OT: Whoo-hoo!

1 view

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 10, 2000, 3:21:06 PM12/10/00
As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.

(And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled about
this.)

~*Becky "Gypsy Jr." Mroczkowski*~
AND Spike and Angel, the rats of RATMM
"JFK was a donut, Carter was really flakey, and Clinton waffles on the issue" -
RATMM's own ReaperG, defining our nation's secret pastry infrastructure
MSTie #67948

susan_...@my-deja.com

Dec 10, 2000, 4:18:30 PM12/10/00
In article <20001210152106...@ng-fj1.aol.com>,

gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
>
> (And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled
about
> this.)

Well, as we speak, it is raining in South Florida! Yuck. Although
hopefully it will help our water situation, we are under the first set
of restrictions. And did I happen to mention that I went to our
company picnic yesterday, and was one of the few people not wearing
shorts?

Winter in Florida rules!

Susan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Hopkins

Dec 11, 2000, 7:24:31 AM12/11/00
"Gypsy Jr." wrote:

> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
>
> (And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled about
> this.)

I just drove to work in the beginnings of what they're forecasting as a
12" snowfall, so forgive me if I'm not quite so thrilled. =}

Going home is going to be s-l-o-w today.....

Yers,
/John

Bodger

Dec 11, 2000, 8:56:07 AM12/11/00

Gypsy Jr. <gypsy...@aol.compost> wrote in message

> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
>
> (And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled
about
> this.)

Eh, it'd have been better if it stuck. Now not only am I going to school, I
get to go with a bunch of kids who are going to gripe about it not sticking.
Ugh.

Bodger
"It was kinda nifty, though. But it's bloody cold now..."

James A. Wolf

Dec 11, 2000, 11:13:55 AM12/11/00
gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:

>As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
>
>(And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled about
>this.)

Well, we've had a couple of dustings here in the Bay State....
--

<*> James A. Wolf - jaw...@mediaone.net - people.ne.mediaone.net/jawolf <*>

The jawbone of an ass is | Count first, and rule upon legality afterwards is
just as dangerous a weapon| not a recipe for producing election results that
today as in Samson's time.| the public acceptance democratic stability requires.
Richard M. Nixon | Justice Anton Scalia 531 U.S. ___(2000)

Gbobolink

Dec 11, 2000, 11:21:50 AM12/11/00
>Eh, it'd have been better if it stuck. Now not only am I going to school, I
>get to go with a bunch of kids who are going to gripe about it not sticking.
>Ugh.

Ha ha! Snow day in Central Illinois! Ice everywhere, so I get to sit at home
and play on the internet all day!

Darth Kirby
At least it ain't like that crappy Nickelodeon movie.

Nemo

Dec 11, 2000, 1:08:41 PM12/11/00
In article <20001210152106...@ng-fj1.aol.com>,
gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
>
> (And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled
about
> this.)

Um, yup. As we speak, there is freezing rain in St. Louis, turning over
to snow later. I live at the top of a steep hill. This is not so good.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I hope it doesn't interfere with me getting to
finals.)
--
"I kill dumb people."--flaming cat
"We're going camping, and you're gonna watch."--Mike, "Boggy Creek II"

KSK

Dec 11, 2000, 3:57:53 PM12/11/00
In article <20001210152106...@ng-fj1.aol.com> ,
gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:

> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
>
> (And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled about
> this.)

It may snow in Dallas tonight, which means traffic accidents galore as the
natives struggle against maybe 1/2 inch of accumulation ...

_______________
Kevin S. Kirby
k...@airmail.net

"Bart Fargo -IS- 'Hard to ... Watch!'"

Crow, MST3K, Ep. 620, "Danger!! Death Ray"

Judith Jacobs

Dec 11, 2000, 5:27:14 PM12/11/00
"James A. Wolf" wrote:

> gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
>
> >As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
> >
> >(And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be thrilled about
> >this.)
> >

> Well, we've had a couple of dustings here in the Bay State....

BLIZZARD!

--Judith of Michigan

Jonah Falcon

Dec 11, 2000, 6:06:32 PM12/11/00
Wow. All flights to Chicago cancelled.

"Judith Jacobs" <jaco...@engin.umich.edu> wrote in message

Andrew

Dec 11, 2000, 6:29:09 PM12/11/00

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Nemo wrote:

:In article <20001210152106...@ng-fj1.aol.com>,

: gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
:> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
:>
:
:Um, yup. As we speak, there is freezing rain in St. Louis, turning over
:to snow later. I live at the top of a steep hill. This is not so good.

As it is in Columbia. Nine Degrees for a high? More reason to stay in bed.
Otherwise, I'm gonna have to get out my steel belted tennis shoes.

:
:Eric "Nemo" Granger (I hope it doesn't interfere with me getting to
:finals.)

---Andrew K., who hopes it doesn't prevent me from getting *home* by
Christmas...

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 11, 2000, 10:11:04 PM12/11/00
Well... it snowed for about an hour, stopped, and none of it stuck. Oh well.

My brother's flying in christmas eve from NY after a stopover in the midwest...
I hope he makes it ok!

(and no, before you say it, my brother isn;t Santa.)

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 11, 2000, 10:46:32 PM12/11/00

>Eh, it'd have been better if it stuck. Now not only am I going to school, I
>get to go with a bunch of kids who are going to gripe about it not sticking.
>Ugh.

You're in WA Bodger? Where??

Bodger

Dec 12, 2000, 1:13:08 AM12/12/00

> >Eh, it'd have been better if it stuck. Now not only am I going to
school, I
> >get to go with a bunch of kids who are going to gripe about it not
sticking.
> >Ugh.
> >

> You're in WA Bodger? Where??

Not far outside Renton on the outskirts of Seattle. I'm near a little
shopping complex called Fairwood of which the "wood" part is becoming
increasingly less accurate as more and more apartment complexes are put up.
Blargh.

Bodger
"So we both get to be bombarded by newsanchors lamenting the loss of A-Rod.
Whoopee."

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 12, 2000, 1:32:56 AM12/12/00

>Not far outside Renton on the outskirts of Seattle. I'm near a little
>shopping complex called Fairwood of which the "wood" part is becoming
>increasingly less accurate as more and more apartment complexes are put up.
>Blargh.

Cool. I'm in Bremerton, or as I affectionately refer to it, "Bummertown" :)

>"So we both get to be bombarded by newsanchors lamenting the loss of A-Rod.
>Whoopee."

Tell me about it. Like my mom said (MANY TIMES) they did fine without Griffey
and they'll do fine without Rodriguez.

Nemo

Dec 12, 2000, 1:42:04 AM12/12/00
In article <Pine.A41.4.10.10012111727090.54316-
100...@sp2n23.missouri.edu>,

ark...@mizzou.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Nemo wrote:
>
> :In article <20001210152106...@ng-fj1.aol.com>,
> : gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
> :> As we speak, it is snowing in Western Washington.
> :>
> :> (And yes, I'm probably the only non-school aged person to be
thrilled
> :about
> :> this.)
> :
> :Um, yup. As we speak, there is freezing rain in St. Louis, turning
over
> :to snow later. I live at the top of a steep hill. This is not so
good.

> As it is in Columbia. Nine Degrees for a high? More reason to stay in
bed.
> Otherwise, I'm gonna have to get out my steel belted tennis shoes.

Wow, is that how bad it is there? I thought we were at least getting up
to the teens in MO, at least this far south. Truman is pretty well
screwed as well as NMSU. But during my one year at Truman, I had a
rule. I didn't go to class if the temp was a single digit. I missed a
lot of class at the beginning of the semester.

> :
> :Eric "Nemo" Granger (I hope it doesn't interfere with me getting to
> :finals.)
>
> ---Andrew K., who hopes it doesn't prevent me from getting *home* by
> Christmas...

No, that storm is still coming...

Eric "Nemo" Granger (Windy as hell out there now...)

John Hopkins

Dec 12, 2000, 6:58:34 AM12/12/00
Jonah Falcon wrote:

> Wow. All flights to Chicago cancelled.

Lots of trips home cancelled too! Three of our workers were put up in a
local hotel overnight...

Yers,
/John of the Chicago Shiverin'

Nemo

Dec 12, 2000, 6:36:25 PM12/12/00
In article <20001212013256...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,

gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:

> >Not far outside Renton on the outskirts of Seattle. I'm near a
little
> >shopping complex called Fairwood of which the "wood" part is becoming
> >increasingly less accurate as more and more apartment complexes are
put up.
> >Blargh.
> >

> Cool. I'm in Bremerton, or as I affectionately refer to
it, "Bummertown" :)

> >"So we both get to be bombarded by newsanchors lamenting the loss of
A-Rod.
> >Whoopee."

I think the greater loss is my loss of whatever respect I had left for
sports when Rodriguez signed that $252 million contract. He hits a ball
with a bat. Whoop-e-doo. If that's worth $252 million, then imagine how
much working at something PRACTICAL should be worth.

> Tell me about it. Like my mom said (MANY TIMES) they did fine without
Griffey
> and they'll do fine without Rodriguez.

There is no "I" in team. Nor is there an A, R, O or D.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (That spells A-Rod by the way, in case I wasn't
clear.)

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 12, 2000, 9:21:28 PM12/12/00

Nemo <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <20001212013256...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,
> gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
> > >
> > >Not far outside Renton on the outskirts of Seattle. I'm near a
> little
> > >shopping complex called Fairwood of which the "wood" part is becoming
> > >increasingly less accurate as more and more apartment complexes are
> put up.
> > >Blargh.
> > >

> > Cool. I'm in Bremerton, or as I affectionately refer to
> it, "Bummertown" :)
> >
> > >"So we both get to be bombarded by newsanchors lamenting the loss of
> A-Rod.
> > >Whoopee."
>
> I think the greater loss is my loss of whatever respect I had left for
> sports when Rodriguez signed that $252 million contract. He hits a ball
> with a bat. Whoop-e-doo. If that's worth $252 million, then imagine how
> much working at something PRACTICAL should be worth.

Well, it'll be hard for him to get work as a baseball player if he stops
hitting a ball with a bat. I've talked to a number of recruiters, and they
consider this a top priority among ballplayers. They refuse to budge on that
one.

And if someone is getting $252 million (over ten years, by the way), it's
because the franchise is pulling in far more than that. I mean, it's
possible the entire front office hocked their jewelry and took out another
mortgage, but somehow I just doubt it.

> > Tell me about it. Like my mom said (MANY TIMES) they did fine without
> Griffey
> > and they'll do fine without Rodriguez.
>
> There is no "I" in team. Nor is there an A, R, O or D.

"When I am King, I will change the spelling of "team" to "teim," so there
will finally be an 'I' in it." (5 pts.)

--
"Jester! Bring me a shank of animal!"
-- Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot

Michael R. Flavin

Dec 12, 2000, 9:34:35 PM12/12/00

"Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message

> There is no "I" in team. Nor is there an A, R, O or D.

Um....there's an A. However, there's still no "rod" in "team."

Michael

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 12, 2000, 9:41:45 PM12/12/00
In article <916cpo$b53$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Nemo <mrbl...@aol.com>
wrote:

> There is no "I" in team. Nor is there an A, R, O or D.

Well, except for the "A," as in "A lot of money."

I think the headline on an L.A. Times column today pretty much said it
all: "By paying way too much for three players (Rodriguez, Dreifort and
Appier) in one day, baseball has just signed its death warrant."

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> is looking up.

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 12, 2000, 9:55:59 PM12/12/00

>I think the greater loss is my loss of whatever respect I had left for
>sports when Rodriguez signed that $252 million contract. He hits a ball
>with a bat. Whoop-e-doo. If that's worth $252 million, then imagine how
>much working at something PRACTICAL should be worth.

I was talking about thid with a friend last night... her family is living
paycheck-to paycheck, and my dad works in an industry where he could basically
be laid off at any minute. When a baseball player makes more sitting in the
dugout picking his nose than our parents and spouses will in an entire year,
someone's value system needs a check-up...

Derek Janssen

Dec 12, 2000, 10:06:47 PM12/12/00
Nemo wrote:

> > Tell me about it. Like my mom said (MANY TIMES) they did fine without
> Griffey
> > and they'll do fine without Rodriguez.
>
> There is no "I" in team.

...Well, there's no "U" in it, either, so stay outta this!

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Chris Mehring

Dec 12, 2000, 10:46:02 PM12/12/00
Somehow, The Midnight Rambler got this message out of Ward E:

Actually, Ranger ownership has brought in money not just the usual way (ie,
ticket sales, $10 hot dogs, advertising on every available space of fence,
field, seat, and urinal etc.) but also with some real estate deals on the land
surrounding The Ballpark at Arlington.

>> > Tell me about it. Like my mom said (MANY TIMES) they did fine without
>> Griffey
>> > and they'll do fine without Rodriguez.
>>
>> There is no "I" in team. Nor is there an A, R, O or D.
>
>"When I am King, I will change the spelling of "team" to "teim," so there
>will finally be an 'I' in it." (5 pts.)

Adam Carrola on _The Man Show_

>"Jester! Bring me a shank of animal!"

Chris "Housekeeping Tips from Porn Stars" Mehring

The HHH of D-Generation X 3000.
"Because I am that damn good!"--The real HHH
"Must Win? World War II was a must win."-- Marv Levy, ex-Buffalo Bills coach.
To reply e-mail address must be "pepsi" free.

Chris Mehring

Dec 12, 2000, 11:06:57 PM12/12/00
Somehow, Gypsy Jr. got this message out of Ward E:

>>I think the greater loss is my loss of whatever respect I had left for
>>sports when Rodriguez signed that $252 million contract. He hits a ball
>>with a bat. Whoop-e-doo. If that's worth $252 million, then imagine how
>>much working at something PRACTICAL should be worth.
>>

>I was talking about thid with a friend last night... her family is living
>paycheck-to paycheck, and my dad works in an industry where he could
>basically
>be laid off at any minute. When a baseball player makes more sitting in the
>dugout picking his nose than our parents and spouses will in an entire year,
>someone's value system needs a check-up...

Find a copy of Roger Kahn's _Boys of Summer_; or either of David Halberstam's
baseball books (_Summer of '48_ and _October 1964_). Read of a time when
ballplayers rode the subway to work, worked in beer distributorships during the
off-season, and took time to get to know the fans.

Or on the flip side, read of a time when owners cut player salaries after great
seasons and kept players as their property thanks to the reserve clause.

Baseball is a great game and I dearly love it. However, it is headed for an
Armageddon. There will probably be a work stoppage after the next World
Series. Baseball will shut down for at least two years. The Owners will try
to break the union with replacement players. Baseball will drop even farther
off the radar screen. A-Rod will be lucky to collect two seasons of that
contract.

Finally, I will not fault A-Rod for taking the money. The owners are to blame
for offering this much money. One of my favorite quotes of all time was made
by Art Modell (I believe).

"The dumbest football owner is still smarter than the smartest baseball owner"

Chris "And I want to work at a higher level in baseball" Mehring

Tammy Stephanie Davis

Dec 12, 2000, 11:09:09 PM12/12/00
In article <916cpo$b53$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Nemo <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote:
:In article <20001212013256...@ng-fa1.aol.com>,

: gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) wrote:
:> >
[...]

Actually the problem is is that the Rangers - like most everyone
else in Baseball - needed *pitching*. Now that they've practically
broke the bank/salary cap/whatever for a hitter, how are they going
to pay for some pitching? That's right - they don't.

---TSD(Baseball is becoming crappier every year....)

Nemo

Dec 13, 2000, 12:44:49 AM12/13/00
In article <916mkh$t2s$1...@newsfeeds.rpi.edu>,

...oh, well shit! I've got to start proofreading these things
better. "There's no 'a' in team." Good grief.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (There's no A-ROD in team.)

Nemo

Dec 13, 2000, 12:43:09 AM12/13/00
In article <20001212230657...@ng-fu1.aol.com>,

Good. Then Major League Baseball will collapse, and a new major league
will rise from the ashes, starting the pattern all over again.

> Finally, I will not fault A-Rod for taking the money. The owners are
to blame
> for offering this much money. One of my favorite quotes of all time
was made
> by Art Modell (I believe).
>
> "The dumbest football owner is still smarter than the smartest
baseball owner"

Uuuuh, I dunno about that one. It's not like football owners are smart
enough to keep players at a decent level. They just have a salary cap,
that's all. They might be doing a little better than baseball, but not
much. If football owners were doing so good, then teams wouldn't be
moving around like circuses.

> Chris "And I want to work at a higher level in baseball" Mehring

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want to work in ANY level of hockey.)

Nemo

Dec 13, 2000, 12:36:08 AM12/13/00
In article <I2BZ5.19706$x6.11...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,

Tell that to the Cardinals catchers (Mike Matheny not included).
Apparently getting a hit 18% of the time is the best they can do.
Anyway, Captain I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob, IF Alex Rodriguez IS
worth $252 million over 10 years, then what are you worth in YOUR job?
Frankly, I think I've got be worth at least $200 million working at my
gas station.

> And if someone is getting $252 million (over ten years, by the way),
it's
> because the franchise is pulling in far more than that. I mean, it's
> possible the entire front office hocked their jewelry and took out
another
> mortgage, but somehow I just doubt it.

True, but he is now worth as much as the Twins and the Phillies
combined. SportsCenter said so.

> > > Tell me about it. Like my mom said (MANY TIMES) they did fine
without
> > Griffey
> > > and they'll do fine without Rodriguez.
> >
> > There is no "I" in team. Nor is there an A, R, O or D.
>
> "When I am King, I will change the spelling of "team" to "teim," so
there
> will finally be an 'I' in it." (5 pts.)

I dunno.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (Laugh if you will, but *I* wouldn't be asking for
$252 million over 10 years if I were him.)

Chris Mehring

Dec 13, 2000, 3:20:28 AM12/13/00
Somehow, Nemo got this message out of Ward E:

>In article <20001212230657...@ng-fu1.aol.com>,
> cmehr...@aol.compepsi (Chris Mehring) wrote:
>> Somehow, Gypsy Jr. got this message out of Ward E:

{Gypsy Jr's story of a reaction to Alex Rodriguez signing of a 10 year $252
Million contract snipped}

{My response Snipped to the point of...}

>> Baseball is a great game and I dearly love it. However, it is headed
>for an
>> Armageddon. There will probably be a work stoppage after the next
>World
>> Series. Baseball will shut down for at least two years. The Owners
>will try
>> to break the union with replacement players. Baseball will drop even
>farther
>> off the radar screen. A-Rod will be lucky to collect two seasons of
>that
>> contract.
>
>Good. Then Major League Baseball will collapse, and a new major league
>will rise from the ashes, starting the pattern all over again.

Maybe Vince MacMahon should start and XBL (Xtreme Baseball League).

>> Finally, I will not fault A-Rod for taking the money. The owners are
>to blame
>> for offering this much money. One of my favorite quotes of all time
>was made
>> by Art Modell (I believe).
>>
>> "The dumbest football owner is still smarter than the smartest
>baseball owner"
>
>Uuuuh, I dunno about that one. It's not like football owners are smart
>enough to keep players at a decent level. They just have a salary cap,
>that's all. They might be doing a little better than baseball, but not
>much. If football owners were doing so good, then teams wouldn't be
>moving around like circuses.

IMO, Football is doing more than a little better than baseball. The NFL is the
National Pastime. Baseball is well behind.

If you look at the football franchise movements -- as stupid as some of them
have been (Baltimore to Indianapolis; Cleveland to Baltimore; Oakland to LA
back to Oakland) -- they have been successful. Take your own backyard, Nemo.

The Rams had next to zero following in LA. They move to St. Louis, get a brand
new stadium, a rabid season ticket base in a city that never should have lost
the football Cardinals, and within three or four years, they are the Super Bowl
Champions.

Football owners are moving around to get the best deal (READ: As much public
money up front and as big a revenue stream as possible). Once the Arizona
Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings situations are settled (LA Cardinals? San
Antonio Vikings?) the franchise movement should cease.

Where football owners get in trouble is when they try to get around the salary
cap. That's why the Cowboys and the 49ers are in the state that they are.

Football owners are smarter than baseball owners because they know the key to a
healthy league is labor peace. Baseball owners (and the baseball players
union) seem to be intent on killing the golden goose only to get $20 more on
their per diem.

>> Chris "And I want to work at a higher level in baseball" Mehring
>
>Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want to work in ANY level of hockey.)

Which one. I know a few people in lower levels. Do you have any experience?
Tickets? Promotions?

Chris "ratmm job board?" Mehring

Michael R. Flavin

Dec 13, 2000, 4:12:34 AM12/13/00

"Chris Mehring" <cmehr...@aol.compepsi> wrote in message

> IMO, Football is doing more than a little better than baseball. The NFL
is the
> National Pastime. Baseball is well behind.

If I may post my personal opinion:
Long live baseball! Football is nothing! Baseball is, always has been, and
always shall be our national pastime. I could make comments about the
relative merits of the two sports, but that would be my opinion only.
Suffice it to say that I watch the World Series almost every year, but I
have never watched more than a few minutes of the Super Bowl.

Michael

Joe B

Dec 13, 2000, 8:13:05 AM12/13/00

"Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message

This is either the weirdest flame I've ever read or I ate too much granola
this morning...

But, I'm begging you Rob, will you please change your online handle to
"Captain I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob".

> IF Alex Rodriguez IS
> worth $252 million over 10 years, then what are you worth in YOUR job?
> Frankly, I think I've got be worth at least $200 million working at my
> gas station.

I would honestly say that depends on how many people come to the gas station
and pay to watch you work, how many jerseys the gas station has sold simply
because they have the word "Nemo" emblazoned across the back, and how much
revenue the gas station has generated by selling the television rights to
air video of you pumping gas.

If the gas station is generating revenues of over $75 million per year from
any one of the above methods, I'd recommend you ask for a raise.

---
Joe B - #41642
I came to the realization tonight that you are a
hallucination resulting from my indulgence in a Sara
Lee German chocolate cake.
-Alicia

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 13, 2000, 1:16:06 PM12/13/00

>Finally, I will not fault A-Rod for taking the money. The owners are to
>blame
>for offering this much money.

I agree. I like A-Rod; he was one of my favorite Mariners...but he would have
been crazy to turn down an offer like that.

(At least the M's still have Jay Buhner...)

Nemo

Dec 13, 2000, 6:20:12 PM12/13/00
In article <3a377539$0$62394$45be...@newscene.com>,

Or, it was a joke. You may have eaten too much granola as well, but I
mean absolutely no ill will towards Rob.

> But, I'm begging you Rob, will you please change your online handle to
> "Captain I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob".

That might actually be kinda cool.

> > IF Alex Rodriguez IS
> > worth $252 million over 10 years, then what are you worth in YOUR
job?
> > Frankly, I think I've got be worth at least $200 million working at
my
> > gas station.
>
> I would honestly say that depends on how many people come to the gas
station
> and pay to watch you work, how many jerseys the gas station has sold
simply
> because they have the word "Nemo" emblazoned across the back, and how
much
> revenue the gas station has generated by selling the television
rights to
> air video of you pumping gas.
>
> If the gas station is generating revenues of over $75 million per
year from
> any one of the above methods, I'd recommend you ask for a raise.

Baseball players generate revenues of $75 million per year because we
are stupid enough to pay $150 for a jersey, $30 for a ticket (depending
on your team), and the fact that most of us *have* to watch games on TV
because we can't afford to go to games. What good is sports if only the
upper class can afford to make attending a sporting even more than an
anuual event? $25 million/year contracts help fuel my disillusionment.
Give me one good reason (and I mean GOOD) as to why Alex Rodriguez
deserves to make $252 million.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I know I'm speaking in "should be" instead
of "is," but sports should not be excluding their fans like this just
to snap up corporate money.)

Nemo

Dec 13, 2000, 6:28:22 PM12/13/00
In article <20001213032028...@ng-fw1.aol.com>,

*shudder*

I just wonder how long it is before football outprices itself as well.
I've been to one Rams game since they came here. It's pretty pricey.

> Football owners are moving around to get the best deal (READ: As
much public
> money up front and as big a revenue stream as possible). Once the
Arizona
> Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings situations are settled (LA
Cardinals? San
> Antonio Vikings?) the franchise movement should cease.

For a little while...until the new stadiums get old or a small market
team starts to suck. Eventually the NFL, NHL, MLB, & NBA will be forced
to start shrinking again or disappear altogether. That's just IMHO.

> Where football owners get in trouble is when they try to get around
the salary
> cap. That's why the Cowboys and the 49ers are in the state that they
are.

> Football owners are smarter than baseball owners because they know
the key to a
> healthy league is labor peace.

Very true. It's always an uneasy peace, though.

> Baseball owners (and the baseball players
> union) seem to be intent on killing the golden goose only to get $20
more on
> their per diem.
>
> >> Chris "And I want to work at a higher level in baseball" Mehring
> >
> >Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want to work in ANY level of hockey.)
>
> Which one. I know a few people in lower levels. Do you have any
experience?
> Tickets? Promotions?

Let me be more specific. I want to work for an NHL team, but I'm aiming
for public relations. At least that's what I'm studying in college.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want to be GM of the Blues, yeah, that's the
ticket.)

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 13, 2000, 6:41:12 PM12/13/00
>Give me one good reason (and I mean GOOD) as to why Alex Rodriguez
>deserves to make $252 million.

The only people who deserve to make even CLOSE to that amount of money are
poeple like firefighters and teachers, who really do IMPORTANT things in this
world.

My 5th grade teacher had a huge impact on my life. He wa sone of the few people
who seemed to notice me and think I was special. I still think of him now,
almost 8 years later. Now, 8 years from now, is anyone REALLY going to remember
how many home runs or RBIs A-Rod got?

Methinks not.

Joe B

Dec 13, 2000, 7:24:15 PM12/13/00

> >Give me one good reason (and I mean GOOD) as to why Alex Rodriguez
> >deserves to make $252 million.
> >

> The only people who deserve to make even CLOSE to that amount of money are
> poeple like firefighters and teachers, who really do IMPORTANT things in
this
> world.
>
> My 5th grade teacher had a huge impact on my life. He wa sone of the few
people
> who seemed to notice me and think I was special. I still think of him now,
> almost 8 years later. Now, 8 years from now, is anyone REALLY going to
remember
> how many home runs or RBIs A-Rod got?

Sadly, yes.

You don't work with some of the baseball stat junkies that I do... :)

---
Joe B - #41642

Afraid nobody around me comprehends my potato,
I think I'm only a spudboy, looking for that real tomato...

Joe B

Dec 13, 2000, 7:49:08 PM12/13/00

> In article <3a377539$0$62394$45be...@newscene.com>,
> "Joe B" <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> > > Tell that to the Cardinals catchers (Mike Matheny not included).
> > > Apparently getting a hit 18% of the time is the best they can do.
> > > Anyway, Captain I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob,
> >
> > This is either the weirdest flame I've ever read or I ate too much
> granola
> > this morning...
>
> Or, it was a joke. You may have eaten too much granola as well, but I
> mean absolutely no ill will towards Rob.

Well, it must've been the granola...

> > But, I'm begging you Rob, will you please change your online handle to
> > "Captain I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob".
>
> That might actually be kinda cool.

That's why I suggested it. I only wish I had a name that cool. Well, one not
given to me by Erica and, therefore, repeatable in public places.

Supply, I'd like to introduce you to demand...

> Eric "Nemo" Granger (I know I'm speaking in "should be" instead
> of "is," but sports should not be excluding their fans like this just
> to snap up corporate money.)

Well maybe that's where the disconnect is here. You're speaking in *should*
and I'm speaking in *is*. If people wouldn't spend the money, the players
wouldn't make so much. No one has ever been forced, at gunpoint, to go to a
baseball game or buy a jersey. Yes, it's sad if a family can't afford to
take all the kids to the ballpark on a Sunday afternoon, but them's the
breaks. Then again, it's too bad that taking the kids to Europe on vacation
to learn about other cultures costs a lot of money, too.

Seeing a baseball, football, or basketball game isn't a right guaranteed to
us by our government - it's entertainment, and some people are going to be
left out by virtue of the ticket prices. If this is a problem for a family,
they may want to move to Canada, where I believe that going to a hockey game
*is* subsidised by the government. And if it's not, then I can't figure out
*how* the sport got so popular.

---
Joe B - #41642

Andrew

Dec 13, 2000, 9:51:05 PM12/13/00

(snip, snip, There isn't just one Rodrigez in texas, but two!)

:
:Supply, I'd like to introduce you to demand...

And opportunity costs, I'd like you to meet the laws of diminishing return.

:
[...]

Because it was something different than curling?

---Andrew "sweep, sweep, broom!" K.

Nemo

Dec 14, 2000, 12:47:46 AM12/14/00
In article <3a381867$0$62387$45be...@newscene.com>,

"Joe B" <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:

> "Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > In article <3a377539$0$62394$45be...@newscene.com>,
> > "Joe B" <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip>

> > > This is either the weirdest flame I've ever read or I ate too much
> > granola
> > > this morning...
> >
> > Or, it was a joke. You may have eaten too much granola as well, but
> > mean absolutely no ill will towards Rob.
>
> Well, it must've been the granola...

Yeah, you need to lay off that stuff, man.

> > > But, I'm begging you Rob, will you please change your online
handle to
> > > "Captain I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob".
> >
> > That might actually be kinda cool.
>
> That's why I suggested it. I only wish I had a name that cool. Well,
one not
> given to me by Erica and, therefore, repeatable in public places.

No, please, repeat them in public. I love seeing shocked looks on
people's faces.

<snip>

> > Baseball players generate revenues of $75 million per year because
we
> > are stupid enough to pay $150 for a jersey, $30 for a ticket
(depending
> > on your team), and the fact that most of us *have* to watch games
on TV
> > because we can't afford to go to games. What good is sports if only
the
> > upper class can afford to make attending a sporting even more than
an
> > anuual event? $25 million/year contracts help fuel my
disillusionment.
> > Give me one good reason (and I mean GOOD) as to why Alex Rodriguez
> > deserves to make $252 million.
>
> Supply, I'd like to introduce you to demand...

Good teachers are in demand as well, but no one is offering them $252
million. In fact, you could employ 625 teachers making $40,000 salary
on one year of Rodriguez's pay. A-Rod hits balls out of ballparks.
Teachers help shape the minds of the future. Which is more valuable? I
don't care if people are willing to shell out $30, $60, or $1,000 to
see A-Rod play. There is still not a good reason for him to be making
that much money.

> > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I know I'm speaking in "should be" instead
> > of "is," but sports should not be excluding their fans like this
just
> > to snap up corporate money.)
>
> Well maybe that's where the disconnect is here. You're speaking in
*should*
> and I'm speaking in *is*. If people wouldn't spend the money, the
players
> wouldn't make so much. No one has ever been forced, at gunpoint, to
go to a
> baseball game or buy a jersey. Yes, it's sad if a family can't afford
> take all the kids to the ballpark on a Sunday afternoon, but them's
the
> breaks.

That is one of my least favorite phrases, but then again, I tend to be
somewhat ideological. I don't like to look at a bad situation and
say, "oh well."

Then again, it's too bad that taking the kids to Europe on vacation
> to learn about other cultures costs a lot of money, too.
>
> Seeing a baseball, football, or basketball game isn't a right
guaranteed to
> us by our government - it's entertainment, and some people are going
to be
> left out by virtue of the ticket prices.

Some people? It's a lot of people. Hockey is my favorite sport in the
world, and thanks to escalating ticket prices, I get to go to one game
a year, most likely in the upper section. I have been to one hockey
game close to the ice. As for baseball, the only times I have ever been
out of nosebleed sections was when I went with rich friends. However,
corporate big shots who are just going to wow their clients or
associates and don't give a damn about who is even playing go whenever
the need comes.

> If this is a problem for a family,
> they may want to move to Canada, where I believe that going to a
hockey game
> *is* subsidised by the government. And if it's not, then I can't
figure out
> *how* the sport got so popular.

That's easy. 'Cos it's the best sport in the world.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I love sports. I hate the business of it.)

Gypsy Jr.

Dec 14, 2000, 2:15:57 AM12/14/00
>As for baseball, the only times I have ever been
>out of nosebleed sections was when I went with rich friends.

I've only been to two baseball games - one was with my school class at the
Kingdome, and we had nosebleed seats, and the other was a game during the first
week Safeco Field was open, and we had pretty good seats - the only reason we
got to go, however, was because the company that my dad worked for was on of
the companies hired in the building of the stadium, and he got two free
tickets.

the_mons...@my-deja.com

Dec 15, 2000, 12:31:54 AM12/15/00
In article <20001211112150...@ng-fc1.aol.com>,
gbob...@aol.com (Gbobolink) wrote:
> >Eh, it'd have been better if it stuck. Now not only am I going to
school, I
> >get to go with a bunch of kids who are going to gripe about it not
> >sticking.
> >Ugh.
>
> Ha ha! Snow day in Central Illinois! Ice everywhere, so I get to sit
> at home and play on the internet all day!
>
> Darth Kirby
> At least it ain't like that crappy Nickelodeon movie.

Rugrats In Paris? I don't the connection here.

The Monster Paul

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 15, 2000, 3:10:59 AM12/15/00
Well, after waiting for the original post to show up, I'll just attempt to
answer this as best I can. Of course, I'm still getting *mail* from a week
ago, so God only knows what happened in the musty cavernous haints of
Cox@Home. Observe...

> In article <3a381867$0$62387$45be...@newscene.com>,
> "Joe B" <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > <snip>

> do.

> > > granola
> > >
> > > Or, it was a joke. You may have eaten too much granola as well, but
> > > mean absolutely no ill will towards Rob.
> >
> > Well, it must've been the granola...
>
> Yeah, you need to lay off that stuff, man.

People wonder why I quote whole posts. In any event, I'm not funny because
I'm Big Rob, I'm Big Rob because I'm funny. (And "Mr. Funny" needs to be
left out of this conversation, thank you.)

> handle to
> > >
> > > That might actually be kinda cool.
> >
> > That's why I suggested it. I only wish I had a name that cool. Well,
> one not
> > given to me by Erica and, therefore, repeatable in public places.

Well, I refuse to call myself Fusty Nuts.

> > > Baseball players generate revenues of $75 million per year because
> we
> > > are stupid enough to pay $150 for a jersey, $30 for a ticket
> (depending
> > > on your team), and the fact that most of us *have* to watch games
> on TV
> > > because we can't afford to go to games. What good is sports if only
> the
> > > upper class can afford to make attending a sporting even more than
> an
> > > anuual event? $25 million/year contracts help fuel my
> disillusionment.
> > > Give me one good reason (and I mean GOOD) as to why Alex Rodriguez
> > > deserves to make $252 million.
> >
> > Supply, I'd like to introduce you to demand...
>
> Good teachers are in demand as well, but no one is offering them $252
> million. In fact, you could employ 625 teachers making $40,000 salary
> on one year of Rodriguez's pay. A-Rod hits balls out of ballparks.
> Teachers help shape the minds of the future. Which is more valuable? I
> don't care if people are willing to shell out $30, $60, or $1,000 to
> see A-Rod play. There is still not a good reason for him to be making
> that much money.

But don't you see? Your issue is with society, not Mr. Rodriguez. Were I to
run the world, I would pay teachers somewhere in the vicinity of a doctor's
salary, because I think they're equally important. Unfortunately, the world
doesn't work this way. The results of a teacher's work are often intangible
and take years to discern. However, baseball attendance figures can be
charted weekly and have a direct, immediate correlation to net profits.

Every time a new height is reached in professional sports salaries, people
tear out their hair in agony, it seems. But in a capitalist society, those
who directly generate the most income are entitled to the largest salaries.
Whether or not it's moral is an entirely different matter.

> > > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I know I'm speaking in "should be" instead
> > > of "is," but sports should not be excluding their fans like this
> just
> > > to snap up corporate money.)
> >
> > Well maybe that's where the disconnect is here. You're speaking in
> *should*
> > and I'm speaking in *is*. If people wouldn't spend the money, the
> players
> > wouldn't make so much. No one has ever been forced, at gunpoint, to
> go to a
> > baseball game or buy a jersey. Yes, it's sad if a family can't afford
> > take all the kids to the ballpark on a Sunday afternoon, but them's
> the
> > breaks.
>
> That is one of my least favorite phrases, but then again, I tend to be
> somewhat ideological. I don't like to look at a bad situation and
> say, "oh well."

Well, and I say this with no flippancy whatsoever, do something about it.
Create a web page. Start an organization. Raise consciousness.

--
"The question is, how badly do you want this to change?"
-- Robert "Captain-I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob" Fontenot

Bodger

Dec 15, 2000, 8:31:25 AM12/15/00

<the_mons...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> In article <20001211112150...@ng-fc1.aol.com>,
> gbob...@aol.com (Gbobolink) wrote:
> > >Eh, it'd have been better if it stuck. Now not only am I going to
> school, I
> > >get to go with a bunch of kids who are going to gripe about it not
> > >sticking.
> > >Ugh.
> >
> > Ha ha! Snow day in Central Illinois! Ice everywhere, so I get to sit
> > at home and play on the internet all day!
> >
> > Darth Kirby
> > At least it ain't like that crappy Nickelodeon movie.
> >
> Rugrats In Paris? I don't the connection here.

Well isn't it blatently obvious? Because of the snow, people are unable to
get to Paris, wherein they'd be able to reenact scenes from that movie.

> The Monster Paul

Bodger
"I mean, DUH..."

Nemo

Dec 15, 2000, 9:51:51 AM12/15/00
In article <nmk_5.30783$x6.14...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,

"The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:
> Well, after waiting for the original post to show up, I'll just
attempt to
> answer this as best I can. Of course, I'm still getting *mail* from a
week
> ago, so God only knows what happened in the musty cavernous haints of
> Cox@Home. Observe...
>
> Nemo <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > In article <3a381867$0$62387$45be...@newscene.com>,
> > "Joe B" <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
> > > Well, it must've been the granola...
> >
> > Yeah, you need to lay off that stuff, man.
>
> People wonder why I quote whole posts. In any event, I'm not funny
because
> I'm Big Rob, I'm Big Rob because I'm funny. (And "Mr. Funny" needs to
be
> left out of this conversation, thank you.)

Uh, no problem.

> > > That's why I suggested it. I only wish I had a name that cool.
Well,
> > one not
> > > given to me by Erica and, therefore, repeatable in public places.
>
> Well, I refuse to call myself Fusty Nuts.

Good call.

> > > Supply, I'd like to introduce you to demand...
> >
> > Good teachers are in demand as well, but no one is offering them
$252
> > million. In fact, you could employ 625 teachers making $40,000
salary
> > on one year of Rodriguez's pay. A-Rod hits balls out of ballparks.
> > Teachers help shape the minds of the future. Which is more
valuable? I
> > don't care if people are willing to shell out $30, $60, or $1,000 to
> > see A-Rod play. There is still not a good reason for him to be
making
> > that much money.
>
> But don't you see? Your issue is with society, not Mr. Rodriguez.

This is true. I really can't fault Rodriguez for taking $252 million
that someone is offering. I can fault the Texas Rangers for offering
$252 million to one man. I can also fault all of us baseball fans for
packing stadiums to see him.

Were I to
> run the world, I would pay teachers somewhere in the vicinity of a
doctor's
> salary, because I think they're equally important. Unfortunately, the
world
> doesn't work this way. The results of a teacher's work are often
intangible
> and take years to discern. However, baseball attendance figures can be
> charted weekly and have a direct, immediate correlation to net
profits.

At least until this kind of thing finally makes baseball too big for
its britches.

> Every time a new height is reached in professional sports salaries,
people
> tear out their hair in agony, it seems. But in a capitalist society,
those
> who directly generate the most income are entitled to the largest
salaries.
> Whether or not it's moral is an entirely different matter.

That's the issue I'm addressing. From a strictly capitalistic point of
view then A-Rod is the model for society. But from my moral framework
(and many others' apparently), this is bad.

> > > Well maybe that's where the disconnect is here. You're speaking in
> > *should*
> > > and I'm speaking in *is*. If people wouldn't spend the money, the
> > players
> > > wouldn't make so much. No one has ever been forced, at gunpoint,
> > go to a
> > > baseball game or buy a jersey. Yes, it's sad if a family can't
afford
> > > take all the kids to the ballpark on a Sunday afternoon, but
them's
> > the
> > > breaks.
> >
> > That is one of my least favorite phrases, but then again, I tend to
be
> > somewhat ideological. I don't like to look at a bad situation and
> > say, "oh well."
>
> Well, and I say this with no flippancy whatsoever, do something about
it.
> Create a web page. Start an organization. Raise consciousness.

Well, I unfortunately don't have the time or resources to start an
organization (that's everyone's excuse, isn't it?), but I may just
start a website about it. I'm sure there are others as well.

> "The question is, how badly do you want this to change?"

My dream is that sports reconnects with the people who made them big.
My dream is that Joe Average can take his kids to a
Cubs/Cards/Mets/whatever game as many times a year as he wants. Does
this mean that corporations and whatnot can't have their luxury suites?
No, they're already there. Let them pay the big money for that stuff.
But I want sporting events for everyday people.

> -- Robert "Captain-I'm-Mr.-Funny-'Cos-I'm-Big-Rob" Fontenot

Hey, that is pretty cool.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as they
go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
loud?)

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 15, 2000, 10:27:07 AM12/15/00

(snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at all)

> Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as they
> go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
> loud?)

Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's been
eight years.

That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.

--
"Good luck with that Tampa Bay thing."
-- Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot

Andrew

Dec 15, 2000, 3:10:43 PM12/15/00

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, The Midnight Rambler wrote:

:
:(snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at all)

:
:> Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as they
:> go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
:> loud?)
:
:Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's been
:eight years.

Like as if you New Orleaneans needed an excuse to be delirious or deliriously
happy.

:
:That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.

And the Saint's destiny is in their own hands, and that's a scary football
thought...

---Andrew "How Long before Mardi Gras, again?" Kunz

Nemo

Dec 15, 2000, 3:06:17 PM12/15/00
In article <fLq_5.31104$x6.15...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,

"The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:

> (snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at
all)

> > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as
they
> > go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that
out
> > loud?)
>
> Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's
been
> eight years.

Oh yeah. I sympathize. Sincerely.

> That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.

I was primarily being a smartass. We have some severe reservations
about the Rams return to the Super Bowl.

> "Good luck with that Tampa Bay thing."
> -- Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot

Eric "Nemo" Granger (Ick. And Faulk is sitting out too.)

melcocha

Dec 15, 2000, 6:43:39 PM12/15/00
The Midnight Rambler://

> <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
>
>>> "Nemo" <mrbl...@aol.com> wrote in message

[...]

>>> That's why I suggested it. I only wish I had a name that cool. Well, one not
>>> given to me by Erica and, therefore, repeatable in public places.
>>>
> Well, I refuse to call myself Fusty Nuts.

Yet you seem perfectly at ease with calling yourself "Mr Farty Nubs." I
never did understand you.

--
ky mellie (np: ballad of a teenage queen; rupaul)
Visit Super Mel's Sheep Ranch: http://sheepranch.home.mindspring.com

melcocha

Dec 15, 2000, 8:20:14 PM12/15/00
Nemo://

> My dream is that sports reconnects with the people who made them big.
> My dream is that Joe Average can take his kids to a
> Cubs/Cards/Mets/whatever game as many times a year as he wants. Does
> this mean that corporations and whatnot can't have their luxury suites?
> No, they're already there. Let them pay the big money for that stuff.
> But I want sporting events for everyday people.

They already exist. You just don't choose to consider them because they're
not brand name teams or leagues. Go to the minors. Go (gasp!) support the
women's leagues. Watch some little league. *Something*. The minor leagues
aren't just a masturbatory effort, you know. Check out what the
up-and-commers (and never-weres) are up to. Give yourself bragging rights to
supporting women's sports. Especially college games. You should see the
attendance at some of their games. They put just as much into it (if not
more) as men and get little if any of the same attention and adoration in
return. It's so bad they just give away the tickets in the hope that its
being free will attract people. That's sad.

So why isn't Joe Average taking his kids to *those* games? During the
season, I'm always seeing the local minor league baseball team trot out free
tickets for brats -- er, kids. Sometimes they even have free tickets for
adults.

You should know that I hate sports. I hate watching sports. I hate playing
sports. Yet I once went with a group of friends to see the Tucson Torros
play against whatever the Phoenix team is called. We got to sit close to the
field. The tickets were only $5. Did I see Daddy Average towing his sperm
blossoms to the game? Of course not. I saw no kids at all. Which I find
truly odd because if anyone is playing for sheer love of the game, it's
these people. Isn't this what The Children are supposed to be exposed to
instead of the scary evil overpaid big leaguers? Do you think those players
enjoyed having maybe 150 people at the game? Probably not. Did they care?
Not that they let on. They played the same as they would have if thousands
were watching.

Going to that game is one of my favorite memories from that summer because
it was so small and intimate. It was just the fans, the players, and the
game. For that moment, for that single game, I understood why people like
sports. I know that that wouldn't have happened had it been a major league
game. How do I know this if I hate sports? Because I attended an Arizona
State football game later that same year because I had had so much fun at
the Torros game. That quickly made me remember why I avoid sports and
sporting events like the plague. >:p

--
ky mellie (np: that old wheel; johnny cash)

Visit Super Mel's Sheep Ranch: http://sheepranch.home.mindspring.com

Joe Benkis:// I'm having finger problems tonight. I typed "You're tight" a
couple of messages back, instead of "You're right", but I corrected it when
I realized that the message "You're tight" would be like saying "The sky is
blue" or "Water is wet".

creepygirl

Dec 15, 2000, 8:59:52 PM12/15/00
In article <B660115D.12BE8%melc...@mindspring.com>, melcocha
<melc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Nemo://
>
> > My dream is that sports reconnects with the people who made them big.
> > My dream is that Joe Average can take his kids to a
> > Cubs/Cards/Mets/whatever game as many times a year as he wants. Does
> > this mean that corporations and whatnot can't have their luxury suites?
> > No, they're already there. Let them pay the big money for that stuff.
> > But I want sporting events for everyday people.
>
> They already exist. You just don't choose to consider them because they're
> not brand name teams or leagues. Go to the minors. Go (gasp!) support the
> women's leagues. Watch some little league. *Something*. The minor leagues
> aren't just a masturbatory effort, you know. Check out what the
> up-and-commers (and never-weres) are up to. Give yourself bragging rights to
> supporting women's sports. Especially college games. You should see the
> attendance at some of their games. They put just as much into it (if not
> more) as men and get little if any of the same attention and adoration in
> return. It's so bad they just give away the tickets in the hope that its
> being free will attract people. That's sad.
>
> So why isn't Joe Average taking his kids to *those* games? During the
> season, I'm always seeing the local minor league baseball team trot out free
> tickets for brats -- er, kids. Sometimes they even have free tickets for
> adults.

Marry me, Mellie?

I've been thinking pretty much the same thing while reading this thread.
I love skating, but I'm never going to be able to watch the Olympics in
person, or even make it to Nationals on a regular basis. Even the tours
have gotten pretty doggone expensive. So I go to the lower level
events--Regionals, Sectionals, etc. I get to sit up close for a fraction
of the cost of the "big" skating events, and see feats of skill,
toughness, and astounding precision. A person who loves a _sport_ (as
opposed to loving the stars of the sport) doesn't need the major leaguers
to enjoy it.

-cg, who was one of the fifty or so die-hards at my school who watched the
men's gymnastics teams meets--in a year when they won the NCAA
championships.

--
"Shameless scone slut"--My boyfriend's description of me

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 15, 2000, 8:52:09 PM12/15/00

Andrew <ark...@mizzou.edu> wrote in message

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, The Midnight Rambler wrote:
>
> :
> :(snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at all)
> :
> :> Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as they
> :> go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
> :> loud?)
> :
> :Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's been
> :eight years.
>
> Like as if you New Orleaneans needed an excuse to be delirious or
deliriously
> happy.

It *is* a happy town. Of course, that could be the rampant alcoholism
talking. Or the Nyquil.

> :That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.
>
> And the Saint's destiny is in their own hands, and that's a scary football
> thought...

They are, granted, their own worst enemy. Or WERE.

--
""What did I think of the team's execution? It's a damn good idea.""
-- attributed to University of Illinois coach Lou Henson

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 15, 2000, 9:00:43 PM12/15/00

melcocha <melc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Nemo://
>
> > My dream is that sports reconnects with the people who made them big.
> > My dream is that Joe Average can take his kids to a
> > Cubs/Cards/Mets/whatever game as many times a year as he wants. Does
> > this mean that corporations and whatnot can't have their luxury suites?
> > No, they're already there. Let them pay the big money for that stuff.
> > But I want sporting events for everyday people.
>
> They already exist. You just don't choose to consider them because
they're
> not brand name teams or leagues. Go to the minors. Go (gasp!) support the
> women's leagues. Watch some little league. *Something*. The minor leagues
> aren't just a masturbatory effort, you know. Check out what the
> up-and-commers (and never-weres) are up to. Give yourself bragging rights
> supporting women's sports. Especially college games. You should see the
> attendance at some of their games. They put just as much into it (if not
> more) as men and get little if any of the same attention and adoration in
> return. It's so bad they just give away the tickets in the hope that its
> being free will attract people. That's sad.

Get out of my head already, would you? I considered going off on this very
tangent.

> So why isn't Joe Average taking his kids to *those* games?

Average Joe's kid is way too young for that right now.

This is exactly what happened to me with baseball... I have no love for the
game whatsoever, but when friends took me to a Zephyrs game (the local AAA
club, and one of the best in the nation, btw), I enjoyed the hell out of it.
It wasn't boring at all, like major league games always seemed to me, but
rather fun and festive and almost sickeningly reeking of apple-pie
Americana. It instantly brings you back to when you were a kid and watching
some team play and cheering them on and maybe you had a fountain Coke and
you enjoyed the spring breeze and the sun and everything felt orderly and
right for just a few hours.

Something like that, anyway. For the record, I really only like football,
but as much as I enjoy it, you couldn't begin to get me to go to a pro game
in person. I mean, I've seen some people getting almost feral in their own
HOMES about a bad referee call.

--
"Although I do miss my Uncle Gerald. He used to take off his shoe and throw
it at the TV."

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 15, 2000, 9:32:39 PM12/15/00
In article <fLq_5.31104$x6.15...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>, "The
Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:

> (snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at all)
>
> > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as they
> > go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
> > loud?)
>
> Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's been
> eight years.
>
> That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.
>
> --
> "Good luck with that Tampa Bay thing."

You realize, of course, that I planned my first trip home to Tampa in
three years around the Bucs-Rams Monday night game. It helped greatly
that they scheduled it for a week before Christmas. (My father has had
Bucs season tickets since 1977.)

Look for me on "Monday Night Football." I'll be the one who's not
dressed up and not waving a huge sign containing a clever play on the
initials "ABC."

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> asks for little in return.

Joe B

Dec 15, 2000, 11:38:10 PM12/15/00

"Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> In article <fLq_5.31104$x6.15...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>, "The
> Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > (snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at all)
> >
> > > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as
they
> > > go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
> > > loud?)
> >
> > Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's
been
> > eight years.
> >
> > That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.
> >
> > --
> > "Good luck with that Tampa Bay thing."
>
> You realize, of course, that I planned my first trip home to Tampa in
> three years around the Bucs-Rams Monday night game. It helped greatly
> that they scheduled it for a week before Christmas. (My father has had
> Bucs season tickets since 1977.)
>
> Look for me on "Monday Night Football." I'll be the one who's not
> dressed up and not waving a huge sign containing a clever play on the
> initials "ABC."

I will, indeed, be looking for you. I'm hosting a party, mostly for family,
for that Monday Night game.

Please, please, please tell me that you're going as a Bucs fan and not as a
Rams fan.

---
Joe B - #41642

And don't even ask how I got to be a Bucs fan, living in Omaha, NE.

Chris Mehring

Dec 16, 2000, 12:28:12 AM12/16/00
Somehow, Jim Ellwanger got this message out of Ward E:

>In article <fLq_5.31104$x6.15...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>, "The
>Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> (snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at all)
>>
>> > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as they
>> > go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say that out
>> > loud?)
>>
>> Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's been
>> eight years.
>>
>> That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.
>>
>> --
>> "Good luck with that Tampa Bay thing."
>
>You realize, of course, that I planned my first trip home to Tampa in
>three years around the Bucs-Rams Monday night game. It helped greatly
>that they scheduled it for a week before Christmas. (My father has had
>Bucs season tickets since 1977.)
>
>Look for me on "Monday Night Football." I'll be the one who's not
>dressed up and not waving a huge sign containing a clever play on the
>initials "ABC."

No, you'll be the one with the bed sheet that has the bigger than life abstract
potraits of Al Michaels, Dan Fouts, and Dennis Miller. On the bottom of the
painting, Joel, Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow will been seen in silhouette.

Chris "C'mon, Jim. You've been working on it since May" Mehring

The HHH of D-Generation X 3000.
"Because I am that damn good!"--The real HHH
"Must Win? World War II was a must win."-- Marv Levy, ex-Buffalo Bills coach.
To reply e-mail address must be "pepsi" free.

the_mons...@my-deja.com

Dec 16, 2000, 12:28:37 AM12/16/00
In article <trainman1-0A74B...@news.mindspring.com>,

Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> In article <fLq_5.31104$x6.15...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>, "The
> Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > (snip some very nice things I actually don't have a problem with at
> > all)
> >
> > > Eric "Nemo" Granger (I want people to be able to see Rams games as
> > >they go to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints...oops, did I say
> > >that out loud?)
> >
> > Hey, we're deliriously happy to have even had a winning season. It's
> > been eight years.
> >
> > That said, we're ahead in division wins. By two.
> >
> > --
> > "Good luck with that Tampa Bay thing."
>
> You realize, of course, that I planned my first trip home to Tampa in
> three years around the Bucs-Rams Monday night game. It helped greatly
> that they scheduled it for a week before Christmas. (My father has
> had Bucs season tickets since 1977.)
>
> Look for me on "Monday Night Football." I'll be the one who's not
> dressed up and not waving a huge sign containing a clever play on the
> initials "ABC."

I will look for you at the next football game.
But That maybe hard to do because at the last football game there were
at least 5 normal looking people.

> --
> Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
> <http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> asks for little in return.
> "There's something about a train..."

the_mons...@my-deja.com

Dec 16, 2000, 12:35:41 AM12/16/00
In article <f1A_5.32717$x6.15...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,

"The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote:

You grew up in a Norman Rockwell painting?

> Something like that, anyway. For the record, I really only like
football,
> but as much as I enjoy it, you couldn't begin to get me to go to a pro
game
> in person. I mean, I've seen some people getting almost feral in their
own
> HOMES about a bad referee call.
>
> --
> "Although I do miss my Uncle Gerald. He used to take off his shoe and
> throw it at the TV."
> -- Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot
> The Midnight Rambler

The Monster Paul
So that's why Elvis shot out his Tv?

Nemo

Dec 16, 2000, 2:05:17 AM12/16/00
In article <3a3af11a$0$96723$45be...@newscene.com>,

That's it, boy! You and me are stepping outside! Oh wait...it's cold
out there. Okay, you get off easy this time!

> And don't even ask how I got to be a Bucs fan, living in Omaha, NE.

Say, Joe, how'd you get to be a Bucs fan living in Omaha?

Eric "Nemo" Granger (Aren't the Chiefs the closest team to you? Not
that proximity matters all that much in football fandom.)

Nemo

Dec 16, 2000, 2:20:29 AM12/16/00

As usual, you're right. I can remember (all those years ago...1995 and
96) covering my high school sports for the yearbook. THAT was fun. And
one of the great things about working on the yearbook was getting to
know everyone that played for the teams. The hockey players were
particularly cool (of course I would say that).

There is an abundance of good minor league and college sports here in
St. Louis (although I don't care for college football or basketball).
Frankly, most of the sports I don't care too much for (Wash U. has a
very good volleyball team, but I don't like volleyball). Frankly this
is something I should've thought of when I started talking about this.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (I graciously concede the point. Although it would
still be nice for major league sports to be closer to my level.)

thayer marie preece

Dec 16, 2000, 5:42:45 PM12/16/00
"The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> writes:

>--
>""What did I think of the team's execution? It's a damn good idea.""
>-- attributed to University of Illinois coach Lou Henson
>The Midnight Rambler
>http://beatles.about.com

woooo, illinois! go illini! our football team may suck, but our
basketball team is kicking ass!

thayer
...ok, back to being quiet...

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 16, 2000, 7:02:20 PM12/16/00
In article <3a3af11a$0$96723$45be...@newscene.com>, "Joe B"
<spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:

> "Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>

> > You realize, of course, that I planned my first trip home to Tampa in
> > three years around the Bucs-Rams Monday night game. It helped greatly
> > that they scheduled it for a week before Christmas. (My father has had
> > Bucs season tickets since 1977.)

[...]

> Please, please, please tell me that you're going as a Bucs fan and
> not as a Rams fan.

Yes, I've been a Bucs fan almost all my life. I was too young to really
appreciate their playoff runs in 1979, 1981, and 1982, and then I moved
out of Tampa at the beginning of the 1997 season. If they lose Monday,
it will, indeed, be completely my fault.

In L.A., there's a surprising amount of Rams coverage, and I'm sick of
it. (So are the people who write in to the L.A. Times sports section
every other week.)

> And don't even ask how I got to be a Bucs fan, living in Omaha, NE.

A co-worker of mine in Pittsburgh was a Bucs fan. Yes, you read that
right: in Pittsburgh.

I didn't even realize they broadcast the NFL in Omaha. I thought on
Sunday afternoons, they just showed a repeat of yesterday's Nebraska
game.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> remembers the good old days.

Joe B

Dec 16, 2000, 8:06:08 PM12/16/00

"The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> --
> ""What did I think of the team's execution? It's a damn good idea.""
> -- attributed to University of Illinois coach Lou Henson

Actually, as any Bucs fan worth their salt can tell you, this quote is from
the Bucs very first coach, John McKay - well known for his quotations about
coaching one of the worst teams *ever*.

He was asked by a reporter after a game what he thought about his teams
execution. His reply - "I'm in favor of it."

After one game, he was asked about the number of sacks his team allowed. He
remarked, "Well, we didn't block. But we made up for it by not tackling."

After losing his second road game, McKay said, "We have now proven we can't
win in front of our own crowd or on the road. What we would like is a
neutral site."

During the Bucs first-ever exhibition game, he was wired for sound by NFL
Films, who recorded him saying, "We can't stop the pass or the run.
Otherwise we're in great shape."

In the Bucs first Monday Night Football game, in 1980 they played the Bears
and lost 23-0. After the game, John McKay said that the Bucs, "set football
back a thousand years."

After losing to the Vikings in 1979, McKay was asked to analyze his team's
performance. He said, "We ran onto the field fairly well."

They just don't make 'em like McKay any more. It makes Mora and his
"diddly-poo" comments seem bush-league.

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 17, 2000, 7:44:23 PM12/17/00

Joe B <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote in message

Well, Mora's tight-lipped anyway. And thanks for clarifying the source of
the quote... I did a search for it myself, but you notice that I put that
"attributed" disclaimer in there because I was never positive of it.

I will, however, offer a Saints-related one, in memory of tougher times...

--
"Right after they finished playing the National Anthem."
-- Bum Phillips, asked when he knew the Saints were in trouble

Chris Mehring

Dec 17, 2000, 9:03:33 PM12/17/00
Somehow, The Midnight Rambler got this message out of Ward E:

>Joe B <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> <snip>
>>
>> > --
>> > ""What did I think of the team's execution? It's a damn good idea.""
>> > -- attributed to University of Illinois coach Lou Henson
>>
>> Actually, as any Bucs fan worth their salt can tell you, this quote is
>from
>> the Bucs very first coach, John McKay - well known for his quotations
>about
>> coaching one of the worst teams *ever*.
>>
>> He was asked by a reporter after a game what he thought about his teams
>> execution. His reply - "I'm in favor of it."

<snip John McKay's greatest hits as related by Average Joe>

>> They just don't make 'em like McKay any more. It makes Mora and his
>> "diddly-poo" comments seem bush-league.
>
>Well, Mora's tight-lipped anyway.

A Mora meltdown I remember is:

"You think you know. But you...just...DON'T...KNOW!!" And he went on
repeating that mantra to the media a few more times.

It was as if he was channeling Shatner at that moment after a particularly
difficult loss.

>I will, however, offer a Saints-related one, in memory of tougher times...
>
>--
>"Right after they finished playing the National Anthem."
>-- Bum Phillips, asked when he knew the Saints were in trouble

Bum Phillips is great on those NFL Films "Sounds of the Sidelines" movies.

"Can I tell you something? That's three holding penalties on one football team
in a quarter and a half. Tain't funny."

Marv Levy, a personal favorite of mine, had some great lines as the Kansas City
Chiefs head coach. Two of which were:
"You know what we need here is an 888 right down the middle of the (censored)
field"

{Levy yelling at an official} "BECKMAN! You overofficious jerk!!!

Chris "Is 'overofficious' even a word" Mehring

Randy Golden

Dec 17, 2000, 9:27:17 PM12/17/00
Chris Mehring wrote:
>Somehow, The Midnight Rambler got this message out of Ward E:
>
>>Joe B <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "The Midnight Rambler" <bigrobis...@home.com> wrote in message
>>> >

>>> <snip>

>>> Actually, as any Bucs fan worth their salt can tell you, this quote is
>>from
>>> the Bucs very first coach, John McKay - well known for his quotations
>>about
>>> coaching one of the worst teams *ever*.
>>>
>>> He was asked by a reporter after a game what he thought about his teams
>>> execution. His reply - "I'm in favor of it."
>
><snip John McKay's greatest hits as related by Average Joe>

Someone lost their scorecard! [points and laughs]

Randy G.
MST Info Club #94720. E-mail always welcome.
"Everybody everywhere wants to be famous
And everybody everywhere wishes they could tell
Everybody everywhere to go to hell."
--Everclear, "Rock Star".

Tammy Stephanie Davis

Dec 17, 2000, 10:33:18 PM12/17/00
In article <20001217210333...@ng-fn1.aol.com>,
Chris Mehring <cmehr...@aol.compepsi> wrote:
:Somehow, The Midnight Rambler got this message out of Ward E:

Another one of Bum Phillips from the same Sidelines movie:

<Talking to an official>

"You can't do that! I tell ya' if you do it, ya' gonna have more
hell over it than a little bit!"

---TSD(Loved that Bum....)

Jess Nevins

Dec 17, 2000, 11:09:58 PM12/17/00
Ahem.

Who dat? Who dat who say dey gon' beat dem Saints?

jess, a fan since the mid-80s and has his Hokie Gajan Underoos
to prove it

Chris Mehring

Dec 17, 2000, 11:29:42 PM12/17/00
Somehow, Randy Golden got this message out of Ward E:

>Chris Mehring wrote:
>>Somehow, The Midnight Rambler got this message out of Ward E:
>>
>>>Joe B <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote in message

>>>from
>>>about

>><snip John McKay's greatest hits as related by Average Joe>
>
>Someone lost their scorecard! [points and laughs]

What? Huh? <checks program>

#42 Randy Golden
#43 Scott McGarahan
#44 Chris Mehring
#45 "Average Joe" Barlow
#46 Joe B

.......D'OH!! Glad I could entertain you, Randy. 8)

<checks front cover> Ah, I have my 1998 ratmm scorecard. I need an updated
one.

Chris "Or, I need to read the posts more closely" Mehring

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 18, 2000, 12:22:42 AM12/18/00

Jess Nevins <jjne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

What? Jess, a Saints fan?

--
"Jess, I think it's very cool... but, how did this come about?"

-- Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot

Jess Nevins

Dec 18, 2000, 4:37:11 AM12/18/00

The Midnight Rambler wrote:

> Jess Nevins <jjne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Ahem.
> >
> > Who dat? Who dat who say dey gon' beat dem Saints?
> >
> > jess, a fan since the mid-80s and has his Hokie Gajan Underoos
> > to prove it
>
> What? Jess, a Saints fan?

Yes, it's true. Ghu forbid the Saints and the Patriots ever play in
the Super Bowl...but I don't think I'll have to worry about that
any time soon.

> "Jess, I think it's very cool... but, how did this come about?"

A combination of Stratomatic football and my natural affinity
for the underdog.

jess

Joe B

Dec 18, 2000, 7:41:06 AM12/18/00

"Tammy Stephanie Davis" <t...@login.itd.umich.edu> wrote in message

And my favorite from the same film:

Jerry Glanville (talking to official): "This is the NFL, which stands for
'Not For Long' when you make calls like that..."

Chris Mehring

Dec 18, 2000, 9:54:24 AM12/18/00
Somehow, Joe B got this message out of Ward E:>"Tammy Stephanie Davis"

Followed by the immortal Glanville line: "I'll be bagging groceries"

Chris "I want to talk to the college guy" Mehring

Joe B

Dec 19, 2000, 12:37:07 AM12/19/00

> In article <3a3af11a$0$96723$45be...@newscene.com>, "Joe B"
> <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
>
> > "Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > You realize, of course, that I planned my first trip home to Tampa in
> > > three years around the Bucs-Rams Monday night game. It helped greatly
> > > that they scheduled it for a week before Christmas. (My father has
had
> > > Bucs season tickets since 1977.)
> [...]
> > Please, please, please tell me that you're going as a Bucs fan and
> > not as a Rams fan.
>
> Yes, I've been a Bucs fan almost all my life. I was too young to really
> appreciate their playoff runs in 1979, 1981, and 1982, and then I moved
> out of Tampa at the beginning of the 1997 season. If they lose Monday,
> it will, indeed, be completely my fault.

But they didn't! They won! HOODY-HOO! (Sorry I had to pull out the HOODY-HOO
vs. the Rams, Nemo...)

And you were there, you lucky SOB. Can you just tell me exactly what it was
like to be there when Dunn flipped that ball back to King and he scrambled
for the 1st down?

---
Joe B - #41642

The Midnight Rambler

Dec 19, 2000, 5:35:16 AM12/19/00

> "Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <3a3af11a$0$96723$45be...@newscene.com>, "Joe B"
> > <spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> had
> > [...]
> > > Please, please, please tell me that you're going as a Bucs fan and
> > > not as a Rams fan.
> >
> > Yes, I've been a Bucs fan almost all my life. I was too young to really
> > appreciate their playoff runs in 1979, 1981, and 1982, and then I moved
> > out of Tampa at the beginning of the 1997 season. If they lose Monday,
> > it will, indeed, be completely my fault.
>
> But they didn't! They won! HOODY-HOO! (Sorry I had to pull out the
HOODY-HOO
> vs. the Rams, Nemo...)

I've been a Rams fan for years, really I have. But let me indulge in
completely ridiculous Sports Guy behavior for just a second.

WE WON THE NFC WEST!

--
"Okay, THEY did. I didn't actually play in this game. My knee's still
injured."

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 27, 2000, 11:50:45 PM12/27/00
In article <3a3ef315$0$72741$45be...@newscene.com>, "Joe B"
<spudboy*nospam*@novia.com> wrote:

> "Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > Yes, I've been a Bucs fan almost all my life. I was too young to
> > really appreciate their playoff runs in 1979, 1981, and 1982, and
> > then I moved out of Tampa at the beginning of the 1997 season. If
> > they lose Monday, it will, indeed, be completely my fault.
>
> But they didn't! They won! HOODY-HOO! (Sorry I had to pull out the
> HOODY-HOO vs. the Rams, Nemo...)
>
> And you were there, you lucky SOB. Can you just tell me exactly what
> it was like to be there when Dunn flipped that ball back to King and
> he scrambled for the 1st down?

Imagine the emotions of 65,000 people suddenly changing from agony to
ecstasy. I don't know if that came across well on TV (I have the game
on tape, but haven't had time to watch it yet).

Whenever I get simultaneously nervous and excited, my pinky and ring
fingers go numb, as do the nerves that feed them, all the way up my arms
to my shoulders. But in this case, it was a good kind of numb. I felt
like that for that entire scoring drive.

My father said, at one point during the game, that it was the loudest he
had ever heard Raymond James Stadium. RJS is definitely a very nice
stadium...much better than that expanded 1960s college stadium they used
to play in.

But then the downside to this week of Bucs action was having to watch a
very disappointing ending to the game in Green Bay on TV on Sunday.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> will never give up.

Nemo

Dec 30, 2000, 12:28:47 PM12/30/00
In article <3a3ef315$0$72741$45be...@newscene.com>,

Please don't pull out the hoody-hoo anymore. Frankly it kinda disturbs
me. As for the Tampa game, it was disappointing, but the Rams beat the
Saints to get into the playoffs, so the season isn't a waste...yet.

Eric "Nemo" Granger (Still has faith, but is still worried about that
defense.)

--
"I'm here to eat candy canes & kick ass! And I'm all out of
candy canes!"--Kevin Murphy, "Santa Claus"