Cambridge Software Problems

Shaber CJ

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
I am having problems running the Cambridge software on my new lap top computer.
This very same software runs fine on my mini tower running Windows 95. I have
a Compaq lap top 1920, running windows 98.

Failure Modes:
1) If I attempt to start the promgram from Dos c:/cai> by typing GPS I get the
error message "run-time error R6003- integer divide by 0". This program will
not start from the Dos prompt.

2) If attempt to start from windows by double clicking the GPS or GPSFAST icon
in the Cai folder I some times can open the program (20%) but most of the time
(80%) I will get the same message as above. If the program opens I can display
a Flight Log OK, but if I try to go to "PC Databases";or "Preferences" I get
the error listed in (1).

I bought this computer so I would not have to bring the GPS box home to uploand
and download*&&R#*(&%$. Any Ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Cheers

Craig

MW

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

Shaber CJ wrote:

> I am having problems running the Cambridge software on my new lap top computer.
> This very same software runs fine on my mini tower running Windows 95. I have
> a Compaq lap top 1920, running windows 98.

If Bill Gates got a nickel every time some version of Windows crashed or
frustrated, he's be the richest man in the world!

Mitch Deutsch

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
I recently bought a Pentium 450 and had similar problems as described here.

I went to the Cambridge web site and downloaded version 5.6 of the software
and it has been smooth sailing (soaring) since!

Mitch Deutsch

Shaber CJ wrote in message <19990123095544...@ng59.aol.com>...

>I am having problems running the Cambridge software on my new lap top
computer.
> This very same software runs fine on my mini tower running Windows 95. I
have
>a Compaq lap top 1920, running windows 98.

Lars Peder Hansen

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
He IS the richest man in the World. -Now does that tell us something about
Windows? ;-)

Happy soaring,
Lars Peder.

MW wrote in <36A9EB...@NOSPAMjuno.com>...

Jim W

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99

You done broke de code.

Lars Peder Hansen wrote:

> He IS the richest man in the World. -Now does that tell us something about
> Windows? ;-)

> >If Bill Gates got a nickel every time some version of Windows crashed or
> >frustrated, he'd be the richest man in the world!

Dave Ellis

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Here are some facts,

The Cambridge software problem with fast computers comes from an antique
database program we used, not from Microsoft. The "obsolete database
software" fix came from AMD.

Regards,

Dave Ellis

By the way -- I CAN discriminate between humorous and serious writing.

John M. Morgan

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
My Winter vario reads about 50 feet up all the time. I removed the face and
swung the cover out of the way which revealed a slotted screw that is
recessed about 1/4 inch. I gently tried turning it but it didn't move. There
is a small brass wheel behind the needle spindle that has round cutouts
around it's perimeter - but that too did not turn under gentle pressure.
Directions included with glider don't offer any help. How can I zero this
thing?

--

John Morgan <bump...@castles.com>
To REPLY please remove aviation part of address.

David Brunner

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
John,

I have heard that this is caused by the luminous paint decaying over the
years and the needle becoming lighter.. so you can try adding a small amount
of white paint to the pointer. Don't forget it will initially read lower
until the paint dries and the solvent has evaporated.

I will confess I haven't tried this, but it seems logical. Just add VERY
small amounts to see the effect, and remember it will be difficult to remove
if you add too much.

Good Luck,
David

Mark and Laura Zivley

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Adding paint to the needle will work. I choose clear fingernail polish
as I didn't have any white paint. I used a toothpick to carefully dab a
very small amount on the needle until it would balance. Good luck.

Zulufive

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

The instructions I have say:
1) Remove glass front, making sure that o-ring doesn't stick to the glass and
drag against the pointer.
2) Rotate screw retaining the central cover plate CCW to expose the pointer
dog-leg.
3) VERY carfuly, bend the dog leg so as to move the painted tip in towards the
the center if resting too low, out towards the rim if too high. It is the
BALANCE that is being adjusted, not the pointer relationship to the shaft
position.
Good luck,
Steve Bralla

Daniel J. Dunkel

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
I redid mine last winter. The brass wheel behind the needle is what needs
to move to reset the needle.

First, we tried to rotate the wheel. With moderate pressure, it wouldn't
move.

Next, from what I remember, there was what appeared to be a set screw for
the spindle. We tried to loosen it a bit. Because of the awkward position
of the set screw, we couldn't tell if we actually loosened it any or not.

Finally, I placed quite a bit of pressure on the brass wheel. It finally
rotated.

I am not sure which of the two actions finally allowed us to rotate the
wheel, but it work. Just to make sure, we tried to tighten the set screw.
I couldn't tell if it moved any or not.

Good luck,
Dan Dunkel
LS3-17 (4S)

David Brunner <brun...@jmu.edu> wrote in message

Donald Ingraham

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
David Brunner wrote:

> John,
>
> I have heard that this is caused by the luminous paint decaying over the
> years and the needle becoming lighter.. so you can try adding a small amount
> of white paint to the pointer. Don't forget it will initially read lower
> until the paint dries and the solvent has evaporated.
>
> I will confess I haven't tried this, but it seems logical. Just add VERY
> small amounts to see the effect, and remember it will be difficult to remove
> if you add too much.

I did this to center a vario that had no screw-adjustment.
It read almost 100 up all the time. I removed the glass
and dipped the end of a sewing needle in some nail polish
(not my good Saturday night stuff, of course ;-). I wiped
most of it off by dabbing a piece of paper in the same
manner I planned to dab the vario-needle (so I could see how
much I would transfer). Work in *bright* light. When I
could harldy see any more polish being transfered to the
paper, I dabbed the sewing needle onto the vario needle
(near the base, not the tip!) and watched it drop down
*much more* than I imagined it would. I dabbed it twice
to get it a zero. Be careful. Good luck.

Don Ingraham