Pilot weight/Cockpit load

Flyhighdave

Jan 2, 2004, 1:28:19 AM1/2/04
Members of this group have provided me with lots of helpful advice & info to
help me sort through the many glider types and find the right first ship for
myself. Thanks for your help! I have another question.
I'm a big guy and could possibly weigh as much as 250lbs dressed for cold
weather flying & wearing a parachute. It appears like many single seat gliders
will not accomodate me weight wise
Which single seat gliders can handle a 250 pounder like myself and still remain
within limitations?
Thanks for all your help!
David Roth

goneill

Jan 2, 2004, 3:23:04 AM1/2/04
If you can find a 2 seater to be trained in then the single seaters that
will fit in
are limited by 2 factors .I am similar size and I find the measurements that
are
critical are the shoulder width and the width of the seapan at the points
where
lap belts come through and directly above where it transitions to the
shelves
that has the u/cart and airbrake handles are on.
2/strs the twin astir is 45cm at the belts and curves wider at the
transition to48cm
at the shoulders 58cm, I fit with room to spare

lap trans shoulders
Nimbus 2 40 40 55 needs lead in tail
ventus b 42 42 56 "
LS3/LS4 44 45 56 "
Lak 12 44 44 (50) narrow at shoulders and
shallow in total
depth but allows
150 kg pilot weight ,if you
are the right shape
Mosquito 44 44 54 have to lay down to fit.
I have no measurements on ASW20/19/27 yet
Jantar 2a 2b/20.5m open and standard 2 and 3 all the same cockpit have no
cms
but said to be very large
SZD55 and Genesis 2 the same, no measurements but said to be very large
Several of these gliders would need 30-70mls extra welded into the base of
stick
to lift the the shaped piece under the grip to give clearance to to the legs
get
full left and right back stick.
Most single seaters have a 110kg weight limit although several new gliders
have 120kg
Lead has to be fitted into the tail to counter balance and a new Weight and
Balance done
gary

"Flyhighdave" <flyhi...@aol.com> wrote in message

BTIZ

Jan 2, 2004, 2:07:21 PM1/2/04
most "glass" european built gliders have the 240# max seat limit (cockpit)..
it's based on their certification standards to remain in tact on impact.

Most older US built (Schweitzer) aircraft do not have the seat weight limit.
Just watch the CG and Max GW.

Also, keep in mind that many gliders may have a "Max weight of non flying
parts.

BT

Bob Kibby

Jan 2, 2004, 9:54:51 PM1/2/04
My SZD-59 Acro manual says 243 lbs (242 lbs in another section). By the way
my SZD-59 Acro is for sale. If interested reply to my e-mail.

Bob Kibby

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador