Transmission Problem in 82 Accord

Georgi Mandushev

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

I have an 82 Accord and recently its automatic transmission has
developed strange habits. When completely cold, it would not
shift at all. After you drive for a short time (a mile or so) it
will start shifting into 2nd gear, but not into 3rd.
It has to warm up really well to start shifting into 3rd, and
it doesn't really shift as well as it used to: it will revv the
engine by 500-1000 rpm before it shifts, especially when under
load. After it warms up, it upshits really easily into 2nd, and
easily into 3rd on a level road or downhill. It always downshifts
OK.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? First I thought it was
the fluid, so I took it to a Honda dealer and they changed it. But
it didn't help. I checked the level after they put a new fluid
and it looks a little bit high. But it may be that the place I
park is not as level as I think it is. So is my tranny going the
big Auto Tranny in the sky? Is it easy to fix it (preferably
myself)? Or it can stay this way for a long time? It's not really
that bad after the car warms up, so if it's not going to become
worse, I may just leave this way.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

George