98 Civic Speedo jumps/check engine light

ran...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2006, 8:51:30 PM6/24/06
The other day I was driving home, cruising at a constant speed when
suddenly my speedo dropped down to zero and the check engine light came
on. After that, the speedo jumped all over the place, past 100 mph,
back to zero, totally random, and the transmission started shifting
weird, so I figured it wasn't just my speedometer... I unplugged the
connector for the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and now the transmission is
pretty much back to normal, but of course, I still have my check engine
light, and the speedo stays at zero.
Today, I installed a new speed sensor, and I get the exact same problem
- clunky transmission, crazy speedo... So now I think it must be
something else, like wiring or grounds. I've also noticed that
occasionally I my dash lights and dome light seem to "throb", but
that's been happening since before the speedo problem. I've seem other
posts online where others had the same problem, but noone ever said
what it was. Should I be looking at my alternator, wires, grounds, or
is it possible I got a brand new broken speed sensor?
I have no problem checking all that stuff, but hoped somebody would
read this that had the same issue and could save me some
troubleshooting time.

Thanks,
Randy

jim beam

Jun 24, 2006, 9:57:03 PM6/24/06
for ~$60, you can go to sears and get a code reader. your car is obdcII
compliant. or you can have the codes read for free by some auto parts
stores. once you have the code, you can fix the problem.

ran...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2006, 10:58:30 PM6/24/06
Jim,

I just got the codes read: Speed sensor & both oxygen sensors. That
doesn't really help *me* at all. Like I said, I already tried replacing
the speed sensor, and the oxygen sensors wouldn't seem to have anything
to do with the symptoms I described.

-Randy

jim beam wrote:
> ran...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The other day I was driving home, cruising at a constant speed when

[snip]

jim beam

Jun 24, 2006, 11:36:34 PM6/24/06
ran...@gmail.com wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I just got the codes read: Speed sensor & both oxygen sensors. That
> doesn't really help *me* at all. Like I said, I already tried replacing
> the speed sensor, and the oxygen sensors wouldn't seem to have anything
> to do with the symptoms I described.

so what are the codes? i mean the readout numbers, not what you've been
told they are.

Curly Q. Links

Jun 25, 2006, 12:32:23 AM6/25/06

Even if you aren't covered by the GREAT IGNITION SWITCH RECALL, it might
be your problem.

Was it changed? Here's the link for the ACCORD version of the recall:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-031e.pdf

Google will find you lots more symptoms.

'Curly'

SoCalMike

Jun 26, 2006, 12:11:37 AM6/26/06

my 1998 hatch did the same thing. fixed under warranty. the wiring
harness with the VSS got loose and was rubbing against a bracket under
the intake manifold, supposedly.

i wonder if theres a TSB about it?

SoCalMike

Jun 26, 2006, 12:12:41 AM6/26/06
ran...@gmail.com wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I just got the codes read: Speed sensor & both oxygen sensors. That
> doesn't really help *me* at all. Like I said, I already tried replacing
> the speed sensor, and the oxygen sensors wouldn't seem to have anything
> to do with the symptoms I described.

its gotta be the wiring loom under the intake manifold. there is no
other answer.

id put money down that all those wires are bundled together.

SoCalMike

Jun 26, 2006, 12:14:10 AM6/26/06
jim beam wrote:
> ran...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> I just got the codes read: Speed sensor & both oxygen sensors. That
>> doesn't really help *me* at all. Like I said, I already tried replacing
>> the speed sensor, and the oxygen sensors wouldn't seem to have anything
>> to do with the symptoms I described.
>
> so what are the codes? i mean the readout numbers, not what you've been
> told they are.

itll be interesting to know, but... i remember we had a poster here with
the same problem. and i had it too. wasnt there a TSB on the engine
wiring harness under the intake manifold?

RS...@hotmail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 1:01:10 PM6/26/06
FWIW I had the exact same symptoms with my '96 Civic.

It also turned out to be the wiring harness shorting out somewhere
under the intake manifold.

ran...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 2:01:35 PM6/26/06
Thanks for all the great input! SoCalMike, I found a TSB that sorta
fits the symptoms:
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Service%20Bulletin/x99-029e.pdf
I just followed the TSB and tore into it, but couldn't find any damaged
wires. I guess I'll have to keep looking, especially after the reply
below.
Thanks again!

pars

Jul 4, 2006, 1:02:34 AM7/4/06
Have you done the ignition switch replacement? It's a recall job and
shouldn't cost anything.

Pars