Night driving and glare

gib

Nov 1, 2004, 12:20:47 AM11/1/04

Can anyone recommend glasses that reduce glare while driving at night?
My vision is fine, I did have lasik done to my eyes which might have
worsened the glare slightly although I've always had a problem with
glare as far as I can remember. I've heard yellow tinted glasses might
help, but is there anything specifically made to reduce glare for
night driving?

Thank you,

Gib

Brian Barnson

Nov 1, 2004, 10:47:09 AM11/1/04

"gib" <gibc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

http://www.essilor.com.sg/Consumer/Products/Crizal/crizal.htm

Works for me.
Brian, in Cedar

Daniel J. Stern

Nov 1, 2004, 9:52:41 AM11/1/04
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, gib wrote:

> Can anyone recommend glasses that reduce glare while driving at night?

I first posted this in 11/01:

http://tinyurl.com/4t5qa

I still have the glasses referred thereinto, and they still do a terrific
job of cutting glare at night and in rain/fog/snow.

(For the geekier amongst us: They also do a great practical job of showing
that yellow (i.e., white minus blue) light is better in bad weather *NOT*
because it "penetrates fog" or any such thing, but because blue light
foozles human vision.)

223rem

Nov 1, 2004, 11:33:48 AM11/1/04

Would the 'gold' colored lenses in these Oakleys be good?
Thanks

http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/half_jacket/

Nate Nagel

Nov 1, 2004, 12:30:16 PM11/1/04
gib wrote:

If you drive an older car, look into having your windshield replaced or
polished. The ultra-fine scratches that your wipers leave on the
windshield really contribute to glare, more than you'd think. Also
clean the inside of your windshield regularly, the "haze" that builds up
inside there (even if you don't smoke, the vinyls inside the car
"outgas" and deposit a film) doesn't help.

That said, if you do the above and still have a problem, I've heard good
things about yellow-tinted lenses akin to shooting glasses. Reason this
works is that the yellow tint tends to block the blue frequencies which
are a major contributor to glare. Also might want to see if you can get
polarized lenses without tint or with a slight yellow tint, polarization
really helps cut glare without hurting visibility. Note that a lot of
automotive window tints have some polarizing effect, if you have
aftermarket tinted windows some strange effects may occur (noticed this
while driving a company car on the way home from picking up my newest
pair of sunglasses - I hadn't had a good pair of sunglasses in a while
as I have this thing about contact lenses, and the vehicle had some dark
tint as it had lived its former life in Florida. Much weirdness the
first time I looked out the side windows...)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

223rem

Nov 1, 2004, 12:51:38 PM11/1/04
Nate Nagel wrote:
> gib wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend glasses that reduce glare while driving at night?
>> My vision is fine, I did have lasik done to my eyes which might have
>> worsened the glare slightly although I've always had a problem with
>> glare as far as I can remember. I've heard yellow tinted glasses might
>> help, but is there anything specifically made to reduce glare for
>> night driving?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Gib
>

> If you drive an older car, look into having your windshield replaced or
> polished. The ultra-fine scratches that your wipers leave on the
> windshield really contribute to glare, more than you'd think. Also
> clean the inside of your windshield regularly, the "haze" that builds up
> inside there (even if you don't smoke, the vinyls inside the car
> "outgas" and deposit a film) doesn't help.
>
> That said, if you do the above and still have a problem, I've heard good
> things about yellow-tinted lenses akin to shooting glasses. Reason this
> works is that the yellow tint tends to block the blue frequencies which
> are a major contributor to glare. Also might want to see if you can get
> polarized lenses without tint or with a slight yellow tint, polarization
> really helps cut glare without hurting visibility.

A polarizer (and I assume that polarizing sunglasses have
only one polarizer per lens, not two orthogonal polarizers, which
would block almost all ligth) cuts glare only if the offending light is
polarized, and also polarized in the direction of the polarizer.

Light generated by bulbs or direct sunlight is not polarized.
Sunlight gets polarized (not completely, of course) upon refelection
on surfaces like car hoods--the reflected light is polarized in a plane
parallel to the surface on which it was reflected. I believe that
since most reflecting surfaces are horizontal, it makes sense for the
sunglass lenses to be vertical polarizers.

So anyway, polarizing sunglasses are not good at night for glare generated
by headlights.

Daniel J. Stern

Nov 1, 2004, 12:27:37 PM11/1/04
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, 223rem wrote:

> Would the 'gold' colored lenses in these Oakleys be good?

> http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/half_jacket/

They're not something I would use, no -- far too much absolute reduction
in light reaching the eye.

From a thread last month:

From: Daniel J. Stern <das...@127.0.0.1>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:17:07 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.misc, rec.autos.driving, rec.aviation
Subject: Re: Generic Serengeti Driver sunglasses? (Bring in the Clones?)

Your eye does not know whose name is on your lenses. Your eye also does
not know how any given spectral gamut is achieved. It's the lens' spectral
transmissivity characteristics, not how those characteristics are
attained, that you liked about your Serengettis. The chief trait of these
lenses is that they strongly attenuate the blue wavelengths so they don't
reach your eye. When you look at a white light through this type of lens,
the light will appear yellow, selective yellow or amber.

While cutting the blue and violet out of the spectrum has been shown to
give some contrast-enhancement and glare-reduction effects during
nighttime tasks under mesopic conditions (e.g., driving at night), it's
very easy to overdo it, at which point the safety benefits of the reduced
glare and enhanced contrast are overbalanced by the safety hazard caused
by the absolute reduction in light reaching your eyes. IOW, it doesn't
matter if his red shirt looks redder if you don't see him in the first
place!

To help avoid an overly large absolute reduction in light, the lenses
should be more towards selective yellow, and should NOT appear notably
brown, orange and/or amber (which would indicate excessive attenuation of
greens and yellows, which are of prime importance for human vision while
driving at night).

I had my night-driving spectacles made to my own specifications. An outfit
known as "Calichrome" makes the correct-hue yellow dye. I picked a large,
sturdy, inexpensive plastic frameset by Rodenstock(!), so as to handle as
much of my peripheral vision as possible. Since I'm nearsighted, and
nearsightedness tends to increase with fatigue *and* with dark, I had the
lenses ground 1/4 diopter stronger than my normal glasses and my
sunglasses. The lenses were then put through the Calichrome dye process to
the correct-depth selective-yellow tint. I love them; they're perfect.

Your franchised "one hour glasses" type place probably won't know what the
hell you're talking about and won't grind lenses to any but the
prescription you hand them (those glasses-in-a-hurry places can't be
relied on to adhere strictly to a prescription anyway...) so you'll have
to patronize a good, competent independent optician. I had my current set
made in Michigan when I lived there.

An excellent guide for the hue and tint is a "K2" type camera lens filter,
available at any photo supply store.

DS

Sportster4Eva

Nov 1, 2004, 2:37:47 PM11/1/04