Hmmm a BD5J with zero hours FS

Deaf2u

Dec 21, 2006, 3:57:15 PM12/21/06
http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm

Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly. What's
the story here Juan?

john smith

Dec 21, 2006, 4:22:15 PM12/21/06
"Liability Release signed by purchaser AND spouse is mandatory, no sign,
no sale."

That still won't keep you out of court.

Al G

Dec 21, 2006, 4:36:04 PM12/21/06

"Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message

> http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>
> Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly.
> What's the story here Juan?

358 lbs. Pretty Good. Is that "ready to fly"? I.E. a Basic Operating Weight?

Can anybody compete for a Guiness World Record "Lightest Jet"?
What are the rules? Obviously it need not be an actual flying airplane...

Al G

BobR

Dec 21, 2006, 4:47:26 PM12/21/06
The ONLY way he will ever sell it is IF he can find a bigger fool than
himself to buy it. I am not sure that would be possible but in a world
full of fools...who knows?

$120,000 for that death trap...wow! I might see a $120 to use it as a
sign for a local hamburger joint called AIRWAYS.

Dan

Dec 21, 2006, 4:48:38 PM12/21/06
Yawn has been trying to sell it for years. He bought it 90%
completed if memory serves. His excuse then for trying to sell it was he
was moving to Puerto Rico and needed the money. What his excuse is now
is anyone's guess. Personally I wouldn't try to fly it either after he
worked on it.

Maybe he should convert it to radio control and rent it to the
military as a target.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Gig 601XL Builder

Dec 21, 2006, 5:11:53 PM12/21/06

"Dan" <B2...@aol.com> wrote in message

Maybe he can rent to the military as a target without converting it to R/C
and fly it for them.

pittss1c

Dec 21, 2006, 5:13:41 PM12/21/06
An old (and a fair bit bold) VERY experienced pilot once told me...

To live a long life...
Try to avoid the A model of anything, and never fly anything that
doesn't have the paint worn off the rudder pedals.

jc

Dec 21, 2006, 5:28:26 PM12/21/06
Al G wrote:

<snip>

> 358 lbs. Pretty Good. Is that "ready to fly"? I.E. a Basic Operating
> Weight?
>
> Can anybody compete for a Guiness World Record "Lightest Jet"?
> What are the rules? Obviously it need not be an actual flying airplane...

CriCri beats that easily IIRC the twin piston version is ~180lb empty and
~375lb MTOW. The twin jet version would be similar with the same airframe.

http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html

--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - jc...@pacific.net and ne...@perentie.net are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.

Al G

Dec 21, 2006, 5:41:31 PM12/21/06

"jc" <ne...@perentie.net> wrote in message

A couple of hundred pounds lighter, and actually flown, many times,
successfully.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/travel_and_transport/aircraft/smallest_jet_aircraft.aspx

Too bad there is no way to notify Guiness, online. The only contact I could
find was snail mail.

Al G

Scott

Dec 21, 2006, 5:42:56 PM12/21/06
Yes, that's what I understand. I believe it was concluded that you
can't sign away the rights of others, so parents, siblings, maybe the
boss at work, etc. could file suit. There's probably always someone who
could...and a lawyer who would ;)

Scott

Scott

Dec 21, 2006, 5:43:42 PM12/21/06
Or maybe a wind tee?

Scott

Dan

Dec 21, 2006, 6:07:01 PM12/21/06
Scott wrote:
> Or maybe a wind tee?
>
> Scott

They'd arrest whomever used it for littering and running an
unlicensed toxic waste dump.

Deaf2u

Dec 21, 2006, 6:13:56 PM12/21/06
I just want to know why he doesn't fly it, or at least watch it fly. I have
nothing against the guy, I don't know him and I'm not going to judge by who
he calls a friend. It just seems that he's put in a lot of effort here, I'd
want to see it fly.

Anthony W

Dec 21, 2006, 6:20:35 PM12/21/06

I'll donate 4 bits for a stamp...

Tony

BobR

Dec 21, 2006, 6:28:48 PM12/21/06
There you go again...daydreaming about the good things in life.

Al G

Dec 21, 2006, 6:36:10 PM12/21/06

"Anthony W" <techn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oh Jeez, and I'm already laying low from Zoom's threats/attention. Now I
should attack Jaun's "Record". I'm a little surprised even Guinness would
accept,
for a record, an airplane that had never flown. Besides, Zoom has flown over
twice as many aircraft types as the current Guinness holder. Obviously they
are not up to date.

Al G

Dan

Dec 21, 2006, 6:40:42 PM12/21/06
I wonder how many aircraft are built and never flown by the builder.
I can understand building for the fun of it then selling, but I venture
to say there are some that the builder is afraid to fly. This is
assuming the aircraft passes inspection in the first place.

ChuckSlusarczyk

Dec 21, 2006, 7:41:43 PM12/21/06
In article <f7Dih.1041$_A2...@newsfe03.lga>, Al G says...

I guess we could build one out of Balsa and go for the record seeing how it
doesn't need to fly to get the record.Heh Heh how about a Scale RC turbo jet
model of an F-15 I seen one fly. Beats yawn on 2 counts ,it's smaller and it
flys . Told ya yawn doesn't have the gonads to fly the thing .So much for his
faith in the BEDE design .All sizzle no bacon.

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

Richard Isakson

Dec 21, 2006, 9:14:05 PM12/21/06
Warning!: From what Juan has written on this newsgroup, he hasn't been
able start his engine in a Year and a half.

Warning!: From what Juan has written on this newsgroup, this engine doesn't
have it's fuel control unit that would protect it from a turbine over temp.

Warning!: From the description of this engine in Janes, this engine doesn't
have a turbine disk failure system. This makes Juan's airplane lighter than
all other BD-5Js and won him recognition as having the lightest non-flying,
non-running BD-5J in the world to be recognized by a beer company.

Warning!: If you are near this airplane while its running be very worried.
If the turbine over temps and starts shedding turbine blades, there's
nothing to stop them from going through fuselage structural members, flight
controls, control cables, fuel tanks and anyone standing nearby.

Did Juan forget to mention all this in his ad?

Rich

DABEAR

Dec 21, 2006, 9:35:53 PM12/21/06

Damned good looking, er ~ stipulation ~ had to put up a Free
Advertisement for it:

www.waterworkscase.com

Up towards the top of the page...

What if I don't have a wife...can I have just any forge a
signature..."Mrs. DA BEAR!!!" (!?)

DABEAR

Dec 21, 2006, 9:38:34 PM12/21/06

Al G wrote:

> Can anybody compete for a Guiness World Record "Lightest Jet"?
> What are the rules? Obviously it need not be an actual flying airplane...
>
> Al G

You see those two ropes hiding behind the wing? <G>

U Buy, U Control...U can do anything on the outside of one of
these...including touch the face of God, much like bug squat on a
windshield...

So, when exactly did Cox quit the .049 and get into circular fans...?

DABEAR

Dec 21, 2006, 9:39:55 PM12/21/06

Dan wrote:

> What his excuse is now
> is anyone's guess.
>

> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Three words for you:

"Defense Legal Fund"

DABEAR

Dec 21, 2006, 9:41:49 PM12/21/06

Dan wrote:

> What his excuse is now
> is anyone's guess.
>

> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Three words for you:

"Defense Legal Fund"

DABEAR

Dec 21, 2006, 9:45:20 PM12/21/06

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

>.So much for his
> faith in the BEDE design .All sizzle no bacon.
>
> Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

If he's cut 800 pounds out it, it's no longer a BEDE design...

...and its his bacon he's worrying about when it comes to sizzling!
Especially when the thing augers in with him in it!

You know, take off one of the wings and tail, and it looks just like
one of those George Foreman frypans...

No guts, no glory! LOL!!!

DABEAR

Dec 21, 2006, 9:48:34 PM12/21/06

No, I'm sure it's in there! You just got to read between the lines ~
the fuel and control lines in this case ~ but those count as "lines,"
right? They go with the plane...don't they?

Well, it's like they always say:

Juan for the money, two for the no show, three to get ready! Followed
by sounds of crash, explosion, funeral dirge...in that order.

Chris Wells

Dec 21, 2006, 5:45:46 PM12/21/06

Something tells me you'll get little but hot air & bull**** from
Juan.

Oh yeah, and a smiley tacked on at the end...which I guess, in his
mind, makes all the difference in the world.

--
Chris Wells

Harry K

Dec 21, 2006, 11:42:03 PM12/21/06

But how much time did he put into it? From the description it looks
like he bought a partially finished kit in Australia.

Harry K

Message has been deleted

Steve Foley

Dec 22, 2006, 5:39:45 AM12/22/06
But it's a damn fine beer company.

"Richard Isakson" <r...@whidbey.com> wrote in message

Deaf2u

Dec 22, 2006, 6:14:58 AM12/22/06
Well once again, disregarding the apparently intense battle\hatred DABEAR
has for Juan I still find it curious. He's owned this plane, taken pride and
made some fairly loud noises about owning it. He has a website about it and
has been all about this plane for a while and yet has no desire to see it
fulfill it's mission. I have no interest in it, I'm more interested in slow
planes with floats but I am curious.

The ad says he now wants a motorglider, now that's a far way from a little
jet.

Montblack

Dec 22, 2006, 10:34:24 AM12/22/06
("Richard Riley" wrote)
> We talked about this here back when the Yawner got his "record." It's not
> for the *lightest* jet, it's for the *smallest* jet. IIRC, the CriCri was
> lighter, but was a little bigger in wingspan or length.
>
> Of course, and airplane doesn't have to actually fly to be an airplane.
> I'm told there's a broom and a carpet on the FAA registry.

The Cri-Cri is about 10 inches longer.
The Cri-Cri weighs half as much.
The Cri-Cri's wingspan is shorter by about a foot. (16' vs. 17')
The Cri-Cri (jet) flies, has flown, will fly, did fly...

http://home.regent.edu/ruthven/bd-5.html
BD-5

http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html
Cri-Cri (jet)

http://www.flight.cz/cricri/english/
GREAT Cri-Cri site. Check out the (new) NZ video.

Montblack
Cri-Cri fan

Gig 601XL Builder

Dec 22, 2006, 11:17:19 AM12/22/06

"Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message

I think he is probably scared of it. I would be.

And I have to disagree with you. Who one chooses as friends is an excellent
judge of one's character. It bay even be the best way.

Al G

Dec 22, 2006, 11:19:45 AM12/22/06

> Well once again, disregarding the apparently intense battle\hatred DABEAR
> has for Juan I still find it curious. He's owned this plane, taken pride
> and made some fairly loud noises about owning it. He has a website about
> it and has been all about this plane for a while and yet has no desire to
> see it fulfill it's mission. I have no interest in it, I'm more interested
> in slow planes with floats but I am curious.

I agree. After years of association with EAA folks, I find this a very
uncommon
attitude in a home builder. Never seen anyone like him. Richard's warnings

are probably the root cause. And, as Richard so succinctly said:

> "This makes Juan's airplane lighter than
>all other BD-5Js and won him recognition as having the lightest non-flying,
>non-running BD-5J in the world to be recognized by a beer company.

I guess when you look at the record in a category/class kind of way, maybe
he
does hold it. A flying airplane, weighed with a pilot and fuel, would
probably be in
a completely differant class.

Al G

Al G

Dec 22, 2006, 11:23:33 AM12/22/06

"Richard Riley" <Ric...@mylastname.net> wrote in message
> We talked about this here back when the Yawner got his "record." It's
> not for the *lightest* jet, it's for the *smallest* jet. IIRC, the
> CriCri was lighter, but was a little bigger in wingspan or length.

oh. damn, I missed that.
I sit corrected.

Al G

john smith

Dec 22, 2006, 11:44:06 AM12/22/06
Isn't Juan's buddy Zoom a test pilot?
Maybe he could do the flight test program for Juan?

Dan

Dec 22, 2006, 12:12:33 PM12/22/06
What is it about the design that makes it so unsafe? It looks a bit
short coupled, but that's the only thing that jumps out at me.

Gig 601XL Builder

Dec 22, 2006, 12:18:56 PM12/22/06

"Al G" <ager...@nospam.charter.net> wrote in message

> I guess when you look at the record in a category/class kind of way, maybe
> he
> does hold it. A flying airplane, weighed with a pilot and fuel, would
> probably be in
> a completely differant class.

If the plane never leaves the ground it isn't an airplane as far as I'm
concerned. Think how easy it would be to just put together some cardboard
and a light jet engine and call it the lightest jet airplane.

Gig 601XL Builder

Dec 22, 2006, 12:19:37 PM12/22/06

"john smith" <jsm...@net.net> wrote in message

> Isn't Juan's buddy Zoom a test pilot?
> Maybe he could do the flight test program for Juan?

Even Zooooom isn't that stupid.

Deaf2u

Dec 22, 2006, 12:49:46 PM12/22/06

"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote in message

> And I have to disagree with you. Who one chooses as friends is an
> excellent judge of one's character. It bay even be the best way.

I'm sure it is, and if a persons associates are dubious it leaves one one
cautious about him. But I've always been willing to guage people as I find
them, not nescessarily on what I've heard. Not really the topic I had in
mind though.

Dan

Dec 22, 2006, 1:03:43 PM12/22/06
No, but he is crazy. Maybe someone needs to put him on the spot to
prove how big and brave he really is :) You know "put up or shut up."

Deaf2u

Dec 22, 2006, 1:18:34 PM12/22/06
I think to qualify for a Guinnes record you have to actually apply. In any
case I'd likely give it to the Cri-Cri on the basis of non-flight, but here
is a yet smaller craft. Perhaps it is too small to qualify as an aircraft,
I'd give him any record he wants, this guy truly is the real thing.

http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html

Montblack

Dec 22, 2006, 1:56:23 PM12/22/06
("Dan" wrote)

>> http://www.flight.cz/cricri/english/
>> GREAT Cri-Cri site. Check out the (new) NZ video.

> What is it about the design that makes it so unsafe? It looks a bit

> short coupled, but that's the only thing that jumps out at me.

Dan is asking this of the BD-5J
http://home.regent.edu/ruthven/bd-5.html

...not the Cri-Cri :-)

Montblack

Anthony W

Dec 22, 2006, 2:18:05 PM12/22/06

I saw that on the news. It has to be one of the coolest things I've
ever seen.

Tony

Anthony W

Dec 22, 2006, 2:20:56 PM12/22/06
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

> If the plane never leaves the ground it isn't an airplane as far as I'm
> concerned. Think how easy it would be to just put together some cardboard
> and a light jet engine and call it the lightest jet airplane.

Couldn't someone toss a couple of those model plane jet engines on an
ultralight and take the record for smallest jet? It would take some
research to select the right plane but I'd go with one of Chuck's planes...

Tony

Wayne Paul

Dec 22, 2006, 2:37:37 PM12/22/06

"Anthony W" <techn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Add a couple model plane jet engines to an ultralight and you would have
developed a jet airplane with the slowest max speed. You can file your new
world record with "Ripley's Believe It or Not."

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com

Paul Tomblin

Dec 22, 2006, 3:58:23 PM12/22/06
In a previous article, "Montblack" <Y4_NOT!...4monty4blacky@yyvisyyiy.comy> said:
>The Cri-Cri weighs half as much.

It does? That page you linked for the jet Cri-Cri says it weighs 170kg.
The Guiness certificate for Wan's BD5J says it weighs 162kg.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
"Why are we hiding from the police, mommy?"

ChuckSlusarczyk

Dec 22, 2006, 5:58:01 PM12/22/06
In article <12ood08...@corp.supernews.com>, Wayne Paul says...

Actually it's been done twice.Once on a Mitchell wing that flew I think at SnF
about 10 years ago and a couple years ago with a twin jet on a Pteredactyl flown
by Jack Mc Cornack. I saw them both. They were slow alright :-0

Chuck S

Anthony W

Dec 22, 2006, 6:21:47 PM12/22/06
Paul Tomblin wrote:
> In a previous article, "Montblack" <Y4_NOT!...4monty4blacky@yyvisyyiy.comy> said:
>> The Cri-Cri weighs half as much.
>
> It does? That page you linked for the jet Cri-Cri says it weighs 170kg.
> The Guiness certificate for Wan's BD5J says it weighs 162kg.

But the Cri Cri flies and it would take at least another 10 Kg of stuff
to get the juanatross off the ground. That would probably include a
better jet engine and a fly-by-wire system to overcome the instability.

Tony

Anthony W

Dec 22, 2006, 6:53:02 PM12/22/06
ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

>> Add a couple model plane jet engines to an ultralight and you would have
>> developed a jet airplane with the slowest max speed. You can file your new
>> world record with "Ripley's Believe It or Not."
>
> Actually it's been done twice.Once on a Mitchell wing that flew I think at SnF
> about 10 years ago and a couple years ago with a twin jet on a Pteredactyl flown

> by Jack McCornack. I saw them both. They were slow alright :-0
>
> Chuck S

The Mitchell Wing was my first thought but the name escaped me at the
moment. Weren't those pulse jets on the Wing rather than mini-turbines?
In my not so humble opinion a Mitchell U2 with mini-turbine engines
would be the coolest ultralight ever. If I weren't built like a
linebacker, I'd already be into ultralights...

The record is for the smallest jet, it didn't say anything about how
fast it was or if it even got off the ground (as we know juanatross
never did.)

Tony

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Dohm

Dec 22, 2006, 7:41:49 PM12/22/06
"Wayne Paul" <wa...@soaridaho.com> wrote in message
It's been done as a single engine jet, and was reported in Experimenter
(since changed to Sport Pilot) a couple of years ago. I not longer have,
nor recall, the issue.

Peter

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:01:03 PM12/22/06

"Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message
> http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>
> Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly.
> What's the story here Juan?

The plan has been to sell it for some time now. It flies first or it gets
sold first.

Now, what's the story behind anonymous posts? You afraid of someone?
Something? Boogeyman? :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:02:05 PM12/22/06

> "Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>>
>> Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly.
>> What's the story here Juan?
>>

> 358 lbs. Pretty Good. Is that "ready to fly"? I.E. a Basic Operating
> Weight?

Yes. I dropped 80 lbs thanks to a model Microturbo that doesn't have a
starter/generator, and only requires 11psi fuel pressure, vs 200 psi for the
TRS-18.

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:02:41 PM12/22/06

"jc" <ne...@perentie.net> wrote in message

> CriCri beats that easily IIRC the twin piston version is ~180lb empty and
> ~375lb MTOW. The twin jet version would be similar with the same airframe.

Nope. Cri-Cri is longer than the BD-5J.

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:07:24 PM12/22/06

"Dan" <B2...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Deaf2u wrote:
>> http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>>
>> Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly.
>> What's the story here Juan?
> Yawn has been trying to sell it for years. He bought it 90% completed
> if memory serves.

You're getting old. Alzheimers? :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:06:30 PM12/22/06

"BobR" <re...@r-a-reed-assoc.com> wrote in message
> The ONLY way he will ever sell it is IF he can find a bigger fool than
> himself to buy it. I am not sure that would be possible but in a world
> full of fools...who knows?
>
> $120,000 for that death trap...wow! I might see a $120 to use it as a
> sign for a local hamburger joint called AIRWAYS.

I know your real problem is envy, Bob. You know a putz like you would never
even get close to what I have accomplished so far. So you're reduced to a
simpering nimrod throwing prepubescent insults. LOL! :)

Still whining about the few bucks you lost with Jim? :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:05:08 PM12/22/06

"ChuckSlusarczyk" <ChuckSlusar...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> I guess we could build one out of Balsa and go for the record seeing how
> it
> doesn't need to fly to get the record.Heh Heh how about a Scale RC turbo
> jet
> model of an F-15 I seen one fly. Beats yawn on 2 counts ,it's smaller and
> it
> flys .

Sorry, ChuckSteak, but it has to carry a human being. You don't rate the
privilege. :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:03:25 PM12/22/06

> Too bad there is no way to notify Guiness, online. The only contact I
> could find was snail mail.

Al, sonny, Marco knows it had not flown when the record application was
submitted.

Next! :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:07:55 PM12/22/06

"DABEAR" <bearzbe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Dan wrote:
>
>> What his excuse is now
>> is anyone's guess.

>> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
>
> Three words for you:
>
> "Defense Legal Fund"

From what? You? HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:08:29 PM12/22/06

"Chris Wells" <Chris.Wel...@news.aviationbanter.com> wrote in message

> Deaf2u Wrote:
>> http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>>
>> Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly.
>> What's
>> the story here Juan?
>

> Something tells me you'll get little but hot air & bull**** from
> Juan.

Tell your dog to stop breathing in your ear and your bull to stop shitting
in your shorts. :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:12:02 PM12/22/06

"Richard Isakson" <r...@whidbey.com> wrote in message
> Warning!: From what Juan has written on this newsgroup, he hasn't been
> able start his engine in a Year and a half.

The engine was just reassembled after an injector inspection showed several
of them were partly clogged. They were inspected in Idaho and the engine is
now reassembled.

> Warning!: From what Juan has written on this newsgroup, this engine
> doesn't
> have it's fuel control unit that would protect it from a turbine over
> temp.

From what Richard has written in this newsgroup, he's proved he's ignorant.
A fuel control unit that protects from overtemp? What a moron. No microturbo
has a fuel control that does that. Not even the analog computer does that.

> Warning!: From the description of this engine in Janes, this engine
> doesn't
> have a turbine disk failure system.

IQ's keep dropping in Isakson's gourd. No Microturbo small turbine has
anything like this.

> This makes Juan's airplane lighter than all other BD-5Js and won him
> recognition as having the lightest non-flying,
> non-running BD-5J in the world to be recognized by a beer company.

Wrong again, nimrod. What makes my airplane lighter has nothing to do with
that. :)

Any other stupid comments you want to make, dipshit? :)

Juan

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:13:02 PM12/22/06

"Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message
> Well once again, disregarding the apparently intense battle\hatred DABEAR
> has for Juan I still find it curious. He's owned this plane, taken pride
> and made some fairly loud noises about owning it. He has a website about
> it and has been all about this plane for a while and yet has no desire to
> see it fulfill it's mission. I have no interest in it, I'm more interested
> in slow planes with floats but I am curious.
>
> The ad says he now wants a motorglider, now that's a far way from a little
> jet.

Your basic premise is incorrect. Everything else you conclude from there is
also wrong. :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:15:11 PM12/22/06

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:57:15 GMT, "Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote:
>
>>http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>>
>>Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly.
>>What's
>>the story here Juan?
>>

> Back when the RRL announced Zoom as one of their pilots, a certain
> RAH15er with intelligence, good looks and wisdom said...
>
> "Zoom will fly a rocket plane the same day Juan flies his BD-5."
>
> I bow to his superior insight

RAH15er with intelligence. Now there's a classic oxymoron. :)

Peter Dohm

Dec 22, 2006, 8:34:45 PM12/22/06

> Montblack wrote:
> > ("Richard Riley" wrote)
> >> We talked about this here back when the Yawner got his "record." It's
not
> >> for the *lightest* jet, it's for the *smallest* jet. IIRC, the CriCri
was
> >> lighter, but was a little bigger in wingspan or length.
> >>
> >> Of course, and airplane doesn't have to actually fly to be an airplane.
> >> I'm told there's a broom and a carpet on the FAA registry.
> >

> > The Cri-Cri is about 10 inches longer.

> > The Cri-Cri weighs half as much.
> > The Cri-Cri's wingspan is shorter by about a foot. (16' vs. 17')
> > The Cri-Cri (jet) flies, has flown, will fly, did fly...
> >
> > http://home.regent.edu/ruthven/bd-5.html
> > BD-5
> >
> > http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html
> > Cri-Cri (jet)

> > http://www.flight.cz/cricri/english/
> > GREAT Cri-Cri site. Check out the (new) NZ video.
> >

> > Montblack
> > Cri-Cri fan

> What is it about the design that makes it so unsafe? It looks a bit
> short coupled, but that's the only thing that jumps out at me.
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I really don't know--other than being less than crash worthy.

There were a number of accidents in propeller driven BD-5s which had been
modified with larger and heavier engines when the recommended engine for the
kit was not delivered and, IIRC, not available. I believe that there were
both cooling problems and CG problems with some of the modifications. In
addition, there were a series of development problems with the drive line
and/or PSRU in the prototype prior to the availability and/or delivery
problem with the engines...

I had a little difficulty finding the articles, since I changed computers a
few months ago, but here are two links which are similar and may be the same
article with a different number of illustrations--I didn't read all the way
through them again. The article on prime-mover.org is definitely a reprint
of a Contact! Magazine article, and there is a link to it from the Contact!
back issues bage.
http://ibis.experimentals.de/downloads/torsionalvibration.pdf
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Torsional/contact1/contact1.html

I simply don't recall much of the history of the BD-5J, as I was really not
interested in a jet at that time. However, IIRC, the initial engine was
very low on thrust--possible only 50 or 60 pounds. Subsequently, one or
more air show pilots modified the aircraft with much more powerfull engines,
of around 200 pounds thrust, and dramatically greater fuel capacity--by
wetting most of the wings. I have no idea what that might have done to the
handling, especially in the event of any fuel system problem.

I still think that the BD-5 is a neat little plane, and could fly well with
some of the more recent small engines. However, I certainly would not
consider flying the jet.

There is also a portion of a general overview on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede_BD-5

Now you know as much as I do, which is less than definitive.

Peter

ChuckSlusarczyk

Dec 22, 2006, 8:12:47 PM12/22/06
In article <yd_ih.571$kD4.351@trndny06>, Anthony W says...

The Mitchell wing had a small turbo unit I think it came out of a small ground
power unit. Sounded neat but I guess it burnt fuel at a pretty good clip. I
guess it was doing about 60 - 70 mph . The other was a twin turbo Pterodactyl
using model airplane size engines. He needed both and I guess combined they
produced 55-65 pounds thrust . Neither one was practical but they were fun to
watch and both did what jauns jet won't do and that is they flew :-)

Merry Christmas

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

Deaf2u

Dec 22, 2006, 8:45:54 PM12/22/06

"Juan Jimenez" <fly...@prtc.net> wrote in message

> Your basic premise is incorrect. Everything else you conclude from there
> is also wrong. :)

I don't have any premise, and I'm not making any conclusions. Theres very
little point in leaping in here pissing all over the place. I'm simply
curious why you don't fly it. I already have seen that you like being
obnoxious, I guess that's the way you are. But it still doesn't answer the
question.

You do have a website that's all about the BD5, it looks like you're proud
of owning it and such. You did apply get the Guinness thing. Is the project
finished without flying? I saw a BD5 jet fly quite a few years back, it was
an impressive little plane and if I'd put in the effort I'd want to fly it.
I'm just curious, not trying to start any battles-it looks like you've got
enough.

Juan Jimenez

Dec 22, 2006, 8:42:34 PM12/22/06

"Peter Dohm" <left...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> I really don't know--other than being less than crash worthy.

Kinda like the one Walton died in. ;)

> There were a number of accidents in propeller driven BD-5s which had been
> modified with larger and heavier engines when the recommended engine for
> the
> kit was not delivered and, IIRC, not available. I believe that there were
> both cooling problems and CG problems with some of the modifications. In
> addition, there were a series of development problems with the drive line
> and/or PSRU in the prototype prior to the availability and/or delivery
> problem with the engines...

This is almost accurate. The majority of accidents in BD-5's have nothing to
do with CG. Look at the NTSB records. They're all there.

> I had a little difficulty finding the articles, since I changed computers
> few months ago

Articles don't tell even a fraction of the story. The NTSB narratives do.

> I simply don't recall much of the history of the BD-5J, as I was really
> not
> interested in a jet at that time. However, IIRC, the initial engine was
> very low on thrust--possible only 50 or 60 pounds.

That's not only wrong, it's absurd. The TRS-18-046, the first model used on
the BD-5J's, puts out 225 lbs of thrust. Net thrust is something like 190
lbf. The -1 puts out 360 lbf.

Message has been deleted

Dan

Dec 22, 2006, 10:49:38 PM12/22/06
Juan Jimenez wrote:
<snip>

> The plan has been to sell it for some time now. It flies first or it gets
> sold first.

It hasn't sold in how many years? How many tries? I bet it flies
about the same time moller succeeds.

Dan

Dec 22, 2006, 10:59:40 PM12/22/06
Now that you mention it I do recall cooling and engine problems. The
glide rate and total lack of crash worthiness wouldn't help either.

I think a fly by wire system would be neat. I wonder if there's an off
the shelf product somewhere.

DABEAR

Dec 23, 2006, 1:00:43 AM12/23/06

Dan wrote:

> It hasn't sold in how many years? How many tries? I bet it flies
> about the same time moller succeeds.
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

The day comes that Orville and Wilbur are resurrected from the grave,
it will still be available...on E bay going for .50 cents!

Message has been deleted

Montblack

Dec 23, 2006, 3:55:53 AM12/23/06
("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
> It does? That page you linked for the jet Cri-Cri says it weighs 170kg.
> The Guiness certificate for Wan's BD5J says it weighs 162kg.

That's not a very clear number - easily misinterpreted on that Cri-Cri (jet)
page.

Cri-Cri:

Empty weight: ...........70kg - 85kg (80kg = 176lbs)
MTOW: ....................180kg (approx)
Pilot + fuel: ..............100kg (220lbs)
(The MTOW might be 10 or 15lbs. too high)

Engines (each) .......12hp - 20hp
Cruise speed: .........100kts - 125kts(?)

Climb: .......................1k-ft/min
Climb (one engine) .....Yes

Montblack

Roger

Dec 23, 2006, 4:31:00 AM12/23/06
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:22:15 -0500, john smith <jsm...@net.net> wrote:

>"Liability Release signed by purchaser AND spouse is mandatory, no sign,
>no sale."
>
>That still won't keep you out of court.

It wouldn'tslow my heirs down a split second.
and in many states the courts won't let you sign your rights away.
And in any case they don't protect the builder from mistakes, or
workmanship.

Although I've heard the BD5J at the only airplane flown that was more
dangerous on take off than landing I'd still like to fly one.

>Deaf2u wrote:
>
>>http://www.global-air.com/global/g05229.htm
>>
>>Could it be?? You'd think he'd at least fly it once. Or watch it fly. What's
>>the story here Juan?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Mark Hickey

Dec 23, 2006, 11:01:16 AM12/23/06
"Juan Jimenez" <fly...@prtc.net> wrote:

>>"Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote

>> Well once again, disregarding the apparently intense battle\hatred DABEAR
>> has for Juan I still find it curious. He's owned this plane, taken pride
>> and made some fairly loud noises about owning it. He has a website about
>> it and has been all about this plane for a while and yet has no desire to
>> see it fulfill it's mission. I have no interest in it, I'm more interested
>> in slow planes with floats but I am curious.
>>
>> The ad says he now wants a motorglider, now that's a far way from a little
>> jet.
>
>Your basic premise is incorrect. Everything else you conclude from there is
>also wrong. :)

Funny thing - you can always tell when Yawn's replying to a factual
post... like above, he can't take exception to the facts so he just
tosses out an insult or an off-hand comment. It's a rare occasion
that he actually even tries to counter with any "facts" (I use this
word as a relative term, of course). Ipso facto, he's normally got no
defense at all for his position.

Mark "facts rule, fools drool" Hickey

gorgon

Dec 23, 2006, 1:22:58 PM12/23/06

I think this will settle the smallest jet conundrum.

http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html

Tim Ward

Dec 22, 2006, 10:18:58 PM12/22/06

"Wayne Paul" <wa...@soaridaho.com> wrote in message

> "Anthony W" <techn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
> >
> >> If the plane never leaves the ground it isn't an airplane as far as I'm
> >> concerned. Think how easy it would be to just put together some
cardboard
> >> and a light jet engine and call it the lightest jet airplane.
> >
> > Couldn't someone toss a couple of those model plane jet engines on an
> > ultralight and take the record for smallest jet? It would take some
> > research to select the right plane but I'd go with one of Chuck's
> > planes...
> >
> > Tony

> Add a couple model plane jet engines to an ultralight and you would have
> developed a jet airplane with the slowest max speed. You can file your
new
> world record with "Ripley's Believe It or Not."
>
> Wayne
> HP-14 "6F"
> http://www.soaridaho.com

Ted Ancona had an Icarus V with a couple of propane fueled jet engines.
The climb rate was abysmal, but it was loud.
I'm not sure what the weight was, I'm sure it was shorter than a BD-5, since
it's a tailless design.

Tim Ward

Al G

Dec 23, 2006, 1:57:17 PM12/23/06

> "Al G" <ager...@nospam.charter.net> wrote in message
>> Too bad there is no way to notify Guiness, online. The only contact I
>> could find was snail mail.
>
> Al, sonny, Marco knows it had not flown when the record application was
> submitted.
>
> Next! :)
Ok, no big deal. I was just surprised that Guinness would accept as a
"Airplane" world record, something that does not fly. My bad. I am learning.
How are the sales going?

Al G

Juan Jimenez

Dec 24, 2006, 11:56:34 AM12/24/06

> "Juan Jimenez" <fly...@prtc.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Your basic premise is incorrect. Everything else you conclude from there
>> is also wrong. :)
>
> I don't have any premise, and I'm not making any conclusions. Theres very
> little point in leaping in here pissing all over the place. I'm simply
> curious why you don't fly it.

Fair enough.

The aircraft hasn't flown yet because a bible-thumping FSDO inspector,
Joaquin Camacho, decided to go on a crusade against me, telling local A&P's
in this small island that I could crash into a church, and intimidating them
with threats of harassment or losing their licenses. He kept this up for two
years until the issue was brought up to the head of Flight Service in DC
with a warning that if no action was taken, criminal charges would be filed.
That got the FAA to snap to attention, bark "Yes, Sir! What do you need,
Sir!" and things started moving forward. The maintenance plan Camacho sat on
for two years was approved in two weeks, and I am currently on a waiting
list for a resource to come down from Miami to do the airworthiness
inspection. It is also interesting to note that the San Juan FSDO was closed
because of many issues similar to these. It no longer exists, the office
here is a satellite office of the Miami FSDO.

Juan Jimenez

Dec 24, 2006, 11:58:11 AM12/24/06

"Al G" <ager...@nospam-charter.net> wrote in message

I have four people interested in the aircraft. They are all waiting for it
to fly, and I am waiting for the Miami FSDO to assign me a resource for the
airworthiness inspection.

Juan

Deaf2u

Dec 24, 2006, 1:08:13 PM12/24/06

>I am currently on a waiting list for a resource to come down from Miami to
>do the airworthiness inspection.

Ok, thanks for the answer, I thought it had it's CoA. Good luck with the
inspection. If you can lay hands on a video camera, put up a video on
YouTube when it flies.

Dan

Dec 24, 2006, 3:14:48 PM12/24/06
In other words it's once again someone else's fault?

Dan

Dec 24, 2006, 3:17:49 PM12/24/06
Didn't you tell us a year ago it had been certified as airworthy?

Juan Jimenez

Dec 24, 2006, 4:44:15 PM12/24/06

"Dan" <B2...@aol.com> wrote in message

No, that's the story of _your_ life, Dan. Get over it. :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 24, 2006, 4:49:32 PM12/24/06

"Deaf2u" <an...@anon.net> wrote in message

No, not yet. Everything but, thanks to an asshole inspector. He's been taken
care of. Now I have to wait for Miami. In the meanwhile, I disassembled my
engine, cleaned the injectors, fuel distribution block filters and spill
valve, checked everything over and put it back together. I haven't had time
to put it in the airplane again, been travelling too much. My calendar on my
Treo is packed. Between January and the 2nd week of March I'll be in DC,
Jacksonville, L.A., Chicago, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore. Then ICU, to
recover from the jet lag, and then I think I will have time to put things
back together again.

It will be taped when it flies. It's just a matter of time and perseverance.
Not easy getting a homebuilt jet in the air on a working man's budget...

Juan

Juan Jimenez

Dec 24, 2006, 4:46:05 PM12/24/06

"Dan" <B2...@aol.com> wrote in message

Now you've forgotten how to read? What else have you forgotten? :)

I said it had passed its first condition inspection and been signed off as
airworthy. It's a requirement for exp/exhibition. And it's on my home page.
Get a grip and get over it.

Roger

Dec 24, 2006, 7:06:59 PM12/24/06
On 23 Dec 2006 10:22:58 -0800, "gorgon" <gorg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I think this will settle the smallest jet conundrum.
>
>http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html

Now THAT is *impressive*

Dan

Dec 24, 2006, 7:09:17 PM12/24/06
So it pass its airworthiness, now put the engine back in and fly it.

Harry K

Dec 24, 2006, 10:49:03 PM12/24/06

And he can always find someone else to blame the delay on. I wonder if
there is any way to check to see if his name _is_ on the waiting list.

Harry K

Juan Jimenez

Dec 26, 2006, 9:32:51 AM12/26/06

"Harry K" <turnk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tell you what, since you're so obsessed by it, now it's YOUR fault. Have
fun, putz. :)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 26, 2006, 9:32:09 AM12/26/06

"Roger" <GetVali...@my.com> wrote in message

I showed that to my son a long time ago. He no longer thinks I'm crazy (or
at least he's moved me down a notch on the list). :)

fhi...@hotmail.com

Dec 26, 2006, 2:23:30 PM12/26/06

Geez, you will be in Singapore in March. Let me know when,Singapore
is only a $12.00 ferry boat trip from Batam. It takes about an hour and
I make the trip quite often. It would be really fun to run into you on
this side of the world (no Puerto Rican cops). Might just settle this
issue of you wanting to bitch slap me. That's if you have balls enough
to try.

Frank M.Hitlaw
Batam Riau Islands,Indonesia

Dan

Dec 26, 2006, 4:46:48 PM12/26/06

Dan

Dec 26, 2006, 4:47:56 PM12/26/06

Get it on video and share......if the li'l twerp shows.

Message has been deleted

Richard Isakson

Dec 26, 2006, 9:34:27 PM12/26/06

"Juan Jimenez" wrote ...

> "Richard Isakson" wrote ...
> > Warning!: From what Juan has written on this newsgroup, he hasn't been
> > able start his engine in a Year and a half.
>
> The engine was just reassembled after an injector inspection showed
several
> of them were partly clogged. They were inspected in Idaho and the engine
is
> now reassembled.

Juan,

It's good that you found a problem that may get your engine running again
but aren't you missing something? If your engine truly is "new", then all
that injector clogging happened in just a brief ten hours. There must be an
underlying systems problem that caused the clogging. Have you found that
problem? If not it will just re-occur in the next ten hoursof running time.
Have you informed any potential buyers that they are going to have to pull
the engine every ten hour to clean the injectors?

Rich

Wayne Paul

Dec 26, 2006, 10:05:30 PM12/26/06

"Richard Isakson" <r...@whidbey.com> wrote in message

Juan,

Who do you use to inspect your injectors? I live in Idaho and hopefully the
company is located nearby.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Jerry Springer

Dec 26, 2006, 11:21:23 PM12/26/06

>> Geez, you will be in Singapore in March. Let me know when,Singapore
>> is only a $12.00 ferry boat trip from Batam. It takes about an hour and
>> I make the trip quite often. It would be really fun to run into you on
>> this side of the world (no Puerto Rican cops). Might just settle this
>> issue of you wanting to bitch slap me. That's if you have balls enough
>> to try.
>> Frank M.Hitlaw
>> Batam Riau Islands,Indonesia
>>

> Get it on video and share......if the li'l twerp shows.
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

"little" li,l twerp Bwahhaahaa, you have seen his recent
pictures? :-)

Juan Jimenez

Dec 27, 2006, 12:55:15 PM12/27/06

<fhi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Geez, you will be in Singapore in March. Let me know when,Singapore
> is only a $12.00 ferry boat trip from Batam. It takes about an hour and
> I make the trip quite often. It would be really fun to run into you on
> this side of the world (no Puerto Rican cops). Might just settle this
> issue of you wanting to bitch slap me. That's if you have balls enough
> to try.

You're still itching for the five fingered tattoo? :)

Is your medical plan up to date?

It is loading more messages.