90 Accord EX: Problem getting key out of ignition???

Gordon McGrew

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

Next time note the indicator for your automatic transmission. You will probably
see that it doesn't indicate that the transmission is in Park. This is because
the little spring-loaded switch in your shifter console is sticky and doesn't
pop into position when it is cold. A dohicky in the ignition switch won't
release the key until the indicator is in P. You may also find it is impossible
to shift out of P until the switch clicks in.

Try jiggling the shifter. Some people have had luck just cleaning the switch
while others have had to replace it. I haven't heard of anyone getting
permanently stuck with this. It's just a matter of time (and temperature)
before the thing unsticks. In the meantime, keep the engine running to heat up
the cabin.

On 17 Nov 1999 03:49:28 GMT, BOb...@aol.com (Robert Prall) wrote:

>I don't know if anyone else has this problem with any kind of car, but I
>can't seem to get my key out of the ignition! I have a 1990 Accord EX and
>it has a good amount of miles on it. Over 190,000 but it has a new engine.
>But I don't know if the ignition chamber is worn out or what.
>
>Anyway, this problem usually happens in the morning or when it's really
>cold outside and the car hasn't been running. I'll get in the car, start
>it with almost no problem. I might warm it up for a little, and then drive
>to work. It takes me about 5 minutes to get to work. Once I get there, I
>can't take my key out of the ignition. I have to jiggle it around and keep
>trying until it just comes out find.
>
>But here's the problem in detail. Once I cut the engine, I turn the key
>counter-clockwise to turn off everything including the radio and lights.
>But I can't seem to get it anywhere after that. So it stays in the first
>position only allowing the radio to play. But everything else is off. I
>can't get it past that first position to take out the key. I push the key
>in and try to turn, but it won't turn to get out.
>
>Now, I don't know if the pieces are worn out or just too cold or what. I
>was hoping that someone in here would have an idea of what this problem
>could be.
>
>I plan on taking my car into the dealership soon and try to explain it to
>them. Hopefully they can fix it. I can't afford a new car yet. My job
>doesn't pay squat!
>
>So if you can help me out and if you know anything about my car problem,
>please reply or e-mail me and let me know what you think it is. Thanks a
>lot! I appreciate it!

Robert Prall

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <WTIyOOMDHJiRGk...@4ax.com>,
gRmEcM...@mindspring.com (Gordon McGrew) wrote:

>Next time note the indicator for your automatic transmission. You will
probably
>see that it doesn't indicate that the transmission is in Park. This is
because
>the little spring-loaded switch in your shifter console is sticky and doesn't
>pop into position when it is cold. A dohicky in the ignition switch won't
>release the key until the indicator is in P. You may also find it is
impossible
>to shift out of P until the switch clicks in.

Yeah, next time I have a problem with the key, i'll check the transmission
indicator. I never really noticed it before, but hopefully this is something
i can figure out.

>Try jiggling the shifter. Some people have had luck just cleaning the switch
>while others have had to replace it. I haven't heard of anyone getting
>permanently stuck with this. It's just a matter of time (and temperature)
>before the thing unsticks. In the meantime, keep the engine running to heat
up
>the cabin.

Yeah, usually I shift the keys or try to turn the wheel or something. The
last time I took it into the shop, they cleaned out the switch and put some
oil in it or something to make it slick. I haven't had it get permanently
stuck, but it sucks regardless. It is just a matter of time. But i'm starting
to get sick and tired of having to work the key out. I try to warm up my car
in the morning before I go off to work, but it still doesn't really matter,
especially when it's cold outside.

But I appreciate your input! Hopefully I can figure out this problem and fix
it so I don't have to deal with it. Thanks a lot!
</XMP>

Gordon McGrew

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
On 17 Nov 1999 17:38:58 GMT, BOb...@aol.com (Robert Prall) wrote:

>Yeah, usually I shift the keys or try to turn the wheel or something. The
>last time I took it into the shop, they cleaned out the switch and put some
>oil in it or something to make it slick. I haven't had it get permanently
>stuck, but it sucks regardless. It is just a matter of time. But i'm starting
>to get sick and tired of having to work the key out. I try to warm up my car
>in the morning before I go off to work, but it still doesn't really matter,
>especially when it's cold outside.

When you say they cleaned the switch, I assume you mean the ignition key switch.
Just to clarify, that is not the culprit. You need to fix the switch in the
transmission shifter console.

Robert Prall

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <vEIzOP6vuXxUn6...@4ax.com>,
gRmEcM...@mindspring.com (Gordon McGrew) wrote:

Yeah, I kind of had a problem with it today. I noticed that I couldn't get
the shifter to move sometimes. I would put it in park and then not be able
to move it to drive for some reason.

I had this problem one time a long time ago, but it was because I forgot
to do something. Maybe turn the engine on or put the hand brake down or
something.

But I did see that the "P" light didn't come on when I went from Drive to
Park. So you're right about that. But since I made an effort to look at
it, i'm now having problems with moving the shifter. Maybe it's because
i'm now noticing it, but I guess I'll mention that it's probably the
transmission that's messed up.

Do you know of what I could do to fix this??

If you have any other ideas, i'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot for your help!

rm

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
BOb...@aol.com (Robert Prall) wrote:

remember that the shift-lock has two switches and two solenoids.

the two switches are the shift position switch in the console (that
also feeds the indicator on the dash), the other switch is the brake
pedal switch.....

the two solenoids are the one for the igntion switch and the one for
the shifter. The key solenoid will not release if the shifter is in
anything but park. the shifter solenoid will not release if the brake
pedal switch is not closed.

If the shifter is hard to move when the key is pushed into the 'shift
lock release' slot, the shifter cable is bad.

the shift position switch in the console is succeptible to the 'pepsi
syndrome' from spilled beverages....so is the shift lock solenoid and
mechanism....

martin

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
I too am having problems with this irritating glitch. However, I drive a 90 Acura Integra LS. Probably the same parts used in both vehicles. I think RM has the correct fix. I am going to try cleaning, or replacing, the "shift position switch" in the center console. Coincidentally, today at work I met up with a co-worker struggling to get his key out of his ignition switch. Guess what he was driving? Right a 1990 Honda Accord! Small world, many problems.  Thanks,  Randy.

Susan Heigl

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Fix: I believe the key inter-lock does not want to let go of your key in
cold days when you put your car in park. If disconnecting the negative
battery cable you still can't get the keys out then the key interlock is
dead. You'll have to replace the whole key lock assembly to fix it because
they don't sell that one piece. If you can't get the car out of park then
the ignition switch, the brake switch or the shift solenoid is bad. All you
can do is pound on the areas that you think is bad and if it works again
then you know what's dead. To save money I would remove the ignition switch
and solenoid from behind the Key Lock Assmb. and clean and readjust as
necessary so I may get the keys out easily and prevent any future problems.

These are (quick fix) minor problem compared to diagnosing emisions related
problems. Because one guy said he would sell his car to buy a new one
because of this.

RM has described the whole diagram of how system interlock for shift and key
work. It's a matter of solving the puzzel.

-Susan

"martin" <mar...@qnet.com> wrote in message