IFR enroute cockpit management re-visited

A Lieberman

Mar 28, 2005, 11:23:37 AM3/28/05
Just curious how others do it?

I am going from MBO (Madison MS) to 2G2 (Steubenville Oh) via BWG (Bowling
Green KY).

Since there are no major cities involved while en route, I figured to file
direct.

I was suppose to depart today, but the double barrel low decided to slow
down, so I intend to depart tomorrow (Tuesday). Embedded Thunderstorms,
high winds at my destination airport were my EASILY decided no go decision
for today.

I have a separate flight bag just for my charts! I have 4 IFR en route
maps (one I use back and front), 2 AFD's, 5 VFR sectionals, 2 NACO approach
plates, 2 flight guides inside this "extra flight bag".

I plan to use the passenger seat as my desktop, and have in order, the maps
crudely folded to display most of my routes, have both NACO approach plates
ready for action (tabs for my alternates). I will have my MBO and BWG
plates on a clip on my yoke.

Since weather is expected to be clear, I don't think I will need my
alternate. 2G2 does not have a published approach that I can execute (2G2
has a GPS approach, but my 250XL is not certified IFR).

I plan to have my 2 flight guides bookmarked to the destination airports
out on the passenger seat to assist me on taxing on the ground

I have a VFR only Garmin 250XL in the plane, the Garmin handheld 296 as
well, thus my reason for direct filing.

I know I can't use it as primary for navigation under IFR, so I figured to
make sure I have all maps out, and as I proceed, dial in all the VOR's so I
can tell what radial I am at should I have to request to hop on a victor
highway.

If I didn't have to return on Wednesday (weather considerations since
Thursday brings another round of thunderstorms), I would have done victor
routes either going or returning.

The thing I have a question about is how to organize these maps so it's
easily accessible? I can't imagine being bumped around in IMC and having
to deal with unfolding maps so you can follow along, though I am sure
others do it.

I am just curious what do others do on IFR cross countries that exceed more
then one map or more then one landing? My long IFR cross country did not
exceed one map, so I only had to deal with approach plates, which was
rather easy since I was able to anticipate the runway based on wind
conditions.

Allen

Brad Zeigler

Mar 28, 2005, 12:44:20 PM3/28/05
Autopilot helps, of course. I just stack them in order of need. The AFD's
generally stay in the flight bag unless they're needed...most of the
necessary info can be gleened from the terminal procedures books. I find
that even in turbulence, straight and level flight allows the oportunity to
fish out the necessary chart.

Some folks like to bath the charts and books with highlighters and sticky
notes...in the everchanging IFR environment I find highlighted routes to be
distractions.

"A Lieberman" <lieb...@myself.com> wrote in message

A Lieberman

Mar 28, 2005, 1:50:46 PM3/28/05
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:44:20 -0500, Brad Zeigler wrote:

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the tips!

> Autopilot helps, of course.

No AP unfortunately. It became inop when I had the turn coordinator
replaced by my A$P so this will be hand flown the whole way.

>I just stack them in order of need.

Being the bored person I am today, I tripped out to the airport and got
things in order in the plane. I got one of those accordion type folder
holders and put my maps in them to hold them in place. Once I am finished
with the map, I plan to toss it in the back seat.

> The AFD's generally stay in the flight bag unless they're needed...

I did exactly this as well. My VFR sectional's are also in there. I
figured the Garmin 296 will give me what I need in a pinch as well.

> necessary info can be gleened from the terminal procedures books. I find
> that even in turbulence, straight and level flight allows the oportunity to
> fish out the necessary chart.

I just worry about getting the leans when I reach for something even as
close as the passenger seat. I have not done a cross country in hard IFR.
So far, I have been getting away with climbing through the deck and
descending through the deck. I was really looking forward to some hard IFR
time today.

> Some folks like to bath the charts and books with highlighters and sticky
> notes...in the everchanging IFR environment I find highlighted routes to be
> distractions.

The only thing I did was highlight all the VOR frequencies in my flight
path and also drew a line for my path in a pink highlighter. I also went
to http://arion.doit.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/flightplan.cgi and put in my flight
path and printed out all the information provided. I highlighted only the
VOR frequency, so I have an easy one page document to anticipate the next
VOR.

Allen

Icebound

Mar 28, 2005, 4:55:07 PM3/28/05

> Once I am finished
> with the map, I plan to toss it in the back seat.

Easily-reachable back seat???

There is no chance that.... 5 seconds after the toss, a failure or some
other unforeseen circumstance may require a course-reversal????

A Lieberman

Mar 28, 2005, 5:19:00 PM3/28/05
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:55:07 -0500, Icebound wrote:

> Easily-reachable back seat???
>
> There is no chance that.... 5 seconds after the toss, a failure or some
> other unforeseen circumstance may require a course-reversal????

Point well taken Icebound....

One thing though, knowing me, in the "real world", if something failed or
something unforeseen came up, I would request ATC assistance / clearance /
vectors anyway, and forget the formalities of "course reversal".

Now, keep in mind, I will have my departure airport instrument approach
procedures in my yoke clip, for that just in case failure pops up shortly
after I launched and I have to execute an approach back to my own airport.

If it was radio failure ONLY, and the plane was running ok, then I would
proceed on to my cleared through point and squawk 7600.

Allen

John Clonts

Mar 28, 2005, 7:38:23 PM3/28/05

"Brad Zeigler" <bra...@comcastpork.net> wrote in message news:nZOdnaimAbb...@comcast.com...

> Autopilot helps, of course. I just stack them in order of need. The AFD's generally stay in the flight bag
> unless they're needed...most of the necessary info can be gleened from the terminal procedures books. I find
> that even in turbulence, straight and level flight allows the oportunity to fish out the necessary chart.
>
> Some folks like to bath the charts and books with highlighters and sticky notes...in the everchanging IFR
> environment I find highlighted routes to be distractions.

I don't use highlighter pens, but I do use post-it notes, such as for "bookmarks" in the NACO procedures books.
It's hard to flip through them looking for your airport with one hand. I use a binder clip to keep the book
open, OR I'll just tear it out and put it on my clipboard. For Airports/approaches that I fly more often I
keep the looseleaf page(s) from a previous book. I have two or three plastic sleeves that each contain the
several pages for a given airport. When each new book comes out I check the amendment number and toss the
sheet if it's expired. If a flight is to an airport that I'm not familiar with or I expect a challenging
flight I will also tear out the approach plate and usually slip it into a sleeve with the approach on one side,
and perhaps the airport diagram on the other. I've been pretty happy with that system...

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas

Gene Whitt

Mar 29, 2005, 11:09:40 AM3/29/05
Allen,
I would suggest pre-folding your sectionals the way I suggested on my web
site. (whittsflying.com) This reduces size to 11" X11" with accordian
pleats along the way.

Regarding IFR emergencies: Considering the fatigue factor involved with
multiple missed, partial panel and other things, I have decided for me the
best out is to head to nearest VFR while I have fuel.
Gene Whitt

Robert Chambers

Mar 29, 2005, 5:44:58 PM3/29/05
Never a truer word spoken. Part of my briefing for a hard IFR flight is
"where is my closest VFR" and if it's beyond the range of my tanks I'll
more than likely not go.

Cary Mariash

Mar 30, 2005, 5:37:39 PM3/30/05
Allen, you may want to look at Howie Keefe's AirChart system. I have
used this for many years and find it much easier to manage on long
cross-countries (either IFR or VFR). You may want to give it a try.

Cary Mariash
CP-ASMEL/IA

In article <1k5xp3ktxs25m.11gzr1ey8mlm7$.d...@40tude.net>,
A Lieberman <lieb...@myself.com> wrote:

> Just curious how others do it?
>

> I have a separate flight bag just for my charts! I have 4 IFR en route
> maps (one I use back and front), 2 AFD's, 5 VFR sectionals, 2 NACO approach
> plates, 2 flight guides inside this "extra flight bag".

Charlie Derk

Mar 30, 2005, 8:56:18 PM3/30/05
Hey Allen -

I just was reading through the latest issue of Private Pilot and saw a
little write up on something that'll be perfect for your trip. I think
I may purchase a subscription: http://www.airchart.com

Contains the whole country's worth of IFR enroute charts in a handy
11x11" sprial bound book. $99 for a year subscription

Now if they can just do the same thing for sectionals, I'll be in heaven.

Hope this helps!
Charlie

A Lieberman

Mar 31, 2005, 8:51:37 AM3/31/05
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:23:37 -0600, A Lieberman wrote:

> Just curious how others do it?
>
> I am going from MBO (Madison MS) to 2G2 (Steubenville Oh) via BWG (Bowling
> Green KY).

Well, did this trip, and return home safely to tell about it. And learned
more and more and more.....

First of all, I can't state enough, what a privilege it is to be able to
fly. Enough said on that. Now on to the "rest of the story".

On Monday, due to the weather in Ohio, I didn't go. This actually gave me
time to go to the airport, and set up the airplane and get my self situated
for Tuesday's flight. I put all maps, and all approach plates in the
passenger seat. I put numbers on the en route charts so that I didn't have
to figure which map was next, being one first and so on. I put my palm
pilot in the right seat for my fuel management program. This program will
beep when there is a 5 gallon difference between tanks. It also gives me a
good graphical representation of what is in my tanks and calculates how
much running time I have left based on what I set for GPH. I burn about
9.5 GPH, so I put in 10 GPH for my "safety net". I put my flight guides
for airport layouts in a bag that was very easily accessible on the floor
behind the passenger backseat.

Monday night, I filed my flight plans through FSS. I filed from MBO to BWG
direct, and then BWG to 2G2 direct. I got a outlook briefing, and the only
clouds to be encountered were in Ohio, and it was to be scattered out by
the time I got there. Tailwinds for the first leg, and head winds for the
second leg.

Tuesday morning. Get to the airport, do my preflight, and pickup my
clearance from JAN. Sundowner xxxx, cleared as filed, climb to 5000,
squawk xxxx, clearance void if not off by xxxx, I read back my clearance,
and JAN says read back correct, change to advisory frequency approved. I
change over to MBO frequency, and depart on 17.

To be quite honest, the flight up was as mundane as it gets. The air was
as smooth as it gets, and the tail winds made the flight too short. To
keep me busy, I had tuned in all the VOR's en route as I approached them so
I could follow my progress along on the en route maps. As I progress on
the maps, what I did was toss them on the passenger floor rather then the
back seat. From BWG to 2G2, the flight was as expected, except the head
winds were not as strong as forecasted. The only clouds encountered were a
scattered to broken layer at 3000 feet, that were only 500 foot thick. At
BWG, I was a little nervous about picking up my IFR clearance, as there was
no remote outlet. I had to pick it up in the air through center. That
actually worked out better then I expected. I climbed to 2000 VFR, and
called into center, center had my IFR flight plan and told me to proceed on
course after giving me CRAFT.

While I was en route, I did keep my wife informed of my progress through
text messaging. More on this later as well....

Wednesday morning. I had made arrangements to meet friends at MFD
(Mansfield OH) for a $100 breakfast instead of a hamburger. One is a non
current pilot, and the other had never been in a small GA plane. Winds
were rapidly picking up, as when I departed 2G2 at 6:00 a.m, they were calm
and by the time I got to MFD, winds were out of 190 at 12 knots. MFD is
class D, with an approach control. After my call up, Mansfield assigned me
a squawk, said expect runway 14 and never said anything else after radar
contact. I was a little confused, so I called back in, and said Approach,
43L unfamiliar with the area, do you provide radar vectors or do I self
navigate. Mansfield approach said either can be provided, and I said no
problem self navigating, I just wanted to do the right thing. Approach
came back and said that is much appreciated. So, I self navigated myself
to MFD and landed on 14. Not one of my best cross wind landings, but my
goal was to plant the mains so the winds didn't make me drift.

My wife and I meet our friends and then my friends and I take off, my wife
stays behind as we thought maybe another friend may show up. I do a full
preflight, we trundle out to 14 and off we go. 45 minutes later, we come
back, and about 5 miles out, Mansfield approach says to me, I need you to
slow down, and I may need to have to 360 you for spacing as runway 14 is
now closed due to a disabled aircraft on the approach end of 14. WTF I was
thinking to myself, didn't mention anything to the "new passenger". Sure
enough, there was one plane ahead of me, and now we were number 2 for
landing. Tower advised winds were from 190 at 12 gusting to 17. Crap, I
thought to myself, as the last thing I wanted to do was introduce a new
passenger to a cross wind landing.. First plane declined the runway
assignment and asked for vectors for the nearest airport that had a better
runway alignment. Tower then came back to me and ask if the runway
assignment would be a problem. I said no. I then briefed my passenger on
what to expect for cross wind landing, and explained to her, that if
something did not feel right, we would make a low pass over the runway
(go-around). I honestly was ready to go around the entire approach. I set
myself up on a straight in 2 mile final. My tracking was as stable as can
be. When I was one mile final, I called into tower for a wind check.
Winds were 190 at 13 knots with no gusts which really explained why my
tracking was so good, without bumps (somebody was looking out for my first
time passenger!). My landing was much better then the first landing I did
with my wife, so I was pleased.

My poor wife on the other hand had more anxiety then I did. EMS and fire
trucks was rolled on the call for the disabled aircraft on runway 14. I
only heard one call regarding this on the normal frequency asking if there
were any injuries, so we knew that the plane had crashed. Rather unnerving
to say the least. Needless to say, a huge sigh of relief was noticed when
we pull up on the ramp not even 2 minutes after the equipment rolled. Our
friends and I part our ways, and my wife and I return to 2G2.

At 2G2, I set up everything in reverse. I knew the winds aloft would be
strong, but I didn't expect them to be as strong as they were. I was more
nervous about picking up my clearance as Pittsburgh approach is hard to get
a word in edge wise. I lift off, and sure enough, radio chatter all over
the place. Finally after climbing through 3000, I make contact with a
controller, and after 3 frequency changes, got my clearance. Onward to
BWG. 6000 feet, my ground speed was crawling. Air was smooth. So, I
figured to request 4000 due to head winds. At 4000, it was light to very
occasionally moderate turbulence. I had this the entire 300+ miles.
Before landing at BWG, I get ASOS, and the winds were 20 knots, gusting to
26! Fortunately right down the runway. I was thinking to myself, what was
with these winds. No big deal landing, as no wind correction was needed.
While in BWG, I got another briefing. Interesting developments ahead! JAN
was reporting 1800 ceilings. Tops were reported at 6000. Something was
changing..... Clouds on satellite were about 60 miles north of JAN and
moving steadily north. The weather wasn't suppose to move in until
Thursday. Looked at the winds aloft, and winds were now close to 40 knots
at 6000 feet.

Picked up my clearance and off I go. 6000 feet air was smooth, but same
problem. My ground speed dropped down to 75 knots. 35 knot headwind just
wasn't going to make it for me. So, I requested 4000 and was approved.
This time the air was not as bumpy, but also the terrain was not as hilly,
so I figured that the terrain was causing the bumps on the first leg.

About 45 minutes later, I was asked to climb to 5000 feet or utilize the
IFR no radar procedures. First thing I thought was crap, I am not on an
airway, no "black triangles" for the compulsory reporting points! So, ATC
improvised by having me report 60 miles from the BWG VOR (glad I was
following along the route as I had that tuned in!), and then 30 miles from
the VOR.

While en route, I was text messaging my wife my progress. About 220 miles
from home, I saw my first signs of clouds through the haze. I text message
my wife, told her expecting IMC, will call her after landing. About 200
miles, I entered scattered to broken clouds. I felt like I was living a
fast forward movie! The clouds were racing by me, but my ground speed now
dropped to 85 knots. More head winds I see. Night time was coming fast,
and 186 miles from home, I was in complete IMC. To be quite honest, I
learned that night IMC is actually a little easier then night flying. The
nav lights on my wings cast a nice glow within the clouds, and I really
found them re-assuring. I would scan my instruments, and then to relax my
eyes, just glance out both windows to look at my nav lights. So, now I
am trundling along in the clouds, with the a light grey look to it from the
nav lights. I could tell when I was near the tops as it would appear
slightly darker as I traveled along. About 100 miles from home, the radio
lights up with all sorts of traffic asking for vectors. Not knowing where
these planes were, I call into center for weather advisories explaining I
am in IMC and want to be sure I don't fly into anything I shouldn't suppose
to be in. Center reports no echoes.

About 75 miles, I hear it starting to rain! I call back into center,
reporting the rain and asked for an update on radar. He reported that the
next 10 miles would be light rain (sounded harder then "light"). Sure
enough, the level of noise reduces to the drone of the engine after 10
miles.

About 40 miles out, I start picking up more rain AND getting turbulence in
the clouds. Not the normal up and down turbulence, but sideways
turbulence! I did not like that feeling, so I called into Center and
requested 3000 due to me getting thumped around in the clouds. He approved
my descent to 3000 and I get out of the bumps.

As I got closer, I realized, this is the "real deal". No training, no
practice, this was my first cross country that will be ending in a real
deal instrument approach. Center hands me off to JAN approach. JAN says
expect the visual approach into MBO. I declined that approach and
requested the VOR alpha approach since I was in IMC. JAN said, proceed
direct to JAN VOR. I was about 20 miles out, and had already set up my
NAV1 and NAV2 radios for JAN, set my DME to the NAV1 radio. So, I was
pretty much ready for the approach. About 20 miles out, I started
wondering if approach was going to expect me to do the full procedure but
at 15 miles out, approach provided me vectors for the final approach course
(whew I thought!). Did my T's at the FAF, started my 700 fpm descent, and
broke out at 1600 feet. After being 2.5 hours in the clag, I could only
breath a sigh of satisfaction seeing the city lights! But I knew also, my
job wasn't done until I was tied down. So, after 3 minutes 20 seconds, I
saw I was still 2 miles from the airport. It then occurred to me that the
winds aloft were pushing me back. My ground speed was 68 knots at MDA! My
night landing was uneventful, I taxi back to the ramp, and man, it felt
good to stand up! 4 hours on that leg from BWG to MBO. Knowing my wife
would be worried, since I was 1/2 hour longer then expected, my first call
was to her.

Total time flying 15.9 hours. 2.5 IMC and 2 hours of night.

Things learned...

Picking up clearances is really not that big a deal from an uncontrolled
airport. Naturally, it was easier for me since I could depart VFR.

Night IFR. FOR ME, it was no big deal, as I kept in my head, the airplane
does not care if it's day, night, IMC or VFR. I just had to keep flying
the plane. The glow of the nav lights as strange as it may be were very
comforting to me. At least I had something to see outside *smile*.

Night IFR reading charts. I know they say red lights preserve your vision,
but I had a terrible time reading charts with red lights. I used white
lights to read the approach charts. It was much more difficult at night
flying the plane, using a flashlight to read.

Night IFR It's also much more important to have everything in place,
checklist approach charts well before you initiate the approach. Reaching
for things in the dark doesn't do good for your ears.

Weather changes rapidly! When I left, there was no forecast of rain, no
thunderstorms, only scattered clouds in Ohio. I was expecting more IMC
going then coming. After landing and returning home, come to find out MS
was under a tornado watch. Thunderstorms blossomed shortly after I arrived
in my flight path! Somebody must have been looking out for me!

I could have done the full procedure VOR alpha approach, but after 4 hours
flying, I sure was glad that ATC reduced that workload on me.

ATC are your friends. I am still amazed how helpful they become even under
the extra stress of bad weather.

Allen

Mark Hansen

Mar 31, 2005, 10:08:29 AM3/31/05
What a great story. I'm curious about something, though. It sounded
like your wife was at home and with you at the destination airport?

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA

A Lieberman

Mar 31, 2005, 11:01:48 AM3/31/05
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:08:29 -0800, Mark Hansen wrote:

> What a great story. I'm curious about something, though. It sounded
> like your wife was at home and with you at the destination airport?

Mark

My wife went up to Ohio before me commercially and I met her up there.

She doesn't like being in my plane for any longer then an hour or so. She
comes back tomorrow via commercial airline.

For her, I think this will be a "confidence builder", as she sees it can be
done.

I know she wouldn't have liked the IMC part, as I did take her once in IMC
for a one hour flight where we went through the deck and broke out on top.

She actually was fine inside the cloud. It was the reality when we broke
out on top, she couldn't see the ground!

She has been fantastic throughout my learning, and so far, she has logged
72 hours with me (she keeps her own log on her palm pilot), so I will not
complain one bit! She averages one to two times a month flying with me.

Allen

Cary Mariash

Mar 31, 2005, 12:50:50 PM3/31/05
Charlie, AirChart also puts the whole US in sectionals (I think it is in
2 bound volumes). It works great!

Cary

In article <jeednewwC4R...@rcn.net>,

Don Byrer

Mar 31, 2005, 10:03:31 PM3/31/05
MFD is one of those places where you don't even need to call Approach
if you're VFR. Call the tower, and they'll clear you-unless they are
unusually busy. I usually call approach anyway, just for the practice
and for the monitoring.
The 'radar room' at MFD is about 16x24 and has 2 radar displays.

No mention of rwy 23 (?) That should have been available...and 10
degrees less x-wind. 14-32 is the preferred runway, tho.

MFD has no airline traffic...lots of training flights, everything
from little guys to big iron...saw a NWA Airbus 340 doing training
approaches into there about 8 years ago. Also C-130 traffic from the
co-located AF base. You may fly into there at night and find the
airfield lights are turned off for the C-130's using night vision.
They'll turn 'em back on for ya. Controllers there are very helpful
and usually have a good sense of humor, too.

Good restaurant, too...been there a few dozen times...Glad you had a
good visit there...

--Don

>Wednesday morning. I had made arrangements to meet friends at MFD
>(Mansfield OH) for a $100 breakfast instead of a hamburger. One is a non
>current pilot, and the other had never been in a small GA plane. Winds
>were rapidly picking up, as when I departed 2G2 at 6:00 a.m, they were calm
>and by the time I got to MFD, winds were out of 190 at 12 knots. MFD is
>class D, with an approach control. After my call up, Mansfield assigned me
>a squawk, said expect runway 14 and never said anything else after radar
>contact. I was a little confused, so I called back in, and said Approach,
>43L unfamiliar with the area, do you provide radar vectors or do I self
>navigate. Mansfield approach said either can be provided, and I said no
>problem self navigating, I just wanted to do the right thing. Approach
>came back and said that is much appreciated. So, I self navigated myself
>to MFD and landed on 14. Not one of my best cross wind landings, but my
>goal was to plant the mains so the winds didn't make me drift.

Don Byrer
Electronics Technician
FAA Airways Facilites/Tech Ops, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE
Amateur Radio KJ5KB
Private Pilot Instrument Student
PP-ASEL 30 Jan 2005

A Lieberman

Mar 31, 2005, 10:29:28 PM3/31/05
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:03:31 -0500, Don Byrer wrote:

Hi Don,

> MFD is one of those places where you don't even need to call Approach
> if you're VFR. Call the tower, and they'll clear you-unless they are
> unusually busy. I usually call approach anyway, just for the practice
> and for the monitoring.
> The 'radar room' at MFD is about 16x24 and has 2 radar displays.

I was surprised that the airport didn't have TRSA around it on the VFR
sectional since they had an approach control. Interesting information
about MFD approach control!

Did they have some additional air traffic in the past to require approach
control? Gulfport MS is also a class D, but they have TRSA, so I figured
to play it safe, and call into approach.

> No mention of rwy 23 (?) That should have been available...and 10
> degrees less x-wind. 14-32 is the preferred runway, tho.

I guess I wasn't clear on the first post. First landing with my wife was
14, but once 14 was closed due to the accident, then 23 was assigned.

BTW, no injuries on the accident per NTSB website. Failed landing gear on
landing for a Cardinal 177. Glad to hear that as that was on my mind for
quite some time.

> Controllers there are very helpful
> and usually have a good sense of humor, too.

You are so right on this. Very helpful especially when I 'fessed up and
said unfamiliar with area. I guess they could tell that when I called in
20 miles out :-)

When approach cleared me for 14, due to the high winds, I took a longer
final then normal (2 mile final) so I could get a feel for what tracking I
needed, and tower called me up to be sure I had airport in sight. I
reported back and said yes, setting up my base for final, and he said, I
figured that, but the approach guys were wondering.

> Good restaurant, too...been there a few dozen times...Glad you had a
> good visit there...

Nice and convenient, the Flying Turtle! Not too many restaurants where you
can taxi up to. That is where I met my friends. They live in Belleville
and Lexington.

I lived in Fredericktown Ohio for about 15 years before moving to MS.

Allen