Toyota (aluminum) Diesel 1.4 D-4D ...89 bhp

Montblack

Apr 13, 2006, 11:25:29 PM4/13/06
Anyone know the weight of this Toyota (European) aluminum diesel engine?
I've looked, can't fint it.

1.4 D-4D (89 bhp)
All-aluminum?

Anyone using one of these in an airplane yet?

ANY successful auto-diesel conversions in the air?

Montblack

karel

Apr 14, 2006, 12:46:39 AM4/14/06

"Montblack" <Y4-NOT...4monty4blacky@yvisiy.com> schreef in bericht

> ANY successful auto-diesel conversions in the air?
http://membres.lycos.fr/dieselis/

JP

Apr 14, 2006, 11:19:10 AM4/14/06
Look http://www.geocities.com/plane_diesel/index.html

JP

"Montblack" <Y4-NOT...4monty4blacky@yvisiy.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:123u5id...@corp.supernews.com...

Montblack

Apr 14, 2006, 5:03:01 PM4/14/06
("JP" wrote)
> Look http://www.geocities.com/plane_diesel/index.html

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its
data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Are you the site owner? Avoid service interruptions in the future by
increasing your data transfer limit! Find out how.

(Hope it didn't overload because of us. <g>)

Montblack

JP

Apr 14, 2006, 5:16:02 PM4/14/06
Hmm... I have no problems with the site. On the other hand, I am linked to
it from the Europe.

JP

"Montblack" <Y4-NOT...4monty4blacky@yvisiy.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:12403gq...@corp.supernews.com...

JP

Apr 14, 2006, 6:00:11 PM4/14/06
The info from the site (page 2) is following:

BMW Mini and Toyota Yaris - to be supplied by Toyota

The all-new 1.4-litre direct injection Toyota turbo diesel will be the
first diesel ever fitted in a Mini, and is expected to draw on technology
developed by Toyota subsidiary Daihatsu. The Daihatsu turbo diesel produced
fuel economy figures below 3 litres/100 km when fitted in a Daihatsu compact
sedan.

Toyota Yaris England or Echo Australia ECHO Philippines or Vitz Japan 1.4ltr
D-4D
The 66mpg Toyota Yaris D-4D. 170Nm is realised at only 2,000rpm,... Power
output is modest at 74bhp,.the block is aluminium, making it one of the
lightest diesels on the market."

Both the cylinder head, block and air-air intercooler are made of aluminium
alloy. As another clever way to save space and weight, the Toyota
turbocharger is completely integrated into the exhaust manifold and the
alloy intake manifold is also integrated into the cylinder head. in a
weight of just 99kg for the 1.4 D-4D engine

The normally aspirated 1.3-litre engine is a version of the Yaris with
different state of tune to pump out 90 hp. It also features VVT-i continuous
variable valve timing although Daihatsu called it "DVVT" instead (D for
Daihatsu?)

JP

"Montblack" <Y4-NOT...4monty4blacky@yvisiy.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:12403gq...@corp.supernews.com...

Philippe Vessaire

Apr 14, 2006, 6:11:21 PM4/14/06
Montblack wrote:

> Anyone know the weight of this Toyota (European) aluminum diesel engine?
> I've looked, can't fint it.
>
> 1.4 D-4D (89 bhp)
> All-aluminum?

108kg

> Anyone using one of these in an airplane yet?

no

May be i will work on it within few years ...

I own a car with this engine.... (toyota 1ND-TV)

> ANY successful auto-diesel conversions in the air?

with other engines, yes
http://gazaile2.free.fr/

by
--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Philippe Vessaire

Apr 14, 2006, 6:13:54 PM4/14/06
JP wrote:

> BMW Mini and Toyota Yaris - to be supplied by Toyota

And Corolla

> The normally aspirated 1.3-litre engine is a version of the Yaris with
> different state of tune to pump out 90 hp. It also features VVT-i

No, vvt is for mogas engines

By

Montblack

Apr 14, 2006, 6:43:46 PM4/14/06
("karel" wrote)
[link]

http://membres.lycos.fr/dieselis/
(English on the left menu)
From the site:

WEIGHT
The stripped engine (cast iron block) weighs 105 kg as compared to 60 kg for
a Rotax 912 or 75 kg for a typical VW type engine. With the accessories
installed on the engine, the weight goes up to 135 kg which results in an
additional 50 kg to the aircraft empty weight.

POWER
The Opel factory technical data for the turbo engine without an intercooler
indicates 67 hp at 4600 rpm, and a maximum torque of 123 Nm around 2600 /
2800 rpm. The power curve is that of a typical diesel, very flat at its
maximum : the engine produces 63 hp at 3600 rpm, and there are only 4 hp
more to be gained in the last 1000 rpm. The intercooler, by cooling the
intake air, should augment the power by 8 -10 %. These DIN figures include
the accessories and are thus more stringent than the SAE norm.

[Me again]
Thus my question about Toyota's new all-alluminum diesel engine.
1.4 D-4D 89 bhp @3600rpm (IIRC)

Toyota's one puts out 26 more bhp than the Opel (above) at lower rpm's to
boot. Plus, the all-aluminum Toyota engine should be lighter than the cast
iron block Opel.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/diesel/diesel-new-toyota-yaris/2
"The same 1.3-litre four-cylinder design that powered the first Yaris to
such heights of popularity sits alongside it, but the best for performance
is Toyota's world-first all-aluminium 1.4-litre diesel. It positively
sparkles here, producing a muscular 89bhp (up 15bhp on its previous
incarnation) and a pump-dodging 62.8mpg overall. Yet it reaches 62mph in a
respectable 10.7 seconds. Like the 1.3, it's available with five-speed
manual or new Multi-Mode gearing that allows you to automatic or sequential
gear changes."

<http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/toyota-yaris-1.4-d4-d-range-1003286.html>
"Wisely, Toyota have retained and improved the all-aluminium 1.4-litre D-4D
turbo charged diesel engine that featured in the old Yaris and is the
subject of the model we look at here."

"4-litre turbo-charged diesel engine have seen an increase in the injection
pressure to 1600 bar with six-hole injectors. This makes the fuel burn more
efficiently, giving increased power and better fuel economy. This has
resulted in an engine that delivers 89bhp at 3,600rpm compared to 74bhp at
4,000rpm for the previous model. The sprint from 0 to 62mph is achieved in
10."

[Me again]
Just wondering if this engine [type] is the VW /Corvair/Subaru/Geo of the
21st Century.

Montblack

Montblack

Apr 14, 2006, 8:54:53 PM4/14/06
("JP" wrote)

> Hmm... I have no problems with the site. On the other hand, I am linked to
> it from the Europe.

It's up again.

Found the weight of the engine: 99kg for the Toyota, but that includes some
stuff.

http://www.geocities.com/plane_diesel/index2.html