PCAS interfering with radio

John Sinclair

Feb 17, 2007, 3:33:36 PM2/17/07
I'm getting strong interfrence on 123.3, 123.5, 122.8
& 121.5 whit my ZAON PCAS using ships power. No problem
if I use PCAS internal pen-cels. Anybody else had this
problem, how'd you fix it?
JJ

John Sinclair

Feb 17, 2007, 3:34:09 PM2/17/07

jcarlyle

Feb 17, 2007, 4:24:34 PM2/17/07
JJ, I'm in the process of wiring mine in but haven't tried it in the
air yet. Two thoughts: (1) try wrapping the ship's power lead twice
through a ferrite bead (with the bead close to the Zaon), and if that
fails (2) call Zaon at (800) 496-9430 on Tuesday for help. Good luck,
and please let us know if (and how) you solve the problem.

-John

On Feb 17, 3:34 pm, John Sinclair

Randy

Mar 6, 2007, 9:43:11 AM3/6/07
JJ,
Do you have any update on the fix for the "strong interfrence on
123.3, 123.5, 122.8
& 121 with my ZAON PCAS using ships power".

Randy

Eric Greenwell

Mar 6, 2007, 10:08:35 PM3/6/07

Which Zaon unit was it? I just wired in a Zaon MRX, but didn't think to
test the radio. Tomorrow!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

John Sinclair

Mar 7, 2007, 9:49:39 AM3/7/07

I sent my ZAON MRX, back for a fix, about 2 weeks ago.
Nothing yet. A local electronic whiz made me a choke
to place in the power supply leads, but I haven't tried
it because I don't have the unit. My PCAS was hitting
all the low frequencies hard, so I believe it is sending
the interfrence back down the 12v leads. OK, on internal
3v pen cells.
I'll post when I get it back from ZAON Looks like a
neat unit. I live near Hwy. 50 which has a lot of IFR
traffic (I follow roads) and I have watched traffic
march down from 5 miles to 1 mile where I get 2 beeps,
then 4 beebs inside 1 mile. All this with an altitude
difference read-out (+800)................just what
we want to know.

The other night, I was playing with it and Pat asked,
'what's that beeping'. I replied, can't talk right
now, I'm in a hard turn looking for someone inside
a mile at +400 feet and closing fast!
Cheers,
JJ

John Sinclair

Mar 7, 2007, 10:00:30 AM3/7/07

I sent my ZAON MRX, back for a fix, about 2 weeks ago.
Nothing yet. A local electronic whiz made me a choke
to place in the power supply leads, but I haven't tried
it because I don't have the unit. My PCAS was hitting
all the low frequencies hard, so I believe it is sending
the interfrence back down the 12v leads. OK, on internal
3v pen cells.
I'll post when I get it back from ZAON Looks like a
neat unit. I live near Hwy. 50 which has a lot of IFR
traffic (I follow roads) and I have watched traffic
march down from 5 miles to 1 mile where I get 2 beeps,
then 4 beebs inside 1 mile. All this with an altitude
difference read-out (+800)................just what
we want to know.

The other night, I was playing with it and Pat asked,
'what's that beeping'. I replied, can't talk right
now, I'm in a hard turn looking for someone inside
a mile at +400 feet and closing fast!
Cheers,
JJ

At 03:12 07 March 2007, Eric Greenwell wrote:

John Sinclair

Mar 9, 2007, 2:57:09 PM3/9/07

Well, I got my PCAS MRX back from ZAON, they added
a EMI filter, but it's still breaking squelch on 123.3
& 5. So, I added a choke filter and she's quiet as
a mouse on ships power. The choke has 4 little coils
(2 in each power lead) with a capacitor going between
them. Can find out the exact description if anyone
want's it.
JJ
PS, I also added a sheet of black plastic (x-ray film)
to cut down reflections and extended it back to act
as glare shield.....slick as snot.

At 03:12 07 March 2007, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>John Sinclair wrote:

Message has been deleted

Randy

Mar 11, 2007, 10:02:05 PM3/11/07
I used my PCAS yesterday and it worked flawlessly. I used 123.3 and
123.05 with no problems.

Randy