dirt strips in CA

Mark Moon

Mar 3, 2003, 7:55:16 PM3/3/03
Anyone know of any dirt strips in SoCal where they won't shoot you or call
the sheriff if you land there? I know one, Rose Valley just North of Ojai.
Any others out there? Thanks! -Mark

C J Campbell

Mar 3, 2003, 8:18:34 PM3/3/03
Ocotillo Wells.

"Mark Moon" <rsgou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Larry Dighera

Mar 4, 2003, 10:17:52 AM3/4/03
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:55:16 -0500, "Mark Moon"
<rsgou...@hotmail.com> (Mark Moon) wrote in Message ID
<b40tka$g5t$1...@sun-news.laserlink.net>:

>Anyone know of any dirt strips in SoCal where they won't shoot you or call
>the sheriff if you land there? I know one, Rose Valley just North of Ojai.
>Any others out there? Thanks! -Mark

Have you got lat/long coordinates for Rose Valley?

Below is what was published in the winter 2001 issue of Pilot Getaways
magazine:

"Fly-in, walk to Roy's Motel and Cafe (est. 1936), and have a seat
in the diner for a double burger, fries, and milk shake. Check
out the star's autographed photos on the wall, and let your
imagination take you back to the era when it took ten days to
cross the country.

The uncharted airstrip has two unimproved runways. Runway 12/30
is soft dirt with a few rocks and is about 3,600 feet long.
There is a 100-foot overrun into the parking lot of Roy's diner,
but it is not recommended that you use it; the gas pumps lie
just past the overrun. Watch out for a three-foot mound on the
east side of the runway, about 1,000 feed south of the threshold
to Runway 12, which narrows the usable runway from 50 feet to
about 40 feet. Runway 08/26 is about 1,550 feet long and in poor
condition with a lot of brush. At the end of the runway is a
six-inch-deep drop-off; taxiing over it could cause a prop strike
for nose wheel aircraft. Avoid the tall antenna (about 100 ft.
tall) [behind] the diner, just southeast of the intersection of
the two runways, nest to the diner. The coordinates are: 34°
33.55' N, 115° 44.65' W, Elevation 660 ft. MSL.

For more information, contact the diner at (76) 733-2463,
www.rt66roys.com ."

http://www.airnav.com/airport/8CL1
8CL1 Lake Wohlford Resort Airport
Escondido, California, USA

Bear Creek, Murrrieta (closed?)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/CA70
CA70 Sun Hill Ranch Airport
Helendale, California, USA

http://www.airnav.com/airport/L78
L78 Jacumba Airport
Jacumba, California, USA

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSAS
KSAS Salton Sea Airport
Salton City, California, USA

Essex?

Rice?

Coxcomb?

Cadiz?

Ibis?

Mark Moon

Mar 4, 2003, 12:48:18 PM3/4/03
I found it marked "LANDING STRIP" on the following topo map:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3823731&e=296494&s=50&size=l

Mark

"Larry Dighera" <LDig...@att.net> wrote in message

Mark Moon

Mar 4, 2003, 1:26:31 PM3/4/03
Larry,
Thanks for all the info, and what a great site about the hidden airfields
where I see a number of your photos. You must have been interested in this
stuff for quite some time. -Mark

Mark Moon

Mar 4, 2003, 5:55:38 PM3/4/03
Larry,
Thanks for the info. And I see your pictures are on the very cool hidden
airfields page.
Rose Valley is appx. 34.5369 N, 119.2175 W
Mark

Larry Dighera

Mar 5, 2003, 3:48:32 PM3/5/03
Have you got any information on the surface condition of the landing
strip at Rose Valley?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:26:31 -0500, "Mark Moon"

<b43b00$2er$1...@sun-news.laserlink.net>:

>Larry,
>Thanks for all the info, and what a great site about the hidden airfields
>where I see a number of your photos. You must have been interested in this
>stuff for quite some time. -Mark

It's fun to fly over the remains of the old WW-II divisional campsites
on the way to Las Vegas or Laughlin and imagine Patton training his
tankers in preparation for the invasion of North Africa.

clyde woempner

Mar 6, 2003, 10:29:01 AM3/6/03
L78 Jacumba, right on the border, just a few miles from where I was raised.
I have not been there for years, but I understand it is still there. Be
careful of density Alt, and tricky winds. It is also a gravel strip & that
can do damage to your prop and/or airframe & paint. There use to be a small
dirt dam at one end, and yrs ago a brother & sister flying ,I believe a PT22
there father gave them, crashed there. Both were killed. Check your flight
guild, it list low use airports.
Clyde

in...@airplanelistings._no_spam_com

Mar 6, 2003, 3:22:48 PM3/6/03
sure, I have two brothers in california... but I don't know what... ooops,
I thought you said Dirt BAGS in California... soory...

--
Matt Lang
AirplaneListings.Com