More on B7 Zines

dkl...@zodiac.rutgers.edu

Apr 16, 1992, 5:25:44 PM4/16/92

The posting from "ekho...@cybernet.ces.fau.edu" about
Blake's 7 fanzines is VERY outdated. The later posting from Steven Saliman
was somewhat more accurate, but still incomplete.

For the most current information about fanzines in ANY
fandom, you should get a fanzine-listings 'zine. I currently
subscribe to:

FYI
Wizard Works, c/o Jan Keeler,
22440 Dickinson Rd.
New Boston, MI 48164-9707
which is $14 per year, quarterly publication
and
The Monthly, c/o Lynda K. Roper
P.O. Box 34922
Richmond, VA 23234
which is $3 per issue, mailed anywhere, monthly publication

In my experience, both of these adzines are on time and accurate.
(Disclaimer: I have no connection with either, I'm just a
satisfied customer.)

If you want the inside scoop on the zines in a fandom, you
have to ask around. Most zine-buying fans will eagerly tell a
newcomer which editors are reliable and send stuff promptly, and
which are "experiencing shipping delays", as well as which zines
have the most bang for the buck.

My corrections and comments on the previously-posted list
follow, in no particular order. All are IMHO and In My
Experience. I've no connection to any of these editors.

Gambit: Jean Graham is in the same place, but her postman thinks
she doesn't exist. If your letter to her gets returned, discuss
this (firmly!) with your local PO. Jean is very good at sending
zines promptly, in my experience.

Magnificent Seven: Now sold by Bill Hupe, 6273 Balfour, Lansing,
MI, 48911.

Oblaque: Now sold by Oblique Productions, PO Box 335, 1007 N.
Sepulveda Blvd., Manhattan Beach, CA 90266.

Powerplay: try Bea Quindlin, 1243 E. Durham St., Philadelphia,
PA, unknown ZIP. Last known issue was #7 several years ago.
Probably out of print. The later issues went downhill. #7 had a
recycled cover (leftovers from previous issues) and no
interior art to speak of.

Southern Seven: Currently, shipping delay of five months (and
counting) on new zines.

Destiny, etc.: Adrian Morgan and Brendan O'Cullane had a parting
of ways, and each claimed the other had the money and list of who
had paid for the zines. A lot of fans, myself included, lost
money to these two. Ann Wortham now publishes Destiny and
Different Destinies.

5th Season: Sheila Willis is notorious for cashing checks and
never sending the zines. Buy them in person, and don't fall for
the "I'll ship them when I get home" line. Friends of mine have
been waiting for more than two years. Bill Hupe may be handling
these zines now.

B7 Complex: There are rumors of someone else maybe reprinting
it. Try Bill Hupe. Hot on everyone's want-list.

I have no information, either good or bad, about the rest of
ekho's list.

In general, the fastest way to get out-of-print zines is to
send a SASE to fans selling off their old zines. B7 was hot two
to four years ago, and many of us who were into it then have
better uses for our shelfspace now. Again, this information is
found in fanzine listings! (E-mail me if you want my sale list -
- it's a couple of pages.)
A note: If you buy used zines, it's a good idea to ask for
a statement of authenticity. The unscrupulous have been known to
photocopy zines and sell the copies as the genuine article. This is unfair
to the original editor, who probably still has a stack sitting in a
corner, and to other fans trying to sell their collections.
Dotty Klein DKL...@zodiac.rutgers.edu