infant car seat question

1 view

SharonR899

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Having tried to install my infant car seat today, I realized I have a problem.
The forward-anchored seatbelts in the back seat make the infant seat not safe.
After doing some research on the net, I am madder than ever. Can someone tell
me if Saturn has changed its policy and will fix the seat belt (so it comes out
of the crease) or am I up for a big fight?

Thanks!
Sharon

---------------------------------------
Sharon Reid Harris

Who's your favorite childhood sleuth?
Nancy? Trixie?
Read about your favorite girls' series
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/biblioholc/gseries.html">Girls' Series
Books</A>

Steven M. Scharf

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
SharonR899 wrote in message
<19990515014341...@ng-ba1.aol.com>...

>Having tried to install my infant car seat today, I realized I have a
problem.
>The forward-anchored seatbelts in the back seat make the infant seat not
safe.
>After doing some research on the net, I am madder than ever. Can someone
tell
>me if Saturn has changed its policy and will fix the seat belt (so it comes
out
>of the crease) or am I up for a big fight?

After reading:

http://x32.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=214231982
http://x32.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=346978696
http://x32.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=100885626
http://x32.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=347004388

I wouldn't hold it much hope.

You might want to trade it in on something where the car seat can be
installed better unless a shop can install other seat belts. One of the
posters above installed it in the front seat, but that was in pre-air bag
days. Maybe you could have the air bag disconnected and use the
front seat, it's probably safer having it securely installed in the front
seat than incorrectly installed in the rear seat.

I added 'checking if the car will take child and infant seats' to my car
buying checklist post a while back, after seeing all the posts about
this in this newsgroup.

Clinton was promoting some legislation on child seat retention standards
for new cars. I'd vote for him in 2000 if he got this through! Even on cars
with properly designed seat belts it's a big hassle other than the middle
rear seat, with those damn buckles.

Steve

Darren

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
Steven M. Scharf (sch...@grin.net) wrote:
> SharonR899 wrote in message

> >Having tried to install my infant car seat today, I realized I have a
> problem.
> >The forward-anchored seatbelts in the back seat make the infant seat not
> safe.
> >After doing some research on the net, I am madder than ever. Can someone
> tell
> >me if Saturn has changed its policy and will fix the seat belt (so it comes
> out
> >of the crease) or am I up for a big fight?

Some types of seats work fine, other brands do not, unfortunately.

> After reading:

> I wouldn't hold it much hope.

Misleading and obsolete information. Also read:
http://x35.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=472423218
http://x35.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=439490740
http://x35.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=462029389

> You might want to trade it in on something where the car seat can be
> installed better unless a shop can install other seat belts. One of the
> posters above installed it in the front seat, but that was in pre-air bag
> days. Maybe you could have the air bag disconnected and use the
> front seat, it's probably safer having it securely installed in the front
> seat than incorrectly installed in the rear seat.

You could spend thousands trading in the car, many hundreds installing new
seat belts or under $200 getting a seat that works in Saturns. The great
people at the NHTSA and SafetyBeltSafe both suggested the Fisher Price
Safe Embrace and the Britax Roundabout for Saturns. The SBS people also
said the Evenflo Horizon V may work as well. For infant seats, I had no
problems at all with a Century Smart-Fit plus, and it was also passed by
an NHTSA inspector. Just make sure you buy where there is a good return
policy and have it inspected before the return period expires.

Don't take irresponsible advice on trading in a car when infant and
convertible seats exist that fit well in Saturns.

> I added 'checking if the car will take child and infant seats' to my car
> buying checklist post a while back, after seeing all the posts about
> this in this newsgroup.

<SNIP>

Not every car is compatible with every seat, unfortunately. Advice like
this is misleading. If in doubt, try a seat yourself or talk to real
experts who actually know what they are talking about:
NHTSA compatability info: 888-610-1124
SafetyBeltSafe: 800-745-7233

You can also find a local expert/inspector using this NHTSA utility:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/Contacts/index.cfm

--
Regards,

Darren

pats...@my-dejanews.com

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
We tried the Evenflo-V and the Fisher-price Safety Embrace. Both fit
fine but the Fisher-price seemed a little better. If you are facing
back I think the Evenflo went to 30 pounds but that didnt matter to us
since it faces front in my SL1. The Evenflo was like $80 and the
Fisher-price was onsale for $99.

In article <7hk6bl$ec1$2...@ffx2nh5.news.uu.net>,

Mist...@aol.com

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
Message:  1 of 5From:SharonR899 <sharo...@aol.com>Topic:infant car seat
questionSent:15 May 1999 05:43:41 GMTHaving tried to install my infant car

Message:  2 of 5From:Steven M. Scharf <sch...@grin.net>Topic:Re: infant car
seat questionSent:Sat, 15 May 1999 07:12:41 -0700SharonR899 wrote in message
<19990515014341...@ng-ba1.aol.com>... >Having tried to install

my infant car seat today, I realized I have a problem.
>The forward-anchored seatbelts in the back seat make the infant seat not
safe.
>After doing some research on the net, I am madder than ever. Can someone
tell
>me if Saturn has changed its policy and will fix the seat belt (so it comes
out
>of the crease) or am I up for a big fight?

After reading:

I wouldn't hold it much hope.

------------------------------------
There is hope! Which model Saturn do you have? Weve got an older Fisher
Price infant/toddler seat in our SW1. I think it is discontinued but from
looking at the other posts it seems like there are a few newer models to
choose from. We brought the seat with us when we bought the car to test the
fit and it was fine. Saturn even installed the tether for us and double
checked everything! Good luck.

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Steven M. Scharf

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99
> There is hope! Which model Saturn do you have? Weve got an older Fisher
> Price infant/toddler seat in our SW1. I think it is discontinued but from
> looking at the other posts it seems like there are a few newer models to
> choose from. We brought the seat with us when we bought the car to test
the
> fit and it was fine. Saturn even installed the tether for us and double
> checked everything! Good luck.

Then I stand corrected. Thanks for posting that.

Steve

Victor Smith

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
On 15 May 1999 16:11:33 GMT, spamb...@maxx.mc.net (Darren) wrote:

>Steven M. Scharf (sch...@grin.net) wrote:

>> You might want to trade it in on something where the car seat can be
>> installed better unless a shop can install other seat belts.

snip

>You could spend thousands trading in the car, many hundreds installing new
>seat belts or under $200 getting a seat that works in Saturns. The great
>people at the NHTSA and SafetyBeltSafe both suggested the Fisher Price
>Safe Embrace and the Britax Roundabout for Saturns. The SBS people also
>said the Evenflo Horizon V may work as well. For infant seats, I had no
>problems at all with a Century Smart-Fit plus, and it was also passed by
>an NHTSA inspector. Just make sure you buy where there is a good return
>policy and have it inspected before the return period expires.
>
>Don't take irresponsible advice on trading in a car when infant and
>convertible seats exist that fit well in Saturns.

snip

>Not every car is compatible with every seat, unfortunately. Advice like
>this is misleading. If in doubt, try a seat yourself or talk to real
>experts who actually know what they are talking about:
>NHTSA compatability info: 888-610-1124
>SafetyBeltSafe: 800-745-7233
>
>You can also find a local expert/inspector using this NHTSA utility:
>http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/Contacts/index.cfm
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Darren

Thanks, Darren, for setting the record straight, and providing useful
and current information . It's mind-boggling that somebody should
suggest trading in a car because he doesn't know how to locate an
infant seat appropriate for the car.

--Vic, thankful for those out there who correct the bad advice so
often found on the internet.

Prepr8tn H

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

>Thanks, Darren, for setting the record straight, and providing useful
>and current information . It's mind-boggling that somebody should
>suggest trading in a car because he doesn't know how to locate an
>infant seat appropriate for the car.
>
>--Vic, thankful for those out there who correct the bad advice so
>often found on the internet.

I just put the kids in the trunk. My son cried for a week but eventually grew
used to being in there. My daughter is only one month so she should have no
problem getting used to the trunk. I dont know what I will do when they get
big, I may get a SW2 :-) Richy 98SL2