Blend door problem, clicking sound, no heat

Steve Murray

Nov 8, 2001, 10:24:03 PM11/8/01
Before you spend $1000+ replacing the plenum assembly on your ford,
(Ford TSB 99-08-08) please verify that the problem is not simply the
actuator.

My 1997 Eddie Bauer with EATC just failed with a 'clicking noise'. I
contacted the dealer and was told that the blend door was broken, and
it would cost in excess of $800 (a low estimate from what I have read
here) to fix. They said that they needed to replace the hole plenum
(<$200)and 12 hrs labor due to remove / replace dash, etc.

I researched and found that the electric actutor was not rotating.
BROKEN GEARS INSIDE. Actuator sits on top of the plenum, with and
electical connection. You can see if if you drop the glove box door
down (tabs on side of door).

There is a drive which is visible on top (round with a square hole in
middle. Look with a mirror to see if the drive rotates. Mind DID
NOT!!!.

I removed the actuator. There are 3 hex head screws, two in front,
one in rear, tight but do-able. Lift the unit by prying up with a
screwdriver or similar, it will easily slide out toward the front.

I opened the unit and found that one of the internal drive gears had 2
lobes sheared off. This is what was causing the 'clicking'.

I got a new actuator from Ford for $60, and replaced it (p/n
F77Z-19E616-BA). I did not even attempt to replace the rear screw as
it is almost impossible to reach.

WORKS FINE!!!!!

Best regards,

Steve Murray

Jeffrey A. Kiebler

Nov 9, 2001, 7:30:31 AM11/9/01
Steve

Thanks for some valuable advice.

I will be looking at the actuator this weekend on my 95 Eddie Bauer. It
sure would be nice to fix the heat for a fraction of the cost.....

Jeff

Greg

Nov 11, 2001, 2:31:21 PM11/11/01
Excellent instructional on checking the actuator. I had received a copy of
the TSB that you referred to and attempted to verify that it just wasn't the
actuator.I had a blend door failure and wanted to check the actuator and I
believe I had 2 of the three screws out but I couldn't see the other one,
and I didn't want to make the situation any worse. Mine never clicked and
after having Ford do that expensive labor work to replace the assembly I
retained that box and the square socket that the actuator plugs into was
broken apart. (I took a couple digital images of the socket) Good write up
I'm sure it will help those with just the actuator problems in
troubleshooting...

Greg

"Steve Murray" <srmur...@att.net> wrote in message

J kool

Jan 26, 2022, 5:27:37 PM1/26/22
Does the blend door stay in place with actuator removed