Visions 1993 Report from ...

The Doctor

Nov 29, 1993, 8:42:21 PM11/29/93

Memories of Visions

This is my report of Visions 1993: The People, The Guest and the Location.

As this is my first Visions Conference, I would like to say that is did
live up to expectation.

Arrival on Thursday Night: Video Room and Early Registration.
Travelling with me was Sean Samson. We arrived NOT knowing what to do
until Sean gave me the idea to call the O'Hare Hyatt. We waited for a
bus to pick us up and pick us up it did, sharing the way with the Seattle
Doctor Who Group.

We saw Red Dwarf Videos, the ORIGINAL BBC 2 Broadcast from Season 6.
WOW!!! What a great show. I want to get copies of Season 6. Also that
night was Blake's 7 "Hostage" and Moonbase 3's "Castor and Pollux".

Registration: I had some problems, but the staff at Visions was professional
and helpful. Way to go mates.

Early Friday, print up a copy of the Club's Listing and "try to make progress".

Friday, the Opening Ceremonies. Queueing up was very interesting. I met and
talk to a Briton from Trent on Life, the Universe and Everything. Very amusing
awards. Every guest got one. Fill in below if you remember who got what.

Next on my agenda was to attend the Fan Panel on Internet. We trickled in
slowly. This meeting was very well directed by Lee Whiteside. I was a very
entertaining and informative meeting indeed. Next year, I hope the fan
panels are announced and are better attended.

Next, off to a fan panel to see Carol Ann Ford and Sophie Aldred. Sophie asked
us what do we think about Doctor Who in U.S. hands. I responsed with using
the microphone saying that it should stay in U.K. hands. Amazingly enough
she noticed I was from the U.K. and asked if there were others from the U.K.
I asked Carol what she remembered of Syndey Newman. From here, we get
Sophie "Sharp Eyes" Aldred having to help the near-sighted and blind-sighted
Carol Ford on stage. She does remember Sydney, a short Canadian, who comple-
mented her on her portrayal of Susan. BTW when Canadian was mentioned, the
Canucks went crazy.

Next was an autograph session with the Lofficiers, J. Benthan (grandson of
Philosopher Bentham) and John Peel. I embarassingly mixed up John Peel for
Paul Cornell as having Internet access (sorry Paul). Lofficier is French,
a Frenchman from France, and wife Randy is a Strlog writer. Both helped
me in realizing that if I want to sent a Club's Listing of DW Clubs to Starlog
to Starlog, there is a certain address I must write to. Merci a vous deux.

After, I took a bend to the Fans Dealers Room, met many netters and clubbers.

During lunch, Anthony Ainley completed me for my dress sense and I remembered
him form Inspector Clouseau. Now who was that U.S. actor? Began with A.
(Later)

Fan Panel: I asked Davison whether or not he played Cricket. He does and
he DID bowl someone out. Also, he had a baseball bat for anyone with a stupid
question. Definitely NOT cricket. Oh Well Peter, you are NOT going to get
that opening on the British Team. :-)

Another interesting note: I got into a quick queue with Sophie Aldred for a
photographic oppportunity. Sophie did remember me from earlier. Oh! oh!

Late Evening, the Children in Need charity. $5 U.S. to see Dimensions in Time.
I insisted that Gary Downie take $10 U.S., because from my point of view the
Bulger Case and the Homeless. We saw the Part 2 with the lady, NOT with the
heavy Man. Anyways, drab I thought of the plot, but it WAS going to needy
children. In case you DON'T believe me, look up Carnaby Street in London,
or the "Tower Mall" in Liverpool.

End of Friday: b****y Yadallemania strikes again. Oh, Well, that's life.

Saturday, the MAD full swing. Dealers Rooms, photoops, Panels, the lot.
Move fast and often. Start, Carol Ford and William Russell autograph.
Fact, Carol is severely short-sighted, and I forgot to to W. R. Enoch to sign
his real name.

Mad lineups for Davidson/Baker photoops AND Bryant/Aldred photoops.
Baker complemented me for dress sense as a man of occasion and the older
ladies gave me a hug. While in line for B/A, I had a nice chat with a
fellow Chinese Briton. I love Britonnics.

Photoop with Levene/Padbury. John remembers me from 1988 and got to hug
the short mop. I remember him and say "News from Croydon, later". Sent
him and her giggling silly.

Photoop with Danny John-Jules. Whoa! An Englishman with John Bull spirit.
I say, what an extraordinary personality. A MUST meet! SURPRISE!

BTW, Visions 1994 wants to be devoted to Red Dwarf.

Photoop with Jan Chappel and Jacqueline Pearce. Bewarem, they do act sexy.
Wonder if they as well as Sophie and Nicola. Behaviour is perculiar for all 4.

Photoop with Ford/Russell. Late due to lack of food.

Question to Colin Baker: Whoops! He misunderstood. Later at an autograph
Session, he told me that his acting as a self-defense lawyer AND being one
in the past was coincidence. Are we sure? I do believe him as he is one
of the nicest people to be found.

Variety show: Interesting. Anthony in cabaret: A must see!
Jan Chappell had nothing prepared and said so :-).
Sophie and Nicola "Old DW had a farm", swore at the Dalek portion.
Nicola giving out a dirty story. Sophie a good singer.
W. Russell, J. Leeson and C. Ford doing a seen from Hamlet.
DJ-Jules being comic. Etc... Too much to remember.

Sunday Morning: Scramble! Got an autograph of N. Bryant and gave her a joke:
"What is the connection between Rupert Murdoch and Brighton? Page 3". You
have to be English to understand. A misquestion to the elder actresses. Slip!
Autograph Session with JNT, Chris Barry and Gary Downie. Last year if you
remember, I threw out some ideas for some projects on the net. JNT has said
that we will NOT be in trouble with the Beeb unless it involves profits. Also
mention was Johnny Byrne (Berne), Paul Cornell, Kate Orman and almost forgot
Douglas Adams (How dare I). Information: Byrne is currently doing a Yorkshire
60's based series. Can someone tell me what is is called.

Panel with DJJ: I asked him what it was like to work with David Bowie.
He said just a few to meet the guy, to record in Abbey road Studios.
He also said that he has a picture of him crossing the zig-zag crossing in
Abbey Road. QUICK! Upload that photo!

The final memento: The final photoops. Leeson/John-Jules (dog and Cat), DJJ
remembering me for dress sense and saluting me later, and the Ryan,
McCullough(sp?) and Abinieri. What a good bunch of jokers. The end of the
session Ryan noted the accent AND we also held the line up.

Visions: A chance to get together. Lovely time, esp photographing some new
friends who I never met before. I WILL let draw your attention soon: I have
2 shots left.

Also, the Britons whom I met: wonderful characters. Ian Parkes(sp) and Andrew
Wong, and the others, I will always remember you for sure. It was a pleasure
talking politics, education, society, et al. with you.

A Briton I was born and a Briton I will most honourable die.

Downside: PRICES AND TAXES at the hotel. OUCH! The GST in Alberta looks
more complementary. Visions MIGHT be in trouble, with a sales tax of > 7%.

Netters and others to mention:

Kevin Parker (ESIN)
Tom Beck (Prydonians)
(Guardians of Gallifrey, btw Sunshine, give us a brunch with Sophie report)
Geoffrey Toop, Edward Charpentier, Lisa Truant (DWIN).
(Connecticut, hope you get that BATCH Assembler file going)
(Midwest, sorry about that, I missed the invitation)
(Milwaukee, that for the corrections)
Lee Whiteside and Mrs. Elliot
Patricia Summers

C U ALL

# dr...@galcon.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (The Doctor)
# galcon - The Gallifrey Connection 1-403-473-7263
# raiding all ftp sites in existence

Kimberly D Ashford

Nov 30, 1993, 7:53:46 PM11/30/93
Tom Beck, are you on this newsgroup?

Kim Ashford
thes...@dolphin.upenn.edu

--
"My dear, there are very few people I dislike. But we won't
talk about them--hmm?"

Laura Dunham

Dec 2, 1993, 8:32:01 PM12/2/93
That was a good review from everyone's favorite sysop, Dave. I'll
give him that much even if he did make me guess his name on the shuttle
to the Hotel...

The only award I remember them giving was the diaper award to John Levene...
Or was that "the Baby-face" award... nevermind

Laura

--
Life is a rat race, time is the maze.

rrot...@vax.cord.edu

Dec 3, 1993, 4:26:11 PM12/3/93
In article <2dgpuq$8...@netnews.upenn.edu>, thes...@dolphin.upenn.edu (Kimberly D Ashford) write >
(deleted stuff)

>"My dear, there are very few people I dislike. But we won't
> talk about them--hmm?"
> ---The Desert Peach

This quote came from the tv show "Probe", did it not? Episode with the
talk-show host, power of suggestion, and a really awful portrayal of Witches.
Rimmer salute!
Toaster Uyu...@aol.com
rrot...@vax.cord.edu

Kimberly D Ashford

Dec 3, 1993, 6:09:58 PM12/3/93

It's actually from a 'Desert Peach' t-shirt. For those of you who've
never heard of The Desert Peach, it's a comic book--the lead character
is, and I quote, "the Desert Fox's pretty brother". Any other Peach
fans out there? E-mail me, or I'll force you to eat some of Corporal
Kruger's cooking...

Chad Lawson

Dec 5, 1993, 2:04:14 AM12/5/93
>>"My dear, there are very few people I dislike. But we won't
>> talk about them--hmm?"
>> ---The Desert Peach
>
>This quote came from the tv show "Probe", did it not? Episode with the
>talk-show host, power of suggestion, and a really awful portrayal of Witches.
>Rimmer salute!
>Toaster Uyu...@aol.com
> rrot...@vax.cord.edu

Umm....Not to the best of my knowledge...I have the epsiode on tape...and
by the time this post hits the net I will be sure.

HOWEVER...I am GLAD to see I am not the ONLY one who apreciated that show!!!

And I am glad to see I am not the only one with the uncanny ability to site
sources of quotes like that...

Chad Lawson

| "Imitate the action of the tiger.
Chad Lawson | Stiffen up the sinews, conjure up the blood
cdla...@ilstu.edu | Disguise fair nature with hard-favored rage..
| Then lend the eye a terrible aspect!"

dr...@galcon.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca

Dec 4, 1993, 8:38:41 PM12/4/93
thes...@dolphin.upenn.edu (Kimberly D Ashford) writes:

> Tom Beck, are you on this newsgroup?
>
> Kim Ashford
> thes...@dolphin.upenn.edu

I did meet up with Tom last week, and apparantly, he has 0 net access.

I could be wrong, so I crosspost to appropriate newsgroups.

--
God save the Queen! God bless and save us all!!
Remeber, Jesus saves all souls from eternal damnation!

Dale Clayton

Dec 2, 1993, 10:41:00 PM12/2/93
-> Information: Byrne is currently doing a Yorkshire 60's based series.

Can someone tell me what is is called.

Would that happen to be "All Creatures Great and Small"?

If someone has any info on this series being continued, please post it!

Regards,
Dale Clayton
-----------------------
dale.c...@canrem.com

David McAnally

Dec 8, 1993, 9:58:42 PM12/8/93
In article <60.15366.41...@canrem.com> dale.c...@canrem.com (Dale Clayton) writes:
>-> Information: Byrne is currently doing a Yorkshire 60's based series.
> Can someone tell me what is is called.
>

> Would that happen to be "All Creatures Great and Small"?

Sounds more like "Heartbeat". As far as I know, "All Creatures" was
still in the 50's at the end of the last season.

David McAnally

Louis Galvez III

Dec 9, 1993, 12:18:01 AM12/9/93
You know that we the Comittee of the Visions seem to be the only ones you
didn't thank. Whats'up (Humor)

--
lou...@rci.ripco.com
I am not

The Doctor

Dec 12, 1993, 9:21:07 AM12/12/93
n904...@henson.cc.wwu.edu (Laura Dunham) writes:

> That was a good review from everyone's favorite sysop, Dave. I'll
> give him that much even if he did make me guess his name on the shuttle
> to the Hotel...

Ha! Ha! That training at Sandhurst did me some good.

I am trouble anywhere I go.

Anyways, nice meeting you.

> The only award I remember them giving was the diaper award to John Levene...
> Or was that "the Baby-face" award... nevermind

Memories of each individual:

Danny J-Jules: Won best Dress award?, Haggled anti-Red Dwarf Fans,
joked at the Variety show, and SURPRISE!! and Englishman.

Anthony Ainley: Won the best Master award, loved the White Cabaret (should have
taken my copy of the Union Jack), forgot Alan Arkin, former
Insurance Broker.

Peter Davison: Won Sporting Award, Ended up singing haggishly, and he DOES play
Cricket (Bowl me over!)

Colin Baker: Won best coup Award, Has X cats Y bathrooms ... , Loved his
FACTUAL and humourous dissertation on botched English.

Sophie Aldred: Won best Weightlifter award, 2 acts, her alongside Nicola Bryant
for Oh! MacDonald! (Memories of Coulsden) and solo act!

Nicola Bryant: Won best Companion to deal again the Master, SWORE alot at the
Variety show, questionably dreesed on Sunday (I say, wasn't
that a little scant?) but got to her with my Murdoch, Brighton,
Page 3 joke.

Beware, if you ever meet Sophie and Nicola on Brighton Beach, you could end up
being Psirened.

Elizabeth Sladen: won best Athletic award, has a good performance on stage
with daugther Sadie, overall nice.

John Levene: Typical as ever, won the Natural ad-lib Award, hosted Variety Show,
and always a Fan Favourite.

Wendy Padbury: won best IQ award, she is SO SMALL that you carry her as a dummy
in a briefcase and the Nicola could eclipse her.

John Leeson: won award ????, dissertation galore, was on stage for Shakespeare.

William Russell: won best Beatle's Fan award, did a good Polonius on stage.

Carol Ann Ford : Won best screecher award, good Ophelia, and remebers Syndey
Newman.

Jan Chappell: won best award for lady in action, staged a non-show at the
Variety, and she too is as cheeky as Nicola and Sophie.

Jacqueline Pearce: won best subtlety award, did a Dynasty solo sketch and
also as cheeky as Chappell, Bryant and Alderd.

John Abineri: Won an award that compared him to Bullwinkle, had and
interesting Variety with the other 2 Robin men.

Reg Ryan: Won best shot award, Part of the Robin Hood team, and interesting
Joker.

Brian McCollough: Won best ruthless award, part of the singers of Hood,
Lived in L.B. Croydon.

John Nathan-Turner: won best loud shirt contest, asng and ventriloquize at
Variety and interesting person to have a 1-on-1 with.

Gary Downie: Best Award for keeping McCoy awake, Darn good singer, and
another for the 1-on-1 conversations.

Christopher Barry: Best memory Award, Good singer (?) and interesting chatter.

Jeremy Bentham: Loved his EYE comment on Award, loved his slide show and
bad songs, and interesting performer.

John Peel: mixed him up with Cornell, dissertation at variety and Won best
author goes.

The L'Officiers: Well verse in French (J-M is from France), can't remember
seeing them at Variety.

Bill Baggs: ????

Anyone else ?

> Laura
>
> --
> Life is a rat race, time is the maze.

Then again...

The Doctor

Dec 14, 1993, 8:57:39 AM12/14/93

I do believe that in my initial report that I said the staff was very good to
me, esp. early mixups.

If I missed it, I apologize.