71 SB Autostick Anyone Know This Sound

payme...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2005, 12:07:48 PM10/19/05
Hello :) - Here is a recording of my 1600cc DP engine in my 1971 Super
Beetle Autostick.

http://payments338.tripod.com/engine5.wav

I can't get it to idle right. Does it sound like something serious is
wrong with the engine?

payme...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2005, 12:12:03 PM10/19/05
On the link, you may need to right click, then save target as..

jboo...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2005, 2:12:27 PM10/19/05
That's a VW?

sounds to me like a cylinder is misfiring?

you start, it sounds fine. Rev tiny bit, sounds
good. Start to rev more and it rattles a bit...

Sounds like you are having to pump the accelerator
to keep it running. This means you're getting gas
from the accelerator pump in the carb, but perhaps
not from the other circuits in the carb..

You say it won't idle..

Do you have power to your cutoff solenoid? I had
the same exact problem, I could drive my bus but
it wouldn't idle and it sounded similar. The wire
had fallen off the idle cutoff solenoid.

Sounds excellent except for starving for fuel.

When you step on accelerator, and hold 1/2 way,
will it keep running?

payme...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2005, 4:45:22 PM10/19/05
Hello - I just went out their and checked some things. I disconected
the idle jet just to see. It wouldn't stay running without constanst
hitting the gas. Plugged it back in, worked better. If I slightly tap
the gas it will stay running. If I screw that thing on the arm in it
will stay running at high rpms. It just wont idle at normal rpms.