NEW Declaration Requirements

Judy Ruprecht

Sep 29, 2009, 2:45:02 PM9/29/09
Questions? ask THEBAD...@SSA.ORG

New Sporting Code rules go into effect on 1 October, and most changes have
been posted online at SSA.org since May. As of 25 September, however, a
finding by FAI�s International Gliding Committee (�IGC�) ALSO means that
as of 1 October 2009 -

� A pre-flight declaration is required for ALL badge and record flights
using an IGC approved Flight Recorder (�FR�). This declaration must
include the glider�s registration or serial number, NOT AN SSA-ASSIGNED
CONTEST NUMBER!!

Solutions for FR users depend on the FR and who�s using it...

� For ANY FR and any flight other than a World Record attempt, SSA
recommends the following for new FR users, an FR used in multiple aircraft
and in any case when pilot, aircraft or task data entered in an FR cannot
be verified for accuracy and changed if necessary before take off:

- The pilot prepares a written declaration ready for an OO�s signature
- On the intended flight date, the OO performs a pre-flight FR
installation check and the FR is turned on; a task may be entered if
desired
- The OO waits a few minutes, then adds his/her signature, date & time to
the written declaration
- No further tinkering with FR task entry, and make sure the FR remains ON
until after landing

� When an electronic declaration is used, the pilot is responsible for
making sure the correct pilot name, flight crew name (if any), aircraft
information and task are entered in the FR before flight. Please note -

- Almost all IGC Approved FRs accept the 6 characters permitted for US
registration numbers; use FR �set up� software to enter the glider�s
registration (�N�) number in the �Glider ID� data field.

- Cambridge model 10, 20 and 25 FRs have a 3-character limit on �Glider
ID� data entry; use FR �set up� software and in the �Glider ID� data
field, enter the last 3 digits of the glider�s serial number, as shown in
US registration records online at
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

- For multiplace records, use FR �set up� software to enter at least first
initial & last name for both pilot and flight crew in the same data field;
use complete names on record forms. FRs approved in the future will
include separate data fields for pilot & flight crew names.

- Using a PDA or after-market software? These may over-write data in FR
memory and/or limit the number of characters transferred to any FR data
field. Test to make sure all required data is correctly transferred to the
FR and contact software vendor(s) for guidance if needed.

Questions? Please contact me at thebad...@ssa.org

Judy

Chris Ruf

Sep 29, 2009, 7:45:20 PM9/29/09
On Sep 29, 2:45 pm, Judy Ruprecht <jl_rupre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> -       Almost all IGC Approved FRs accept the 6 characters permitted for US
> registration numbers; use FR “set up” software to enter the glider’s
> registration (“N”) number in the “Glider ID” data field.

So if we use the N number in the flight recorder then use that flight
recorder for a US contest we might have trouble with Winscore.
Winscore keys pilot identity off the Contest Number.

Maybe we request a modification and get winscore to read in either
contest ID or N Number and output Contest ID. [would need to add N
number record to the Contestant data].

Without this change it would be a major hassle to have to switch back
and forth between Contest ID and N Number. This could be mutually
exclusive if you wanted to do a declared task during a contest day.

Chris

T8

Sep 29, 2009, 9:13:13 PM9/29/09

The best fix would be to get the registration # requirement out of the
Sporting Code. It adds NOTHING. It's the OO's job to associate
pilot, flight recorder and sailplane at the start of the flight.
Having N number, serial number or even pilot name in the e-declaration
is meaningless without the OO to testify that things are, in fact
correct, and this done on the application (which the OO must sign).
No logical reason to do it twice.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Uncle Fuzzy

Sep 29, 2009, 9:49:48 PM9/29/09
> -Evan Ludeman / T8- Hide quoted text -

I'll grant that it seems redundant. I have experience only with
Cambridge CFRs, but it takes just a minute or two to change the glider
reg number and / or pilot name. If you are making your declaration
electronically, you're in there anyhow. I use the Cambridge utility
3UTPC255.EXE from my laptop, or 3UTIQ257.exe from my pda. Unless I'm
mis-reading the Badge Lady's post:

"...and in any case when pilot, aircraft or task data entered in an FR

cannot
be verified for accuracy and changed if necessary before take off:
- The pilot prepares a written declaration ready for an OO’s
signature
- On the intended flight date, the OO performs a pre-flight FR
installation check and the FR is turned on; a task may be entered if
desired
- The OO waits a few minutes, then adds his/her signature, date
& time to
the written declaration
- No further tinkering with FR task entry, and make sure the FR
remains ON
until after landing"

Sounds like a paper declaration is still valid, assuming the above
procedure is followed.
One thing to watch out for if you are making the declaration
electronically.... at least on the Cambridge units, I'm pretty sure
the power has to be cycled after making the delaration in order for
the CFR to log the flight.

I'll be a whole lot more upset if they ever get rid of sectors than
this bit of administrivia will get me. I've proven to myself dozens
of times I can't hit a cylinder @ 16,000 feet without being head down
and locked staring at a pda.

Steve Leonard

Sep 29, 2009, 11:30:02 PM9/29/09
At 23:45 29 September 2009, Chris Ruf wrote:
>Without this change it would be a major hassle to have to >switch back
and forth between Contest ID and N Number. >This could be mutually
exclusive if you wanted to do a >declared task during a contest day.

>Chris

Another option, Chris, would be to buy another logger! I only fly with
one at a time, but I think I have 9 of them now. All models of old school
Cambridge.

Notice that Judy made the suggestion of using the gliders serial number.
1-26ers catch a break there!

Thanks for the update here, Judy!

Steve

Darryl Ramm

Sep 30, 2009, 3:55:57 AM9/30/09

Sounds like you are using a Cambridge 302, there should be no reason
to reboot a 302 after making a declaration. And I would not do that.
Basically set pilot and glider info and make the electronic
declaration and then don't touch anything. And then make and have the
OO sign the paper declaration just in case.

Ditto on the thanks to Judy.

Darryl

Steve Leonard

Sep 30, 2009, 8:30:04 AM9/30/09
Oh, and if you turn any cambridge unit off after making the declaration, it
is dumped so you have to start over. As Daryll said, "Declare it, start
it, and leave it alone!"

I suspect most other FRs are the same?

Steve

Peter Purdie

Sep 30, 2009, 9:15:02 AM9/30/09
Whenever a question arises, it is often best to go back to the source
document.

New Sporting Code (valid from October 1 2009, Declaration section:

4.2.1 Declaration content
a. Date of flight.
b. Name of the pilot-in-command, and the flight crew if any (see Annex C,
para 6.3c).
c. Glider type, and its registration or serial number or unique
NAC-assigned contest number.
d. The make, model and serial number of the FR used (as recorded in the
igc file for the flight). For any barograph or GPS position recorder
used, the make, model and serial
number as verified by the OO before flight.

Therefore the Competition number assigned by the SSA is perfectly good,
and most of this thread is irrelevant..............

T8

Sep 30, 2009, 9:40:52 AM9/30/09

I made that argument, and it was not accepted.

-T8

Uncle Fuzzy

Sep 30, 2009, 10:25:10 AM9/30/09

I know only about the 302 series. Mine holds a declaration until I
change it.
This declaration was set up somtime before 3 May 2009, and stayed the
same (through several flights) until after 20 June 2009. It was
changed after that because I loaned my glider with logger to a club
member to fly his silver duration and distance.

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE030509
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:James D. Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C020808020121010808000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE100509
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:James D. Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C020808020121010808000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE300509
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:James D. Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C020808020121010808000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

ACAMC2Y
HFDTE200609
HFFXA050
HFPLTPILOT:Jim Wynhoff
HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:Speed Astir
HFGIDGLIDERID:16UF
HFDTM100GPSDATUM:
HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION:F1.7
HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION:300 Series Version 2
HFFTYFRTYPE:CAMBRIDGE AERO INSTRUMENTS, CFR
HFGPS:GARMIN,LVS-25,12,18000
HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR:INTERSEMA, MS5534-AP, 20000
I033638FXA3941ENL4247REX
LCAMSBVER:5FWVER:F17200
C100609024644090609000102
C0000000N00000000WTAKEOFF
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C3623000N11713300WPinto Pk
C3516500N11443320WSpirit MTN
C3546220N11519700W*Jean
C0000000N00000000WLANDING

Darryl Ramm

Sep 30, 2009, 12:01:56 PM9/30/09
On Sep 30, 5:30 am, Steve Leonard <zuni...@yahoo.com> wrote:

No sorry that is definitely not true either. The declaration is
nonvolitile. But I just would not mess with the recorder by
deliberately turning it off.

These misconceptions or might arise because of what is strange
behavior of older Model 20/25 GPS such as if you make a new
declaration it will overwrite the old declaration on any existing
flights in the recorder. There seems to be lots of confusion on
declarations and many recorders do have bizare behavior. Judy has many
horror stories. Practice making electronic declarations and make a
paper one after the electronic one.

Darryl

Papa3

Sep 30, 2009, 2:07:01 PM9/30/09
On Sep 30, 9:15 am, Peter Purdie <pe...@afeonline.com> wrote:

Hi Peter,

Sometimes, it is important to go back and carefully re-read the
wording of a rule :-)

The catch is that 4.2.1.c refers to a "unique NAC-Assigned contest
number." The SSA (and several other large NACs) do not assign a
unique contest number to an aircraft; rather, the contest number is
assigned to the pilot. In the context of the rule, the
interpretation handed down by the IGC is that "unique" refers to the
combination of the contest number and aircraft. The IGC folks were
very clear that the situation in the US is such that the competition
number would not meet the requirements. We tried very hard to explain
the impact of this situation, but we ultimately were asked to concede
the point.

Regards,

Erik Mann
Chair, SSA FAI Badge & Record Committee

HL Falbaum

Sep 30, 2009, 2:13:07 PM9/30/09

"Papa3" <pap...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Hi Peter,

Regards,

Erik;

Thanks anyway for the effort.
--
Hartley Falbaum
USA "KF"

Judy Ruprecht

Sep 30, 2009, 2:30:04 PM9/30/09
At 01:49 30 September 2009, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
(yada, yada, yada)

>I'll be a whole lot more upset if they ever get rid of sectors than
>this bit of administrivia will get me. I've proven to myself dozens
>of times I can't hit a cylinder @ 16,000 feet without being head down
>and locked staring at a pda.

Not to worry. In fact, as of tomorrow, Cylinders have been dropped from
the options available for Start & Finish. They can still be used at Turn
Points, WITHOUT the requirement for all Turn Points to use the same OZ
type. (There is still that pesky 1/2 km "Cylinder Correction" penalty,
though, for each time the courseline crosses a Cylinder boundary.

Judy

Judy Ruprecht

Sep 30, 2009, 6:15:02 PM9/30/09
>On Sep 30, 5:30 am, Steve Leonard wrote:

>> Oh, and if you turn any cambridge unit off after making the

declaration, it is dumped so you have to start over... I suspect most

other FRs are the same?

At 14:25 30 September 2009, Uncle Fuzzy (Jim Wynhoff) wrote:

>I know only about the [Cambridge] 302 series. Mine holds a declaration
until I change it....

------

Ah yes, the vagaries of FRs!

You two prove there's little consistency in how various models deal with
declaration procedures and/or assigning declaration date & time.

Actually, Jim, the first line of the "C" records in your data files
indicates that recurring declaration was made on August 2, 2008 at
02:01:21 UTC, for a flight made on August 1, 2008. (Dates are UTC as well,
so from the looks of it, this was an in-flight or post-flight declaration
for an August 1, 2008 flight in Nevada. Some FRs permit this, though I
think it's chiefly a Cambridge quirk... and it can happen accidentally,
when taking an in- or post-flight look at the declaration and pushing the
wrong button(s) to exit that screen.)

Please check your User Guide for the 302 - I seem to recall that the
omni-present declaration is a user-set option in this model... if so, you
may want to see what the other option(s) is/are.

Yet another variation on declaration date & time: a Volkslogger will cling
tenaciously to a task in memory for weeks/months or longer... assigning it
a different date & time EACH TIME the FR is turned on and begins
recording. This invalidates any carefully-made written declaration signed
on the "big day," but before the FR is turned on.

This is also how a pilot flying in Texas in August ends up surprised by an
electronically declared task he�d entered in June, during a contest in
California. (One of exactly 2 instances when I've approved claims based
on a technically invalid written declaration - the other involved a pilot
flying in Pennsylvania, with an electronically declared task in Germany.)

Bottom line... if you prefer a written declaration OR you don't know and
can�t check exactly what�s entered in the FR, the best advice is this:
Prepare a written declaration ready for an Observer�s signature ... TURN
THE FR ON... fiddle with an electronic declaration if you like, but then
knock iti off, leave the FR on and have the Observer sign the written
declaration, adding the date & time.

Judy

Judy Ruprecht

Sep 30, 2009, 8:45:03 PM9/30/09
(Steve Leonard quoted:

>At 23:45 29 September 2009, Chris Ruf wrote:
>>... it would be a major hassle to have to switch back

and forth between Contest ID and N Number. This could be mutually
exclusive if you wanted to do a >declared task during a contest day.

>>Chris

The scorer may have put in some extra time at the 18-meter Nationals to
get this squared away, but I recall seeing a number of competitors' IGC
files posted online in July, and some did, others didn't include a
contest number in the "Glider ID" Field.

As it happens, "Glider ID" is the data field IGC Technical Specs for FRs
have for years defined as a mandatory "Header Record" for ""the unique
registration alphanumeric of the individual aircraft." Given some
variation among FR models, the data will appear at IGC file line 6 or
thereabouts, preceded by "HFGIDGLIDERID:".

The next ten or so IGC file lines are reserved for other mandatory Header
Records and below these, Tech Specs provide for a "Competition ID" line,
starting with
"HFCIDCOMPETITIONID:" This is an optional data field, but most FRs DO
provide for it.

Perhaps some new equations need to be added, but scoring programs - like
the spreadsheet I use for claim evaluation - can parse out anything
that's in a predictable place and/or marked by clear identifying text.

Judy

Darryl Ramm

Sep 30, 2009, 11:31:58 PM9/30/09
On Sep 30, 3:15 pm, Judy Ruprecht <jl_rupre...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Please check your User Guide for the 302 - I seem to recall that the
> omni-present declaration is a user-set option in this model... if so, you
> may want to see what the other option(s) is/are.
[snip]

Judy

I am pretty sure there are no settings in the Cambridge 302 that
change this type of declaration behavior or persistence. There are no
settings exposed in the Cambridge utilities or in the documented
dataport commands, and the 302 documentation describes only one
behavior of "Header data is stored with each flight log file. This
means pilot name and task declarations can be changed from flight to
flight." After hassles with people clobbering past declarations with
the Model 20/25 I bet they were happy to be able to claim that.

I suspect the main area of confusion is always just editing/defining a
task vs. actually declaring it, whether doing so from a PDA or from a
Cambridge 303.

So with a 302 you can change the declaration and it will persist for
all future flights until changed again or deleted. The documentation
implies the change to the task is supposed to be made to the next
flight log--in principle stopping you accidentally editing your
current declaration. But I have never tested what actually happens
with the 302 if you try this.

Darryl

Abigel Edward

Oct 1, 2009, 8:30:04 AM10/1/09
Dear Sir.

How are you sir hope everything is moving well.
My name is Abigel Edward i am 19 years old from ivory coast west
Africa,Sir i am requesting for your assistance for an investiment in your
country which i will want my money to be transferd to your account for an
investment pupose, if you are willng to assist me and my brother to come
over to you after the money most have been to your account i will be very
very greaful and will uplift you more and more.we are orphans and we
don't know what to do with this money which our late father left before
he died that is why we need your advice and to gueide us so that our
$7.5million dollars will not lost in a wroung hand.I will be waiting for
your Urgent respons.

This is my private email contact me here for an easy commucations
abigel...@yahoo.com

Thanks and God bless you.

Sincerly
Abigel Edward