Help with radio wiring

John Hope

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

I installed a new Alpine radio in my 91 VW GTI and don't know which wire
from the stock radio is the 12v lead to the antennae amp (I hope there
is a wire not connected from the radio to the amp because I can't
receive any AM stations). Could someone tell me what color wire leads
to the amp? I have tried looking in Bently manual with no success. I
appreciate any help.

--GTIracer

Matt Brennan

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Have you tried a wire harness connector? Autosound shops should have it
available over the counter for about $10. It's a plug that does into the
stock connector and then the wires hanging off of it are all labeled.

I did that with my 1991 GTI and all went well, but strangely there was
initially no power to the new stereo at all. Then, there was a seemingly
unused wire that looked like it was clipped from the stock connector, so
just for the helluvit, I spliced into that one. It was power, but it was
activated by the key and not always on like the original radio (but the 1992
models were all key-activated from the factory). Go figure. Still don't
know why the original power supply (always on) didn't work with the new
plug.

--
-Matt
1991 Golf GTI 8v, 101K+ miles and counting...

John Hope

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

I would have used a harness but I don't have the stock connector any more, just
loose wires.
--GTIracer

Matt Brennan wrote:

> Have you tried a wire harness connector? Autosound shops should have it
> available over the counter for about $10. It's a plug that does into the
> stock connector and then the wires hanging off of it are all labeled.

Eric Bateman

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

John Hope wrote:

> I installed a new Alpine radio in my 91 VW GTI and don't know which wire
> from the stock radio is the 12v lead to the antennae amp (I hope there
> is a wire not connected from the radio to the amp because I can't
> receive any AM stations). Could someone tell me what color wire leads
> to the amp? I have tried looking in Bently manual with no success. I
> appreciate any help.

I have a 91 Jetta GLI, which very well may be different, but in my case
it was a black wire. Feel down your antenna cable as far as you can and
try to find a second wire molded into the insulation that breaks away
and goes into the wire harness. I'm not totally sure, but I believe
this to be the power lead. Connect the power antenna lead (blue wire of
Alpine) to this wire, and everything should be okeedokee.

--
Eric
91 Jetta GLI