Mini 500 on ebay

Micbloo

Apr 14, 2001, 9:10:44 PM4/14/01

Yup, your own Mini 500 for sale on ebay.
Starting price at $25,000.
Item # 579352130
Located up in Milford, NH
So far, since April 12.... NO BIDS!!!
C'mon guys, lets get going!!!!

Gerard

Bill Geddes

Apr 15, 2001, 3:51:08 PM4/15/01
I guess you missed the thread about the guy wanting to buy one and being
told to leave the money to charity and jump off a bridge? Summarized, but
to the point.

"Micbloo" <mic...@aol.com> wrote in message

cheapbyte

Apr 15, 2001, 5:14:31 PM4/15/01
I noticed in the description that it had an emergency locating beacon. I
would have thought that would be standard equipment on a Mini 500.

Mike

Jamie Krasnoo

Apr 24, 2001, 6:01:59 PM4/24/01
Are you saying that mini 500's are death traps? Not that I would realy trust
anything that advertises in the back section of Popular Science.

Jamie

"Bill Geddes" <Bge...@intergrafix.net> wrote in message

Bob Barbanes

Apr 24, 2001, 11:46:39 PM4/24/01
Jamie Krasnoo asked:

>Are you saying that mini 500's are death traps?

Where've you been!

The short answer is: YES!

But in case you're relatively new to our little industry and may have missed
the Mini-500 debacle, the long answer is somewhat more complicated. The
Mini-500 was a bastardization of another design from South America called the
CH-7 Angel (now marketed in this country by Lance Neibauer and Lancair). Back
in the early to mid-'90s, a scoundrel named Dennis Fetters took the basic
design of the "guts" (for lack of a better term), fitted (one hesitates to say
"crafted") a body that looked something like a Hughes/MD-500, then foisted it
off on an enthusiastic but unsuspecting public. There were problems. Oh,
there were problems! Too many to go into here. But some VERY experienced and
talented helicopter pilots lost their lives in the machine.

Under much controversy, the company went bankrupt and the owner fled. The
surviving ships are now all orphans, yet there are still owners who keep them
and fly them and love them.

I started to detail just a few of the Mini's problems, but this post started
looking like something written by Feodor Dostoyevsky so I just deleted it.
Suffice to say, the Mini proved the theory that it is VERY difficult to bring a
durable, affordable, reliable helicopter to the masses.

Postscript: As my friend Jordan and I went through the main gate at Sun & Fun
this year, off to the left a black Mini-500 caught our eye. As we eyed it, a
man in a wheelchair came over and offered us a $20 chance to win the ship in a
raffle. "The proceeds go to helping the disabled," he said. To which I shot
back, somewhat insensitively, "Oh yeah? The person who wins just might become
one." He was not amused. "Well, if you won it you could cut it up and make
sure it never flies again. For twenty bucks, that's not such a bad deal," he
said sourly. Ouch.

Anyway, that's a tiny slice of the Mini-500 story. The best advice about the
ship is simply to stay away.

Bob Barbanes

"The dignity of the craft is that it creates a fellowship."
Antoine de St. Exupery

Micbloo

Apr 25, 2001, 7:23:26 PM4/25/01

>Postscript: As my friend Jordan and I went through the main gate at Sun &
>Fun
>this year, off to the left a black Mini-500 caught our eye. As we eyed it, a
>man in a wheelchair came over and offered us a $20 chance to win the ship in
>raffle. "The proceeds go to helping the disabled,"

Mmmm, wonder how he became disabled?
From flying in the Mini 500?

Gerard