Map of galaxy according to StarTrek

Brian Noble

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
ars...@user1.channel1.com (Arshia Ansari) writes:
> Is there a map that shows the boundaries of each empire (i.e romulan,klingon
> and federation, etc) according to real astronomical map of the galaxy?Or maybe
> according to whatever the map the startrek stardates should look like?
>
> ____________________________
> Arshia Ansari
> ars...@user1.channel1.com

Brian Noble

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96

There is a map of the startrek galaxy on
http://www.abo.fi/~hgahmber/galmap.htm

Pet

DrJeep

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
to brian...@blackpool.net
well, considering the universe is in three dimensions, the map would be
extremely complicated. i'm not aware of any current maps which show
this,(i.e.-political maps of the world or airspace or something like
that) and you would also have to take into account that the universe
(according to some theories) is expanding, meaning that the map would
change every second of every day. this would make it problematic at
best. something else to consider: if there are as many anomalies in
space as they actually run into on STNG or STV or DS9, then you would
have to account for them. This would mean that every wormhole, temporal
rift, or bent space would have to be mapped. How do you do that? Too
many questions. It would take a lifetime or two to figure it all out.
.....just overly concerned, The Infallible DrJeep

DrJeep

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
to rec.arts.startrek.current

DrJeep

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96

DrJeep

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
to brian...@blackpool.net

The Hunter

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
In article <4137cc$141c1...@news.aspen-internet.net>, Brian Noble <brian...@blackpool.net> writes:
> ars...@user1.channel1.com (Arshia Ansari) writes:
>> Is there a map that shows the boundaries of each empire (i.e romulan,klingon
>> and federation, etc) according to real astronomical map of the galaxy?Or maybe
>> according to whatever the map the startrek stardates should look like?
>>
>> ____________________________
>> Arshia Ansari
>> ars...@user1.channel1.com

There is a small one in the Star Trek Technical Manual ( I forget what year)
As a matter of fact that is the only reason I bought the thing. It shows
the galaxy with federation space(location of earth pointed out) , klingon
space (smallest empire), romulan space , and the boundary of known
borg space.

Once you view this map two things might catch your attention:
1) The amount of space in the galaxy that still hasn't been explored.

2) The location of earth in respect to other U.F.P. planets

--
I'm sorry, I did not mean to call you wilderbeast
I meant to call you altered beast.

Dennis Flory

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
<4l96ek$i...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>

In article <4l96ek$i...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, DrJeep <ml2...@academia.swt.edu>
says:

>well, considering the universe is in three dimensions, the map
>would be extremely complicated. i'm not aware of any current maps
>which show this,(i.e.-political maps of the world or airspace or
>something like that) and you would also have to take into account
>that the universe (according to some theories) is expanding,
>meaning that the map would change every second of every day. this
>would make it problematic at best.

I would think that a map on a grand scale would be feasible. Certainly, relative
to you or I sitting on Earth, things change, but showing an entire quadrant should
be at a large enough scale as to be a valid representation for a good period of
time, where as celestial object movement would be more or less confined to the
general area within statistical error.

Dennis

-------========>>>>>>>> ******** <<<<<<<<=========-------
"We've got nothing better to do,
than watch TV and have a bottle of brew."
Rollins
-------========>>>>>>>> ******** <<<<<<<<=========-------

Dwight Williams

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Dennis Flory (fl...@uicc.com) writes:
> In article <4l96ek$i...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, DrJeep <ml2...@academia.swt.edu>
> says:
>>
>>well, considering the universe is in three dimensions, the map
>>would be extremely complicated. i'm not aware of any current maps
>>which show this,(i.e.-political maps of the world or airspace or
>>something like that) and you would also have to take into account
>>that the universe (according to some theories) is expanding,
>>meaning that the map would change every second of every day. this
>>would make it problematic at best.
>
> I would think that a map on a grand scale would be feasible. Certainly, relative
> to you or I sitting on Earth, things change, but showing an entire quadrant should
> be at a large enough scale as to be a valid representation for a good period of
> time, where as celestial object movement would be more or less confined to the
> general area within statistical error.

Well, maps of the galaxy as we know it in the real universe so far have
already been done and fairly decently at that. Just look at _The Guide to
the Galaxy_ by Nigel Henbest and Heather Couper(Cambridge Univ. Press,
1994). The maps by Julian Baum are _very_ well done, even though they're
only a "highlights only" sort of thing. Considering the number of
astronomers' "highlights" that needed covering...

Well, if there _is_ an Official Map of the ST Galaxy in the offing, I'd be
disappointed if Baum's work isn't used as a real-world starting point.
--
Dwight Williams(ad...@freenet.carleton.ca) -- Orleans, Ontario, Canada