Protools - Easier Spot Delay

Frank Stearns

Jan 30, 2012, 9:01:28 PM1/30/12
Following up on the recent thread about spot delays...

I'd love to see the three delay plugins in PT use the mindless and tireless
calculation ability of computers.

Currently, the short, medium, and long delay plug-ins all set their values in
samples.

How about adding a drop-down selection field to the plug-in dialog boxes, where you
can set the delay as a value expressed in one of these:

Feet/Inches
Meters/Centimeters
Milliseconds
Samples

The "short" delay plug-in might offer only "inches" and "centimeters", while the
longer ones accept "Feet" and "Meters". All accept decimal fractions of the selected
types. Behind the scenes, the plug-in converts the value to the nearest sample so
that none of the underlying code needs to change, it's just an enhancement to the
UI.

If you really want to get fancy, add another field where one can change the default
speed of sound (which is needed, of course, for calculating delays expressed in
distance or time).

Yes, I have suggested this to the echo-chamber that is Avid's suggestion forum. And
yes, I can do this myself but jeez, such a simple convenience to include!

Maybe someone here has a more direct line into Avid; or, if enough angry villagers
are milling around outside the castle carrying torches something might get done...
<w>

And I'd be curious if any of the other DAWs already have something like this...

Frank
Mobile Audio
--
.