Fixing Handlebar Gear Shifter on a Fuji Hybrid Bicycle

C Yohman

Jan 22, 2008, 10:43:54 AM1/22/08
The gear shifter on my right handle that controls the 7 gears on the
back wheel (21 speed) broke. It appears I have to replace the shifter
and the attached wire that stretches back to the 7 gears. Is this
true? Either way, where can I order the part to replace it? My Fuji
Serial Number is F612Y1348.

Peter Howard

Jan 22, 2008, 12:39:30 PM1/22/08
www.jensonusa.com is a good place to start.

However, you don't give enough detail. Your Fuji serial number will mean
nothing to most people reading this newsgroup unless they are a Fuji dealer.
How old is your Fuji?
Does the bike have a model name?
Is the shifter a twist grip type or a trigger type?
Does the shifter have any brand name and model name on it? (Could be SRAM or
Shimano.)
In what way is the shifter broken? Is it cracked in half? Or does it just
not work?

PH

"C Yohman" <chance...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mike A Schwab

Jan 23, 2008, 12:00:36 AM1/23/08

As in won't stay in gear? Yes, replace the grip shifter with another
7sp grip shifter. Get one from an LBS and it should last longer.
Will come with the shifter cable.

C Yohman

Jan 23, 2008, 8:27:46 AM1/23/08
Answers inline:

On Jan 22, 5:39 pm, "Peter Howard" <bbrover...@bbbigpond.net.au>
wrote:
> www.jensonusa.comis a good place to start.

> However, you don't give enough detail. Your Fuji serial number will mean
> nothing to most people reading this newsgroup unless they are a Fuji dealer.
> How old is your Fuji?

The bike was purchased April 3, 1998.

> Does the bike have a model name?

Sagres, I believe. I will confirm that later today.

> Is the shifter a twist grip type or a trigger typ?

Twist grip.

> Does the shifter have any brand name and model name on it? (Could be SRAM or
> Shimano.)

Shimano, I believe. I will confirm later today.

> In what way is the shifter broken? Is it cracked in half? Or does it just
> not work?

It will shift gears, but not stay locked in place. Pieces of the
shifter pushed through the casing. I think it is best if I post video
of the problem. I will do that later today (I'm at work).

Sorry for the vagueness on my part. Thanks for the good questions.

> PH

C Yohman

Jan 23, 2008, 11:01:01 AM1/23/08
Do these grip shifters include instructions for removal and
installation?

Paul M. Hobson

Jan 23, 2008, 11:10:56 PM1/23/08
C Yohman wrote:
> Do these grip shifters include instructions for removal and
> installation?

More than likely. There are bountiful resources on the internet as well.

\\paul

C Yohman

Jan 27, 2008, 9:17:01 PM1/27/08
Video of the problems- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxx2qlt30w

Also, can anyone recommend a bicycle maintenance book? Thanks.

ZBicyclist

Jan 27, 2008, 9:45:30 PM1/27/08
C Yohman wrote:
> Video of the problems- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxx2qlt30w
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a bicycle maintenance book? Thanks.

"Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance" by Leonard Zinn (there's
also road bike maintenance and maybe others, but this type of shifter isn't
going to be found on a road bike).

Park Tool website might help.
www.SheldonBrown.com is usually good for what ails your bike.

--
Mike Kruger
Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

Larry Farrell

Jan 27, 2008, 11:21:15 PM1/27/08
C Yohman wrote:
> Video of the problems- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxx2qlt30w
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a bicycle maintenance book? Thanks.

While it *may* be possible to fix your shifter, the fact that you have
broken it and pieces have fallen out suggests that you would be much
better off to simply buy a new shifter. You will probably save time and
*lots* of frustration, particularly since you don't seem to be too
familiar with bike parts and repair. Simplest of all would be to take
the bike to your local bike store and have them replace the shifter.

If you are determined to fix it, and I don't believe it will be possible
to do so, look at Sheldon Brown's site as has been suggested by others.

C Yohman

Jan 29, 2008, 6:17:37 AM1/29/08
My goal is not to repair the shifter, but to find a replacement. Does
anyone know how I can find one?

On Jan 27, 11:21 pm, Larry Farrell <farrl...@isu.edu> wrote:
> C Yohman wrote:

> > Video of the problems-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxx2qlt30w

Peter Howard

Jan 29, 2008, 6:22:55 AM1/29/08

> Video of the problems- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxx2qlt30w
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a bicycle maintenance book? Thanks.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

It's a SRAM Gripshift. Shimano calls theirs Revo-shift I think.

$24.99 from Jenson USA and here is the page
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SL406A01-Sram+Mrx+Comp+Shifter+Set.aspx
It's a basic replacement grip shifter set and it looks like you get both
left and right which is nice because they are sure to match.
They have three slightly different sets for either six, seven or eight speed
rear cassettes so make sure you put the right one in your shopping basket.

I have both Zinn and the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance and also Bicycling
Magazine's book Bicycle Maintenance and Repair by Todd Downs, published by
Rodale Press. I got mine from Amazon.

Your busted cable attaching bolt from rear derailleur is a more serious
problem.
I'm guessing that your RD is Shimano.
Here's an exploded diagram of Shimanos Sora RD, part of their inexpensive
entry-level road groupset and the "cable fixing bolt unit", item 6 looks
just like your busted part.
http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/RD/EV-RD-3300-1882_v1_m56577569830609114.pdf
It has a part number and in theory Shimano should be able to supply a spare.
You could try phoning or emailing Jenson and asking. If you can identify
exactly which RD you have it would be even better.

PH

C Yohman

Jan 30, 2008, 6:45:31 AM1/30/08
Thanks.