M-151 Mutt / Jeep

William Oliveri

Dec 13, 2004, 4:39:58 PM12/13/04

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 13, 2004, 5:05:26 PM12/13/04
Nope, it's a titanium, unitized, independent suspension, Ford, with
a Rolls Royce engine, fortunately I was assigned a Dodge with Real leaf
springs and axles: http://www.billhughes.com/billsM37.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/billsM37.jpg

PLB49

Dec 14, 2004, 8:53:51 PM12/14/04

>And, is the engine really manufactured by RR or even a RR design?? I
>always thought it was a Ford. I have worked on actual Rolls Royce
>engines and the four cylinder Mutt engine just never even looked like
>Rolls Royce. In fact I don't think any US military vehicle ever used a
>RR engine.

LOL! The 151's we had were Fords! We always said they had Pinto engines, but
don't know if that was true or just general griping!

Paul B.
SP-5, USAR, 1971-77

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 14, 2004, 9:45:34 PM12/14/04
Troll, you couldn't even reorganize Rolls Royce Jet engine a:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6c29e51e-4d2a-11d9-b3be-00000e2511c8.html Go
back to school, then maybe you'll learn to count as high as the number
companies they've build engines for. Then when you grow up and joint the
military, you'll find most everything is titanium for it's light weight,
strength, and high heat resistance. Just try cutting it with a torch.

Ted wrote:

> Tell us Bill, what is titanium on the Mutt?

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 14, 2004, 9:50:08 PM12/14/04
Pinto engines use an overhead cam and rubber timing belt, like the
rice burners.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 14, 2004, 10:47:43 PM12/14/04
You got to be queer in every sense of the word.

Ted wrote:

> It's obvious you jointed a _lot_ in the military.

Howard Eisenhauer

Dec 14, 2004, 11:06:53 PM12/14/04
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK getting cut up with a torch is
exactly what happened to most of the 151s, I've seen a few that were
welded back togeather again. For Titanium they were damn rusty-

Don't ever recall ever seeing one burning JP4 insted of gasoline
though- :).

From

http://www.geocities.com/fordm151/

I quote -

"In 1960 quantity production of the M151 started at Ford's Highland
Park factory in Michigan. The engine was the Ford L142 - a 4-cylinder
2,320 cc. unit delivering 72 bhp. at 4,000 rpm. - but the steel bodies
were built by Fruehauf. "

Howard.

Matt Macchiarolo

Dec 14, 2004, 11:48:24 PM12/14/04
Bill's got a tendency to correct you if you're right...

;-)

"Howard Eisenhauer" <how...@REMOVECAPShfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 15, 2004, 12:12:05 AM12/15/04
Hi Howard,
You didn't see that was a "geocities" site, with glaring errors,
like there's no frame for one.
They cut them up before they could be sold as surplus salvage, for
litigious reasons. It was impossible to weld or even bolt the halves
together even using a gusset, and not have something even more
dangerous. When I was in the ARMY they definitely didn't have a steel
bodies, they were made light, as you may see each axle had a loop to
attach to a parachute. This site says they were all aluminum:
http://www.m151.uklinux.net/military/m151/m151.html Yes, Ford
assembled the M-151, along with Kaiser Jeep, AM General and General
Motors, but you'll never find that engine anywhere else. Does this look
like an American Carburetor to you?
http://www.m151.uklinux.net/military/m151/gallery/mutt3.jpg

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 15, 2004, 12:16:35 AM12/15/04
Just read the facts! Don't making them up, like your loser party.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

Dave Milne

Dec 15, 2004, 3:17:27 AM12/15/04
Looks like a Stromberg or SU.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net> wrote in message

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 15, 2004, 3:30:09 AM12/15/04
Yup, just like you Limeys would put on it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

Lee Ayrton

Dec 15, 2004, 11:58:25 AM12/15/04
On Tue, 15 Dec 2004, PLB49 wrote:

>> And, is the engine really manufactured by RR or even a RR design?? I
>> always thought it was a Ford. I have worked on actual Rolls Royce

> LOL! The 151's we had were Fords! We always said they had Pinto

> engines, but don't know if that was true or just general griping!

This page (and others) says that the M151 used one or two engines, either
a Continental license-built by Ford or a militarized Hercules Industrial.

9. The M151 Page
<URL:http://www.m38a1.ca/m151.html>

Other sources also say that the bodies were built by a variety of makers,
including Fruehauf and Budd.

--
Some conditions apply. YMMV. This message was packed by weight, not
by volume. TWIAVBP, local variation may occur. Dramatization, not a real

Ted

Dec 14, 2004, 8:35:50 PM12/14/04

L.W. Hughes III (ßill) wrote:
> Nope, it's a titanium, unitized, independent suspension, Ford, with
> a Rolls Royce engine, fortunately I was assigned a Dodge with Real
leaf
> springs and axles: http://www.billhughes.com/billsM37.jpg
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Tell us Bill, what is titanium on the Mutt?

And, is the engine really manufactured by RR or even a RR design?? I
always thought it was a Ford. I have worked on actual Rolls Royce

Ted

Dec 14, 2004, 10:04:31 PM12/14/04
L.W. Hughes III (ßill) wrote:
> Troll, you couldn't even reorganize Rolls Royce Jet engine a:
> http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6c29e51e-4d2a-11d9-b3be-00000e2511c8.html Go
> back to school, then maybe you'll learn to count as high as the
number
> companies they've build engines for. Then when you grow up and joint
the
> military, you'll find most everything is titanium for it's light
weight,
> strength, and high heat resistance. Just try cutting it with a torch.

Ted

Dec 15, 2004, 7:52:32 PM12/15/04
L.W. Hughes III (ßill) wrote:
> You got to be queer in every sense of the word.
"Idiot" only has one sense, and you're the dictionary example.

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 15, 2004, 9:57:36 PM12/15/04

Lon

Dec 15, 2004, 11:04:58 PM12/15/04
Appears to be the dashpot cap of the sewer valve SU's, but seems a bit
short unless the photo is from an unobviously bad angle.
Hitachi-Solex would be another guess, but they were tall much like the
unlamented SU.

PS. Wonder how much a Unisyn and SU Tool is worth on eBay?

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Dave Milne

Dec 16, 2004, 3:20:33 AM12/16/04
Its a Zenith apparently...

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Lon" <lon.s...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Mike Romain

Dec 16, 2004, 9:36:13 AM12/16/04
That sure looks like a Stromberg to me. Same one they used on the
Volvo's.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 16, 2004, 3:46:38 PM12/16/04
Hi Mike,
When you suggested Stromberg, it reminds me that was the carburetor
I chose to use on my '57 Bird (pre big Holleys):
http://www.vintagespeed.com/newprod.htm to use on my 430" stinkin'
Lincoln conversion for '59, three 97s:
http://www.billhughes.com/tBirdPipeWrench.jpg The carburetor on the Mutt
looks exactly like the carburetors on an aluminum bodied '55 Austin
Healey I once owned. First and last British product, lesson well
learned. This '62 pictured says they were S. U.s:
http://www.hymanltd.com/search/details.asp?stockno=2790&recordCount=0

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/57bird.jpg

Mike Romain

Dec 16, 2004, 4:01:23 PM12/16/04
That Austin is sweet. Triple SU's, man those must have been a riot to
sync up. LOL! I played with lots of dual SU and Stromberg systems and
they were a hoot. Got good enough the boys were bringing me the 6 packs
to sync.

The SU has a taller pot on it, the Stromberg or Zenith on the mutt is
squatter like this Volvo one:
http://www.volvoadventures.com/121JoaquinPeru1006.jpg

Mike

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 16, 2004, 4:39:04 PM12/16/04
Hi Mike,
There were two on my '55 and I didn't have any problem with them.
It was the typical rainy day shorting that all British cars seam to have
during that time. And it kept losing it's alignment on our California
roads, and the loose spokes, And the paint pealing off the aluminum
body, and the stripped bolts in that aluminum, and the..... etc., etc.,
etc.!
Synchronizing multiple slide type carburetors is a must, especially
on puny engines like the Honda four motorcycles. I used that little
clear plastic tester that raised a ball to compare venturi speeds

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 16, 2004, 4:49:12 PM12/16/04
Seemed.

Lon

Dec 16, 2004, 10:54:16 PM12/16/04

I quickly found out that the best way to sync multiple SU's was to
set them up properly once. Then replace the !#@$!@#$ original
equipment jets with ones that didn't leak at the hose coupling.
Then set them up again. Then use very light oil or better tranny
fluid in the dashpots. Then leave the damn things alone and go fix
the even more crappy ignition before laying a finger on the carbs.
The japanese versions on the old Datsun 2 litre 4 banger were pretty
much a set and forget type--unlike the MG, the TR Spitfire, the TR4,
the Jag [have I mentioned I tend to repeat mistakes yet?] etc.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 17, 2004, 12:23:03 AM12/17/04
Yup, that's what that plastic screw thingie was for, to unscrew and
top off with oil, with every lube job. I took a job to start an old MG,
one of the sleeves was stuck wide open, and I didn't know it until after
I squirted it with starting fluid and cranked it. Must of done ten grand
for ten seconds, with the ignition off. Fortunately she tuned up
perfect, without any extra knocks.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

Dave Milne

Dec 17, 2004, 2:31:29 AM12/17/04
I had a boss who had one which would break down every other day. I fixed it
for him one lunchtime in a client's carpark so we could get home ; the
bastard wrote on my review form for the assignment that I had "oil under my
fingernails". If I ever see that MGB again, I'm doing to drive my Waggy
right over the top of it..

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net> wrote in message

Patrick

Dec 17, 2004, 12:33:09 PM12/17/04
he would have got my feet in his A.....

LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame
Gatineau, Qc
J8P 1K6
(819) 643-0511
SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511
NOUVEAU REVENDEUR AUTORISEE SERVICE INTERNET

pat...@leclone.com
www.leclone.com

President
Patrick Guarnaccia
"Dave Milne" <jeep@_nospam_milne.info> wrote in message

Howard Eisenhauer

Dec 17, 2004, 7:29:51 PM12/17/04
Hey Bill, sorry to take so long getting back to this, had to do a
little reaserch :).

First off, I did see the website you posted. I'd have to say I'm a
little leary about *Thier* accuracy. The part where they say the
original developement contract was let out in 1950 as a replacement
was required for the M38A1 seems a little suspect as the A1 didn't
enter service until '52-'53 somwheres. I do seem to recall that the
151's were unibody construction, certainly the one we had in our unit
when I was in the military had a pronounced bend in the middle from
someone getting a little too enthusiastic about jumping a ditch with
it :). Can't see that it would look quite the way it did with
body-on-frame construction. Here's a picture of one from underneath,

http://members.aol.com/muttguru/a2lc-f.JPG

Now I did contact my wife's second cousin's husband about all this as
he owns a 151A2 that he's in the process of restoring. Just for the
record he's a machinst working for Pratt & Whitney where he earns a
living turning hunks of titanium into PT6 turbine wheels, so I'm
assuming he knows the difference between titanium, aluminum & steel.
He tells me he's heard that some all aluminum 151s were built for
airborne use (or maybe he's thinking of the Mighty Mite
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=69
) but the vast majority were built of steel, certainly not titanium.
His certainly makes an excellant storage system for refrigerator
magnets ;>.

For the engine, his is definately a Ford. A couple of web pages list
two other engines (maybe earlier versions?), a Continental with a
downdraft carb & a Hercules with the side draft. I can't comment on
the carb in the picture as I have no experience with British or other
european carbs. but doing a Google on M151+carburetor brings back
links that seem to idicate the carbs are Zeniths. Yup, it looks
strange alright, but to me so does the right angle doo-hickey one on
the M38A1. Maybe the Mutt uses a British Ford engine (Cosworth
Mutt?!? WOOHOO!!!) but I'm suspecting the reason it looks funny is
the design requirement for it not to leak water inside whilst
submerged :(.

Commnets?

H.

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 17, 2004, 7:54:32 PM12/17/04
Howard, I don't know what they're looking at, but the M-151 I drove back
in '66 had independent suspension, like:
http://www.m151.uklinux.net/military/m151/gallery/muttdrw.jpg

Lon

Dec 17, 2004, 11:14:20 PM12/17/04
The Jag 3.8 S had a somewhat similar failure mode that would have
spawned massive lawsuits today. Took a used one on a test drive and
as soon as it warmed up it headed for the redline--which is a bit
more of a pucker factor in a Jag than in an MG.

Never used oil in my 'B, stretched the springs and ran ATF in them.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Howard Eisenhauer

Dec 18, 2004, 9:51:21 AM12/18/04
*Blush*

I hate to say it but I never even noticed some body had snuck an axle
in there! I was fixating on the frame, or lack of :(. You are of
course absoulutely correct about the independant suspension. Turns out
that the photo in the link was of a one-off prototype that was built
as a possible cure for handling problems of the first two versions,
they decided to go with the trailing arms instead on the A2s.

But I still don't think they had any titanium in'em :).

H.

L.W. Hughes III

Dec 18, 2004, 10:29:05 AM12/18/04
Hi Howard,
I was just told they were titanium, while I drove one, I was unable
to find anything stating that they were anything, but all aluminum, and
were especially made to jump with, hence the axle hub loops.
I think I may have though you for a loop, when my dyslexia wrote
Mutt, instead of M-151 and as usual dyslexia won't allow me to see it on
proof read, usually they add a little malapropism.