JBL L7 Speakers

Bryan N. Havenstein

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

Are the JBL L7's worth the price? How do they compare to the L5, etc. I
may be getting a pair, and I wanted to hear peoples opinions of them.

BNH

a@b.c

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

In <56d42c$7...@hermes.cair.du.edu>,

bhav...@odin.cair.du.edu (Bryan N. Havenstein) writes:

>Are the JBL L7's worth the price? How do they compare to the L5, etc.

No, they are not worth anything. Their only competition is Bose
and the White Van speakers.

The L7 are a waste of money. You'll be much better off with any of the
even under $500 speakers you see frequently mentioned on this newsgroup.

> I may be getting a pair,

Don't.

>and I wanted to hear peoples opinions of them.

Crap.

a@b.c

Johnny Y Boey

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

a@b.c wrote:

> In <56d42c$7...@hermes.cair.du.edu>,
> bhav...@odin.cair.du.edu (Bryan N. Havenstein) writes:
>
> >Are the JBL L7's worth the price? How do they compare to the L5, etc.
>
> No, they are not worth anything. Their only competition is Bose
> and the White Van speakers.
>
> The L7 are a waste of money. You'll be much better off with any of the
> even under $500 speakers you see frequently mentioned on this newsgroup.
>
> > I may be getting a pair,
>
> Don't.

Have you ever listened to the L7? or are you just generalizing about JBL
speakers? Maybe they don't worth the money, but they are fine speakers.
I am sure they blow all $500 speakers away in terms of pure power,
satisfying bass, and rugged tweeters.

JB

Dylan Ginsburg

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

a@b.c wrote:

>In <56d42c$7...@hermes.cair.du.edu>,
>bhav...@odin.cair.du.edu (Bryan N. Havenstein) writes:
>
>>Are the JBL L7's worth the price? How do they compare to the L5, etc.
>
>No, they are not worth anything. Their only competition is Bose
>and the White Van speakers.

This is ridiculous. I agree that the L7's are not worth the money but
they aren't crap and they're somewhat better than Bose and leagues
ahead of white van speakers.

>The L7 are a waste of money. You'll be much better off with any of the
>even under $500 speakers you see frequently mentioned on this newsgroup.

The vast majority of <$500 speakers mentioned in this group are
bookshelf speakers while the L7's are reasonably full range. So if
Bryan is looking for home theater speakers than this is a poor
recommendation.

Bryan, I'm guessing that you've been shopping at stores like Circuit
City, Best Buy, Good Guys, etc. I'd suggest finding a decent mid-fi or
high end store. Although the L7's are not terrible speakers, you can
do better for the money. What do they cost, like $1200? You could get
a very nice pair of Definitive Technology speakers (BP-8 or BP-10, I
believe) for that price that sound good, are not too fussy, have
decent bass extension and are available at lots of mid-fi dealers. If
you can go up a bit in price, the Von Schweikert VR-3's are something
you should audition. NHT is another brand that makes some excellent
speakers at that price. These are just a few suggestions as there are
many excellent speakers around that price point.

-Dylan

Johnny Y Boey

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Dylan Ginsburg wrote:
> Although the L7's are not terrible speakers, you can
> do better for the money. What do they cost, like $1200? You could get
> a very nice pair of Definitive Technology speakers (BP-8 or BP-10, I
> believe) for that price that sound good, are not too fussy, have
> decent bass extension and are available at lots of mid-fi dealers.

Happen to like the L7 better than the Deft BP10.

JB