Improve FM reception: any boosters or better antennas to use?

eljainc

Oct 15, 2007, 11:23:21 AM10/15/07
Hello,

I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR receiver. I put it down in my
basement. The FM reception is very poor, even with the included FM
antenna. I tried to move it around to different positions to see how
it affects reception. I noticed that if I held the antenna it seemed
to work a little better. Once I let go the reception was poor again.

What FM antenna boosters are available (for a reasonably price, under
say $25) will allow me to get better FM stereo reception?

Thanks

Mike McWhinney

Don Pearce

Oct 15, 2007, 11:45:30 AM10/15/07
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:23:21 -0000, eljainc <elj...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

None. You need to get the antenna where it can find a signal. That is
NOT in a basement. Get a long chunk of coax and put the antenna where
it belongs on the roof.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Richard Crowley

Oct 15, 2007, 12:00:01 PM10/15/07
"eljainc" wrote ...

No booster will do as well as the antenna you already have
(or some other appropriate antenna) placed somewhere
ABOVE the ground where the radio waves are. A booster
can only "boost" what is already there.

There are several different kinds of FM antennas. You could
try simply running a piece of wire from the receiver up into the
ground floor somewhere. Or you could use a "folded dipole"
which is a "T-shape" made out of 300-ohm twin-lead. Most
of us just tape or pin the folded dipole to an external wall, etc.
Or some kind of FM antenna in your attic or on the roof.

If it seems inconvienent to put the antenna above ground, then
an alternative is placing the whole receiver above ground and
running the audio into your basement.

Roadie

Oct 15, 2007, 12:14:17 PM10/15/07
On Oct 15, 11:23 am, eljainc <elja...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR receiver. I put it down in my
> basement. The FM reception is very poor, even with the included FM
> antenna. I tried to move it around to different positions to see how
> it affects reception. I noticed that if I held the antenna it seemed
> to work a little better. Once I let go the reception was poor again.

Check with your local Radio Shack for an outside FM antenna and just
run the wire through the wall. Or, mount a simple dipole antenna in a
ground level or above room and run wire down to the basement.

RHF

Oct 15, 2007, 12:19:30 PM10/15/07
= = = On Oct 15, 8:23 am, eljainc <elja...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
- Hello,
-
- I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR receiver. I put it down in
my
- basement. The FM reception is very poor, even with the included FM
- antenna. I tried to move it around to different positions to see how
- it affects reception. I noticed that if I held the antenna it seemed
- to work a little better. Once I let go the reception was poor again.
-
- What FM antenna boosters are available (for a reasonably price,
under
- say $25) will allow me to get better FM stereo reception?
-
- Thanks
-
- Mike McWhinney

M McW,

IMHO - Forget Boosters until you first have a good strong
and clean FM Signal from an Antenna.

The simplist and best way of Improving FM Radio Reception
is to place an external FM Antenna on the Roof with a Coax
Cable feed-in-line to the Basement; should give you a strong
clean FM Stereo Signal with out the need for a Booster.
.
FM "Omni-Directional" Antenna
ANTENNACRAFT Part Number: FMSS
http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=6056 .
http://www.summitsource.com/popup_image.php?pID=6056&image=0&osCsid=0fbd2fb288d2c656cf70eebb10d9c400
.
http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=6425 .
http://www.summitsource.com/popup_image.php?pID=6425&image=0 .
http://www.tvantenna.com/products/commercial/fmreception/BTY-2-FM.html

For a simple and effective 'indoor' FM Antenna check-out
the C Crane FM Reflect Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/0143.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-antennas/fm-reflect-antenna.aspx

The "Fanfare" FM Antenna is pricy but effective.
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-antennas/fanfare-fm-antenna.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73503
-also- the Magnum Dynalab "ST-2" FM Antenna
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm
.
Magnum Dynalab -good set of - FM Antenna FAQ's
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/faq.htm
.
FM Reception Guide
http://www.nhpr.org/node/9546
http://www.vpr.net/help_center/guide_to_good_reception/
http://www.amfmreception.com/fm-radio/fm-reception-guide
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/analogueradio/fm_reception.shtml
http://www.fln.org/index.php?Itemid=59&id=34&option=com_content&task=view
.
A Guide to FM Reception
http://www.wgbh.org/cainan/article?item_id=1361008
-by- C. Victor Campos and William Busiek
-edited by- John Voci
.
How To - Improve Your FM Radio Reception
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/8585/recieve.html
The DXer's Tool Box - CopyRight © Chris Ridley
.
FM Radio Reception Tips
http://www.wnku.org/page_wnku.asp?p=0530000
-from- WFLN/Philadelphia
http://www.ccrane.com/library/fm-reception.11.12.01.aspx
.
.
- iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \