Looking For a Backpack

Steve Osguthorpe

Nov 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/4/99
Does anybody have any advice on a backpack at least 5000 cubic inches,
internal frame frame backpack. I was looking at the North Face Fusion,
does anybody have any input or advice? Thanks in advance

Simon Martineau

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
I personnaly don't know a lot about TNF but I own a Gregory Robson bag and
find it WONDERFULL.
Steve Osguthorpe <Osgu...@ix.netcom.com> a écrit dans le message :
3822274C...@ix.netcom.com...

Peter Clinch

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
Steve Osguthorpe wrote:

> Does anybody have any advice on a backpack at least 5000 cubic inches,
> internal frame frame backpack. I was looking at the North Face Fusion,
> does anybody have any input or advice? Thanks in advance

Try on everything you can lay your hands on that fits your budget and
requirements with a good weight inside. Don't buy a pack with loads of
extra kitchen sinky bits unless you'll be using them frequently. Once
you've tried them on, select from comfort.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Peter Neil

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
In article <3822274C...@ix.netcom.com>, Osgu...@ix.netcom.com says...

>Does anybody have any advice on a backpack at least 5000 cubic inches,
>internal frame frame backpack. I was looking at the North Face Fusion,
>does anybody have any input or advice? Thanks in advance

Hi,

I just started out with a North Face Spectrum (about 4400ci) and found it too
small and the pockets were shaped funny (long and tubular and mostly useless if
you needed to get at something at the bottom). So, I upgraded to the Fusion
and found it plenty roomy, adjustable and comfortable. The double pockets are
roomy and have a double zipper so you can get at stuff either at the top or
bottom.

I got it on sale from www.shopems.com for about $235.

Regards,

Peter.

J...@drexel.edu

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99

Steve Osguthorpe <Osgu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any advice on a backpack at least 5000 cubic inches,
> internal frame frame backpack. I was looking at the North Face
Fusion,
> does anybody have any input or advice? Thanks in advance

Another important factor besides volume is the weight you will be
carrying. If your load will consist mostly of fleece and a fluffy
sleeping bag, any old suspension will do. But if your laod will include
lots of water for dessert hiking, or a wekk's worth of food, then make
sure that the suspension will carry upwards of 40-50 llbs. if needed.

I've tried several TNF packs in the store, and found that when loaded
down, they tend to sag (as do nearly all backpacks with internal stays).
However, Dana, Arc Teryx, and Gregory packs in that volume range all
hold loads extremely well. Of these, the Dana Glacier was most
flexible/comfortable, the Arc Teryx Bora 90 had by far the most
comfortable padding, and the gregory had the best load control. I went
for the Gregory wind Wind River, which is a little bigger than you want
(6085 ci) but the same suspension can be had onthe Shasta and the
Pallisades, both smaller. All of the aforementioned packs, btw, come in
various sizes (torso lengths) so that rather than having a "one size
fits all even if we have to force it" approach, you are likely to find a
pack that actually fits you.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Erik Plakanis

Nov 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/5/99
to Steve Osguthorpe
Among other things, we rent backpacks. We have a bunch of the top of
the line Kelty, Lowe, and Dana Design backpacks. When I go into the
backcountry, I always use my 15 year old Mountainsmith Frostfire. I do
not have any experience with the North Face packs, but I have never
strapped a more comfortable bag on my back.

This spring the rodents along the AT were horrible. I set my pack down
at a shelter long enough to filter a quart of water. A mouse ate
through the top compartment of my bag right at the zipper. I called
Mountainsmith to find out how much the repair would cost, and they told
me nothing, just send in the bag. I told them that they misunderstood
me, that the bag was 15 years old, and that a critter ate through the
material. They said it was covered under their lifetime warranty. The
bag returned with an excellent repair, plus new straps.

For Mountainsmith to be able to stand behind their products so strong
after all this time they must be doing something right.

Christian Adams

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Lowe Alpine Countour. Fantastic stuff.

Jerry Richards

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
I purchased a Kelty *Zuni* about three months ago. The salespeople were a
little put off by the fact I (a male) was purchasing a pack designed for the
female body. Well the pack fits just excellent and it's already got at least
200K on it.
Stereotyping I think on their part.

I spent some time looking over the packs available and my decisions came
down to Lowe Alpine and Kelty. They didn't have the LA I wanted in stock so
of course the Kelty joined my gear list. So far I'm am satisfied with it. I
carry + - 40lbs with it usually.

hth

jr