94 LHS recall

1 view

Ken

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Chrysler has recalled this car to install a bracket as a repair to a tie rod
problem. Does anyone know how good this repair is? For instance:

Does the repair augment the strength of the offending part, now known to
suffer metal fatigue?
Does the repair only prevent the loss of power from the separation of the
drive?

Thanks

Jacques Labonte

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
If you are talking about recall 837 it's not a reinforcement for tie rods but to
install a bracket over the existing engine craddle where the lower control arms
are fixed. It double the strenght at this point. If you own a 93-94 and first
production 95 LH platform car, get it fixed. It's totally free regardless of the
number of owners and the milleage of the car. Just contact a Chrysler dealer if
you have not received a registered letter to that effect.

Stefan Schader

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:46:36 GMT, "Ken" <noad...@none.com> wrote:

>Chrysler has recalled this car to install a bracket as a repair to a tie rod
>problem. Does anyone know how good this repair is? For instance:
>
>Does the repair augment the strength of the offending part, now known to
>suffer metal fatigue?
>Does the repair only prevent the loss of power from the separation of the
>drive?
>
>Thanks

As far as I can see on my '94 Concorde, it strengthens the offending
part.

Art Begun

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Apparently its not the easiest job in the world.
My dealer had to postpone doing it because they
ran out of usable drill bits to make the holes.

"Jacques Labonte" <jlab...@cooptel.qc.ca> wrote in message

> If you are talking about recall 837 it's not a reinforcement for tie rods
but to
> install a bracket over the existing engine craddle where the lower control
arms
> are fixed. It double the strenght at this point. If you own a 93-94 and
first
> production 95 LH platform car, get it fixed. It's totally free regardless
of the
> number of owners and the milleage of the car. Just contact a Chrysler
dealer if
> you have not received a registered letter to that effect.

SKB

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
As of Friday the bits were still on back-order, with a supplier commitment
of a bunch soon...the one's I have received have come in slow..
Art Begun <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Shannon

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
The repair is a reinforcement bracket to strengthen the area of possible
fatigue. We at our dealership have never seen anything wrong with these
things, but apparently if you thrash the car hard enough those mounts can
crack.
And yes, the recall is a pain in the ass. It takes a special adapter tool
and cutter bit. The cutter bits are supposed to be good for about 8 cars,
but in reality, they are good for about 4. The adapter tool comes from
Miller Special Tools, and is on national backorder. The cutter bits come
from Chrysler and are on national backorder.
Chrysler sent the dealers a 4 page letter on how not to break the cutter
bits and how not to damage the adapter tool. This letter also stated that
dealers will have to pay for the adapter tools. Nice, huh?
The techs at my dealership say that the repair is not difficult, but they
have to be really careful with these stupid cutter bits. All of the air
tools they have are too high in torque for these bits. And none of the
techs want to go out and buy a low torque air ratchet.
Anyway, just thought I would pass along what I know about this recall.

"Stefan Schader " <elbeN...@home.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:46:36 GMT, "Ken" <noad...@none.com> wrote:
>
> >Chrysler has recalled this car to install a bracket as a repair to a tie
rod
> >problem. Does anyone know how good this repair is? For instance:
> >
> >Does the repair augment the strength of the offending part, now known to
> >suffer metal fatigue?
> >Does the repair only prevent the loss of power from the separation of the
> >drive?
> >
> >Thanks

Art Begun

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
It seems to me that the manufacturers
are treating the dealership service
departments pretty badly and that
in the early 90's the dealerships
were treated better by the manufacturers
and that is why the customers were getting
improved service from the dealers when it
came to warrenty work. Am I correct about
that or were things always this bad?

Art Begun

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
You would think that the dealerships would
form some type of association and fight
back. With the internet and all, there is
nothing stopping them from organizing
provided they don't talk price fixing.
Challenging the book time for warrenty
repairs would be an obvious first step
for such an organization.

"R. Urbanov" <rurb...@tds.net> wrote in message

> oh, man they are getting worse! we have so many stinking recalls coming
> out now it is sick. here is the worst one:
>
> recall #835 front coil spring retainer towers
>
> this is for all 1994 through 1995 1/2 year full size 2wd &4wd trucks.
>
> we are to inspect the spring retainer bracket at the top of the spring
> where it rests in a retainer that is welded on the frame rail. the
> reatiner is prone to cracking & breaking off causing the frontend to
> drop. when this happens, a brake line for the rear brakes is torn/cut
> open causing the rear brakes to fail.
>
> at the least, we are to remove both coil springs and install (weld) an
> overlay re-enforcement to the factory bracket. ( this pays only 2 hours
> and we expect to take 3.5 hours. so the tech and the shop work for FREE
> for 1.5 hours. )
>
> worst case :
> remove coil springs
> remove battery
> remove turbo intercooler (between radiator and condesor)
> cut off old brackets and install (weld) new ones.
> this pays only 7 hours. we expect it to take 13 hours.
>

> we have tons or computer reprograming recalls all the time. mainly for
> emmissions or driveablity concerns. this pays only .5 hours.
> a main shop pc type computer is used along with a hand held scan tool.
> the problem is the scan tool also has to be "updated" software wise all
> the time. if someone has to do a reprogram and also update that scan
> tool, the 30 minutes it take to update the scan tool is again, FREE.
> chrysler doesn't pay crap on all these recalls & reprogramming vehicle
> software. the more vehicles affected on a given recall, the lower the
> labor time is allowed meaning the less chrysler is going to pay.
>
> we are constantly being ripped off by chrysler with their chicken s**t
> time allotments. i would once like to see the sobs at headquartes do the
> same repair we do in the time that they say it takes.
>
> like someone said here last week:
>
> chrysler is a good example of poor engineering due to drinking too much
> in college!

R. Urbanov

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
i get a new cutting bit every time i have to do one of these recalls. i
don't care who pays for it. they aren't going to pay me for a new $350
air ratchet when the ratchet head break doing these f-ing recals.

AMC:
Ain't
My
Car

R. Urbanov

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

Turbo man

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Had my '94 Newyorker done three weeks ago, only took an hour.Why
complain about recalls, at list DC is doing them, not like GM who
does it after three days of telling you they don't have problem.

Jacques Labonte

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Did you know that the list price for that cutter bit is $125.00 Can. Wonder why
mecanics hate to do the recall? (Chrysler paid for 1/8 that price for each car
then later revised it to 1/4 per car). If you make 3 cars with one bit the
dealership loose 1/4 of $125.00 if you can make 5 the dealership makes 1/4
more..

Jacques Labonte

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
When Chrysler merged with Daimler, a lot of faucets where shut down