87 XJ intermittent no-start problem

Charles Stoyer

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
My wife's 87 Cherokee XJ 4.0 l 5-speed manual won't start on occasion. Once
while it was hot and we cranked and cranked. Sometimes would try, but...
White smoke coming out of exhaust. Battery and starter are good, it cranks
well but won't start. Rolling it and kick starting it worked fine.

I thought it was a problem when engine was hot.

Then, I started it up and stalled it while trying to pull out of the drive
with a snowmobile trailer. It was cold. Then wouldn't start. Cranked and
cranked. So I rolled it forward onto the road and it kick started
immediately.

Seems like there is a difference when starting it with the starter or not.
As if some sensor is not working or there's a loose connection or a short?

Any suggestions appreciated. I hate intermittent problems. At least if it
were broken I could take it to the dealer or an independent shop.

Thanks in advance,

Charles.

--
Charles Stoyer
Golden CO

jpe...@my-deja.com

Nov 27, 2000, 7:38:46 PM11/27/00
In article <LfCU5.1059$vv2....@e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com>,

Prior posts consensus on probable cause is TPS, throttle position
sensor, and/or CPS, crankshaft position sensor. Here's a link to

http://x67.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=685796053

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mike Romain

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
That sounds to me like a bad starting circuit.

With the key in the start position and the starter cranking, the coil
gets it's positive power from the starter solenoid.

With the key in the run position, the coil gets it's positive power from
the ballast resistor circuit.

I would clean the connections on the starter solenoid first.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail
88 Cherokee 235 AT's
Build and Trips Photos: