IS THE OLD (90-92) VINTAGE XT STILL GOOD?

Bruce Sams

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95

A friend of mine has lots of old (90-92 vintage) Shimao XT stuff which is
still UNUSED and in the original packing. He is interested in selling it, and
I'm curious whether it makes sense to buy this older stuff, or whether the
improvements to brakes and shifting in the last few years have been substantial.
What would the old stuff be worth at a fair price?

p.s. There are lots of these parts, so others who are interested can contact me
and I will refer you to my friend (who doesn't have an internet connection).

thanks,

Bruce

Matthew E. O'Toole

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In <3shftd$45...@sat.ipp-garching.mpg.de> sa...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE

I'm still running this stuff, and don't see any advantage to updating.
A new LX set offers 8 speeds and a little less weight, the older XT
with Rapidfire Plus and good gearing (24/36/46-8 and a 13-30) is a
little better quality and more durable, IMHO. I'd offer a little less
than a new LX set, and take off more to replace original push-push
Rapidfire (these were a disaster), or inappropriate gearing. -Matt O.

Kit Cheves

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
Bike Man is selling these new for $49, which I though seemed high,
especially since you can swap the spring in the new version to get similar
results.

Kit

--
Kit Cheves
Qualcomm Incorporated

Tom Mauceri

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
(Bruce Sams) wrote:

> A friend of mine has lots of old (90-92 vintage) Shimao XT stuff which is
> still UNUSED and in the original packing. He is interested in selling it, and
> I'm curious whether it makes sense to buy this older stuff, or whether the
> improvements to brakes and shifting in the last few years have been
substantial.
> What would the old stuff be worth at a fair price?
>
> p.s. There are lots of these parts, so others who are interested can
contact me
> and I will refer you to my friend (who doesn't have an internet connection).
>

> thanks,
>
> Bruce

I know lots of people who swear by the stuff, thumbshifter horders. It
works fine but it is heavy.

landon

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
I think that old XT is extemely unsafe to ride. For one thing,
thumbshifters can poke our eye out. Old XT also very,very,VERY heavy. In
fact I believe that it's the heaviest group ever invented. I sugest that
your friend send his entire intventory to me so that I could dispose of
it in a safe manner. Why do you think Shimano totally redesigned XT in
'94??? GOOD JOB SHIMANO!!!!
Landon "My training program includes a LOT of rest and easy riding" Holt

stripes

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95
Please send me the number of the person selling the old XT stuff.

I am definitely interested. unless someone else has the original
posters email address :)

Thanks,

Anne
--
O str...@nando.net ) o (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.
- /\, Only by attempting ) o >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.

Jan Kunz

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
landon (lan...@nessie.cc.wwu.edu) wrote:
: I think that old XT is extemely unsafe to ride. For one thing,
: thumbshifters can poke our eye out.
>Well I never thought about that...But if you ever see someone doin that
>make sure you take pictures. If you're afraid of riding a bike you should
>quit because there's more danger if you actually ride your steed.
>Jan

Jan Kunz \\\
Department of geology / \
Freiburg, Germany (| O O |)
| [] |
| -- |
\____/
##
##

mo

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
XTII is in my opinion the best groupset shimano ever made function and
athestics. All since has been marketing crap.

MO

Howard Cheng

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
landon (lan...@nessie.cc.wwu.edu) wrote:
>I think that old XT is extemely unsafe to ride. For one thing,
>thumbshifters can poke our eye out. Old XT also very,very,VERY heavy. In
>fact I believe that it's the heaviest group ever invented. I sugest that
>your friend send his entire intventory to me so that I could dispose of
>it in a safe manner. Why do you think Shimano totally redesigned XT in
>'94??? GOOD JOB SHIMANO!!!!
>Landon "My training program includes a LOT of rest and easy riding" Holt

This is too funny.

I'm sorry, but I have yet to see a person with a face so wide that
his/her eyes are in front of both shifters. Maybe Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada is a small city, but I have yet to see a person riding with
his/her eyes close enough to the shifters to get poked out.

They are not heavy. The whole grouppo might be half a pound heavier than
the new LX stuff. I found that the old stuff shifts much crisper, and
works much better with top mounts and grip shift.

Just my 3 Canadian cents(which is about 2 cents in US)

Vince

landon

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
Well Mr.Cheng are you saying that I have wide face?? I'm reminded of that
fact every time I look in the mirror. Shame on you, insensitive bully!!!
You also seem to have a problem with my riding position...so what if I
ride with my head on the bars!!! Well mister, next summer I'm teaching at
the Colorado "How to ride your Gucci Mountain Bike better" summer camp.
There's going to be a whole wave of riders emerging with their heads
firmly planted on their handlebars. And Mr.Kunz, are you calling me a
wimp!?!?! Well maybe I am a sissy..sober...but that's why I carry a
whiskey flask when I ride. After a couple of belts, I'm like a downhill
champ!! I love gettin' sloshed on my bike...in fact I ride a bike that I
designed to be able to ride drunk..it's a light weight mountain tricycle.
That bike is incredible..no matter how drunk I get I can still go
ridin'.. head on the bars..nearly passed out and I'm still flyin'. Hey
guys, lets go riding sometime!!!
Later..Landon.

K.W. Mui

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
Many, including yours truly use and race with 'vintage' XT's without any
threat to our lives nor have any technical problems, no doubt that it's
on the heavier side.

What specific kinds of dangerous situations that were encountered with
the older XT's?

Judd L Clark

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
In article <3td95e$10...@newsgate.sps.mot.com>,

K.W. Mui <rku...@email.sps.mot.com> wrote:
>Many, including yours truly use and race with 'vintage' XT's without any
>threat to our lives nor have any technical problems, no doubt that it's
>on the heavier side.

Old XT is some of the best stuff around. Maybe a bit heavier, but
extremely durable and adjustable, such as the adjustable spring tension
on the non- light-action rear der's. Very high on the function scale,
and that is what really counts, unless you are a ti, carbon, poser.

--
jlc...@iastate.edu

tickler

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
Judd L Clark (jlc...@iastate.edu) wrote:
: In article <3td95e$10...@newsgate.sps.mot.com>,

: --
: jlc...@iastate.edu

Have to agree with these guys. My '89 Bianchi came with all XT except for
the BB. Ive only had to replace one thing so far - the BB. Every time my
shifting gets sloppy I do a thorough lube and its like new again.

Dave

Kristan Roberge

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
jlc...@iastate.edu (Judd L Clark) wrote:

> Old XT is some of the best stuff around. Maybe a bit heavier, but
> extremely durable and adjustable, such as the adjustable spring tension
> on the non- light-action rear der's. Very high on the function scale,
> and that is what really counts, unless you are a ti, carbon, poser.

Hah. That's nothing. You can rebuild 1993 and earlier XT rear
derailleurs. Heck, you can even swap parts with other shimano
derailleurs of the same time period (1990-1993, and 94/95 road
models). The are instructions on my homepage on how to do this.

http://infoweb.magi.com/~kroberge/kmrtop.html

Kristan Roberge

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
landon <lan...@nessie.cc.wwu.edu> wrote:

> I think that old XT is extemely unsafe to ride. For one thing,
> thumbshifters can poke our eye out.

Hah... that's why bar ends were invented.

Try and get an agreement on who invented barends first.

Onza or Syncros.

The only agreement you'll get is that the syncros were lighter
but slipped (being an internal wedge clamp design) and the Onza's
were HEAVY (325 grams) for short style but clamped better.

Chris Baus

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In <DBJDE...@magi.com>, Kristan Roberge <krob...@magi.com> writes:
>jlc...@iastate.edu (Judd L Clark) wrote:
>

>> Old XT is some of the best stuff around. Maybe a bit heavier, but
>> extremely durable and adjustable, such as the adjustable spring tension
>> on the non- light-action rear der's. Very high on the function scale,
>> and that is what really counts, unless you are a ti, carbon, poser.

I couldn't agree more. I've been running Deore equip of this vintage
for many years -- no gimics the stuff just works. In fact my current
rig was stocked with '93 lx equip, but that didn't last, and I have since
retroed my bike with XT thumbs and derailleurs ( ok so I still ride rigid
too :-) ).

Who really needs that window to tell you what gear your in? Get sane.
/=========================================================================\
Chris Baus originates from a cracked face sinister town.

It's not an operating system, it's a religion.

preferred email - cmb...@cs.rit.edu

others - cmb...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
- cb...@rochester.com

Char Tang

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <1995Jul12.0...@cs.rit.edu>,
cmb...@cs.rit.edu@cs.rit.edu says...

>I couldn't agree more. I've been running Deore equip of this vintage
>for many years -- no gimics the stuff just works. In fact my current
>rig was stocked with '93 lx equip, but that didn't last, and I have since
>retroed my bike with XT thumbs and derailleurs ( ok so I still ride rigid
>too :-) ).

Here, here! My bike is over 5 years old and originally came with
Deore II. After wrecking the long cage rear derailleur on some rocks, I
installed a short cage XT (maybe 1990?) but it works great! I'm still using
the original derailleur cable housing and have changed the internal cables
once. However, my upper ceramic pulley is all chewed up. Any
recommendations on which aftermarket pulley to get? Or does Shimano sell
their pulleys? Can someone tell me how the Deore II thumbshifters compare
to the XTs? I'm still riding 7-speeds which is plenty. Anyone know if my
shifters will work for eight speeds in the future? I can't believe how long
my derailleurs and shifters have lasted! An added plus is that vintage XT
deraileurs look much cooler than the current XT stuff. And XTR is just a
rip-off. I kinda like the way STX-RC looks, maybe I'll try something from
that grouppo. Ah well, just had to get it outta my system. Thanks for
read this if you made it this far.

Stephen Morton

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
: In article <1995Jul12.0...@cs.rit.edu>,
: cmb...@cs.rit.edu@cs.rit.edu says...
: >I couldn't agree more. I've been running Deore equip of this vintage
: >for many years -- no gimics the stuff just works. In fact my current
: >rig was stocked with '93 lx equip, but that didn't last, and I have since

Another plus that nobody's mentioned is that the old XT doesn't
look so "tech" any more. I feel much safer parking my bike
outside for a couple of hours. It's worth any marginal extra
weight. In fact, if I bought a new bike, I'd probably transfer
my old XT stuff and store the new until it was out of style.

:) Mort

Stephen Morton BNR Carling Lab Mailstop 102
ESN : (39)3-7377 (w) SMo...@bnr.ca
Phone: 763-7377 (h) Ste...@entrenet.com

Kristan Roberge

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
smo...@bnr.ca (Stephen Morton) wrote:

> : In article <1995Jul12.0...@cs.rit.edu>,
> : cmb...@cs.rit.edu@cs.rit.edu says...
> : >I couldn't agree more. I've been running Deore equip of this vintage
> : >for many years -- no gimics the stuff just works. In fact my current
> : >rig was stocked with '93 lx equip, but that didn't last, and I have since
>
> Another plus that nobody's mentioned is that the old XT doesn't
> look so "tech" any more. I feel much safer parking my bike
> outside for a couple of hours. It's worth any marginal extra
> weight. In fact, if I bought a new bike, I'd probably transfer
> my old XT stuff and store the new until it was out of style.

in some cases, the new XT is heavier. The hubs DEFINETLY are heavier.
The front derailleurs, for all the claim of smaller chainrings
reducing drivetrain weight, are actually heavier than the '93 XT
derailleurs, by 15 grams for a 31.8mm size

Ken Iisaka

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <DBJDE...@magi.com>, Kristan Roberge <krob...@magi.com> wrote:

>Hah. That's nothing. You can rebuild 1993 and earlier XT rear
>derailleurs. Heck, you can even swap parts with other shimano
>derailleurs of the same time period (1990-1993, and 94/95 road
>models). The are instructions on my homepage on how to do this.

Yep. I used to run a derailleur with Deore DX body, 105 cage, DA pulleys
and an old Suntour VX cage spring!!!!
--
Are we - _~@ __@ __@ _~@ Ken Iisaka <kii...@morgan.com>
there _,\=\=\-\_ _,\=\=\-\_ Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.