HH-47 best choice for CSAR?

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 19, 2007, 6:54:10 PM4/19/07
According to this article:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/532valiw.asp

The HH-47 may not have been the best choice for the new CSAR helo.

What do you guys think?

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 20, 2007, 9:44:04 PM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 3:54 pm, dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
> According to this article:
>
> http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/532...

> The HH-47 may not have been the best choice for the new CSAR helo.
>
> What do you guys think?

No one?

John Keeney

Apr 21, 2007, 1:40:40 AM4/21/07

Not read the requirements, proposals nor reports.

That being said, some of the CSAR crews I've talked with were all for
it.
Big cabin for medical work or just picking up bigger crews at a go
(think B-52 or Blackhawk with infantry squad). Good range, speed and
altitude performance, all of which have been issues in Afganistan.
As to the sponsons limiting angles of fire: a gun on each side plus
one on the ramp trump two that can point straighter down but not back.

Another big issue was that fielding could be done very quickly.

Ian MacLure

Apr 21, 2007, 1:27:46 PM4/21/07
John Keeney <j_d_k...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

And if you want to fire straight down a gun mount for the belly
winch hatch might be doable.

IBM

Henry J Cobb

Apr 21, 2007, 9:24:20 PM4/21/07

The Spec Fairy arrived in the middle of the night to rewrite the USAF
spec to match the Boing submission, as usual.

-HJC

Meaner than you

Apr 21, 2007, 10:39:05 PM4/21/07
Do you have proof of that.. what about aircraft life and changing mission
demands?

"Henry J Cobb" <hc...@io.com> wrote in message

Pat Flannery

Apr 21, 2007, 11:36:29 PM4/21/07

dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> What do you guys think?
>>

> No one?

A Chinook sounds like a pretty large and unmaneuverable target for
something that could be going into a very hot combat zone.
To me, it sounds inferior to what we now have, with the possible
exception of range.
This is one of those jobs the V-22 Osprey was designed for, so why
aren't we looking into using that?

Pat

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 22, 2007, 12:25:03 AM4/22/07
On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, Pat Flannery <flan...@daktel.com> wrote:

According to:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/10/v22-bows-out-of-csarx/prv-competition/index.php

The V-22 was in the CSAR-X competition, but dropped out.

Paul J. Adam

Apr 22, 2007, 2:49:15 PM4/22/07
In message <132lm3h...@corp.supernews.com>, Pat Flannery
<fla...@daktel.com> writes

>A Chinook sounds like a pretty large and unmaneuverable target for
>something that could be going into a very hot combat zone.

This was a problem for us in 2003 in Majar al Kabir: Parachute Regiment
multiple in a very unfriendly situation (same one that killed six RMP at
the police station). A Chinook came to lift them out but got badly shot
up on approach: several crew badly wounded and airframe seriously
damaged. (Very good flying to get it back to Sparrowhawk, but they
couldn't lift out the Paras).

Not sure if something like Merlin could have got in, grabbed them and
got out, but it's at least a smaller target.

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

Paul J. Adam - mainbox{at}jrwlynch[dot]demon(dot)co<dot>uk

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 23, 2007, 10:32:46 PM4/23/07
More on the CSAR dust-up:

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/04/squabbling_over.html

Apparently, most missions for CSAR helos don't involve CSAR.

dump...@hotmail.com

May 7, 2007, 12:29:10 PM5/7/07
More on the CSAR-X decision:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003477.html

If the HH-47 gets axed, which of the remaining competitors would be
better.

The US-101? Or the H-92?

Harry Andreas

May 7, 2007, 8:15:13 PM5/7/07
In article <1178555350....@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

H-92
"World's Safest Helicopter"
First helo in the world certified to EASA/JAA safety standards.
Also first certified to FAR part 29 Amend 47

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

dump...@hotmail.com

May 10, 2007, 12:17:45 PM5/10/07
On May 7, 5:15 pm, andr...@computer.org (Harry Andreas) wrote:
> In article <1178555350.189484.79...@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > More on the CSAR-X decision:
>
> >http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003477.html
>
> > If the HH-47 gets axed, which of the remaining competitors would be
> > better.
>
> > The US-101? Or the H-92?
>
> H-92
> "World's Safest Helicopter"
> First helo in the world certified to EASA/JAA safety standards.
> Also first certified to FAR part 29 Amend 47
>
> --
> Harry Andreas
> Engineering raconteur

Yet the US101 won the bid for the new Presidential helo.........

Harry Andreas

May 10, 2007, 7:49:11 PM5/10/07
In article <1178813865.2...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On May 7, 5:15 pm, andr...@computer.org (Harry Andreas) wrote:
> > In article <1178555350.189484.79...@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > > More on the CSAR-X decision:
> >
> > >http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003477.html
> >
> > > If the HH-47 gets axed, which of the remaining competitors would be
> > > better.
> >
> > > The US-101? Or the H-92?
> >
> > H-92
> > "World's Safest Helicopter"
> > First helo in the world certified to EASA/JAA safety standards.
> > Also first certified to FAR part 29 Amend 47
>

> Yet the US101 won the bid for the new Presidential helo.........

Different mission, different profiles, different maintenance requirements,
and how big is the VH-71 fleet? 23 a/c

The EH101 has had problems and was grounded after crashes in
the UK and maybe Denmark(?)
Rotor hub cracking was the culprit and affected may country's SAR fleets

Canada selected the H-92 for their MHP mission and that means a lot of
airframes. That was despite the Canadian Coast Guard operating EH101s.

Being selected for Presidential helo doesn't affect the competition
that much IMO.

Andrew Chaplin

May 11, 2007, 5:18:03 AM5/11/07
"Harry Andreas" <and...@computer.org> wrote in message

Une précision: the Canadian Coast Guard does not operate Cormorant, the
Canadian Forces' Air Command does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-149_Cormorant
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Harry Andreas

May 11, 2007, 11:15:25 AM5/11/07
In article <TM-dnQhmNtBUqdnb...@giganews.com>, "Andrew
Chaplin" <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote:

Correction noted, thanks

dump...@hotmail.com

May 12, 2007, 9:06:53 PM5/12/07
The USAF is planning a broad second look at CSAR's costs. See:

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=18597

Harry Andreas

May 14, 2007, 12:17:46 PM5/14/07
In article <1179018413.1...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> The USAF is planning a broad second look at CSAR's costs. See:
>
> http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=18597

"In the original CSAR-X contest, Lockheed Martin drew poor risk
ratings because of its performance on the U.S. Navy's VH-71
presidential helicopter program, which uses the same US 101 aircraft
competing for the Air Force CSAR-X program. That helicopter is made
by Italian conglomerate Finmeccanica SpA's AgustaWestland unit. In
the VH-71 contest, it beat out Sikorsky's H-92, which also is competing
for CSAR-X. "

IME the risk ratings are extremely important. No program manager
wants to manage a risky program because his career is tied to
success of the program. If the program fails so does he.
This makes low risk a very attractive selection criteria.

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 6, 2007, 12:08:47 AM6/6/07
More on the CSAR-X circus..... uh, I mean debate:

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=19092

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 11, 2007, 11:11:29 PM6/11/07
Yet another perspective on the CSAR program:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003538.html

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 12, 2007, 11:44:56 AM6/12/07

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 22, 2007, 11:27:36 PM6/22/07
According to:

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=19527

The HH-47 has problems with "brownout".

dump...@hotmail.com

Jul 3, 2007, 8:45:12 PM7/3/07
More on the Chinnok rotor downwash phenomenon:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aerospacedaily&id=news/CHIN070307.xml&headline=Chinook%20Downwash%20Moved%20Other%20Helos,%20Blew%20Off%20Roofs

Is the Chinnok's rotor downwash really that bad? Or are the
competitors simply
exaggerating the problem for their own benefit?

Art Greer

Jul 4, 2007, 2:36:46 AM7/4/07
If you think this is a bad downwash try an H-53! 125 knot down wash as I
recall if in a hover.
Art Greer

<dump...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan

Jul 4, 2007, 2:42:26 AM7/4/07
Art Greer wrote:
> If you think this is a bad downwash try an H-53! 125 knot down wash as I
> recall if in a hover.
> Art Greer

H-53 doesn't fly, it beats the air into submission.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Gordon Beaman

Jul 4, 2007, 4:03:31 PM7/4/07

This discussion doesn't make sense to me...isn't it true that the
downwash from ANY helicopter would be directly porpotional to it's
total weight and it's accelleration (climbing descending or
hovering)?...how could it possibly be otherwise?...

--

Gord
(use gordon in email)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jul 11, 2007, 12:07:53 PM7/11/07
Boeing fights back on the HH-47 downwash issue:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003592.html