Glider Pilot Dress Code

Ken Kochanski (KK)

Apr 29, 2007, 8:07:30 PM4/29/07
So, I had just started to assemble the ship, when my partner rolled
up.

Are you kidding? I would like to get out of the partnership, but that
could be tough ... could I get the FAA to pull his cert? ... after
all, this has to indicate some level of mental imbalance.

You can't even see the worst part ... yep, padded buns ...

http://www.pgcsoaring.org/ops%202007/chip%20outfit.jpg

KK

Ken Kochanski (KK)

Apr 29, 2007, 8:11:03 PM4/29/07
BTW, this is Chip Fitzpatrick ... he will be at the 15M Nats in
Mifflin, USA ...

chipsoars

Apr 29, 2007, 8:21:20 PM4/29/07
On Apr 29, 8:07 pm, "Ken Kochanski (KK)" <kkbusin...@comcast.net>
wrote:

KK,

you are just jealous that you don't get out on a bike and get into
shape............

Considering glider pilot chic with goofy looking hats, grease stains
from AS spars and the glider field tans, I'll take the abuse for the
bike togs. As for imbalanced, we're all bozos on this bus.

But there will be some form of payback, somehow, some day, when you
least expect it ;-}, partner!

Chip F.
KKjr

bagmaker

Apr 30, 2007, 6:46:42 AM4/30/07

Is that a caterpillar on your shirt?

--
bagmaker

Jim Vincent

Apr 30, 2007, 11:11:18 AM4/30/07

"Ken Kochanski (KK)" <kkbus...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Ken,

Are you talking about Chip? If so, I'll vouch for his mental
imbalance...which I guess is why he's a good guy;-)

Shawn

Apr 30, 2007, 12:07:17 PM4/30/07

Serious GRS jersey Chip.
You'd look right at home on the roads around Boulder (or SF, I'm sure) ;-)

Shawn

Jim Vincent

Apr 30, 2007, 12:49:38 PM4/30/07

"Shawn" <s.curr...@bresnan.net> wrote in message

If you're in SF, make sure there aren't any holes in your pockets. If a
quarter falls out, you'll have to kick it all the way to San Jose before you
can bend over to pick it up!

Ken Kochanski (KK)

Apr 30, 2007, 1:10:49 PM4/30/07
Jim,

This may be the most politically incorrect comment I've seen on
RAS ... well, maybe not ...

KK

Paul Hanson

Apr 30, 2007, 1:41:07 PM4/30/07

>> Serious GRS jersey Chip.
>> You'd look right at home on the roads around Boulder
>>(or SF, I'm sure)
>> ;-)
>>

>> Shawn
>
>If you're in SF, make sure there aren't any holes in
>your pockets. If a
>quarter falls out, you'll have to kick it all the way
>to San Jose before you
>can bend over to pick it up!

Hmmm, or maybe thats what the padded buns are actually
for...

Paul Hanson
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Jim Vincent

Apr 30, 2007, 2:21:43 PM4/30/07

"Ken Kochanski (KK)" <kkbus...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I dunno know about that Ken. When I lived in SF, that was a standing joke.
It was a gay friend who told it to me!

chipsoars

Apr 30, 2007, 2:46:03 PM4/30/07
On Apr 30, 1:41 pm, Paul Hanson
> "Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi- Hide quoted text -

Well I'm glad to have provided RAS some amusement...........

Chip F.

wave...@charter.net

May 1, 2007, 9:45:53 AM5/1/07
I think meybe he is a plumb smuggler?

Brian Glick

May 1, 2007, 10:01:18 AM5/1/07
Hey Chip.......All of us at Mifflin look forward to harrassing you as well.
I have seen worse biking outfitts..........I just don't remember when!!!!!
LOL

Brian Glick

<wave...@charter.net> wrote in message

chipsoars

May 1, 2007, 11:47:51 AM5/1/07
On May 1, 10:01 am, "Brian Glick" <blm2...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hey Chip.......All of us at Mifflin look forward to harrassing you as well.
> I have seen worse biking outfitts..........I just don't remember when!!!!!
> LOL
>
> Brian Glick
>
> <waveg...@charter.net> wrote in message

> >I think meybe he is a plumb smuggler?- Hide quoted text -

Gee thanks Brian, I can hardly wait. Maybe I'll just show up like
that to the safety meeting to lighten it up a bit. I don't think I'm
the only cycling glider pilot though.

I don't know and really am not sure if I want to know what the

KK, I'll be thinking of something real special in return of this
favor. There might even be some contest guys willing to help in this
regard too.

Chip
KKjr

Dan G

May 1, 2007, 1:17:04 PM5/1/07
> http://www.pgcsoaring.org/ops%202007/chip%20outfit.jpg
>
> KK

Is it a safety thing? Must improve glider visibility somewhat...

Dan

SAM 303a

May 1, 2007, 2:11:07 PM5/1/07

"chipsoars" <ch...@fitzpatrick-family.org> wrote in message

> that to the safety meeting to lighten it up a bit. I don't think I'm
> the only cycling glider pilot though.
> Chip
> KKjr

Orville & Wilbur are two that come to mind.

I like to take my bike out the the field and go for a ride in the country.
But good god man, I change into crummy shorts and an old spar grease stained
shirt and a funny hat before flying. Have a little respect.

Shawn

May 1, 2007, 2:21:34 PM5/1/07
chipsoars wrote:
> On May 1, 10:01 am, "Brian Glick" <blm2...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Hey Chip.......All of us at Mifflin look forward to harrassing you as well.
>> I have seen worse biking outfitts..........I just don't remember when!!!!!
>> LOL
>>
>> Brian Glick
>>
>> <waveg...@charter.net> wrote in message

>>> I think meybe he is a plumb smuggler?- Hide quoted text -
>
> Gee thanks Brian, I can hardly wait. Maybe I'll just show up like
> that to the safety meeting to lighten it up a bit. I don't think I'm
> the only cycling glider pilot though.

Not hardly! I posted my response from experience.
I'm off right now to ride around the Boulder area in spandex myself. :-)

Shawn

Ken Kochanski (KK)

May 1, 2007, 2:57:00 PM5/1/07
have a photo?

Jim Vincent

May 1, 2007, 3:25:58 PM5/1/07

"Dan G" <dan...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Well, all the field assistants at PGC are required to wear those funky
orange or green visibility jackets. I guess now the pilots are required to
dress as well.

chipsoars

May 1, 2007, 4:13:32 PM5/1/07
On May 1, 3:25 pm, "Jim Vincent" <gapa...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Dan G" <dang...@gmail.com> wrote in message

To set the record straight, I showed up a the field (which is close to
home) to meet another pilot and go out on a ride from the field, like
anyone will believe that on this group. But I did give a spring check
ride while waiting that went for an hour. I did notice that the local
vultures were seemed to be avoiding us.

Geez, can't you find a PW-5 or 1-26 pilot to pick
on...................

Kochanski, wipe that silly smirk off your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maciek

May 2, 2007, 4:50:18 AM5/2/07
On May 1, 3:25 pm, "chipsoars" <ch...@fitzpatrick-family.org> wrote:

> Geez, can't you find a PW-5 or 1-26 pilot to pick
> on...................

Hey! What do you find wrong with PW-5 pilots?

Maciek K.

Ken Kochanski (KK)

May 2, 2007, 7:11:39 AM5/2/07
So, how should you dress for a XC flight, where you might land out.

Should you dress up in cool stuff to impress the locals - or dress in
rags to get some sympathy ... or dress like a pilot (quasi military)
to get some repect.

Also, this may apply to underclothes as well ... you never know when
you may wind up in someone's photo op ... I seem to remember a photo
of Hank Nixon in his tighty-whities pulling his 27 out of a lake.

KK

01-- Zero One

May 2, 2007, 8:49:18 AM5/2/07

"Ken Kochanski (KK)" <kkbus...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1178104299.9...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> So, how should you dress for a XC flight, where you might land out.

Down in this neck of the woods, it doesn’t hurt to have a well-used and dirty John Deere baseball cap laying in the back to put on ‘real quick like’ when you land in some farmer’s field.

Larry

“zero one”

Sally W

May 2, 2007, 9:47:18 AM5/2/07
At 11:12 02 May 2007, Ken Kochanski Kk wrote:
>So, how should you dress for a XC flight, where you
>might land out.
>
>Should you dress up in cool stuff to impress the locals
>- or dress in
>rags to get some sympathy ... or dress like a pilot
>(quasi military)
>to get some repect.

I guess most of us hope to land out less often than
we make it back to base, so the answer to this one
is surely 'whatever takes your fancy'. Cycling lycra
for example (including padded buns tee hee) would be
just as acceptable as the more usual garb of worn old
clothes, strange hats, and layers and layers of fleece
for winter wave flights. Aside from our own prejudices
of course. :D

However...

>Also, this may apply to underclothes as well...

*always* clean, at least to start with...

Brian Glick

May 2, 2007, 11:08:45 PM5/2/07
What did he call that photo........the first semi-nude picture in soaring
magazine I think. He will forever be Admiral Henry "Hank" Nixon for that one

uncl...@ix.netcom.com

May 3, 2007, 8:31:52 AM5/3/07
On May 2, 11:08 pm, "Brian Glick" <blm2...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> What did he call that photo........the first semi-nude picture in soaring
> magazine I think. He will forever be Admiral Henry "Hank" Nixon for that one
>
> "Ken Kochanski (KK)" <kkbusin...@comcast.net> wrote in messagenews:1178104299.9...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

> > So, how should you dress for a XC flight, where you might land out.
>
> > Should you dress up in cool stuff to impress the locals - or dress in
> > rags to get some sympathy ... or dress like a pilot (quasi military)
> > to get some repect.
>
> > Also, this may apply to underclothes as well ... you never know when
> > you may wind up in someone's photo op ... I seem to remember a photo
> > of Hank Nixon in his tighty-whities pulling his 27 out of a lake.
>
> > KK- Hide quoted text -

Just because Kochanski can't keep his eyes off his partners butt, I
gotta get sucked into this thing!
And they weren't white.
Child molesters get forgotten sooner.
UH

Chip Bearden

May 3, 2007, 12:07:45 PM5/3/07
> Just because Kochanski can't keep his eyes off his partners butt, I
> gotta get sucked into this thing!
> And they weren't white.
> Child molesters get forgotten sooner.
> UH-

UH, as you approach your golden years and the legacy you leave for
future generations, forget about your years as an instructor and
tireless promoter of all types of soaring, your work with junior
pilots, your contest record, your national championship, your presence
on U.S. World Teams, and your winglets installed on gliders around the
world. All anyone will ever remember is that one
"landing" (splashdown?) and the photographic aftermath.

Life isn't fair. :)

Chip Bearden
JB
New Jersey, USA

Papa3

May 3, 2007, 2:21:56 PM5/3/07
On May 2, 8:49 am, "01-- Zero One" <l...@goddard.com> wrote:

> "Ken Kochanski (KK)" <kkbusin...@comcast.net> wrote in messagenews:1178104299.9...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:
>
> Down in this neck of the woods, it doesn't hurt to have a well-used and
> dirty John Deere baseball cap laying in the back to put on 'real quick
> like' when you land in some farmer's field.
>
> Larry
>
> "zero one"

Larry, ain't the proper usage "right quick"?

William Safire

01-- Zero One

May 3, 2007, 2:28:27 PM5/3/07

Bill, you have obviously confused Georgia with Alabama

Larry

Ken Kochanski (KK)

May 3, 2007, 2:59:35 PM5/3/07

> And they weren't white.

Makes no difference ... it's a generic term ...
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001997.html

> Child molesters get forgotten sooner.

what, sooner then then "Rear" Admirals ?

:-)

KK