02 Sebring Electrical Problem Revisited

Bill

Mar 31, 2006, 4:06:39 PM3/31/06
First off, thanks to all those who gave helpful advice on this problem
several months ago. Briefly, the car would exhibit total electrical
failure at unpredictable intervals (see original post link below.) The
dealer had the car for 2 weeks and found nothing.
I finally decided to grab my coffee and wrenches and dig into it.
Battery/cables fine. When I got up to the underhood cables (where you
jump the car) everything looked fine. I decided to take them apart
anyway. Hot cable was good & clean. Upon taking off the ground (which
was on tightly and clean) I found the engine ground cable under it,
held on with its own nut. With the batter cable mounted, this is nut
is hidden from view. This connection was loose, and the ternimal end
of the cable showed signs of arcing. I cleaned it, tightened
everything and, hopefully, have solved this irritating problem.
Bottom line: If you think your Chrysler dealer (at least mine) is going
to do anything on an extended, Chrysler warranty, think again. I
remember calling the service advisor and tactfully asking if they had
at least checked all of the grounds. "You bet, buddy" (!) Obviously,
they hadn't (or if they did, they left it dirty and forgot to tighten
it.
Thanks again & here's hoping.
Bill.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/browse_thread/thread/8e16b37492c9230e/794d2eceed518cc3?q=wfbowen&rnum=1#794d2eceed518cc3