Cycling jerseys. Are they better than sex?

Steve Green

Feb 21, 1994, 9:12:51 PM2/21/94
I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick
looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.

That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
from $80 to $200, depending on how stylish you want to
look and whose product you want to advertise.

At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
my wife can sew me a jersey? She's just done a course in
sewing with lycra and has already churned out 2 pairs of
damn good cycling shorts at around a tenth the retail
price.

Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra
shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
statement?

While on the topic, is polyester the only material that these
jerseys come in? I've heard of woolen jerseys, but I can't
wear wool against my skin. I've never been a big fan of
polyester either.

Steve Green
Comms Group
ITS Branch
CSIRO Australia

*** The views expressed above are entirely my own ***

bgeer

Feb 23, 1994, 11:33:38 AM2/23/94
Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:

>That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
>from $80 to $200,

>CSIRO Australia

I had the perfect (yeah, right!) answer for you 'til I saw your .sig
-- unfortunately, my answer is a USA one.

I'm a big guy & couldn't find bike jersey's that fit for most of my
riding years -- lately, some of them (very few) are built in bigger
sizes. So, yes, cotton t-shirts & tanks were my mainstay for years.

Besides lycra I have seen polypro bike jerseys from Bellwether, a USA
apparel co.; they have no graphics on them at all except for a small
Bellwether logo. These were about $40 US.

3-4 years ago Tinley (another USA co., of course) offered jerseys made
from Cool Max, some kind of synthetic that has a cottony feel &
supposedly wicks moisture better than a duck's back. I bought several
of the sleeveless ones at $24 US & like them a lot -- they are all
white. Tinley also offers a short-sleeved version. I've seen them in
the Performance (mailorder) catalog as well as Road Runner (a runner &
triathlete mailorder) catalog.

As for jerseys with rear pockets -- I really like them better as the
pockets are very handy if you don't want to carry a handlebar bag or
bag & rack. I carried a bag & rack for a long time, but removed it
for a century ride once & liked not having the bag flop around on the
back, having to step over it, & I've found I always put too much in
the bag just 'cause I have the space. I also worried about leaving
the bag on the bike when it was unattended & it's convenient not to
have to deal with it on some rides. Besides, maybe there's a "cool
look" thing involved too...:-)

Also, in my many years of riding I've met a lot more riders than
simple racer wannabe's -- commuters, travelers, tourers. Most use
padded shorts of some kind, tho padded underwear are available to put
under anything nowadays as well as padded loose fitting shorts. Also,
many use jerseys for the convenience of the pockets. So I don't think
padded shorts, rear-pocket jerseys, stiff-soled cycling shoes, &
clipless pedals are fads but actually useful stuff.

BTW, it's winter here & I haven't been on the bike for 4 months. Been
skiing my butt off -- 2 feet of new powder snow yesterday, wonderful
stuff!

Cheers...Bob
--
<> Bob "Bear" Geer <> |_____| * * * <>
<> bg...@xmission.com <> | \o/ | * * o * ___o <>

GUEST-Mark Watson(CUTS Suppt / Ga.)

Feb 23, 1994, 12:16:05 PM2/23/94
Steve Green (Steve...@its.csiro.au) wrote:
: I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick

: looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.

: That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
: from $80 to $200, depending on how stylish you want to
: look and whose product you want to advertise.

: At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
: my wife can sew me a jersey? She's just done a course in
: sewing with lycra and has already churned out 2 pairs of
: damn good cycling shorts at around a tenth the retail
: price.

: Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra
: shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
: know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
: leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
: statement?

[ ... snip ... ]

I have been able to find jerseys on sale for about half of retail. They
are not the most fashionable (usually are 1 solid color, etc) but have
the rear pockets. Look for a jersey that is snug fitting (ie. doesn't
flap in the breeze) and transports moisture away from the skin (or
at least doesn't hold it close to the skin [cotton]).

Mark B. Watson
mark.b...@att.com phone: (404) 750-3575
...!att.com!mark.b.watson fax: (404) 750-8205 __o
AT&T BCS _`\<,_
300 Northpoint Parkway (*)/ (*)
Alpharetta, GA 30202

bui tho xuan

Feb 23, 1994, 12:21:29 PM2/23/94
Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:
>I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick
>looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.
>
>That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
>from $80 to $200, depending on how stylish you want to
>look and whose product you want to advertise.
>
>At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
>my wife can sew me a jersey? She's just done a course in
>sewing with lycra and has already churned out 2 pairs of
>damn good cycling shorts at around a tenth the retail
>price.

The subject line...it must be brother Steve welcoming sister
Jenn back. I recalled the thread about lycra and sex not so
long ago.

re the jerseys, I think they are nice, esp. the back pocket.
The descente jerseys I have is made of Cool Max, and is more
comfortable than any t-shirt I ever wear. I rate them at about
40-60 bucks US. More than that, it's not worth it, IMO--that is
if the style factor is not involved.

When cotton gets wet, it stays soggy for a long time. The stuff
my jerseys are made of seems to help drying me up as I ride.

>Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra
>shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
>know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
>leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
>statement?

Not a leap, but perhaps a small tunneling event. They do make
it more comfy for you when riding in hot weather.

tho

Steve Fouts

Feb 23, 1994, 3:14:08 PM2/23/94
Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:

>Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra
>shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
>know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
>leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
>statement?

There are basically three or four advantages to the cycling jersey,
and foremost in my mind among them is the added stowage space given
by those handy pockets. Maps, 'nanas, extra water bottles, what
ever. Second, the good ones are cut longer in the back so you don't
end the day with that painful sliver shaped sunburn spot just above
yer butt crack. Third, they are made of spaceage stuff like CoolMax
which wicks sweat away from your body. Some of these can feel _clammy_
so this may or may not be an advantage. Fourth, the form fit of these
jerseys decreases wind resistance. May amount to minutes in a century?

In general I where jerseys when I'm on longer rides and really need
the extra stowage and the prestige that comes from flying my bike
clubs "colours." I wear T-Shirts and tanktops the rest of the time.

I'm sure some phreds think that yah just aint cool unless your jersey
matches your shorts matches your helmet matches your bike, but I'm
not into spending money I don't have to buy things I don't need to
impress people I don't like. Anyone want to diagram that last sentence?
---
_______________________
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfo...@ellison.ti.com
/ / \ | \ / \
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "Read over your compositions and, when you
meet a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out"
-- Samuel Johnson

Alan Bloom

Feb 23, 1994, 3:54:35 PM2/23/94
Steve Green (Steve...@its.csiro.au) wrote:

: Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra

: shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
: know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
: leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
: statement?

Once you go to the lycra shorts, you no longer have any pants pockets.
So then you have to buy a cycling jersey so you have a place to
carry things. These things have a way of snowballing... :=)

Alan Bloom

(Dockers and T-shirt, and proud of it :=)

Ken Lee

Feb 23, 1994, 4:02:48 PM2/23/94
|>That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
|>from $80 to $200, depending on how stylish you want to
|>look and whose product you want to advertise.

Companies like Nashbar and Performance sell decent quality
non-pro jersies for $15 to $25. They'll work fine, as long
as you don't want to (or can't) look like a pro racer.

I recommend that you use the polyester ones. Cotton feels
great when you're going uphill, but you freeze on long cool
down hills.

---
Ken Lee, kl...@synoptics.com

Don Demuth

Feb 23, 1994, 4:46:12 PM2/23/94
In article <CLLst...@its.csiro.au>, Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:

|> I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick
|> looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.

<stuff deleted>

|> Are these jerseys really THAT good?

I'm assuming you are referring back to your original question in the
subject line, which nobody has yet answered. So I will.

NO.
--

_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Donald R. Demuth
_/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/_/ _/ dem...@biochem.dental.upenn.edu

Scott A Shackleton

Feb 23, 1994, 8:24:48 PM2/23/94
In article <CLLst...@its.csiro.au> Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:
>At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
>my wife can sew me a jersey? She's just done a course in
>sewing with lycra and has already churned out 2 pairs of
>damn good cycling shorts at around a tenth the retail
>price.

Hey Steve, Is your wife interested in going into business?
Sign me up as a customer for discount lycra
shorts, and a jersey or two. (I'm partial to
white with red polka dots). :)

Cheers, Scott.
--
Scott Shackleton __o o
shac...@ren.psy.jhu.edu _`\<,_ /|V Coffee:

Emmanuel Trizac

Feb 24, 1994, 7:18:40 AM2/24/94

Does anyone know is a news-group dealing with professional races results exits ?
Thank you...

kim shearer

Feb 24, 1994, 9:30:50 AM2/24/94

I rode for years in cotton tee shirts and windcheaters. Now I have two coolmax
jersys. I would never go back. They are much cooler in the heat and dont sag
when wet. You may be able to find less fashionable jersys cheaper, and you could
also check out whether the local shops have jersys with their name on. These are
usually cheaper too.

Alan Tragarz

Feb 24, 1994, 5:16:06 PM2/24/94
Not quite. I know of more than a few riders who stuff their keys or money
in the outside part of the leg of the shorts near the bottom. Never seen
anything fall out from there either.

Alan

| __o |AT&T-Global Support Center |
|--------- __o _`\<,_ __o |DESD-Rancho Bernardo |
|------- _`\<,_ (*)/ (*) _`\<,_ |Alan.T...@SanDiegoCA.ncr.com |
|------ (*)/ (*) (*)/ (*) |(619) 485-2362 Fax (619) 485-3400|

Drew Saunders

Feb 24, 1994, 7:27:03 PM2/24/94

Steve...@its.csiro.au writes:
> I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick
> looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.
>
> That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks

Performance jerseys are quite good and reasonably priced, as are
their shorts.

> At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
> my wife can sew me a jersey?

Probably a better idea. You might want to buy one at regular
prices so she can have some idea as to the pattern. Suggestions: 3
pockets in back with either buttons or elastic to hold them
closed. 12" zipper in front. Keep it somewhat form fitting.

> Are these jerseys really THAT good?

Mostly a convenience with the buttons and the wicking materials.
The big zipper helps too when things get hot.

> While on the topic, is polyester the only material that these
> jerseys come in?

Polyester isn't just for leisure suits anymore. CoolMax, X-Bio and
other fabrics out there are all 100% polyester, and each can feel
quite different. My CoolMax jersey is great for keeping me cool,
and I have a Performance winter jersey that is thick and keeps me
warm (but it doesn't wick moisture quite as well) and they're both
100% polyester, just different weaves. Look for poly/cotton blends
as well.

Drew

Kevin Conway

Feb 25, 1994, 12:36:48 AM2/25/94
For all those who suggested that cycling jerseys are better than sex,
you're doing something terribly wrong. Please consult alt.sex.wizards.:-)

Kevin Conway
sy...@mcs.com

Chris Gee

Feb 26, 1994, 2:06:46 PM2/26/94
Drew Saunders (dr...@krypton.stanford.edu) wrote:
: Polyester isn't just for leisure suits anymore. CoolMax, X-Bio and

: other fabrics out there are all 100% polyester, and each can feel
: quite different. My CoolMax jersey is great for keeping me cool,
: and I have a Performance winter jersey that is thick and keeps me
: warm (but it doesn't wick moisture quite as well) and they're both
: 100% polyester, just different weaves. Look for poly/cotton blends
: as well.
:
these are called "engineered fabrics" and they derive their properties
by the method of manufacture. most 'wicking' and 'thermal' fabrics
are extruded to form special shapes that wick moisture away or insulate
some have ribs on the fibers to wick and some are hollow in the center
to retain heat. the assembly into fabric also determines how 'wickable'
or how insulating the final product is. the jerseys with fuzzy insides
and shiney outsides can be both high-wicking and thermal(descente x-bio)
this can be great if you need to keep the sun off your skin(long sleeve
jerseys.) they do have tendency to retain odors, but you should be washing
them as soon as you get home(or to work). i usually just jump right into
the shower with shorts and jersey on and rinse them out real well
(don't forget to bring hangers in w/you.) i usually throw them
into the washer every other ride anyway, or when i sweat a lot.
i like coolmax, x-bio(and x-bio II, decente), dry-ice(aussie) for hot days,
and thermax for winter rides. i wish i had the time(and a sewing
machine) to make my own jerseys and shorts.
chris
Christopher W Gee (ch...@fa.disney.com) | "...this program WORKS, it just
Walt Disney Feature Animation | doesn't compile..."
Glendale, CA 91221 (818)544-2505 | "...that's as white as it gets,
| all the bits are on..."

Steven Green (+61 6 276 6813)

Feb 27, 1994, 8:59:19 PM2/27/94
In article <1994Feb24.2...@TorreyPinesCA.ncr.com> al...@TorreyPinesCA.ncr.com (Alan Tragarz) writes:
>In article <CLp3F...@srgenprp.sr.hp.com> al...@sr.hp.com (Alan Bloom) writes:
>>Steve Green (Steve...@its.csiro.au) wrote:
>>
>>: Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra
>>: shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
>>: know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
>>: leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
>>: statement?
>>
>>Once you go to the lycra shorts, you no longer have any pants pockets.
>>So then you have to buy a cycling jersey so you have a place to
>>carry things. These things have a way of snowballing... :=)
>>
>>Alan Bloom
>>
>>(Dockers and T-shirt, and proud of it :=)
>>
> Not quite. I know of more than a few riders who stuff their keys or money
>in the outside part of the leg of the shorts near the bottom. Never seen
>anything fall out from there either.

I solved that problem quite a while ago. I got one of those bum backs.
Perfect for cycling. I usually carry my keys, wallet and other stuff I
wanna be able to get to quickly in it. It's great!

Steve

BTW - I did an 80km ride yesterday with about 1000m of climbing, in 3
hours! Fitz's Challenge ...NOT A PROBLEM ! :-) :-)

--
* Steve Green * "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat!" *
* Comms Group * "That trick never works" *

Joern Yngve Dahl-Stamnes

Feb 28, 1994, 9:02:39 AM2/28/94
Thus spoke the keyboard of sy...@MCS.COM (Kevin Conway):

>For all those who suggested that cycling jerseys are better than sex,
>you're doing something terribly wrong. Please consult alt.sex.wizards.:-)

Under some circumstanses a jersey is a better choice than sex, e.g. when
riding a a bike wearing a jersey is much better than having sex. However,
while in bed, a jersey may not seem to be the best choice...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
* I went back to my mother, * Joern Yngve Dahl-Stamnes *
* I said, "I'm crazy ma, help me!" * University of Trondheim *
* She said, "I know how it feels son, * The Norwegian Institute of Tech. *
* 'cause it runs in the family." * Division of Physical Electronics *
* - The Who, Quadrophenia * e-mail: da...@fhydra.dnet.unit.no *
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Steven Green (+61 6 276 6813)

Feb 28, 1994, 9:45:49 PM2/28/94
In article <CLp1J...@csc.ti.com> sfo...@ellison.sc.ti.com writes:

[ advantages of jerseys removed ]

>I'm sure some phreds think that yah just aint cool unless your jersey
>matches your shorts matches your helmet matches your bike, but I'm
>not into spending money I don't have to buy things I don't need to
>impress people I don't like. Anyone want to diagram that last sentence?

I dunno about a diagram, but I could probably knock up a Prolog program
to model it.

Could be interesting?

Steve ( sex IS better than everything ) Green

Peter Dalgaard SFE

Mar 2, 1994, 5:22:25 PM3/2/94

>In article <CLLst...@its.csiro.au> Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:
>>At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
>>my wife can sew me a jersey? She's just done a course in
>>sewing with lycra and has already churned out 2 pairs of
>>damn good cycling shorts at around a tenth the retail
>>price.

>Hey Steve, Is your wife interested in going into business?
>Sign me up as a customer for discount lycra
>shorts, and a jersey or two. (I'm partial to
>white with red polka dots). :)

Regarding the original question: The answer seems to be that it
depends on your wife!
--
O_ ---- Peter Dalgaard
c/ /' --- Statistical Research Unit

Scott Lagaly

Mar 3, 1994, 3:01:07 AM3/3/94
Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:

>I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick
>looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.

Well, I don't really think it's a gucci pocket...

>That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
>from $80 to $200, depending on how stylish you want to
>look and whose product you want to advertise.

You should look around some more. I got both a DBR (Diamond Back
Racing) and a Mickey Mouse Fun 101 jersey for about $50 each.

>At that price I'll stick with oversized cotton T shirts. Maybe
>my wife can sew me a jersey? She's just done a course in
>sewing with lycra and has already churned out 2 pairs of
>damn good cycling shorts at around a tenth the retail
>price.

Well, try getting some Coolmax.

>Are these jerseys really THAT good? Before I wore lycra
>shorts, I though that they were a fashion accessory. I now
>know better. So, do jerseys represent another quantum
>leap in cycling enjoyment or are they more of a fashion
>statement?

I would say both. I bought a $30 plain white jersey and it helped
me to stay cool (much better than a T-shirt). I won't wear anything
other than a jersey unless it's cold or if I wear a cut-off tank top.
But, I like my "advertising" jerseys better, because I don't feel like
I'm amish or something.

>While on the topic, is polyester the only material that these
>jerseys come in? I've heard of woolen jerseys, but I can't
>wear wool against my skin. I've never been a big fan of
>polyester either.

I think there are cotton jerseys out there, but I wouldn't really
recommend them. Polyester blends tend to keep you cooler, and wick
moisture away better.

Scott

Steven L. Sheffield

Mar 3, 1994, 10:41:01 AM3/3/94
In article <2l45g3$l...@constellation.ecn.uoknor.edu> sla...@midway.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott Lagaly) writes:
>Steve Green <Steve...@its.csiro.au> writes:
>
>>I was kicking around the idea of getting one of those slick
>>looking cycling jerseys with the gucci rear pocket.
>
>Well, I don't really think it's a gucci pocket...
>
>>That was until I saw the price tag on these thinks. Anything
>>from $80 to $200, depending on how stylish you want to
>>look and whose product you want to advertise.
>
>You should look around some more. I got both a DBR (Diamond Back
>Racing) and a Mickey Mouse Fun 101 jersey for about $50 each.

Scott,

you need to remember that $50.00 US is about $90 in Australian dollars, and
the orginal poster is from Australia (hence the .au stuck on the end of
his net.site.

--

Steven L. Sheffield Disclaimer? I don't need no
Internet: biki...@netcom.com __o stinking disclaimer.