AMS-NEVE 1073

Gaffpro

Dec 11, 2003, 12:58:51 PM12/11/03
After trying the Great River ME-1NV, Vinteck X73,etc. I've decided to
save up and get the real thing. Has anyone bought this reissue yet?

Thanks

Mark Thies

Dec 11, 2003, 10:58:02 PM12/11/03
I haven't tried this pre.But you should check out the Chandler
LTD-1.Supposedly these guys have nailed the 1073 reissue groove.

Gaffpro

Dec 14, 2003, 5:34:30 AM12/14/03
Thanks, but I'm really interested at this point in getting the real
thing. Has anyone bought one yet and can it be had for less than $3500
a channel?

Thanks

Mike Caffrey

Dec 15, 2003, 3:11:13 AM12/15/03
In article <9748fb84.03121...@posting.google.com>,
Gaf...@aol.com (Gaffpro) wrote:

The real thing is no longer made. The AMS is a ressue. AMS owns the Neve
brand name. I've never head eiher of those uints, but don't be foold by
the name. The parts aren't the same as the originals.

I'd ask people who've heard both. It seems like someone has already
recommened the Chandler...

Geoff Tanner

Dec 16, 2003, 8:38:13 PM12/16/03
Mike Caffrey <mi...@mikecaffrey.com> wrote in message news:<mike-11FCAC.0...@reader2.panix.com>...

Hi

With respect I don't know what grounds you have to make those
statements.

I am still in contact with friends at AMS-Neve who worked for the
original Neve company and AMS-Neve is more than a brand name... it
incorporates original Neve engineers.

I have two of the new AMS-Neve 1073's with me here because I am rack
mounting them. They look fine to me.. except for the zinc plate
instead of nickel plate for the side covers... this is hardly an audio
issue!

I really cannot accept the "The parts aren't the same as the
originals" comment because I also know that the output transformer in
this model is NOT the same as the one in the clones, including the
Chandler model, because when Neve tested that version it did not meet
their specifications.

So, IMHO, if you want a 1073 that sounds exactly like a 1073, go for
the AMS-Neve version.

I worked for Neve from Oct 1971 to Dec 1985. John Turner, Head of Test
Department, was there when I joined and he's still there now. I would
trust his judgement as to what a 1073 should be made from and sound
like more than an outside individual/cloner.

Just my 2c

:o)

Geoff Tanner
www.auroraaudio.net

Mike Caffrey

Dec 17, 2003, 5:17:43 AM12/17/03
In article <1ce0833a.03121...@posting.google.com>, Geoff
Tanner <Phoeni...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I'm not saying that the Chandler is better or is a more accurate
representation of what you'd have gotten 30 years ago. I'm saying that
things change in 30 years and it's impossible to make them exactly the
same. I'm objecting to "real thing." Maybe it's so close no one can
tell, but it's not exact and the way to get the best thing is still the
same which is to shop with your ears and ask for seek opinions when you
can't.

Geoff Tanner

Dec 17, 2003, 2:37:01 PM12/17/03
Mike Caffrey <mi...@mikecaffrey.com> wrote in message news:<171220030517435144%mi...@mikecaffrey.com>...
<snippety>
> > > The real thing is no longer made. The AMS is a ressue. AMS owns the Neve
> > > brand name. I've never head eiher of those uints, but don't be foold by
> > > the name. The parts aren't the same as the originals.
> > >
> > > I'd ask people who've heard both. It seems like someone has already
> > > recommened the Chandler...
<snippety>

> I'm not saying that the Chandler is better or is a more accurate
> representation of what you'd have gotten 30 years ago. I'm saying that
> things change in 30 years and it's impossible to make them exactly the
> same. I'm objecting to "real thing." Maybe it's so close no one can
> tell, but it's not exact and the way to get the best thing is still the
> same which is to shop with your ears and ask for seek opinions when you
> can't.

Hi again

I don't want to split hairs but there was something about the tone of
your original post and the vagueness of the statements that rather got
up my nose.

AMS-Neve owns the Neve name indeed, but you neglected to mention that
original engineers from the old "Neve" company still work there.

At least you admitted that you had heard neither the AMS-Neve version
or the Chandler but I really don't know what you are inferring by "but
don't be foold by the name" (sic). The "name" is crucial to the
accuracy of an accurate re-issue.

The cloners... Chandler, Brent, Vintech, et al, have only (breaching
copyright) copies from Neve handbooks to build their copies. They do
not have access to the original EM documents that give precise
specifications for the components... and neither do the recent
transformer manufacturers (Carnhill, Sowter, etc) because they simply
did not make the output transformers for the original Neve 1073's...
they only made input transformers in that era.

So, take it from me, with a pair of these modules in my tech shop and
a console full of real 1073s and 1084s to compare them with, that
everywhere where it counts... transformers, semiconductors, capacitors
and inductors... the AMS-Neve product is a darn sight more close to
the "real thing" than any of the clones that are using components that
AMS-Neve, in their wisdom and experience, rejected.

Granted, I am not saying that any of the clones are not worthwhile
purchases and they will all have their characteristic sound that will
most likely appeal to the purchaser, the fact remains that if you want
a very close recreation of the original 1073... there is only one
model fits the bill.

Geoff Tanner
www.auroraaudio.net

Gaffpro

Dec 18, 2003, 2:12:09 AM12/18/03
Geoff:
Thank you very much for responding. I respect your advice - you were
actually there and it's for the very reasons you stated that I want to
go the AMS-Neve route. Hopefully I'll find a reissue for less than
$3500

Thanks again

Bob Vandiver

Dec 19, 2003, 2:28:03 AM12/19/03

Care to mention a web site for AMS-Neve that illustrates these little
wonders?

Bob Vandiver

Luke Kaven

Dec 19, 2003, 4:19:15 AM12/19/03
Bob Vandiver <bo...@hellyeah.com> wrote:

>Care to mention a web site for AMS-Neve that illustrates these little
>wonders?
>
>Bob Vandiver

http://www.ams-neve.com/prod/out.htm

Bob Vandiver

Dec 20, 2003, 2:32:42 AM12/20/03
In article <5kg5uv4b0ranp1e3j...@4ax.com>,
Luke Kaven <lu...@smallsrecords.com> wrote:

Thanks. My problem with that site is the same as I have for many. THey
are awfully coy about pricing information and this site is odd in that
it does not list any dealers. Just corporate outposts.

Anybody know how much the horizontally inclined dual channel 1081 can
set you back? Anybody know if they intend to release a 1073 in this
format?

Thanks,

Bob Vandiver

Higgs

Dec 20, 2003, 5:10:38 AM12/20/03
> Thanks. My problem with that site is the same as I have for many. THey
> are awfully coy about pricing information and this site is odd in that
> it does not list any dealers. Just corporate outposts.
>
> Anybody know how much the horizontally inclined dual channel 1081 can
> set you back? Anybody know if they intend to release a 1073 in this
> format?

http://vintageking.com/newitems.cfm?vendor=84

Tommy B

Dec 20, 2003, 8:51:12 AM12/20/03
I just bought a Vintech X73i.
You can bet your ass I'm gonna be doing an A/B test!
Tom

"Bob Vandiver" <bo...@hellyeah.com> wrote in message

umbriaco

Dec 20, 2003, 10:04:36 AM12/20/03
in article bobv-423FCF.2...@news-central.ash.giganews.com, Bob
Vandiver at bo...@hellyeah.com wrote on 12/20/03 2:32 AM:

> Thanks. My problem with that site is the same as I have for many. THey
> are awfully coy about pricing information and this site is odd in that
> it does not list any dealers. Just corporate outposts.
AMS/Neve does not sell through dealers.
Call the NY or LA office and speak to sales.

> Anybody know how much the horizontally inclined dual channel 1081 can
> set you back?

Around $9K.

> Anybody know if they intend to release a 1073 in this format?

I asked them this at the AES show.
They said they "may" if there was enough demand. I wouldn't hold my breath.
There are lots of 3rd party rack / PSU's available.

david

Dec 21, 2003, 12:04:15 AM12/21/03
In article <BC09CFB3.43A90%umbr...@nyc.rr.com>, umbriaco
<umbr...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> in article bobv-423FCF.2...@news-central.ash.giganews.com, Bob
> Vandiver at bo...@hellyeah.com wrote on 12/20/03 2:32 AM:
> >
> > Thanks. My problem with that site is the same as I have for many. THey
> > are awfully coy about pricing information and this site is odd in that
> > it does not list any dealers. Just corporate outposts.
> AMS/Neve does not sell through dealers.
> Call the NY or LA office and speak to sales.

These guys in Mass. got 'em. I'd bet other dealers have them too:

http://www.soniccircus.com/neve.html

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

Celebrat...@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com

Tommy B

Dec 21, 2003, 6:55:21 AM12/21/03
Well I got the Vintech X73i yesterday, didn't expect it on Sat., I want to
A/B it with a real 1073, and tell if I can hear any difference. Ted Spencer
are you here? LOL!!!
He lives a couple of blocks away from me in NYC.

Tom

"umbriaco" <umbr...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

Ted Spencer

Dec 21, 2003, 11:00:34 AM12/21/03
>Well I got the Vintech X73i yesterday, didn't expect it on Sat., I want to
>A/B it with a real 1073, and tell if I can hear any difference. Ted Spencer
>are you here? LOL!!!
>He lives a couple of blocks away from me in NYC.
>
>Tom

Ah so *you're* the Tom B I know. I got your message yesterday and will try to
get back to you today (Sunday). I'll be happy to set up a 1073/X73i comparo
with you. Should be interesting.

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

Ken Sluiter

Dec 22, 2003, 1:43:54 AM12/22/03
Please post the results of your comparisons.
I've been seriously looking at the X73i.

Thanks,
Ken Sluiter

Gaffpro

Dec 22, 2003, 1:58:22 AM12/22/03
Tommy B:

Please let me know of your findings between the two asap. On the x73i
that you received, do you notice any hiss/noise when turning up the
12k shelving control when tracking? On the one that I'm using, it's
really noticeable.

Ted:
Do you have the 1073 reissue to compare the x73i to? I would love to
hear opinions on how the reissue fares.

Thanks

Fletcher

Dec 22, 2003, 6:58:37 AM12/22/03
"Ted Spencer" <pres...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Well I got the Vintech X73i yesterday, didn't expect it on Sat., I want
> >A/B it with a real 1073, and tell if I can hear any difference. Ted
Spencer
> >are you here? LOL!!!
> >He lives a couple of blocks away from me in NYC.
> >
> >Tom
>
> Ah so *you're* the Tom B I know. I got your message yesterday and will try
> get back to you today (Sunday). I'll be happy to set up a 1073/X73i
comparo
> with you. Should be interesting.
>

> Ted Spencer, NYC

When you do the comparison... in addition to shooting them out side by
side... record 10, 12, 20 tracks of the same information... see how they
work side by side on a cumulative basis. That will be far more telling than
a "side by side" comparison.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Ted Spencer

Dec 22, 2003, 11:13:40 AM12/22/03
>When you do the comparison... in addition to shooting them out side by
>side... record 10, 12, 20 tracks of the same information... see how they
>work side by side on a cumulative basis. That will be far more telling than
>a "side by side" comparison.
>--
>Fletcher

It sounds like you're suggesting simulating a console full of either module,
and I understand the value of that distinction. Consoles, or 16+ channels of a
type do begin to reveal a sonic character that will usually not be evident on a
channel or two.

I don't exactly understand how you're suggesting we do this with only one of
each module type at hand (I've got two 1073s but I think Tom has only one
x73i). It would seem we'd have to record a song of sorts, track by track, with
multiple instruments/voices etc...basically a rather large undertaking, for
testing purposes only. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I don't think
that's going to be practical, ideal though it would be for the purpose you
describe. If that's not what you meant perhaps you could clarify. Thanks.

Ted Spencer

Dec 22, 2003, 11:32:34 AM12/22/03

>Ted:
>Do you have the 1073 reissue to compare the x73i to? I would love to
>hear opinions on how the reissue fares.

It's an original, dead stock Neve module, recapped and repackaged by Brent
Averill, fitted to a single space rack panel, with a 2-module power supply of
Brent's design (the original modules were powered by the console's supply).
I should add however, that strictly speaking, it's a 1099, which is identical
part-for-part to a 1073 except that the line input has only one gain setting
and the 1073 has three, a difference that is immaterial as far as I'm
concerned. 1099s also have the later style, black/blue capped knobs, unlike the
grey/silver metal and red ones on 1073s.

Before buying the units I was repeatedly assured by Brent that they're
absolutely identical inside to 1073s, and include original Marinair
transformers. Geoff Tanner also comfirmed for me on this board that a 1099 is
the same as a 1073 except as I noted above.

Ken Sluiter

Dec 22, 2003, 7:17:40 PM12/22/03
> It sounds like you're suggesting simulating a console full of either module,
> and I understand the value of that distinction. Consoles, or 16+ channels of a
> type do begin to reveal a sonic character that will usually not be evident on a
> channel or two.
>
> I don't exactly understand how you're suggesting we do this with only one of
> each module type at hand (I've got two 1073s but I think Tom has only one
> x73i). It would seem we'd have to record a song of sorts, track by track, with
> multiple instruments/voices etc...basically a rather large undertaking, for
> testing purposes only. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I don't think
> that's going to be practical, ideal though it would be for the purpose you
> describe. If that's not what you meant perhaps you could clarify. Thanks.
>

> Ted Spencer, NYC
>
> "No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
> "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

You could transfer 16+ tracks from a tape machine into Pro Tools or
equivalent in 16 passes synced to TC w/ each unit. The only tricky
thing would be dealing w/ phase coherence on stereo tracks.
Having 2 1073's and 2 X73i would solve that problem.

Fletcher

Dec 23, 2003, 9:25:03 AM12/23/03

> >When you do the comparison... in addition to shooting them out side by
> >side... record 10, 12, 20 tracks of the same information... see how they
> >work side by side on a cumulative basis. That will be far more telling
than
> >a "side by side" comparison.
> >--
> >Fletcher
>
> It sounds like you're suggesting simulating a console full of either
module,
> and I understand the value of that distinction. Consoles, or 16+ channels
of a
> type do begin to reveal a sonic character that will usually not be evident
on a
> channel or two.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm suggesting. The differences between one module
and the other will indeed be noticable... but when you stack up a bunch of
tracks, as you attempt to fit this stuff into an arrangement... the
differences will become more pronounced and it will become far more apparent
which are and which ain't really useful tools for a variety of purposes.

Larry

Jan 4, 2004, 2:46:05 AM1/4/04
pres...@aol.com (Ted Spencer) wrote in message news:<20031221110034...@mb-m04.aol.com>...

> >Well I got the Vintech X73i yesterday, didn't expect it on Sat., I want to
> >A/B it with a real 1073, and tell if I can hear any difference. Ted Spencer
> >are you here? LOL!!!
> >He lives a couple of blocks away from me in NYC.
> >
> >Tom

Get a chance to A/B those two yet?

Tommy B

Jan 4, 2004, 7:50:29 AM1/4/04
No. I shall call Ted today, since the holidays are over.
Tom
"Larry" <larry...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Gaffpro

Jan 6, 2004, 1:54:41 AM1/6/04
Tommy B:
I'm looking forward to the results with Ted.

I just did several vocal tracks ala Michael McDonald to hear the
differences between the X73i and the Great River ME-1NV

The Great River definitely had more top and wasn't as thick in the
lower mids.
I now see what Fletcher meant regarding low end buildup when I played
back 10 background vocal tracks. The Great River didn't have this
issue with alot of vocal tracks playing. I like them both however -
the x73i was great on guitars and bass!

Tommy B

Jan 6, 2004, 7:50:40 AM1/6/04
We are going to A/B these units on Thurs.or Fri.
if all goes as planned. I wonder if a real NEVE would give you that low end
build up, and if rolling off lows would help. I don't think I'd use this pre
for backrounds just lead vocals anyway. We shall see.
Thanks, Tom

"Gaffpro" <Gaf...@aol.com> wrote in message