I mentioned to Henry Chang about 6 weeks ago, I can't really post
> that much when I am at home.

cathy ought to be ashamed of herself for not remembering what you told
henry chang 6 weeks ago!

Sahan Amarasekera

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <7zPS5.4465$Be3.4...@typhoon1.ba-dsg.net>,

wrote:
> <breil...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > What you do Sahan is get a video recorder and a super-long play
tape.
> > Make sure the camera is set so that the time shows on the tape.
> > Videotape yourself riding on the trainer (this will give you more
> > incentive to ride hard). Next, take still photo of your computer
> > showing elapsed time and avg speed (before and after). Also, get at
> > least three people to witness as this is required under judaic rbr
> > law. Have them sign affidavits before a notary attesting to your
> > completion of the required time for the ride. Have the pictures
> > scanned and e-mailed to Ken Papai. FedEx or UPS a copy of the tape
> > Ken. I'm sure he can come up with a way of getting it on the web.
> >
> > Remember, this is one ride, not several shorter ones over a seven
hour
> > period. All eating is to be done on the bike. Toilet breaks
allowed,
> > but must not be of abnormal length as tape will be running.
>
> On the rare occassions I've done seven hour rides I've gotten off the
bike
> several times -- usually to get some more food or drink. It wouldn't
be
> unreasonable for Sahan to take three or four quick stops -- maybe
more as
> while pissing off the bike in the middle of nowhere is no big deal,
pissing
> off the trainer in the living room is, well, unpleasant.

Well, if I drank just the right amount at the right times, before,
during and after ANY ride, is it possible that I will NOT have to piss
at all and NOT get dehydrated ?? Or, is this biologically impossible ??

During all rides, I end up pissing sometime. Does this mean that I have
got the timing and/or the volume of liquid wrong ? Or is it just
inevitable ?

Maybe Andy Coggan could answer these question, but I am most probably
in his killfile.

--
Sahan Amarasekera

> I still don't think he can do it.
>
> JT
>
> --

> Note: reply-to address is munged

> http://www.jt10000.com/
>
> ***************************************

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Donald Munro

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00

<breil...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> What you do Sahan is get a video recorder and a super-long play tape.
> Make sure the camera is set so that the time shows on the tape.
> Videotape yourself riding on the trainer (this will give you more
> incentive to ride hard). Next, take still photo of your computer
> showing elapsed time and avg speed (before and after). Also, get at
> least three people to witness as this is required under judaic rbr
> law. Have them sign affidavits before a notary attesting to your
> completion of the required time for the ride. Have the pictures
> scanned and e-mailed to Ken Papai. FedEx or UPS a copy of the tape to
> Ken. I'm sure he can come up with a way of getting it on the web.

Why not set up a webcam as well, then we can all watch this epic unfold.

Cathy Boland

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00

> In article <8vflj2$74e$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>,
> "Cathy Boland" <cboland...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just exactly how long have you ridden your trainer at one time,
> Sahan?
>
> 2 hours, without Tour videos. I haven't yet tried it using Tour videos,
> because I got the trainer just recently while at uni, and I don't have
> a TV in my uni room. As I say, the only issue is boredom, and that can
> be solved using videos of the Tour.

Uh-huh. That is what I thought.

> I will try it when I go home for Christmas in a week and a half, there
> I will have a TV.

I have no doubt you will be successful riding the entire 7 hours since you
have been baited so unmercifully here. My bet is that you will never do it
again and will shudder with horror at the very thought of riding that
trainer for so long.

> > No cheating now.
> > And post your experiences back here on this newsgroup.
>

> As I mentioned to Henry Chang about 6 weeks ago, I can't really post
> that much when I am at home.

My deepest apologies for not remembering such an important conversation.

>I will probably report back in the Spring
> term.

We'll be waiting. Remember, seven hours with only short (5 minutes tops)
food and bathroom breaks. Just like a long ride. I guess we'll allow you
to change the video tape since you'll be using quite a few of them.

Cathy

VoiD

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Sahan Amarasekera wrote:

> As I mentioned to Henry Chang about 6 weeks ago, I can't really post

> that much when I am at home. I will probably report back in the Spring
> term.

Please tell me you're going home soon for a long holiday.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Donald Munro <ddddd...@tricom.co.za> wrote in message

> <breil...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > What you do Sahan is get a video recorder and a super-long play tape.
> > Make sure the camera is set so that the time shows on the tape.
> > Videotape yourself riding on the trainer (this will give you more
> > incentive to ride hard). Next, take still photo of your computer
> > showing elapsed time and avg speed (before and after). Also, get at
> > least three people to witness as this is required under judaic rbr
> > law. Have them sign affidavits before a notary attesting to your
> > completion of the required time for the ride. Have the pictures
> > scanned and e-mailed to Ken Papai. FedEx or UPS a copy of the tape to
> > Ken. I'm sure he can come up with a way of getting it on the web.
>
> Why not set up a webcam as well, then we can all watch this epic unfold.

Yeah, and get a cool URL too like www.numbnutcam.com

Henry Chang

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:08:19 GMT, "John Forrest Tomlinson"
<jt1...@notthesewordsbellatlantic.net> wrote:

>On the rare occassions I've done seven hour rides I've gotten off the bike
>several times -- usually to get some more food or drink. It wouldn't be
>unreasonable for Sahan to take three or four quick stops -- maybe more as
>while pissing off the bike in the middle of nowhere is no big deal, pissing
>off the trainer in the living room is, well, unpleasant.
>
>I still don't think he can do it.

I've done a 6 hour session on the trainer and averaged 4 hours/day for
2 weeks when I had a broken collarbone. I don't know if it counts
though because I was on a Vicodin prescription. No problems though,
the biggest challenge was boredom (watched a lot of movies).

Henry

Donald Munro

Nov 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/23/00
"Henry Chang" <fre...@connectnet.com> wrote:
> I've done a 6 hour session on the trainer and averaged 4 hours/day for
> 2 weeks when I had a broken collarbone. I don't know if it counts
> though because I was on a Vicodin prescription. No problems though,
> the biggest challenge was boredom (watched a lot of movies).

Perhaps you'd make 10hrs on LSD (and you would'nt need the movies).

Sgt. Pepper

Jason Waddell

Nov 26, 2000, 10:46:43 PM11/26/00
I heard a story one time that Norm Alvis was somewhere and someone challenged
him to an endurance trainer ride. the story I heard said that he lasted 7hrs+.
I think it was at a training camp somewhere and everyone else was standing
around cheering him on. Anyone else heard this story?
Jason Waddell