Pirep on replacing interior plastic parts

1 view

e.drucke...@verizon.net

Apr 11, 2005, 8:11:04 PM4/11/05
A recent post bemoaned the high cost of replacement interior plastic parts
from the original manufacturer (in this case, Cessna). I suggested that
parts of this type are available, often at lower cost, from PMA sources.
This led to a discussion of relative merits of original vs. PMA, etc.

Yesterday, my partners and I installed a number of interior plastic parts on
our 1979 Piper Arrow IV. The biggest and most involved part was the
overhead console/vents We also installed new floor vent cups and a front
rib cover. (You PA-28 and PA-32 owners know what that is.)

We got the parts from Planeparts (www.planeparts.com), which specializes in
Piper interior plastic parts. There were one or two other sources that
offered these parts, but based on the images on the websites, it appeared to
us that the Planeparts products seemed better finished and would require
less work to install. Here are the parts we ordered and the prices we paid:

>Overhead console, $215.00
>2 louvered vents for overhead console, $16.95 each
>4 vent cups, $11.95 each
>rib cover, $35.95

The order arrived by USPS Priority Mail about 10 days after we placed the
order. Postage added about $12.00 to our total cost.

While the overhead console was "sort of" the same color as the part it was
to replace, it was obvious that it would have to be painted to achieve a
pleasing finish. And because it was not possible to get a perfect match
with the SEM paint we used (upon recommendation from others in this
newsgroup) we also had to remove and paint the rear air duct. The vent cups
and rib cover were way off in color, so we had to paint those as well.

The new overhead console required a bit of work with a drill and Dremel tool
in order to mount the overhead dome light, instrument light, and speaker.
The big holes were pre-cut, but not the screw holes. We used the old part
as a template, and this work was not particularly difficult. The holes for
the screws that hold the console to the overhead also had to be drilled out,
but that was very easy because the part had molded-in guides where the holes
needed to be drilled.

The rib cover also had to be cut to fit. We measured carefully and made the
cuts using the Dremel tool, then trimmed as needed for a good fit.

Surprisingly, the vent cups also had to be trimmed. The barrels stuck in
too far when mounted, so that the cups would not rotate freely. We cut off
about 1/4 inch from the barrels, again using the Dremel tool, and that
worked out fine.

We painted all of the parts using the method recommended on the SEM can. At
about $12/can, the stuff is expensive, but produces excellent results with
little effort. It's not generally available at hardware stores, but I found
it at a store that sells supplies to auto body shops. For color matching,
be sure to ask to see the SEM color chart, as the colors on the can tops are
not very accurate.

Installation of the vent cups, vent louvers, and rib cover, once properly
trimmed, was easy. Installation of the overhead console took some effort,
and would have been virtually impossible with less than two people. Most
importantly, in consideration of our biggest worry, the console fit
perfectly.

How do we feel about the parts we got from Planeparts? The console appears
to be well made, probably a bit sturdier than the original, and fit
perfectly. The rib cover is okay, but seems kind of pricey for a very
simple part. The vent cups actually seem a bit less robust than the
original parts, but we'll have to see how they hold up with everyday use.
All in all, we think the money and effort were well worth it.

--
-Elliott Drucker

Jay Honeck

Apr 12, 2005, 12:06:30 AM4/12/05
> All in all, we think the money and effort were well worth it.

Thanks for the PIREP. Your experience matches mine, except when I replaced
the overhead piece in our Cherokee it came in two parts, which had to be
trimmed and glued together before final installation.

This was not made clear in the sales brochure, and I would not have bought
that piece from that manufacturer had I known this up front.

I bitched like hell when I met the manufacturer at one of the big airshows
(actually, I think at the Cherokee Pilots Association fly-in), and he
admitted that they were now selling the unit fully assembled, due to so many
complaints. It was really difficult to get the pieces to fit properly
although, in the end, it came out okay.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA