glynnis barber

Gareth M. Evans

Apr 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/25/95
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason M Payne <jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:
In article <3nho4m$g...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jason M Payne) writes:

Jason> Does anyone know what happened to Glynnis Barber, co-star of a
Jason> show called "Dempsey and Makepeace"? I used to watch the reruns
Jason> and thought she was pretty good.

Jason> Oh yeah, re. the Elizabeth Hurley flap. Though I didn't see the
Jason> pictures from the British Awards show, I imagine her entrance was
Jason> just like the ones before. Look, she's got a pretty face and a
Jason> nice body, and she uses them to help her career. Nothing wrong
Jason> with that. I do think we need to better differentiate between
Jason> *actress* and *model*. She strikes me as the latter, given her
Jason> compelling performance as terrorist #2 in a forgettable Wesley
Jason> SNipes action flick.

I didn't realise she had been in a film. I thought being a bimbo at film
premieres *was* her career.....

Soz, Cherri, nowt you can say will convince me otherwise...

How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo", and it;s the
women that have been defensive?
--

----
ObSig: "Did I miss something?"

Gareth M. Evans, TEL: +44 1223 428245
Tadpole Technology PLC, FAX: +44 1223 428201
Cambridge Science Park, EMAIL: g...@tadpole.co.uk
Cambridge, CB4 4WQ

N J Millard

Apr 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/25/95
jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jason M Payne) wrote:

> Does anyone know what happened to Glynnis Barber, co-star of a show called
> "Dempsey and Makepeace"? I used to watch the reruns and thought she was pretty
> good.

Glynis married her 'Dempsey and Makepiece' co-star, Michael Brandon and
moved from London to L.A. They had a baby a couple of years back and she
seems to have put her acting career on hold to become a full time mom.

Regards,

N.J. Millard
nmil...@hfnet.bt.co.uk

Jason M Payne

Apr 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/25/95
Does anyone know what happened to Glynnis Barber, co-star of a show called
"Dempsey and Makepeace"? I used to watch the reruns and thought she was pretty
good.

Oh yeah, re. the Elizabeth Hurley flap. Though I didn't see the pictures from
the British Awards show, I imagine her entrance was just like the ones before.
Look, she's got a pretty face and a nice body, and she uses them to help her
career. Nothing wrong with that. I do think we need to better differentiate
between *actress* and *model*. She strikes me as the latter, given her
compelling performance as terrorist #2 in a forgettable Wesley SNipes action
flick.

Dawn Friedman

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
In article <GME.95Ap...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk>,

Gareth M. Evans <g...@tadpole.co.uk> wrote:

>How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo", and it;s the
>women that have been defensive?

Seemed to me as if the women (how many have posted on this thread at
all?) don't think that it's a crime to capitalize on your looks
whether or not you have anything else to offer, and most of the men
seem to be terrified that if they don't holler "bimbo" every time
a good-looking third-rate actress is mentioned, we'll all be blinded
by her beauty and offer her lucrative contracts.

There's an interesting subtheme along the lines of, "If a woman
is selling her sex appeal, she ought not to get away with doing it
in a high-status venue, the way men with sex appeal do, but
rather appear in an explicit pornographic magazine so that everyone
will treat her with the contempt she deserves."

Which is not to say that I wouldn't be interested if Steven Pacey
decided to so appear... But then, I don't hold the objects of
my pornographic fantasies in contempt.

>ObSig: "Did I miss something?"

No, not a thing. And thanks to you, we will all be on the alert
for evil mediocre actresses who dare to bounce their breasts.
--
Dawn Sharon frie...@husc.harvard.edu
"I love those things which have such a sweet magic

Gareth M. Evans

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
In article <3...@soundbite.win-uk.net> c...@soundbite.win-uk.net (Cherri Gilham) writes:

Cherri> In article <GME.95Ap...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk>, Gareth

Cherri> M. Evans (g...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk) writes:
>> In article <3nho4m$g...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>> jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jason M Payne) writes:
>>

>> snip

GMA> I didn't realise she had been in a film. I thought being a bimbo
Cherri> at fil
GMA> premieres *was* her career.....
>>
GMA> Soz, Cherri, nowt you can say will convince me otherwise...

Cherri> ----- And that's why I wouldn't even bother, Gareth. It's not
Cherri> the real issue here. -----
That's good
GMA> How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo", and it;s the
GMA> women that have been defensive?
Cherri> -----

Cherri> The question here should be: Why do the men feel threatened by
Cherri> Liz Hurley? When you slag her off the way you do, you serve to
Cherri> undermine and devalue yourselves, therefore elevating the very
Cherri> subject you're trying to enervate. Shame really 'cos you guys
Cherri> do still have a role to play in the superwoman world, but I'm
Cherri> wondering whether we're going to want such a weak strain to
Cherri> breed into the next generation. I say this as a woman who loves
Cherri> men more than she particularly likes women, and I hate the way
Cherri> you're hiding under the pedestal of your own creation. Get your
Cherri> power back boys!

You have an interesting slant to the word "logic". I would have thought
the only person undermined and devalued was Ms Hurley, who felt that she
had to make that entrance (which I missed, btw. Kettle boiling was a
higher priority). I find it quite amusing that the poor dear came to
fame by being upstaged by her clothing. To prevent that in the future,
she has seen fit to wear as little as possible, thus reducing the
chances of being upstaged in future.

You will be glad to know that so far I have not contributed to the
gene-pool, and the way things are going, it does not look like I am
likely to in the near future. This, however does not make me
unappreciative of the female form. There were many very beautiful people
at the Baftas, both male and female. However, I much prefer the subtle
Kylie approach than the Liz "these are my tits. Aren't they impressive"
Hurley approach. Oh, and the answer is "no, they're not"

Gareth
Who's created no-one, has no desire for power, and the nearest I get to
a pedestal is my bin. Oh, that's pedal-bin. Sorry.
--

----

ObSig: "Did I miss something?"

Gareth M. Evans, TEL: +44 1223 428245

Mr M D Warren

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
Gareth M. Evans (g...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk) wrote:

: Gareth

Yes...I am sure she is crying all the way to the bank about being upstaged
by her clothes...she isnt hurting anyone..;)
Mike.

Helen Gerald

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
In article <3...@soundbite.win-uk.net> c...@soundbite.win-uk.net (Cherri Gilham) writes:

>GMA>How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo", and it;s

>GMA> the women that have been defensive?
>-----

>The question here should be: Why do the men feel threatened by Liz

>Hurley? When you slag her off the way you do, you serve to

>undermine and devalue yourselves, therefore elevating the very

>subject you're trying to enervate.

>Shame really 'cos you guys do still have a role to play in the
>superwoman world, but I'm wondering whether we're going to want
>such a weak strain to breed into the next generation.
>I say this as a woman who loves men more than she particularly
>likes women, and I hate the way you're hiding under the pedestal
>of your own creation.
>Get your power back boys!

My problem with Liz Hurley is that she seems to be famous for who she sleeps
with, and the genetic accident that gives her the shape she has. (And the
moths in her wardrobe!) What does she actually do to be important in her own
right, eh? At least Hugh Grant was in a good film! She's too unimportant to
threaten me in the slightest... :-)

IMHO she just devalues the rest of us who want to be judged by what we do and
what we are, not how we look and who we discuss Uganda with.

Thud - off the soapbox.

Helen
Helen Gerald, Surrey, UK ger...@lgcp.logica.com

'What's the point of being grown-up if you can't be childish?'

Opinions are mine and not those of Logica.

David

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95
If you want to see more of Liz Hurley (quite a lot more in fact) in
her earlier days, take a look at the "Aria" video on Virgin. She
features in one of the aria scenes. Her mouthing of the libretto leaves
a lot to be desired, but she not wearing a lot so there's plenty
of other things to keep you occupied.
David EMail da...@bryantdn.demon.co.uk

"Amazing wit, always on form" - The Times

"Incapable of everything but genius" - Observer

"Good laugh" - The Sun

"*?!**@*&!" - Viz

The above endorsements are purely fictitious and should not be taken
seriously. The end.

In the begining was the Big Bang, but what happened 10 minutes before that?

Cherri Gilham

Apr 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/27/95

In article <GME.95Ap...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk>, Gareth M. Evans (g...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk) writes:
>In article <3nho4m$g...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jason M Payne) writes:
>
>snip

GMA>I didn't realise she had been in a film. I thought being a bimbo

at fil
GMA>premieres *was* her career.....
>
GMA>Soz, Cherri, nowt you can say will convince me otherwise...

-----
And that's why I wouldn't even bother, Gareth. It's not the real
issue here.
-----

GMA>How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo", and it;s
GMA> the women that have been defensive?
-----

The question here should be: Why do the men feel threatened by Liz
Hurley? When you slag her off the way you do, you serve to
undermine and devalue yourselves, therefore elevating the very
subject you're trying to enervate.
Shame really 'cos you guys do still have a role to play in the
superwoman world, but I'm wondering whether we're going to want
such a weak strain to breed into the next generation.
I say this as a woman who loves men more than she particularly
likes women, and I hate the way you're hiding under the pedestal
of your own creation.
Get your power back boys!

Cherri

John J Smith

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95

Cherri Gilham <c...@soundbite.win-uk.net> wrote:

>The question here should be: Why do the men feel threatened by Liz
>Hurley? When you slag her off the way you do, you serve to
>undermine and devalue yourselves, therefore elevating the very
>subject you're trying to enervate.
>Shame really 'cos you guys do still have a role to play in the
>superwoman world, but I'm wondering whether we're going to want
>such a weak strain to breed into the next generation.
>I say this as a woman who loves men more than she particularly
>likes women, and I hate the way you're hiding under the pedestal
>of your own creation.
>Get your power back boys!

Have you been hiding under a bridge?

Smid

JZazinski

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
We have the same problem on this side of the pond. It's called "Madonna."
Janice Zazinski
jzaz...@aol.com

Jeremy Henderson

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
Cherri Gilham (c...@soundbite.win-uk.net) wrote:
:
: In article <GME.95Ap...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk>, Gareth M. Evans (g...@york.dev.tadpole.co.uk) writes:
: >>>>>> "Jason" == Jason M Payne <jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:
: >In article <3nho4m$g...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jmp...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jason M Payne) writes:
: >
: >snip

: GMA>I didn't realise she had been in a film. I thought being a bimbo
: at fil
: GMA>premieres *was* her career.....
: >
: GMA>Soz, Cherri, nowt you can say will convince me otherwise...

: -----
: And that's why I wouldn't even bother, Gareth. It's not the real
: issue here.
: -----
: GMA>How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo", and it;s
: GMA> the women that have been defensive?
: -----

: The question here should be: Why do the men feel threatened by Liz

: Hurley? When you slag her off the way you do, you serve to
: undermine and devalue yourselves, therefore elevating the very
: subject you're trying to enervate.
: Shame really 'cos you guys do still have a role to play in the
: superwoman world, but I'm wondering whether we're going to want
: such a weak strain to breed into the next generation.
: I say this as a woman who loves men more than she particularly
: likes women, and I hate the way you're hiding under the pedestal
: of your own creation.
: Get your power back boys!

So, I take it a blow-job's out of the question?

: Cherri

--
Jeremy.

Jeremy Henderson

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95

: >-----

[...]

Gotta disagree with you here - Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which
for some reason appealed to Americans. Sorry, that should have read:
"Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which *therefore* appealed to Americans".

In fact he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was dumbstruck
by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen Scott-Thomas looked on in
amusement.

Bit of a coincidence, since he had earlier appeared in Bitter Moon, where
he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was dumbstruck
by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen Scott-Thomas looked on in
amusement.

: IMHO she just devalues the rest of us who want to be judged by what we do and

--
Jeremy.

Gareth M. Evans

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
In article <D7qsD...@festival.ed.ac.uk> jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Henderson) writes:

Jeremy> Helen Gerald (ger...@lgcp.logica.com) wrote: : In article
Jeremy> <3...@soundbite.win-uk.net> c...@soundbite.win-uk.net (Cherri
Jeremy> Gilham) writes:

Jeremy> : >GMA>How is it that most of the men here have said "bimbo",
Jeremy> and it;s : >GMA> the women that have been defensive? : >-----

Jeremy> : >The question here should be: Why do the men feel threatened
Jeremy> by Liz : >Hurley? When you slag her off the way you do, you
Jeremy> serve to : >undermine and devalue yourselves, therefore
Jeremy> elevating the very : >subject you're trying to enervate. :
Jeremy> >Shame really 'cos you guys do still have a role to play in the
Jeremy> : >superwoman world, but I'm wondering whether we're going to
Jeremy> want : >such a weak strain to breed into the next generation. :
Jeremy> >I say this as a woman who loves men more than she particularly
Jeremy> : >likes women, and I hate the way you're hiding under the
Jeremy> pedestal : >of your own creation. : >Get your power back boys!

Jeremy> : My problem with Liz Hurley is that she seems to be famous for
Jeremy> who she sleeps : with, and the genetic accident that gives her
Jeremy> the shape she has. (And the : moths in her wardrobe!) What does
Jeremy> she actually do to be important in her own : right, eh? At least
Jeremy> Hugh Grant was in a good film! She's too unimportant to :
Jeremy> threaten me in the slightest... :-)

Jeremy> Gotta disagree with you here - Hugh Grant was in a crap film,
Jeremy> which for some reason appealed to Americans. Sorry, that should
Jeremy> have read: "Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which *therefore*
Jeremy> appealed to Americans".

Jeremy> In fact he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was
Jeremy> dumbstruck by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen
Jeremy> Scott-Thomas looked on in amusement.

Jeremy> Bit of a coincidence, since he had earlier appeared in Bitter
Jeremy> Moon, where he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who
Jeremy> was dumbstruck by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen
Jeremy> Scott-Thomas looked on in amusement.

I think that's because he is a gawpy fish-faced public-school
wally......

Only Hurley's not foreign......

A.D. Ord

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
In article <D7qsD...@festival.ed.ac.uk> jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Henderson) writes:
>From: jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Henderson)
>Subject: Re: Liz Hurley
>Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 11:10:28 GMT
>Gotta disagree with you here - Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which
>for some reason appealed to Americans. Sorry, that should have read:
>"Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which *therefore* appealed to Americans".

>In fact he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was dumbstruck
>by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen Scott-Thomas looked on in
>amusement.

>Bit of a coincidence, since he had earlier appeared in Bitter Moon, where
>he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was dumbstruck
>by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen Scott-Thomas looked on in
>amusement.

hello
i love your turn of phrase there !!
that gawpy public school thing riles me no end 'coz having been to public
school in the tory heartlands of southern england i just cringe 'coz people
think that if you went to public school then you are a dumb arsed nonce who is
easily impressed by foreign totty which alas i am not
something to do with the silly hair colours and being a goth for me
anyway Richard E Grant is a far superior actor 'coz he always plays
neurotics/alcoholics - withnail and i/franz kafka's its a wondeful life/how to
get ahead in advertising/dracula
bye
alexander

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Don't threaten me with a dead fish !"
- Withnail & I
his...@leeds.ac.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dave Budd

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95
In article <3nqgmg$p...@inferno.mpx.com.au> kie...@jolt.mpx.com.au (Kieran McCabe) writes:
>This whole thread has been wonderfully entertaining, but for those
>of us who have not seen the footage of her *appearance*, wouldn't
>it be nice if someone would scan and upload a copy of Ms Hurley's
>'fashion statement' -- purely in the interest of a more
>well-rounded debate.

The appropriate effect could only be achieved with an MPEG, it was the
motion that did it. The point the anti-Hurleys are making is that it
appeared deliberate. Apparently she knows she has no assets apart from
her body, and while few of us are averse to seeing an attractive body
occasionally, many feel that it's not enough to qualify her for all the
media attention she's getting.

-- Dave Budd: +44|0-161-275-6033 fax 6040 D.B...@mcc.ac.uk
Recent scientific studies analyzing the brain tissue of dead poker players
proved the following: 22% of winning is mathematics, 3% is intuition,
8% is luck, 15% is discipline, 52% is psychology. [Mike "Mad Genius" Caro]

Kieran McCabe

Apr 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/28/95

This whole thread has been wonderfully entertaining, but for those
of us who have not seen the footage of her *appearance*, wouldn't
it be nice if someone would scan and upload a copy of Ms Hurley's
'fashion statement' -- purely in the interest of a more
well-rounded debate.

--
Kieran McCabe | Cruel - Heartless - Almost unbearably mean |
kie...@jolt.mpx.com.au | Lover of turnips |

Paul Cornell

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95
In article <3nm7h5$j...@decaxp.harvard.edu> Dawn Friedman,
frie...@fas.harvard.edu writes:

> There's an interesting subtheme along the lines of, "If a woman
>is selling her sex appeal, she ought not to get away with doing it
>in a high-status venue, the way men with sex appeal do, but
>rather appear in an explicit pornographic magazine so that everyone
>will treat her with the contempt she deserves."

I couldn't agree more. Nobody says: 'Oh, that Arnold Schwarzenegger! Look
at him bulging his biceps and swinging his bottom on TV! He can't act,
he's just selling himself!' I do think a lot of men on this newsgroup
(heck, any newsgroup) find the idea of beautiful women getting good
publicity somehow upsetting.

Nigel E. Richardson

Apr 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/29/95
Trouble with this Liz Hurley Is A Bimbo line of debate (aside from the
usual usenet misogyny) is that she isn't very good at it.

I thought she was playing the media at their own games back when she
started wearing Those Dresses and posing in her undies for Loaded and
such mags. Yea, I thought she was being ironic and sexy and self-affirming
and all those other words we Nearly New Men liked to use to justify our
devotion to such babes. But she isn't inventive or smart or funny enough
to carry it off. It's just tits, jiggle and docility. She's Michael Winner's
idea of an ultrababe (the ultimate insult), and it's getting rather boring.

Also she's getting a bit too righteous about stuff she did in the past, as
if appearing in crap films and doing glamour shots is somehow worse than
appearing in _Hello_ and being a celebrity girlfriend.

Better an honest "bimbo" than a humourless ornament....

So saith,

NER

=======================H=E=Y===S=P=A=C=E=C=A=D=E=T=S=!=======================
coming May 1995: SlubberdegulliONLINE Swing low in your weep ship, with
at turnpike.net/metro/N/ner/index.html your tear scans and your sob probes

Dawn Friedman

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95
In article <D7sIs...@demon.co.uk>,

Paul Cornell <pa...@cornell.demon.co.uk.> wrote:
>In article <3nm7h5$j...@decaxp.harvard.edu> Dawn Friedman,
>frie...@fas.harvard.edu writes:
>
>> There's an interesting subtheme along the lines of, "If a woman
>>is selling her sex appeal, she ought not to get away with doing it
>>in a high-status venue, the way men with sex appeal do, but
>>rather appear in an explicit pornographic magazine so that everyone
>>will treat her with the contempt she deserves."
>
>I couldn't agree more. Nobody says: 'Oh, that Arnold Schwarzenegger! Look
>at him bulging his biceps and swinging his bottom on TV! He can't act,
>he's just selling himself!'

<g> Well now, of course that's exactly what many people say. But what
they don't say is, "What a slut. Why doesn't he just go and bare his
butt in some gay skin magazine?"

> I do think a lot of men on this newsgroup
>(heck, any newsgroup) find the idea of beautiful women getting good
>publicity somehow upsetting.

Perhaps they're just ever-vigilant lest some bit of mediocrity
(mediocrity? In popular culture? We're shocked!) slip by unremarked.
In which case the feminist point to be made would be the rather modest,
"When a female schlemiel does just as well as a male schlemiel,
*then* we'll have equality."

L.J. Gretton

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95

Kieran McCabe <kie...@jolt.mpx.com.au> wrote:

>This whole thread has been wonderfully entertaining, but for those
>of us who have not seen the footage of her *appearance*, wouldn't
>it be nice if someone would scan and upload a copy of Ms Hurley's
>'fashion statement' -- purely in the interest of a more
>well-rounded debate.

I think it was just a boring pink frock she was wearing... not a safety pin in
sight.

Liam

Liam Cairney

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95
In article <D7qsD...@festival.ed.ac.uk>
jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk "Jeremy Henderson" writes:

> Gotta disagree with you here - Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which
> for some reason appealed to Americans. Sorry, that should have read:
> "Hugh Grant was in a crap film, which *therefore* appealed to Americans".
>
> In fact he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was dumbstruck
> by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen Scott-Thomas looked on in
> amusement.
>
> Bit of a coincidence, since he had earlier appeared in Bitter Moon, where
> he played a gawpy fish-faced public-school wally who was dumbstruck
> by a piece of foreign totty, while Kristen Scott-Thomas looked on in
> amusement.

And later appeared in _Sirens_, where he played a gawpy fish-faced public-
school wally-turned-cleric who was dumbstruck by several pieces of
foreign totty, but was unable to do anything about it, while Tara
Fitzgerald looked on in amusement.

Actually, I quite enjoyed Sirens, despite Grant.

Liam.
====-

--
Liam Cairney -- li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk |"I'm not expendable, I'm
"Penfold, Shush!" | not stupid, and I'm not

Moonbeam

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
What is the deal with trashing Hugh Grant? he is one of the freshest
actors to come along in awhile with actual talent. So maybe Four
Weddings and a Funeral wasn't a Schindler's List... but it was
entertaining and a nice change from some of the other crap that has been
relesed lately.

Bill Donald

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
In article <his3ado.44...@leeds.ac.uk>, his...@leeds.ac.uk (A.D. Ord) writes:

--- snip ---

|> hello
|> i love your turn of phrase there !!
|> that gawpy public school thing riles me no end 'coz having been to public
|> school in the tory heartlands of southern england i just cringe 'coz people
|> think that if you went to public school then you are a dumb arsed nonce who is
|> easily impressed by foreign totty which alas i am not
|> something to do with the silly hair colours and being a goth for me
|> anyway Richard E Grant is a far superior actor 'coz he always plays
|> neurotics/alcoholics - withnail and i/franz kafka's its a wondeful life/how to
|> get ahead in advertising/dracula
|> bye
|> alexander
|>
|> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|> "Don't threaten me with a dead fish !"
|> - Withnail & I
|> his...@leeds.ac.uk
|> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see that Leeds Uni has raised their entrance standard for written english.

Often makes me wonder how these people actually pass exams - are they conducted
orally, or taken by a paid stand-in?

--
Bill Donald don...@ecid.cig.mot.com
Documentation Group Tel: (44) 017 9350 0088

A.D. Ord

May 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/1/95
In article <1995May...@merlin.ecid.cig.mot.com> don...@merlin.ecid.cig.mot.com (Bill Donald) writes:
>From: don...@merlin.ecid.cig.mot.com (Bill Donald)
>Subject: Re: Liz Hurley
>Date: 1 May 1995 12:12:44 GMT

>In article <his3ado.44...@leeds.ac.uk>, his...@leeds.ac.uk (A.D. Ord) writes:

> --- snip ---

>I see that Leeds Uni has raised their entrance standard for written english.

>Often makes me wonder how these people actually pass exams - are they conducted
>orally, or taken by a paid stand-in?

hello
as it is they let me in even though i didn't get the required grades so on
that front public school helped me
as to my bobbins estandard of english on the newsgroupss that is just
something you develop after a log period of time having 3 hours letcures a
week/3 hours tutorials every 2 weeks and as a result you sit in front of the
computer all day posting articles like this
mind you as this thread in about liz hurley i htink i shoudl write
something about her
when 'Beyond Bedlam' (which our liz is in) came out 2 years ago it was
slated as being an inferior british imitation of 'Silence of the Lambs' now
this view has been altered by the media which originally reviewed it does
anyone know why ? ;-)
about all really
just wondered if any connection had been made between the film, the
actress, her boyfriend and his film

Gareth M. Evans

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
In article <799278...@kerravon.demon.co.uk> Li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk (Liam Cairney) writes:

Liam> And later appeared in _Sirens_, where he played a gawpy fish-faced
Liam> public- school wally-turned-cleric who was dumbstruck by several
Liam> pieces of foreign totty, but was unable to do anything about it,
Liam> while Tara Fitzgerald looked on in amusement.

Don't you mean "Whilst Tara Fitzgerald got her kit off in amusement"
Liam> Actually, I quite enjoyed Sirens, despite Grant.

precicely
Liam> Liam. ====-

Liam> -- Liam Cairney -- li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk |"I'm not expendable,
Liam> I'm "Penfold, Shush!" | not stupid, and I'm not Location:
Liam> Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland. | going" - Kerr Avon (B7)

Undergrad Pauly

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
First off, let me say that I don't mind seeing Liz Hurley, with or
without her kit, on TV or magazines.

I *do* object to her being treated as a serious artist, or her
being compared to Arnie or Madonna. They both worked their way up,
and contributed something worthwhile to the world of art and
entertainment.

She's nice to look at, and I'm sure she's a lovely girl, but that's it.

http://www.port.ac.uk/~clarkep/homepage.html

Jon Tickle

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
On 28 Apr 1995, Kieran McCabe wrote:

> This whole thread has been wonderfully entertaining, but for those
> of us who have not seen the footage of her *appearance*, wouldn't
> it be nice if someone would scan and upload a copy of Ms Hurley's
> 'fashion statement' -- purely in the interest of a more
> well-rounded debate.
> --
> Kieran McCabe | Cruel - Heartless - Almost unbearably mean |
> kie...@jolt.mpx.com.au | Lover of turnips |

Good idea, but the problem is that the dress itself was relatively
boring. It was the *way* in which she bounced down the stairs that got me
in particular licking the TV screen :)
Still, has anyone got a spare meg or so on their Web page so that we can
all relive the moment? Understandably no one in their right mind would
have actually videod the show....

Jon Tickle

* No friend ever did a Dwarf a favour, no enemy a wrong * E-Mail: *
* without being repaid in full. -JRRT * jp...@le.ac.uk *

G.O'Keefe

May 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/2/95
Dawn Friedman (frie...@fas.harvard.edu) wrote:
[stuff about good looking women and arnie's butt in a gay skin mag deleted]

| In which case the feminist point to be made would be the rather modest,
| "When a female schlemiel does just as well as a male schlemiel,
| *then* we'll have equality."

What's a schlemiel?

Gary
--
Gary O'Keefe, College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University, Cranfield,
BEDS MK43 0AL | +44 123 475 0111 x 5207 | "War is deception" - Sun Tzu

Alan Charlton

May 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/4/95
In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501...@orion.naz.edu>,
tnst...@naz.edu says...

What really hacks me off is that Hugh Grant has been doing radio comedy
for years, and I've been an admirer for a long time - yet he only becomes
"popular" because he plays a bumbling upper-class twit in a rather twee film.

Humbug!

Alan

Jeremy Henderson

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95
In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501...@orion.naz.edu>,
tnst...@naz.edu says...

>What is the deal with trashing Hugh Grant? he is one of the freshest
>actors to come along in awhile with actual talent. So maybe Four
>Weddings and a Funeral wasn't a Schindler's List... but it was
>entertaining and a nice change from some of the other crap that has been
>relesed lately.

If you found 4WaaF funny - camp homosexuals, tight-fisted Scots, best man
loses wedding ring - may I suggest you look out for films where people
slip on banana skins, mothers-in-law are ferocious, and other "comedy
classics" - you'll be in stitches.

--
Jeremy.

Chris Sully

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95
In article <1995May...@merlin.ecid.cig.mot.com>, don...@merlin.ecid.cig.mot.com (Bill Donald) writes:
|> In article <his3ado.44...@leeds.ac.uk>, his...@leeds.ac.uk (A.D. Ord) writes:
|>
|> --- snip ---

|> I see that Leeds Uni has raised their entrance standard for written english.
|>
|> Often makes me wonder how these people actually pass exams - are they conducted
|> orally, or taken by a paid stand-in?

Just because someone chooses not to display an ability does not mean it does not exist. Why not permit adaptation of the written word according to context, as is
more acceptable orally.

Chill.

Chris.

Kathy Li

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95

jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Henderson) wrote:

]If you found 4WaaF funny - camp homosexuals, tight-fisted Scots, best man

]loses wedding ring - may I suggest you look out for films where people
]slip on banana skins, mothers-in-law are ferocious, and other "comedy
]classics" - you'll be in stitches.

Yup. Regular as clockwork. Can't be critically popular *AND* financially
successful in the UK. :-) [ahem. sorry.]

For whoever the Hugh Grant fan was, keep an eye peeled for THE ENGLISHMAN
WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN. His adorable floppy bangs are
even longer. You have to admit that Hugh *is* pretty. (And Colm Meaney
does a great Welsh accent. What is it with Irishmen playing everything but
Irishmen these days?)

--Kathy (who plans to see ROB ROY *real* soon, and apologizes for the
complete lack of any tv information in this message whatsoever).

--
Kathy Li |"You might very well think that. I couldn't
kat...@qualcomm.com | possibly comment."

Deryk Barker

May 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/5/95
: frie...@fas.harvard.edu writes:

: > There's an interesting subtheme along the lines of, "If a woman
: >is selling her sex appeal, she ought not to get away with doing it
: >in a high-status venue, the way men with sex appeal do, but
: >rather appear in an explicit pornographic magazine so that everyone
: >will treat her with the contempt she deserves."

: I couldn't agree more. Nobody says: 'Oh, that Arnold Schwarzenegger! Look
: at him bulging his biceps and swinging his bottom on TV! He can't act,
: he's just selling himself!'

This is *precisely* my attitude to the talent-free musclebound one.

: I do think a lot of men on this newsgroup

: (heck, any newsgroup) find the idea of beautiful women getting good
: publicity somehow upsetting.

Only if it's simply *because* they are beautiful.
--
Deryk.
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Across the pale parabola of Joy |

Jeremy Henderson

May 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/7/95
Kathy Li (t_...@qualcomm.com) wrote:
: ]In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501...@orion.naz.edu>,
: ]tnst...@naz.edu says...

: ]>What is the deal with trashing Hugh Grant? he is one of the freshest
: ]>actors to come along in awhile with actual talent. So maybe Four
: ]>Weddings and a Funeral wasn't a Schindler's List... but it was
: ]>entertaining and a nice change from some of the other crap that has been
: ]>relesed lately.

: jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy Henderson) wrote:

: ]If you found 4WaaF funny - camp homosexuals, tight-fisted Scots, best man
: ]loses wedding ring - may I suggest you look out for films where people
: ]slip on banana skins, mothers-in-law are ferocious, and other "comedy
: ]classics" - you'll be in stitches.

: Yup. Regular as clockwork. Can't be critically popular *AND* financially
: successful in the UK. :-) [ahem. sorry.]

To be really financially successful it's necessary to appeal to the
American audience, which rather militates against anything resembling
"artistic quality".

--
Jeremy.

Melinda Casino

May 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/7/95
In <D87DB...@festival.ed.ac.uk> jer...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Jeremy
Henderson) writes:

>: ]If you found 4WaaF funny - camp homosexuals, tight-fisted Scots,
best man
>: ]loses wedding ring - may I suggest you look out for films where
people
>: ]slip on banana skins, mothers-in-law are ferocious, and other

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, hey--don't knock The Goodies (see "Stop that Gibbon" episode). ;)
--
888888b. 888
888 "88b 888

N.W.H. Mailer

May 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/10/95
In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501...@orion.naz.edu> Moonbeam <tnst...@naz.edu> writes:
>From: Moonbeam <tnst...@naz.edu>
>Subject: Re: Hugh Grant (was Re: Liz Hurley)
>Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 01:25:08 -0400

>What is the deal with trashing Hugh Grant? he is one of the freshest
>actors to come along in awhile with actual talent. So maybe Four
>Weddings and a Funeral wasn't a Schindler's List... but it was
>entertaining and a nice change from some of the other crap that has been
>relesed lately.

Like? Pulp Fiction, The Madness of King George, The Shawshank Redemption, Quiz
Show, Muriels Wedding - all of which beat the hell out of "Four Weddings and a
sucking up the the American audience's Preconceptions".

---
* | Nicholas Mailer, Leeds University
* | Koeksuster Publications
* | eng3...@arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk
* | http://www.demon.co.uk/koekie/

The Net needs Libel Laws
like a salamander needs a hair-drier.

Scapade

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
In article <From: eng3...@leeds.ac.uk> N.W.H. Mailer writes:

*In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.950501...@orion.naz.edu>
writes

>>What is the deal with trashing Hugh Grant? he is one of the freshest
>>actors to come along in awhile with actual talent. So maybe Four
>>Weddings and a Funeral wasn't a Schindler's List... but it was
>>entertaining and a nice change from some of the other crap that has been

>>relesed lately.

>Like? Pulp Fiction, The Madness of King George, The Shawshank Redemption,
>Quiz Show, Muriels Wedding - all of which beat the hell out of "Four
Weddings >and a sucking up the the American audience's Preconceptions".

NIck, have you considered the possibility that one could like ALL the
films you mentioned for their various fine qualities, *including* FWaaF?
Hugh Grant was charming in Four Weddings. King George was wonderfully
done. Shawshank was original and beautifully acted. Pulp Fiction was
dark, macabre, and fascinating. Muriel's Wedding was a masterpiece of
elliptical observation; Quiz Show was a great story with that lovely actor
Ralph Fiennes. Before you go off half-cocked (am I giving you credit
here?) blasting American film tastes, take a moment to consider that you
live in a country that values television monstrosities such as Dallas,
Dynasty, and Melrose Place more highly than America ever has.

But rather than starting a culture war over the question of what is
entertaining, perhaps you could just back off the anti-American nastiness
and acknowledge that whether or not one likes a particular film or
television programme has less to do with citizenship than personal
preference.

'Ods bodkins, what is it about Hugh Grant that makes British men writhe
with distaste??

Alexa (who disdains signature 'Netiquette)

Satndol

May 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/13/95
Right. Bloody well right. Even my fave, Rowan Atkinson, was reduced to a
puddly mass of slime and not very funny either. Looked old too. Ah well,
to the video shop for Blackadder forever.

Pam Wells

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
In article <3p00nm$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> sca...@aol.com "Scapade" writes:

> [...] you live in a country that values television monstrosities such as

> Dallas, Dynasty, and Melrose Place more highly than America ever has.

It's a fair cop -- you got us bang to rights with Dallas and Dysentry, but
I'm not aware of Melrose Place being shown over here?

--
Pam Wells

Mr Brian Williams

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
Liz Hurley is no bimbo she has to be pretty smart to keep the interest of an
Oxford grad like Hugh Grant , after all he could go off and shag any piece of
Yankee totty he felt like.

Simon Newman

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95

I don't quite follow the reasoning here...
-Simon.

Ian Griffiths

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
Mr Brian Williams (mab...@mathssun5lancs.ac.uk) wrote:
: Liz Hurley is no bimbo she has to be pretty smart to keep the interest of an

: Oxford grad like Hugh Grant ,

Is he an Oxford University graduate? Good grief! What in? In the few
interviews I've heard him in, he's come across as faintly vacuous. Maybe
I caught him on a bad day.

--
Ian Griffiths - writing from but not for Madge Networks Limited

Simon Newman

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
In article <D8oFo...@madge1.madge.co.uk>, igri...@madge1.madge.co.uk (Ian Griffiths) says:

>Mr Brian Williams (mab...@mathssun5lancs.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Liz Hurley is no bimbo she has to be pretty smart to keep the interest of an
>: Oxford grad like Hugh Grant ,
>
>Is he an Oxford University graduate? Good grief! What in? In the few
>interviews I've heard him in, he's come across as faintly vacuous. Maybe
>I caught him on a bad day.

Sounds like you haven't met too many Oxford University graduates
- there are plenty of vacuous ones, I assure you.
-Simon.

Mr M D Warren

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
Pam Wells (Vacuou...@bitch.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: --
: Pam Wells

Yep...On Sky 1 I think...
Mike.

Liam Cairney

May 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/24/95
In article <3p00nm$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> sca...@aol.com "Scapade" writes:

> But rather than starting a culture war over the question of what is
> entertaining, perhaps you could just back off the anti-American nastiness
> and acknowledge that whether or not one likes a particular film or
> television programme has less to do with citizenship than personal
> preference.

My problem with 4WaaF is not that it indicates some inferiority that
a certain nationality would enjoy it -- it seemed to me that the
makers (mainly the writer) deliberately went out of his way to create
the whole thing to appeal to his preconceptions of what an international
audience (in real terms, American) would believe, or like to believe, life
was like in Britain.

Lots of middle-class twits, Scotsmen in kilts, bagpipes, upper-class
twits, rebellious punk girlies, twittering vicars... every sitcom cliche
from the past thirty years, basically.

And remember, it wasn't just the Americans who went to see the film
in droves. The Brits and various other countries flocked to it, too.

That's what hype does...

Liam.
====-
--
Liam Cairney -- li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk |"I'm not expendable, I'm
+++ .sig under construction. Business as usual +++| not stupid, and I'm not

gillian.hardy

May 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/24/95
Liam Cairney (Li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: 4WaaF
[sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!]

I liked it.

Gizz
(founder of the Anna Raeburn Rocks society, est. 23.5.95)
=== "If her bum was a bungalow === Gillian Hardy ===
=== she'd never get a mortgage === aa1...@sunderland.ac.uk ===
=== on it" - Victoria Wood === Defender of GOC and the ROY ===

Chris Harrison

May 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/26/95
Liam Cairney <Li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Which just goes to show, there's no accounting for taste... 8-)
>
>I should know, I like Hudson Hawk!
>
> Liam.
> ====-
Hey, don't knock it! A fine film!

chris.

==
The only things known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy,
according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you
can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no
gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore
pass to the heir *instantaneously*. Presumably, he said, there must be
some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do
this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight,
they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use
his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a
small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded
because, at that point, the bar closed.
- Mort, Terry Pratchett

Liam Cairney

May 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/26/95
In article <3q0ch8$h...@orac.sunderland.ac.uk>

aa1...@orac.sunderland.ac.uk "gillian.hardy" writes:
> Liam Cairney (Li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
> : 4WaaF
> [sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!]
>
> I liked it.
>
> Gizz

Which just goes to show, there's no accounting for taste... 8-)

I should know, I like Hudson Hawk!

Liam.
====-

--
Liam Cairney -- li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk |"I'm not expendable, I'm

Deryk Barker

May 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/26/95
gillian.hardy (aa1...@orac.sunderland.ac.uk) wrote:
: Liam Cairney (Li...@kerravon.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: : 4WaaF
: [sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!]

: I liked it.

Me too. The only thing wrong with it was casting Andie bloody McDowell
in a part which, unfortunately, required some sort of acting ability.

Andrew Wong

May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95
These were Liam Cairney's words of wisdom:

: My problem with 4WaaF is not that it indicates some inferiority that

: a certain nationality would enjoy it -- it seemed to me that the
: makers (mainly the writer) deliberately went out of his way to create
: the whole thing to appeal to his preconceptions of what an international
: audience (in real terms, American) would believe, or like to believe, life
: was like in Britain.

And the Americans have overindulged us with Beverley Hills 90210,
Melrose Place, Models Inc., Baywatch, Saved By The Bell:The College
Years etc. For once, it'd be nice to get our own back on them :-)

: Lots of middle-class twits, Scotsmen in kilts, bagpipes, upper-class

: twits, rebellious punk girlies, twittering vicars... every sitcom cliche
: from the past thirty years, basically.

: And remember, it wasn't just the Americans who went to see the film
: in droves. The Brits and various other countries flocked to it, too.
: That's what hype does...

The thing is, the film was actually rather good. Nothing to say about
life itself, but harmless entertainment with no background political
message, unlike Forrest G**p...
--
Andrew Wong Internet: ach...@bradford.ac.uk
-----x----- WWW: http://www.brad.ac.uk/%7Eachwong/