1999 Intrepid 3.2L Transmission Speed Sensor

Greg Houston

Jun 2, 2007, 3:29:07 PM6/2/07
Well, it finally happened to me too. Backed out of the driveway, put it
in 1st gear to coast down hill, went 40 feet, and the transmission went
into second. When I put the transmission into D, it stayed in 2nd
gear. I soon gave up and returned home. I did stop and shut everything
off and got the same response. Just before I made it home, the Check
Engine light finally came on. (Wonder why it took so long?)

The speedometer remained at 0, so it looks like an Output sensor is
bad. For the record, the codes returned were P1684 and P0700.

I might as well replace both input and output sensors while I am at it.

Some questions:
I'm finding multiple Chrysler part numbers depending on the year. Is
this because of improvements to the same sensor, or are the sensors
model year specific?

Are sensors from NAPA/Autozone/etc. as good as the official Chrysler
part number?

If I don't put the car on a lift, is there any hope at getting at the
sensors from below?

Thanks!

Greg Houston

Jun 2, 2007, 11:37:42 PM6/2/07
Greg Houston wrote:

> Some questions:
> I'm finding multiple Chrysler part numbers depending on the year. Is
> this because of improvements to the same sensor, or are the sensors
> model year specific?
>
> Are sensors from NAPA/Autozone/etc. as good as the official Chrysler
> part number?

I just ordered Mopar Parts # 4800879 (Output) and 4800878 (Input). Based
on posts here (thanks Bill and others), it looks like I will need a 1" deep
socket. (That will be the first non-metric tool I've ever used on the car
:)

Bill Putney

Jun 3, 2007, 9:19:53 AM6/3/07

You're welcome, Greg.

You might find that an open end wrench from below or from the side will
work better on one sensor or the other depending on what other stuff
(harnesses, pipes, etc.) may be partly in the way of a direct shot with
an extrension and socket.

Jack the left front up (use jack stands of course), and access from
lying on the ground. The sensor bodies are plastic, so just lightly
snug them up - an o-ring seals them to the tranny case (i.e., sealing is
not dependent on torque).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Greg Houston

Jun 3, 2007, 3:01:02 PM6/3/07
Bill Putney wrote:

Sounds good. Did any fluid come out when you removed the old sensor? My driveway
is sloped so I'll probably limp to a shop where I can raise the car and work on
it.

Bill Putney

Jun 3, 2007, 3:27:40 PM6/3/07
Greg Houston wrote:

> ...Did any fluid come out when you removed the old sensor?...

No - none at all.

Greg Houston

Jun 6, 2007, 9:00:37 PM6/6/07

One more question, do you remember if OEM sensors have any markings on
them identifying them as Chrysler parts? I purchased two sensors which
are allegedly Mopar parts but they don't have any markings or numbers on
them. Most OEM parts that I've seen have at least the Chrysler symbol
and usually the actual part number. At least it doesn't say "Made in
China." :)

Of course maybe it is better if they *aren't* the Chrysler parts, but
that's another issue :)

Bill Putney

Jun 6, 2007, 9:16:41 PM6/6/07
Greg Houston wrote:

> One more question, do you remember if OEM sensors have any markings on
> them identifying them as Chrysler parts? I purchased two sensors which
> are allegedly Mopar parts but they don't have any markings or numbers on
> them. Most OEM parts that I've seen have at least the Chrysler symbol
> and usually the actual part number. At least it doesn't say "Made in
> China." :)
>
> Of course maybe it is better if they *aren't* the Chrysler parts, but
> that's another issue :)

Not sure, Greg. When I've bought them from the dealer, they are in
sealed plastic bags with the part numbers, etc. on the *bag*. I don't
recall if the sensors themselves had part numbers on them.

As far as OEM vs. aftermarket being better, it's anybody's guess on a
given part. Many parts these days come from the same manufacturer
whether going into the OEM or aftermarket system (but then again,
sometimes parts that are slightly outside the OEM spec. on the
production line often get shuttled over to the aftermarket suppliers).
It may also be that both aftermarket and OEM replacements have been
redesigned so as not to fail as often. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. :)