Sennheiser HD-580 cord

1 view

Todd R

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97
to gte...@prism.gatech.edu

Jay B. Haider wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:33:39 GMT, rod...@aztec.co.za (Rodney Gold)
> wrote:
>
> >I was of the opinion that the HD580 Chords were made of OFC and were
> >Kevlar reinforced - Just *HOW* did you manage to break it ?
>
> Well, actually what's broken (or only working intermittently,
> rather) is the connection between the cable and the left cable-voice
> coil plug.
>
> >You sure it is the cable - could it not be the amp or plug ?
> >(especially the small to big adaptor thing)
>
> Positive. It happened on three different amps, and jiggling the left
> wire at the headphone gets it to kick on apparently.
>
> >Probably the cheapest option if the cord is broken is to get a
> >replacement via the agent
> >Rodney Gold
>
> PS: Have you ever taken your 580/600 apart? The drivers look really
> cool.
>
> --
> Jay B. Haider

Jay,
Mine had the same problem (and old pair of 430s).
Pull the plug, clean both parts with contact cleaner if you can, then treat with "Tweek" or XLO's
"TPC" contact enhancer. Reassemble.
Haven't had a problem since.
TR

Jay B. Haider

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

Well, I knew it would happen eventually the moment I saw the cord
of my lovely HD-580s. Poor thing wasn't long for this world.... gone
after, what, three, maybe four months of ownership? My right ear gets
that luscious, liquid sound, but my left gets nothing save a brief
spark of glory at random intervals. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone
knew of a manufacturer of a reliable cable that will do justice to
these fine cans. I don't want to buy another replacement just to have
it fail. Alternately, does anyone know a source for the little
two-pronged connectors that I could use to make my own cables? (What
are desirable technical properties for headphone cables, anyway?)

--
Jay B. Haider
Class of 2000, Sam Nunn School of International Affairs (Georgia Tech)

Rodney Gold

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

gte...@prism.gatech.edu (Jay B. Haider) wrote:

> Well, I knew it would happen eventually the moment I saw the cord
>of my lovely HD-580s. Poor thing wasn't long for this world.... gone
>after, what, three, maybe four months of ownership? My right ear gets
>that luscious, liquid sound, but my left gets nothing save a brief
>spark of glory at random intervals. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone
>knew of a manufacturer of a reliable cable that will do justice to
>these fine cans. I don't want to buy another replacement just to have
>it fail. Alternately, does anyone know a source for the little
>two-pronged connectors that I could use to make my own cables? (What
>are desirable technical properties for headphone cables, anyway?)

I was of the opinion that the HD580 Chords were made of OFC and were

Kevlar reinforced - Just *HOW* did you manage to break it ?

You sure it is the cable - could it not be the amp or plug ?
(especially the small to big adaptor thing)

Probably the cheapest option if the cord is broken is to get a
replacement via the agent

Rodney Gold

"The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is-
the feeling you get when you stop."

Jay B. Haider

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

wrote:

>I was of the opinion that the HD580 Chords were made of OFC and were

>Kevlar reinforced - Just *HOW* did you manage to break it ?

Well, actually what's broken (or only working intermittently,

rather) is the connection between the cable and the left cable-voice
coil plug.

>You sure it is the cable - could it not be the amp or plug ?

>(especially the small to big adaptor thing)

Positive. It happened on three different amps, and jiggling the left

wire at the headphone gets it to kick on apparently.

>Probably the cheapest option if the cord is broken is to get a

>replacement via the agent
>Rodney Gold

PS: Have you ever taken your 580/600 apart? The drivers look really
cool.

Chuck Ross

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

In article Jay B. Haider wrote:

> Well, I knew it would happen eventually the moment I saw the cord
> of my lovely HD-580s. Poor thing wasn't long for this world.... gone
> after, what, three, maybe four months of ownership? My right ear gets
> that luscious, liquid sound, but my left gets nothing save a brief
> spark of glory at random intervals. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone
> knew of a manufacturer of a reliable cable that will do justice to
> these fine cans. I don't want to buy another replacement just to have
> it fail. Alternately, does anyone know a source for the little
> two-pronged connectors that I could use to make my own cables? (What
> are desirable technical properties for headphone cables, anyway?)

The wire used in 580s is extremely high-quality fine copper, especially
made by Sennheiser for the phones. In addition, the special plugs on
the end of the cables are quite proprietary.

I've accidentally pulled the plug on one side of my cable when I had
my 580s by accidentally stepping on the cable, but no damage, just
plugged it back in.

Incidentally, plugging the plug back in requires a VERY STRONG, FIRM
PUSH until there's a definite click.

On the other hand, it is possible that you do have an intermittent
connection in the wire somewhere, so it might be best to order another
cable from a Sennheiser dealer. They all carry them in stock and they're
not terribly expensive.

Chuck Ross
Reply to ckr...@enteract.com

Steve Ranta

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <ckross-0110...@x2-14.d.enteract.com>,
ckr...@enteract.com (Chuck Ross) wrote:

. . .

> The wire used in 580s is extremely high-quality fine copper, especially
> made by Sennheiser for the phones. In addition, the special plugs on

> the end of the cables are quite proprietary. . .

I can't see anybody else wanting to use the design.

The worst aspect of all of the half-dozen Sennheisers I have owned is the
mickey mouse connection from the wire to the phones.

--
Steve Ranta

Chuck Ross

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <sranta-0210...@van-as-09b08.direct.ca>,
sra...@macwest.org (Steve Ranta) wrote:

In a previous life, my first pair of Senn. phones, the HD-414s, which I
still have, needed a cord replacement about once every 2 months for a total
of maybe ten cords. It was truly a pain in the ass, but the phones sounded
so good, I actually stood for it. Until one day I found a different
replacement cord set, also from Sennheiser, but which incorporated a volume
control along the cable set. To my amazement, this cable never wore out,
and is still working just fine.

Altho I don't have them any more, the cable on my Sennheiser HD-580s never
showed signs of wearing out, either.

bfeng

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <sranta-0210...@van-as-09b08.direct.ca>,
sra...@macwest.org says...

>In article <ckross-0110...@x2-14.d.enteract.com>,
>ckr...@enteract.com (Chuck Ross) wrote:
>> The wire used in 580s is extremely high-quality fine copper, especially
>> made by Sennheiser for the phones. In addition, the special plugs on
>> the end of the cables are quite proprietary. . .
>
>I can't see anybody else wanting to use the design.
>
>The worst aspect of all of the half-dozen Sennheisers I have owned is the
>mickey mouse connection from the wire to the phones.

Yes, we've got a lot of them here -- leaving the Stax Lambda Pros sitting,
lonely on a bench). I have CONSTANT problems with the plug/headphone
interface. This goes not only for the 580s but also the 420s and
265s. Getting a new cord from the manuf. helps for a few months, but
then the problem returns. This makes me think it could very well be
contamination of the plug ends (or the recepticles). It's a damn
PITA when you're giving a demo to some Ford exec and you have to tell
them to jiggle the headphone connection!!

John Feng

Jay B. Haider

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

On 2 Oct 1997 15:31:41 GMT, bf...@ford.com (bfeng) wrote:

>Yes, we've got a lot of them here -- leaving the Stax Lambda Pros sitting,
> lonely on a bench).

You prefer the HD580s to the Stax Earspeakers too? That makes two of
us!

> I have CONSTANT problems with the plug/headphone
>interface.

Well, I haven't, but since I've had the cans for so little time, I
presume that I'll have more problems with 'em...

> Getting a new cord from the manuf. helps for a few months, but
>then the problem returns.

Wait a minute. Is your problem spot the plug/cord interface or the
plug/spring interface? Mine's firmly on the plug/cord side of it.

>It's a damn
>PITA when you're giving a demo to some Ford exec and you have to tell
>them to jiggle the headphone connection!!
>John Feng

Sounds like an interesting sight! 8)

Jay B. Haider

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:43:03 -0500, ckr...@enteract.com (Chuck Ross)
wrote:

>In a previous life, my first pair of Senn. phones, the HD-414s, which I
>still have, needed a cord replacement about once every 2 months for a total
>of maybe ten cords. It was truly a pain in the ass, but the phones sounded
>so good, I actually stood for it. Until one day I found a different
>replacement cord set, also from Sennheiser, but which incorporated a volume
>control along the cable set. To my amazement, this cable never wore out,
>and is still working just fine.

Will this cable fit the 580? Moreover, did you notice any sonic
degradation from the attenuator?

bfeng

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

In article <343c73a2...@news.gatech.edu>, gte...@prism.gatech.edu
says...

>On 2 Oct 1997 15:31:41 GMT, bf...@ford.com (bfeng) wrote:
>
>>Yes, we've got a lot of them here -- leaving the Stax Lambda Pros
sitting,
>> lonely on a bench).
>
> You prefer the HD580s to the Stax Earspeakers too? That makes two of
>us!
Actually, yes I DO prefer the more neutral frequency balance. However,
the Stax do some interesting things with sound stage (that screwed up
version that you always get with headphones), and of course they have
that 'electrostatic' sound. The other big reason we went away from the
Stax is that my recording equipment is specifically equalized for
individual headphones and headphone amplifiers -- AND the maker of
these electronics no long supports Stax products. The reason given
was that Stax was having some problems with consistency across
units, while Senn. was very consistent (hence very little custom
equalization needed).

> Wait a minute. Is your problem spot the plug/cord interface or the
>plug/spring interface? Mine's firmly on the plug/cord side of it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on it. The problem we have is where the
L / R cord plugs into the bottom of the earcup assembly. The 1/8"
mini plug is fine. It's that little 2 prong thingy that looks like
a mini wood moisture meter.

>>It's a damn
>>PITA when you're giving a demo to some Ford exec and you have to tell
>>them to jiggle the headphone connection!!
>>John Feng
>
> Sounds like an interesting sight! 8)

Yes, the sight of a bunch of engineers trying to crawl under the
conference table!

Chuck Ross

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

> On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:43:03 -0500, ckr...@enteract.com (Chuck Ross)
> wrote:
>
> >In a previous life, my first pair of Senn. phones, the HD-414s, which I
> >still have, needed a cord replacement about once every 2 months for a total
> >of maybe ten cords. It was truly a pain in the ass, but the phones sounded
> >so good, I actually stood for it. Until one day I found a different
> >replacement cord set, also from Sennheiser, but which incorporated a volume
> >control along the cable set. To my amazement, this cable never wore out,
> >and is still working just fine.
>
> Will this cable fit the 580? Moreover, did you notice any sonic
> degradation from the attenuator?

Firstly, I have no idea that it's still available or not; secondly,
it appears that the little plugs on the cable ends are smaller than
the ones on the HD-580 cable. I no longer have the 580s to actually
compare and also test the fit, so sorry....

Jay B. Haider

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

On 3 Oct 1997 13:41:45 GMT, bf...@ford.com (bfeng) wrote:

>> Wait a minute. Is your problem spot the plug/cord interface or the
>>plug/spring interface? Mine's firmly on the plug/cord side of it.

>Sorry if I wasn't clear on it. The problem we have is where the
>L / R cord plugs into the bottom of the earcup assembly. The 1/8"
>mini plug is fine. It's that little 2 prong thingy that looks like
>a mini wood moisture meter.

Doh! I suppose I (yet again) proved incapable of expressing
myself.... my problem between the left cord and that "little 2 prong
thingy" (best explanation of it yet, I think! 8), at any rate, after
placing calls to Esoteric Audio, Kimber, and Straightwire, it appears
that I'm just gonna hafta buy another one.... maybe I'll buy two so
I'm not without my beloved 580s next time the cord goes out....

Chuck Ross

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

> On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:43:03 -0500, ckr...@enteract.com (Chuck Ross)
> wrote:
>
> >In a previous life, my first pair of Senn. phones, the HD-414s, which I
> >still have, needed a cord replacement about once every 2 months for a total
> >of maybe ten cords. It was truly a pain in the ass, but the phones sounded
> >so good, I actually stood for it. Until one day I found a different
> >replacement cord set, also from Sennheiser, but which incorporated a volume
> >control along the cable set. To my amazement, this cable never wore out,
> >and is still working just fine.
>
> Will this cable fit the 580? Moreover, did you notice any sonic
> degradation from the attenuator?

Oh. forgot to answer your last question; sonic degradation. Only to the
possibility of achieving exact balance with the little volume controls,
one for each channel. A single control would have been better, I think.
But otherwise, no...I didn't notice sonic degradation, but the HD-414
was not in the same class as the 580, which can literally be used to
compare interconnects.

Jeff Adams

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

On Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:27:53 GMT, gte...@prism.gatech.edu (Jay B.
Haider) wrote:

>On 2 Oct 1997 15:31:41 GMT, bf...@ford.com (bfeng) wrote:

>> I have CONSTANT problems with the plug/headphone
>>interface.
>
> Well, I haven't, but since I've had the cans for so little time, I
>presume that I'll have more problems with 'em...

I'm not disputing that many folks have had problems, but, I've still
got a pair of the 456's (this may not be the correct model #; it's the
ones with the blue earpieces, from about 1976 or so??) that have never
had any problems, and, I've got another pair (don't know the model #
on these - the foam earpiece covers are about 3.5" and are yellow)
that are at least 10-15 years old that have never had any problem
either.

I also have a brand new pair of 580's... No trouble yet, but, I
haven't used them a whole lot.

So, it seems this is a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary).

======CORRECT EMAIL: remove the xyz======================================
| Jeff....@gscxyz.gte.com) | GTE Electronic Systems Division |
| 415-966-2122 | Mountain View, CA U.S.A. |
| All opinions are mine and not my employer or internet access provider. |

Andre T. Yew

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

bf...@ford.com (bfeng) writes:

>I have CONSTANT problems with the plug/headphone

>interface. This goes not only for the 580s but also the 420s and
>265s. Getting a new cord from the manuf. helps for a few months, but
>then the problem returns. This makes me think it could very well be

>contamination of the plug ends (or the recepticles). It's a damn

>PITA when you're giving a demo to some Ford exec and you have to tell
>them to jiggle the headphone connection!!

John, check out the HeadRoom Web page (http://headroom.headphone.com)
for a relatively straightforward fix to this problem. The problem is
that the pins of the cables are wedged between the coils of a spring,
and sometimes the springs get deformed and don't grip the pins too well.
They have pictures and step-by-step intstructions for fixing it.

--Andre

--
PGP public key available

bfeng

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <6160im$s...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, and...@alumnae.caltech.edu
says...

>bf...@ford.com (bfeng) writes:
>
>>I have CONSTANT problems with the plug/headphone

>John, check out the HeadRoom Web page (http://headroom.headphone.com)

>for a relatively straightforward fix to this problem. The problem is
>that the pins of the cables are wedged between the coils of a spring,
>and sometimes the springs get deformed and don't grip the pins too well.
>They have pictures and step-by-step intstructions for fixing it.
>
>--Andre

THIS is why I still browse this godawful group! If you're ever in
the Detroit area, let me buy you a beer!

John Feng

Arny Krüger

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

bfeng wrote in message <61bgpl$3h...@eccws1.dearborn.ford.com>...

>>John, check out the HeadRoom Web page (http://headroom.headphone.com)
>>for a relatively straightforward fix to this problem. The problem is
>>that the pins of the cables are wedged between the coils of a spring,
>>and sometimes the springs get deformed and don't grip the pins too well.
>>They have pictures and step-by-step intstructions for fixing it.
>>
>>--Andre
>

>THIS is why I still browse this godawful group!

Despite the best efforts of Middius, Blank, HEAudio, and some of the other
Usual Suspects, some useful information of an objective nature does actually
get exchanged around here! ;-)

George M. Middius

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

The Krooborg waxes idiotic.

>>THIS is why I still browse this godawful group!

>Despite the best efforts of Middius, Blank, HEAudio, and some of the other
>Usual Suspects, some useful information of an objective nature does actually
>get exchanged around here! ;-)

Let me correct the Krooborg's misstatement:

Despite the snide, loathsome, and ill-informed posts by
Krooger, Phoebe, Krooger, Mikey the Bug Eater, Krooger,
Krooger, aero, Krooger, Krooger, Krooger, and Krooger,
occasionally people help each other in learning about and
selecting audio gear.

George M. Middius
remove "jiffy" to reply

bfeng

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

In article <343e8730...@news.erols.com>, Glan...@jiffypop.erols.com
says...

George,
Hate to be the millionth person to tell you this, but you add nothing
but a large dollop of useless babble to this newsgroup. The "borg"
stuff was funny 20,000 posts ago, but don't you think it's time to
drop it?

John

Arny Krüger

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

bfeng wrote in message <61tr9n$ns...@eccws1.dearborn.ford.com>...

>George,
>Hate to be the millionth person to tell you this, but you add nothing
>but a large dollop of useless babble to this newsgroup. The "borg"
>stuff was funny 20,000 posts ago, but don't you think it's time to
>drop it?

Regrettably, the "Kroogborg" stuff seems to be all that George knows how to
discuss that is even remotely connected with Audio.

As close to discussing Audio Goerge seems to be able to get to discussing
audio is attacking people who discuss audio.

Pathetic.