Steve Wittman Accident

Leslie Reissner

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
I just received the latest issue of EAA's "Experimenter" and was
shocked to read of the untimely deaths of Steve and Paula Wittman in
Alabama. Apparently, the aircraft broke up in flight over Alabama.

Steve Wittman was a model for all homebuilders and his innovative
and interesting designs stand out even today. He contributed
enormously to sport aviation over the decades and will be missed.

Does anyone have any additional information about the accident?

Leslie Reissner

reis...@tdragon.synapse.net

RT Riley

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
I've just been told by JD Moore (USAF 3-star, ret.) that the
accident took place in the middel of an "oil burner" low level
high speed route. They've traced back the time and a B1B was at
the scene of the wreck, at high speed and low level, within a
couple of minutes of Steve. It looks like Steve hit the B1's
wake and was torn apart.

I only met Steve once, but he will be missed by all.

--
Richard Riley - Berkut/Fox/Cohens & Stern
"Always remember that your rocket was built by the lowest bidder"

van...@delphi.com

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
RT Riley <7453...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>I've just been told by JD Moore (USAF 3-star, ret.) that the
>accident took place in the middel of an "oil burner" low level
>high speed route. They've traced back the time and a B1B was at
>the scene of the wreck, at high speed and low level, within a
>couple of minutes of Steve. It looks like Steve hit the B1's
>wake and was torn apart.

I want to make sure I understand what hand this is before I quote it
elsewhere. You talked to retired General J.D. Moore who said he
had seen the radar tapes (or other record of the B1's path)?

I do know that this kind of thing has happened before. Several years ago
a Velocity pilot hit the wake of a commercial airliner that threw him
into an unrecoverable "spin" mode with fatal results. That is to the best
of my recollection.

If there is any possibility you might have misheard or your source might have
been mistaken would you please recheck and repost this.

If what you have said is indeed the case this takes this accident out of
the "One more reason not to fly" category and puts it into the "lightning
does strike" categore.

Thanks.
Brent H. Van Arsdell