Welcome to Texas, Petitioners for Anti-Secession!

News

Nov 13, 2012, 9:50:43 PM11/13/12
Since President Obama�s re-election last week, the White House website,
which offers Americans a chance to gather signatures to demand an
official response from the administration, has seen a flood of petitions
aimed at securing a peaceful exit from the union for various states.

One petition demanding the administration �grant the State of Texas to
withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW
government� has secured over 83,000 signatures. The White House has said
it will respond to any petitions that receive backing from 25,000 people
or more.

The movement has drawn enough attention to prompt several top Republican
politicians and commentators to distance themselves from it. Now it�s
spawning a counter-movement of satirical counter-petitions.

A petition to �Deport Everyone That Signed A Petition To Withdraw Their
State From The United States Of America� has already gained over 7,500
signatures.

Another one asks the president to �sign an executive order such that
each American citizen who signed a petition from any state to secede
from the USA shall have their citizenship stripped and be peacefully
deported.� It has over 4,440 signatures.

Liberal blogger Dave Waldman took a more absurdist approach with his
petition: �Peacefully grant the State of Herp-a-Derp to withdraw from
the United States of America & create its own NEW government.� It
concludes with a plea to �please keep sending my Social Security check.
I earned that, yo.�

Asked for comment, Waldman told TPM, �I actually don�t have anything to
add. There�s no deeper hidden meaning or anything.�

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/the-rise-of-the-anti-secession-petitions.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Bobster

Nov 13, 2012, 11:57:28 PM11/13/12
On Nov 14, 4:50 am, News <N...@Group.Name> wrote:
<snip>
> One petition demanding the administration “grant the State of Texas to
> withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW
> government” has secured over 83,000 signatures. The White House has said
> it will respond to any petitions that receive backing from 25,000 people
> or more.

Old news. There's been secessionists in Texas for years. I was in
Houston in '97 and they'd just locked a few of them up then.

News

Nov 14, 2012, 7:08:32 AM11/14/12
Those were secessionists. These are anti-secessionists.

They can't decide or make up their little minds.

Bobster

Nov 14, 2012, 7:49:46 AM11/14/12
I'm referring to the guys who want Texas out of the Union. Shoot! That
bunch were at it when there were Texans in the white house.

News

Nov 14, 2012, 8:01:41 AM11/14/12
Right, the former would secede by force, the latter want to be relieved.

They've always been net recipients of federal tax benefits.

Time to give 'em what they wish for and let 'em go back to Whereverstan.

Sir Tim

Nov 14, 2012, 8:13:10 AM11/14/12
I have an idea in the back of my head that Texas is the only state in
the Union that maintains the right to secede, or is this a myth?

--
Henry Birkin, Bt.

Noj

Nov 14, 2012, 8:28:55 AM11/14/12
News wrote ...
Are there enough Mexicans in Texas for them to finally take over?

News

Nov 14, 2012, 8:33:40 AM11/14/12
Add H1-B workers and for sure...

Gene

Nov 14, 2012, 8:43:48 AM11/14/12
"Sir Tim" <Gongo...@monza.com> wrote in message
In a word, yes.
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texas.asp

News

Nov 14, 2012, 9:09:41 AM11/14/12
Notwithstanding, many are willing to overlook this detail.

Gene

Nov 14, 2012, 9:24:57 AM11/14/12
"News" <Ne...@Groups.Post> wrote in message
True, but just no one of any import.

News

Nov 14, 2012, 9:29:25 AM11/14/12
On 11/14/2012 9:24 AM, Gene wrote:
> "News" <Ne...@Groups.Post> wrote in message
>> On 11/14/2012 8:43 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> "Sir Tim" <Gongo...@monza.com> wrote in message

>>> In a word, yes.
>>> http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texas.asp
>>
>> Notwithstanding, many are willing to overlook this detail.
>
> True, but just no one of any import.

The issue is pending response from the White House.

Gene

Nov 14, 2012, 9:43:39 AM11/14/12
"News" <Ne...@Groups.Post> wrote in message
Don't hold your breathe awaiting riposte.

News

Nov 14, 2012, 10:14:45 AM11/14/12
On 11/14/2012 9:43 AM, Gene wrote:
> "News" <Ne...@Groups.Post> wrote in message
>> On 11/14/2012 9:24 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> "News" <Ne...@Groups.Post> wrote in message

>>> True, but just no one of any import.
>>
>> The issue is pending response from the White House.
>
> Don't hold your breathe awaiting riposte.

Letting them twist in the wind works for me...

Gene

Nov 14, 2012, 10:22:17 AM11/14/12
"News" <Ne...@Groups.Post> wrote in message
+1

brafield

Nov 14, 2012, 11:10:37 AM11/14/12
On Nov 14, 4:08 am, News <N...@Group.Name> wrote:

> Those were secessionists.  These are anti-secessionists.

No-one in either group can spell the word 'recessionist'.

A friend was a teacher in Texas when there was a huge public fuss over
a standard elementary school reader. The book had illustrations that
included a boy cooking food. This was so offensive that the State
banned the book, and since it was one among educational materials that
were federally funded, Texas refused federal funding, rather than
pervert its manhood by exposing boys (and girls) to such twisted
commie propaganda.

Texas.

Noj

Nov 14, 2012, 2:16:05 PM11/14/12
brafield wrote ...
Texas doesn't have chefs?

Sir Tim

Nov 14, 2012, 2:29:18 PM11/14/12
Yes, Texas maintains the right to secede or yes, it's a myth?
(I assume from reading the link that you mean the latter).
--
Henry Birkin, Bt.

News

Nov 14, 2012, 2:32:43 PM11/14/12
Yes.

brafield

Nov 14, 2012, 3:16:41 PM11/14/12
They call 'em fry cooks or sumtin'. Ain't "chef" is some kinda french
commie homosekshul?

Gene

Nov 15, 2012, 8:44:10 AM11/15/12
"Sir Tim" <ben...@brooklands.co.uk> wrote in message
Evaluating your single compound sentence as two single,
simple sentences, I interpreted the first to be declarative,
the second interrogative. Accordingly, I considered a reply
to the second of "yes, it is a myth", or more simply (not
stating the implicit aspect), "yes, myth", as redundant,
hence my "one word" response. ;^)

build

Nov 15, 2012, 9:47:18 AM11/15/12
Bob,
I think that OP is trying to say the Texans are not friendly, he might be right but but from my experience that is just wrong but I can only go by my experience of a single ride across the top of Texas from San Diego through Arizona, Colarado, New Mexico and then back again. I found Texans warm, friendly and helpful folk. We stayed a night outside Abaleen and I have to sat those folk were some of the nicest I've ever met. They gave us a meal and party to remember just because we were strangers, guests.

Nah, take folk as you meet them, don't expect much and most like Texans will greet you warmly.

beers,

Bobster

Nov 15, 2012, 10:50:51 AM11/15/12
On Nov 15, 4:47 pm, build <bui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:57:28 PM UTC+11, Bobster wrote:
> > On Nov 14, 4:50 am, News <N...@Group.Name> wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> > > One petition demanding the administration “grant the State of Texas to
>
> > > withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW
>
> > > government” has secured over 83,000 signatures. The White House has said
>
> > > it will respond to any petitions that receive backing from 25,000 people
>
> > > or more.
>
> > Old news. There's been secessionists in Texas for years. I was in
>
> > Houston in '97 and they'd just locked a few of them up then.
>
> Bob,
> I think that OP is trying to say the Texans are not friendly, he might be right but but from my experience that is just wrong but I can only go by my experience of a single ride across the top of Texas from San Diego through Arizona, Colarado, New Mexico and then back again. I found Texans warm, friendly and helpful folk.

I've got a small sample of experience too - a single visit to Houston.
I found people generally friendly, helpful and polite.

Gene

Nov 15, 2012, 11:20:28 AM11/15/12
> "build" <bui...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>don't expect much and most like Texans ....

A good rule-of-thumb when encountering residents of
the southern U.S. in general - don't expect much, and
you're sure not to be disappointed.

Sir Tim

Nov 15, 2012, 1:38:33 PM11/15/12
You are, of course, perfectly correct.

Nevertheless, given that adherents of Usenet are not noted for their
grammatical precision, I maintain that "yes, myth" or "yes: it's a myth"
would have rendered your reply more easily comprehensible to members of
the great unwashed like myself, especially as, in other posts, you have
not shown yourself to be averse to discursive verbiage.

But perhaps it was not your intention to be clear :-)

--
Henry Birkin, Bt.

Gene

Nov 15, 2012, 3:31:52 PM11/15/12
"Sir Tim" <Gongo...@monza.com> wrote in message
Oh I don't know, I think I more tend to give grief when
bullshit is promoted and return both when directed at me.

> But perhaps it was not your intention to be clear :-)

I did after all graciously offer a link that provided a clear,
unambiguous answer to your question ;^)--
> Henry Birkin, Bt.

John Briggs

Nov 15, 2012, 5:14:29 PM11/15/12
In a throwaway line at the end (suggesting that it was obvious nonsense)
- the article was actually devoted to a question that Sir Tim hadn't
(yet) asked :-)
--
John Briggs

Gene

Nov 15, 2012, 7:09:41 PM11/15/12
"John Briggs" <john.b...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Oh, by all means allow me to offer a mea culpa for having the
gall to provide more information than was initially requested. ;^)

Bobster

Nov 15, 2012, 11:59:12 PM11/15/12
On Nov 15, 5:50 pm, Bobster <megap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a small sample of experience too - a single visit to Houston.
> I found people generally friendly, helpful and polite.

I did also find myself wondering if being able to buy a hand gun and
ammo in supermarkets and thinking on Robert Heinlein's observation
that "an armed society is a polite society".

Noj

Nov 16, 2012, 4:49:11 AM11/16/12
Bobster wrote ...
A better description would be repressed.

Bobster

Nov 16, 2012, 4:51:48 AM11/16/12
The way I mangled that a better description would be HUH? Changing
"if" for "about" improves things.

Bigbird

Nov 16, 2012, 5:03:05 AM11/16/12
It is a hypothesis worthy of consideration...but it does not take many
seconds to build a case against it.

Bigbird

Nov 16, 2012, 5:04:00 AM11/16/12
Repressed people are perhaps the most dangerous and volatile...and now
they have a gun.

Noj

Nov 16, 2012, 6:01:01 AM11/16/12
Bigbird wrote ...
Not forgetting - delusional.

They're convinced a gun will solve all problems.

"...No burglars here - I've got a gun. Slight problem, so has the
burglar and he's holding his, whereas yours is unloaded in the bottom of
the wardrobe..."

build

Nov 16, 2012, 7:47:15 AM11/16/12
I think the usual suspects have lost sight of the fact that Texans are like everyone else. There are the odd extremists but the majority are just like us friendly folk. Perhaps they watch watch and believe too much TV?

beers,

Sir Tim

Nov 16, 2012, 8:45:20 AM11/16/12
"Gene" <gene....@home.com> wrote:

> I did after all graciously offer a link that provided a clear,
> unambiguous answer to your question ;^)--

As I acknowledged in my reply.

--
Henry Birkin, Bt.

brafield

Nov 16, 2012, 11:10:12 AM11/16/12
On Nov 15, 8:59 pm, Bobster <megap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did also find myself wondering if being able to buy a hand gun and
> ammo in supermarkets and thinking on Robert Heinlein's observation
> that "an armed society is a polite society".

I don't like Heinlein, but: The most polite and considerate pub I
drank in was a bikers and loggers hell-hole that had bare steel doors
and a waitress like Hulk Hogan. I heard a constant refrain of "Excuse
me", "Sorry", "No problem", "Can I squeeze by", "Cheers", etc. Having
spent years in 'student' type pubs where foul language and mock
threats were de rigeur, this one surprised me. Then my companion
pointed out that, unlike the West End pubs, in the biker bar there
were real-life consequences to being rude or inconsiderate.
This was all years ago, but one memory remains: the bikers would park
their Harleys in a row and then set their helmets in a matching row
out on the sidewalk: absolute security was assumed.

~misfit~

Nov 19, 2012, 12:40:00 AM11/19/12
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Sir Tim wrote:
> I have an idea in the back of my head that Texas is the only state in
> the Union that maintains the right to secede, or is this a myth?

I have that understanding too, but also am unsure of its veracity.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

John Briggs

Nov 19, 2012, 2:58:33 PM11/19/12
On 19/11/2012 05:40, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Sir Tim wrote:
>> I have an idea in the back of my head that Texas is the only state in
>> the Union that maintains the right to secede, or is this a myth?
>
> I have that understanding too, but also am unsure of its veracity.

Read the whole thread - this was disposed of days ago.
--
John Briggs

Noj

Nov 19, 2012, 4:08:14 PM11/19/12
John Briggs wrote ...
The silly old fucker can't read the whole thread, he's bozo'd most of
the posters here.