Seeking recommendations: Stories of redemption

John H.

Jun 19, 2012, 2:00:22 PM6/19/12
I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).

Any suggestions? I’d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.

Thanks,
John

Robert Carnegie

Jun 19, 2012, 2:38:29 PM6/19/12
Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" novel series visits
this territory. And you may be interested in
_The Man Who Used the Universe_. Does it do
what you said? That would be telling.

And of course there's Severus Snape.

lal_truckee

Jun 19, 2012, 3:40:33 PM6/19/12
On 6/19/12 11:00 AM, John H. wrote:
> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
> of the main characters.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Greg Goss

Jun 19, 2012, 3:58:53 PM6/19/12
The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
trilogy.
--
I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it

Butch Malahide

Jun 19, 2012, 3:59:50 PM6/19/12
_The Devil's Day_ (_Black Easter_ & _The Day After Judgement_) by
James Blish.

Short stories:
"Fallen Star" by John Collier
"The Devil Was Sick" by Bruce Elliott

Butch Malahide

Jun 19, 2012, 4:06:57 PM6/19/12
On Jun 19, 1:00 pm, "John H." <john.heitmul...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
_Transient_ by Ward Moore (Unfortunately only available in the
original magazine, or as an ebook, AFAIK.)

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 19, 2012, 4:13:44 PM6/19/12
In article <0b21216a-b073-4882...@j9g2000vbk.googlegroups.com>,
Edmund, in _The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe._

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Wayne Throop

Jun 19, 2012, 4:29:27 PM6/19/12
:: I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
:: of the main characters.

Not a novel, but "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is the story of
the protagonist's redemption. Oh, you thought Aang was the protagonist?
Well, sort of. But if you look at it, the whole show is the story
of Zuko's redemption.

And if you want to see a foiled badguy character go completely
apeshit crazy, I mean completely, totally apeshit, chewing the scenery,
thrashing in a heap crazy, see Azula's breakdown when Katara defeats her.
Sort of the opposite of redemption. Impressive, even as a voice-actor.

"You wanna see sin of the wickedest kind? Here it is!
You wanna see virtue left behind? Here it is!"
--- Song of No Name City (from Paint Your Wagon)

David DeLaney

Jun 19, 2012, 6:24:53 PM6/19/12
John H. <john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
>I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
>of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
>character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender=92s Game series. So, not so much
>stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
>characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
>heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>
>Any suggestions? I=92d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.

Well, Eddings' _The Redemption of Althalus_ is explicitly set up to be this,
but might be too anvil-droppy for you. You might want to look at things
like the Banewreaker/Godslayer duology by Carey, where most of the people
and gods involved THINK someone is blackest evil but his story gets told
and his rationale examined... Or maybe like rational!Quirrel in the Methods
of Rationality fanfic? Or Long-Emperor Leto in the Dune series?

And of course this is a +favorite+ trope in paranormal romance, Fallen Evil
Supposedly-Nasty Male Lead gets caught on Female Lead's enormous tracts of
land and finds himself turning less nasty, except when they're doing the
nasty of course...

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

David Johnston

Jun 19, 2012, 6:36:47 PM6/19/12
On 6/19/2012 1:58 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> "John H." <john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
>> of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
>> character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
>> stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
>> characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
>> heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>>
>> Any suggestions? I’d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.
>
> The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
> trilogy.

Bah. Doing one "good" thing and then immediately dying. I is
unimpressed.

Moriarty

Jun 19, 2012, 6:36:57 PM6/19/12
On Jun 20, 6:13 am, djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> In article <0b21216a-b073-4882-bccb-04b650bfe...@j9g2000vbk.googlegroups.com>,
> Butch Malahide  <fred.gal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 19, 1:00 pm, "John H." <john.heitmul...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
> >> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
> >> of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
> >> character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender s Game series. So, not so much
> >> stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
> >> characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
> >> heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>
> >> Any suggestions? I d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> John
>
> >_Transient_ by Ward Moore (Unfortunately only available in the
> >original magazine, or as an ebook, AFAIK.)
>
> Edmund, in _The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe._

Also Eustace in _The Voyage of the Dawn Treader_.

-Moriarty

James Silverton

Jun 19, 2012, 6:40:10 PM6/19/12
A travesty (deserved too!) of the verse some nineteenth century Scottish
kids were compelled to write into their school books (names as appropriate).

Thomas Souter is my name,
Humble is my station.
Glasgow is my dwelling place,
A pleasant habitation.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Moriarty

Jun 19, 2012, 6:52:53 PM6/19/12
On Jun 20, 5:58 am, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
> "John H." <john.heitmul...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
> >I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
> >of the main characters.  The best SF example I can think of is the
> >character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender s Game series.  So, not so much
> >stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
> >characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
> >heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>
> >Any suggestions?  I d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.
>
> The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
> trilogy.

MY recollection of Vader at the end of the second Star Wars trilogy is
of him donning the black suit for the first time and breathing raspily
and forebodingly.

-Moriarty

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jun 19, 2012, 6:56:45 PM6/19/12
And suddenly gaining a foot of height? I always wondered about that,
but not enough to go watch the rest of the later trilogy after the
execrable first movie.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you own a jackhammer, every problem looks like hours of fun

Greg Goss

Jun 19, 2012, 7:18:01 PM6/19/12
It's a good thing that the third trilogy has been abandoned, and
retconned to have never been intended. (I've seen what claim to be
plot outlines of them, and they suck, but many SF movie plot outlines
suck till you see the movie.)

Which comes first, #1,2,3 or #4,#5,#6?
Our language sucks at time travel, even for movies produced out of
sequence.

David Johnston

Jun 19, 2012, 7:32:28 PM6/19/12
Once you've had your legs burned off you gain a lot of leeway when it
comes to changing your height.

tphile2

Jun 19, 2012, 7:27:32 PM6/19/12
IMHO the best order to watch it is, #4, #5 then flash back to #1, #2,
#3 and end it with #6 Return of the Jedi. That preserves the spoiler
revelation in Empire and the gap in time of Empire and Return. Insert
the animated stuff where you will.

Juho Julkunen

Jun 19, 2012, 7:43:18 PM6/19/12
In article <0s02u7pdbae1e8tph...@4ax.com>,
jai...@sometimes.sessile.org says...
Well, it was by a mediocre director who hadn't directed anything for a
couple of decades. The other two are better, as Lucas was at least less
rusty.

Episode II has all sorts of interesting parallels to the American Civil
War. (Unfortunately it also has segments tailored for videogames by
someone whose conception of videogames was a decade out of date.)
Episode III is the second best of the bunch after The Empire Strikes
Back.

--
Juho Julkunen

lal_truckee

Jun 19, 2012, 7:57:15 PM6/19/12
On 6/19/12 3:40 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 6/19/2012 3:40 PM, lal_truckee wrote:

>> Gully Foyle is my name
>> And Terra is my nation
>> Deep space is my dwelling place
>> The stars my destination
>>
> A travesty (deserved too!) of the verse some nineteenth century Scottish
> kids were compelled to write into their school books (names as
> appropriate).

Older than that. Wikipedia says of the TT doggerel that the "quatrains
are based on a poetic form that was popular in England and the United
States during the 18th-to-mid-20th centuries, in which a person stated
their name, country, city or town, and a religious homily (often,
"Heaven's my destination") within the rhyming four-line structure..."
plus a bunch of other stuff that will lead me astray unless I abandon
the topic immediately, so I shall.

I like the way Bester works the form to specify Gully Foyle's evolution.

lal_truckee

Jun 19, 2012, 8:01:58 PM6/19/12
On 6/19/12 4:18 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> I've seen what claim to be
> plot outlines of them, and they suck, but many SF movie plot outlines
> suck till you see the movie

All too many SF movie plot outlines suck even more after you see the movie.

Walter Bushell

Jun 19, 2012, 8:38:15 PM6/19/12
In article
<b7873631-631e-4f40...@j25g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:

> IMHO the best order to watch it is, #4, #5 then flash back to #1, #2,
> #3 and end it with #6 Return of the Jedi. That preserves the spoiler
> revelation in Empire and the gap in time of Empire and Return. Insert
> the animated stuff where you will.

IMAO, #4,#5,#6 and the others never happened on my timeline.

--
This space unintentionally left blank.

Greg Goss

Jun 19, 2012, 9:17:19 PM6/19/12
How about "The Phantom Edit"? My videos disk died without a backup
before I ever watched it. Apparently, someone trimmed the worst
twenty minutes off the official version, and perhaps added back in
some of the lost stuff from the DVD.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 19, 2012, 9:26:16 PM6/19/12
In article <jrqutu$se8$1...@dont-email.me>,
Hey! Turning back and immediately dying means he doesn't have to
risk temptation again.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 19, 2012, 9:27:06 PM6/19/12
In article <proto-7381B7....@news.panix.com>,
Sibling!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 19, 2012, 9:54:53 PM6/19/12
The best order to watch is Star Wars, ESB, and RotJ. I don't know what
you're doing with all those silly other numbers.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Catherine Jefferson

Jun 19, 2012, 9:56:09 PM6/19/12
Frank Chalmers, Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson. Clark, Podkayne's
11-year-old brother in Podkayne of Mars, Robert Heinlein. Mark, Miles
Vorkosigan's brother/clone, in Brother in Arms and Mirror Dance, Lois
McMaster Bujold. Brother Edward, Passing through Gethsemane, Babylon 5,
Season 3, J. Michael Straczynski. (This particular Babylon 5 episode is
one of the finest works of Christian performing art I've ever seen, and
Straczynski is an atheist of Russian Jewish extraction. Go figure.)

I'm sure other people can think of other examples. :-)

--
Catherine Jefferson <tw8...@ergosphere.net>
Blog/Personal: http://www.ergosphere.net

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jun 19, 2012, 11:05:47 PM6/19/12
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 01:27:06 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <proto-7381B7....@news.panix.com>,
>Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>>In article
>><b7873631-631e-4f40...@j25g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>> tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO the best order to watch it is, #4, #5 then flash back to #1, #2,
>>> #3 and end it with #6 Return of the Jedi. That preserves the spoiler
>>> revelation in Empire and the gap in time of Empire and Return. Insert
>>> the animated stuff where you will.
>>
>>IMAO, #4,#5,#6 and the others never happened on my timeline.
>
>Sibling!

We're a big family.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 19, 2012, 11:16:34 PM6/19/12
In article <jrqutu$se8$1...@dont-email.me>,
David Johnston <davidjo...@block.com> wrote:
Well, in fantasy, _A Christmas Carol_ would be an obvious choice.

After that, um..

Thomas Covenant in various of his adventures.

Willie Garvin's origin story.

Gee I thought I could think of a lot more. I'm sure that the
dissolute drunk who pulls it all together for one more shot at
doing the right thing is almost an archetype, but I'm not coming up
with a lot of SF examples. Haymitch in the first _Hunger Games_ book
perhaps. I'm sure Laumer did it somewhere..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 19, 2012, 11:18:29 PM6/19/12
In article <a4cml5...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>In article
>><b7873631-631e-4f40...@j25g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>> tphile2 <tph...@cableone.net> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO the best order to watch it is, #4, #5 then flash back to #1, #2,
>>> #3 and end it with #6 Return of the Jedi. That preserves the spoiler
>>> revelation in Empire and the gap in time of Empire and Return. Insert
>>> the animated stuff where you will.
>>
>>IMAO, #4,#5,#6 and the others never happened on my timeline.
>
>How about "The Phantom Edit"? My videos disk died without a backup
>before I ever watched it. Apparently, someone trimmed the worst
>twenty minutes off the official version, and perhaps added back in
>some of the lost stuff from the DVD.

The IMAX edit of TPM was much better than the regular release. (At that
point IMAX had a hard 2 hour limit, since lifted iirc).

Shawn Wilson

Jun 19, 2012, 11:44:35 PM6/19/12
On Jun 19, 3:56 pm, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org>
wrote:

> And suddenly gaining a foot of height? I always wondered about that,
> but not enough to go watch the rest of the later trilogy after the
> execrable first movie.

His mechanical replacement arms and legs were spec'd differently than
the originals. Now you don't have to see them again. You can thank
me any time.

Shawn Wilson

Jun 19, 2012, 11:45:17 PM6/19/12
On Jun 19, 4:27 pm, tphile2 <tphi...@cableone.net> wrote:

> IMHO the best order to watch it is, #4, #5 then flash back to #1, #2,
> #3 and end it with #6 Return of the Jedi.  That preserves the spoiler
> revelation in Empire and the gap in time of Empire and Return.  Insert
> the animated stuff where you will.

Ok, you hold George Lucas down...

Butch Malahide

Jun 19, 2012, 11:39:21 PM6/19/12
On Jun 19, 10:16 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:

> Well, in fantasy, _A Christmas Carol_ would be an obvious choice.
>
> After that, um..
>
> Thomas Covenant in various of his adventures.
>
> Willie Garvin's origin story.

Plastic Man!

> Gee I thought I could think of a lot more.  I'm sure that the
> dissolute drunk who pulls it all together for one more shot at
> doing the right thing is almost an archetype, but I'm not coming up
> with a lot of SF examples.  Haymitch in the first _Hunger Games_ book
> perhaps.  I'm sure Laumer did it somewhere..

Billy Danger in Laumer's _Galactic Odyssey_? Lawrence Smith in
Heinlein's _Double Star_?

Don Kuenz

Jun 20, 2012, 2:14:07 AM6/20/12
John wrote:
> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
> of the main characters.

The protagonist in "Logan's Run" at first kills runners before
becoming a runner himself and fighting on behalf of runners.

"Second Foundation" offers up mandatory redemption when a
not-quite-sufficiently-subtle antagonist named "Mule" gets his mind
right after a mentalist does the old Jedi Mind Trick ploy.

"Triplanetary" offers up group redemption, which takes the form of
Earth making peace with Nevians.

--
Don Kuenz

Robert Carnegie

Jun 20, 2012, 7:06:18 AM6/20/12
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:16:34 AM UTC+1, Ted Nolan &lt;tednolan&gt; wrote:
> Gee I thought I could think of a lot more. I'm sure that the
> dissolute drunk who pulls it all together for one more shot at
> doing the right thing is almost an archetype, but I'm not coming up
> with a lot of SF examples. Haymitch in the first _Hunger Games_ book
> perhaps. I'm sure Laumer did it somewhere..

Giles Habibula in "The Legion of Space" has
the drunk angle totally covered. It's a
career choice, and, goodness, his surname
glugs like pouring from a bottle.

For a villain suddenly doing the good thing
and immediately getting killed (avoiding the
social awkwardness that arises otherwise
when a war criminal saves the day), we need
a volunteer to check out TV Tropes.
So if /you'd/ be willing to sober up......

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 20, 2012, 8:11:57 AM6/20/12
On 6/20/12 7:06 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:

> For a villain suddenly doing the good thing
> and immediately getting killed (avoiding the
> social awkwardness that arises otherwise
> when a war criminal saves the day), we need
> a volunteer to check out TV Tropes.
> So if /you'd/ be willing to sober up......

That's called Redemption Equals Death, at
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedemptionEqualsDeath

Checking the "Literature" section, since this is r.a.sf.w, and only
mentioning ones I know...

Severus Snape tops the list, really -- became a Death Eater as a young
man, that cost him the one thing he truly cared about, and spent the
rest of his life making up for that, and died right after telling Harry
the last piece of the puzzle.

Boromir from LotR. While he wasn't a villain per se, he was a huge
dickwad for much of the journey, refused to listen to anyone, and
momentarily went nuts and tried to take the Ring. Then he had an
epiphany, realized that everyone had been RIGHT about him, and died in
his Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Ooo, I'd forgotten about *Ellidyr* from the Prydain Chronicles. Total
arrogant jerk throughout the book, decides to steal the credit for
finding the Cauldron, then, when the bad guys are about to get control
of it again, throws himself into the Cauldron, sacrificing his life to
destroy it.

John H.

Jun 20, 2012, 8:57:19 AM6/20/12
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. You have given me a good
list with which to start.

I am not so much looking for evel character that have sudden
transfermation (i.e. the Darth Vader of film). I am looking for
novels where one of the main plot threads slow transformation over
time of an evil/unlikable character into a sympathetic or heroic
character.

Thanks,
John

jack...@bright.net

Jun 20, 2012, 9:30:43 AM6/20/12
Juho Julkunen wrote:

>In article <0s02u7pdbae1e8tph...@4ax.com>,
>jai...@sometimes.sessile.org says...

[Star Wars: Episode I

>Well, it was by a mediocre director who hadn't directed anything for a
>couple of decades. The other two are better, as Lucas was at least less
>rusty.
>
>Episode II has all sorts of interesting parallels to the American Civil
>War. (Unfortunately it also has segments tailored for videogames by
>someone whose conception of videogames was a decade out of date.)
>Episode III is the second best of the bunch after The Empire Strikes
>Back.

How can that be, when episode II is better than III? Castigated
though I may be, I will even state that Attack of the Clones improves
upon the plot structure of The Empire Strikes Back while repeating it.

--
-Jack

Robert Carnegie

Jun 20, 2012, 10:02:24 AM6/20/12
There's a lot of comics where a super-villain
character gets their own title, or gets
a spot on a superhero team, and usually
has to be made not-just-a-villain.
On the other hand, sometimes the story is
on the basis that it's fun to read about an
evil person being evil.

In Avengers, Wonder Man had a
Redemption-Equals-Death, but he got better.
Then he had a couple of turns of being an
antagonist, which is what I saw him doing
last: criticising the Avengers by leading
a gang against them. I prefer when these
cases are an honest difference of opinion
and not just mind-control by a villain.

Magneto in the X-Men got more interesting
in the 1970s under Chris Claremont;
this is also in the movies. He's now
/in/ the X-Men in the comics. There's
/lots/ of ex-villains in the Avengers
/and/ the X-Men.

Deadpool was an eccentric and vicious
assassin - and somewhat a parody of
Deadshot - but when he got his own
continuing title comic, he reformed
and tried to give up murdering - which
made it difficult to earn money as
an assassin. But he gets by. I think
he killed someone while under mind control,
at least one time.

Taskmaster was rewritten rather radically
in his limited series; now he's amnesiac,
so he's a villain character but he doesn't
know why - and sometimes he's the good guy.

Also, see particularly the early exploits of
The Thunderbolts - or similar themes in
The Liberty Project.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 20, 2012, 10:16:33 AM6/20/12
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:11:57 PM UTC+1, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> Redemption Equals Death, at
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedemptionEqualsDeath
>
> Checking the "Literature" section, since this is r.a.sf.w, and only
> mentioning ones I know...
>
> Severus Snape tops the list, really -- became a Death Eater as a young
> man, that cost him the one thing he truly cared about, and spent the
> rest of his life making up for that, and died right after telling Harry
> the last piece of the puzzle.

Of course, most of the time, we didn't
really know that Snape was doing all that -
only that Dumbledore trusted him. And then
that looked like a big mistake...

Also, Snape seems to still believe in the
ethos of Slytherin House, the section of
the school that he leads; in the
Occlumency lessons, he makes the
argument that self-discipline is the
Prime Directive. Making other people do
what you want - politics - appears to
be the Second, although I suppose it only
works on people who aren't sufficiently
good at the Prime one. And we're probably
meant to see this as misguided.

So, the surface impression is that
the Slytherins are around just to be the
bad guys and to get beaten at Quidditch
and at House Points by Harry Potter as
often as possible, and Snape the snarling
villain, but there's all of this going
on as well. Plus James Potter and his
friends turning out to be school bullies -
and determined, too.

If you remember me explaining my theory
that the Hogwarts House Sorting aims to
bring out not the characteristics that
the student, aged 11 or 12, already has,
but their unrealised potential, then
I don't need to do it all yet again, except
to note again that many of the students in
Gryffindor, the house for heroics, mostly
aren't heroic to start with - they grow
into it.

Joel Polowin

Jun 20, 2012, 11:04:24 AM6/20/12
On Jun 19, 9:56 pm, Catherine Jefferson <spamt...@spambouncer.org>
> Brother Edward, Passing through Gethsemane, Babylon 5,
> Season 3, J. Michael Straczynski. (This particular Babylon 5 episode is
> one of the finest works of Christian performing art I've ever seen, and
> Straczynski is an atheist of Russian Jewish extraction. Go figure.)

Brother Edward is an odd case, since he's a very well-meaning
fellow when we first see him. The evil is in his past, and the
transformation from evil to "good" likewise.

G'kar is another character who initially is quite unpleasant,
but changes. He even comments on this in his message to Ta'Lon
at the end of the series. "You may believe you are not ready,
but you are as ready as I was when I first came to Babylon 5.
Check the records; I think you'll be amused."

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 20, 2012, 11:05:54 AM6/20/12
In article <03fddb83-7dac-4c29...@googlegroups.com>,
I did one of those: Saradoc in _The Interior Life._ Switches
from good to bad and back to good again and dies, QUICKLY,
before he can switch back.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 20, 2012, 11:06:42 AM6/20/12
In article <jrsemd$eh1$1...@dont-email.me>,
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>On 6/20/12 7:06 AM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>

>> For a villain suddenly doing the good thing
>> and immediately getting killed (avoiding the
>> social awkwardness that arises otherwise
>> when a war criminal saves the day), we need
>> a volunteer to check out TV Tropes.
>> So if /you'd/ be willing to sober up......
>
> That's called Redemption Equals Death, at
>http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedemptionEqualsDeath
>
> Checking the "Literature" section, since this is r.a.sf.w, and only
>mentioning ones I know...
>
> Severus Snape tops the list, really -- became a Death Eater as a young
>man, that cost him the one thing he truly cared about, and spent the
>rest of his life making up for that, and died right after telling Harry
>the last piece of the puzzle.
>
> Boromir from LotR. While he wasn't a villain per se, he was a huge
>dickwad for much of the journey, refused to listen to anyone, and
>momentarily went nuts and tried to take the Ring. Then he had an
>epiphany, realized that everyone had been RIGHT about him, and died in
>his Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Boromir is a tragic hero: that is, a hero with a tragic flaw, and
Boromir's is envy.

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 11:47:06 AM6/20/12
Jaimie Vandenbergh sent the following on 6/19/2012 5:56 PM:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:52:53 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
> <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:

>>> The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
>>> trilogy.
>>
>> MY recollection of Vader at the end of the second Star Wars trilogy is
>> of him donning the black suit for the first time and breathing raspily
>> and forebodingly.
>
> And suddenly gaining a foot of height? I always wondered about that,
> but not enough to go watch the rest of the later trilogy after the
> execrable first movie.

He received a hardware upgrade after a bit of fire damage.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
http://www.goodreads.com/jimgysin/

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 11:48:44 AM6/20/12
David Johnston sent the following on 6/19/2012 5:36 PM:
> On 6/19/2012 1:58 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
>> "John H." <john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
>>> of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
>>> character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
>>> stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
>>> characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
>>> heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I’d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.
>>
>> The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
>> trilogy.
>>
> Bah. Doing one "good" thing and then immediately dying. I is
> unimpressed.

If you think about it, we saw him kill a lot more of the incompetent and
jackbooted thug types in the original trilogy than rebels. (There was
quite an attrition rate for the admiralty there for a while.) And it's
not as if he was the one who opted to blow up an entire planet. Plus,
his redemption in VI was absolutely necessary for things to have a happy
ending. So I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack here.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
If you are reading this, it means that I don't have anything better to

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jun 20, 2012, 12:34:30 PM6/20/12
Are we saying that the whole Darth Vader schtick is a case of 'short
guy syndrome'?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I hope I live long enough
to vindicate my pessimism -- http://www.boasas.com/?c=1108

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 2:46:07 PM6/20/12
Jaimie Vandenbergh sent the following on 6/20/2012 11:34 AM:
Overcompensation is never pretty. :)

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI

A.G.McDowell

Jun 20, 2012, 4:15:22 PM6/20/12
On 19/06/2012 19:00, John H. wrote:
> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
> of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
> character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
> stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
> characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
> heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>
> Any suggestions? I’d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.
>
> Thanks,
> John
I don't know why Sea Wasp hasn't brought it up, but what about Marc C.
DuQuesne from E.E.Smith's Skylark books? He starts out as an almost
black and white villain (exception - his word is his bond) and ends up
saving humanity (albeit, mostly so he can use some chunk of it for his
own personal mega-experiment in eugenics). In all of this, his character
arguably doesn't change that much, but his circumstances change a lot -
which is worth thinking about in conjunction with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_attribution_error. Also, of
course, he completely steals the show.

David DeLaney

Jun 20, 2012, 5:53:08 PM6/20/12
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
>If you remember me explaining my theory
>that the Hogwarts House Sorting aims to
>bring out not the characteristics that
>the student, aged 11 or 12, already has,
>but their unrealised potential, then
>I don't need to do it all yet again, except
>to note again that many of the students in
>Gryffindor, the house for heroics, mostly
>aren't heroic to start with - they grow into it.

Heh. A pair of quotes for you then:

_But what would the Hufflepuffs find in me, who never belonged in their
House? Acid words, cutting wit, disdain for their inability to keep up with
me?_
Now it was the Hat's thoughts that were slow, hesitant. "I must Sort for the
good of all the students in all the Houses... but I think you could learn to
be a good Hufflepuff, and not too out of place there. You will be happier in
Hufflepuff than in any other house; that is the truth."
[...]
_Professor McGonagall said that if 'the one who did the Sorting' tried to
push me into Gryffindor, I was to remind you that she might well be
Headmistress someday, at which point she would have the authority to set you
on fire._
"Tell her I called her an impudent youngster and told her to get off my
lawn."

---

"I've decided it's not fair if mysterious old wizards give some people a
chance to be heroes and not others, and also I've read history books and
there aren't nearly enough girl heroes in them. So I thought I'd just drop
by and see if you wanted to be a hero and why are you glowing like that?"

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Robert Carnegie

Jun 20, 2012, 5:48:56 PM6/20/12
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:48:44 PM UTC+1, Jim G. wrote:> [Darth Vader]
> If you think about it, we saw him kill a lot more of the incompetent and
> jackbooted thug types in the original trilogy than rebels. (There was
> quite an attrition rate for the admiralty there for a while.) And it's
> not as if he was the one who opted to blow up an entire planet.

Wasn't he project manager on both Death Stars?
And the first thing he does is to seize
Princess Leia's spaceship - and there isn't
room for lots of prisoners on the Happy Fun
Ball of Death. On the other hand, there's a
convenient chute from the cells to the trash
compactor. Complete with trash swamp monster.
(I do observe, however, that the monster
doesn't seem to be recently fed.)

JRStern

Jun 20, 2012, 6:07:51 PM6/20/12
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:58:53 -0600, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>"John H." <john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
>
>>I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
>>of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
>>character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
>>stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
>>characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
>>heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>>
>>Any suggestions? I’d be interested in novels outside of SF as well.
>
>The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
>trilogy.

How about Han Solo coming back to zap Vader at the end of the
original?

J.

JRStern

Jun 20, 2012, 6:13:37 PM6/20/12
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:00:22 -0700 (PDT), "John H."
<john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:

>I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
>of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
>character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
>stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
>characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
>heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).

Louis Wu overcomes his tasp addiction and it even comes in handy in
Ringworld Engineers.

In Glen Cook's "The White Rose" the shady sorcerer Bomanz redeems
himself by sacrificing himself to defeat a dragon. For that matter,
The Lady redeems herself as a lesser evil than her husband The
Dominator, and in fact it's never quite clear what her evil side ever
consisted of. Cook loves this theme, and a standalone short story
"Call For The Dead" is about the damned crew of a ghost pirate ship,
and how if they can just figure it out there is a way off after all,
which apparently consists of a sacrificial act to benefit another -
even another pirate.

J.

Kip Williams

Jun 20, 2012, 6:21:36 PM6/20/12
JRStern wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:00:22 -0700 (PDT), "John H."
> <john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
>> of the main characters. The best SF example I can think of is the
>> character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much
>> stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
>> characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
>> heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).
>
> Louis Wu overcomes his tasp addiction and it even comes in handy in
> Ringworld Engineers.

SPOILER:

Benito seems headed for some sort of redemption at the end of INFERNO.

Kip W
rasfw

Dr. Rufo

Jun 20, 2012, 7:31:36 PM6/20/12
Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
least *I* might better appreciate them.

Thanks,

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jun 20, 2012, 7:34:22 PM6/20/12
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:31:36 -0700, "Dr. Rufo" <bay...@verizon.net>
wrote:
>David DeLaney wrote:
>>
>> Heh. A pair of quotes for you then:
>>
>> _But what would the Hufflepuffs find in me, who never belonged in their
>> House? Acid words, cutting wit, disdain for their inability to keep up with
>> me?_
>> Now it was the Hat's thoughts that were slow, hesitant. "I must Sort for the
>> good of all the students in all the Houses... but I think you could learn to
>> be a good Hufflepuff, and not too out of place there. You will be happier in
>> Hufflepuff than in any other house; that is the truth."
>> [...]
>> _Professor McGonagall said that if 'the one who did the Sorting' tried to
>> push me into Gryffindor, I was to remind you that she might well be
>> Headmistress someday, at which point she would have the authority to set you
>> on fire._
>> "Tell her I called her an impudent youngster and told her to get off my
>> lawn."
>>

> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>least *I* might better appreciate them.

Oho! You have fun in store. Have a link:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality

Don't be put off by the fanfic label.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"People can be educated beyond their intelligence" -- Marilyn vos Savant

Jim G.

Jun 20, 2012, 7:32:35 PM6/20/12
Robert Carnegie sent the following on 6/20/2012 4:48 PM:
> On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:48:44 PM UTC+1, Jim G. wrote:> [Darth Vader]
>> If you think about it, we saw him kill a lot more of the incompetent and
>> jackbooted thug types in the original trilogy than rebels. (There was
>> quite an attrition rate for the admiralty there for a while.) And it's
>> not as if he was the one who opted to blow up an entire planet.
>
> Wasn't he project manager on both Death Stars?

No. He was head of the Promotions Board.

> And the first thing he does is to seize
> Princess Leia's spaceship - and there isn't
> room for lots of prisoners on the Happy Fun
> Ball of Death. On the other hand, there's a
> convenient chute from the cells to the trash
> compactor. Complete with trash swamp monster.
> (I do observe, however, that the monster
> doesn't seem to be recently fed.)

Heh. There's so much that's truly mock-worthy and yet I still enjoy it
whenever I give it another look.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
"I find it's best if you just ... go with it." -- Lincoln Lee, providing

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 20, 2012, 7:45:34 PM6/20/12
Undoubtedly from that popular fanfic "Harry Potter and the Methods of
Rationality".

> Thanks,

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 20, 2012, 7:47:13 PM6/20/12
On 6/20/12 7:34 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:31:36 -0700, "Dr. Rufo"<bay...@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>> David DeLaney wrote:
>>>
>>> Heh. A pair of quotes for you then:
>>>
>>> _But what would the Hufflepuffs find in me, who never belonged in their
>>> House? Acid words, cutting wit, disdain for their inability to keep up with
>>> me?_
>>> Now it was the Hat's thoughts that were slow, hesitant. "I must Sort for the
>>> good of all the students in all the Houses... but I think you could learn to
>>> be a good Hufflepuff, and not too out of place there. You will be happier in
>>> Hufflepuff than in any other house; that is the truth."
>>> [...]
>>> _Professor McGonagall said that if 'the one who did the Sorting' tried to
>>> push me into Gryffindor, I was to remind you that she might well be
>>> Headmistress someday, at which point she would have the authority to set you
>>> on fire._
>>> "Tell her I called her an impudent youngster and told her to get off my
>>> lawn."
>>>

>> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>> least *I* might better appreciate them.
>
> Oho! You have fun in store.

Or not, depending on taste!
Yes, it couldn't very well have been anything else.

> Don't be put off by the fanfic label.

Fanfic is just "slush pile". Which means that most of it is unmitigated
trash, but buried within will be some good stuff, and a few gems that
shine like the sun.

Dr. Rufo

Jun 20, 2012, 8:14:39 PM6/20/12
Thank you for the prompt response.
I recognize the title and recall clearly that I once some time trying
to wade through the first few pages.
Nothing there appealed to me.
Thanks again.

Dr. Rufo

Jun 20, 2012, 8:22:25 PM6/20/12

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 6/20/12 7:34 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:31:36 -0700, "Dr. Rufo"<bay...@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>> David DeLaney wrote:

< snip >
>>> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>>> least *I* might better appreciate them.
>>
>> Oho! You have fun in store.
>
> Or not, depending on taste!
>
> Have a link:
>> http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality
>>

> Yes, it couldn't very well have been anything else.
>

>> Don't be put off by the fanfic label.
>
> Fanfic is just "slush pile". Which means that most of it is
> unmitigated trash, but buried within will be some good stuff, and a few
> gems that shine like the sun.

Your last two lines bring to mind Heinlein's puff for _The Mote in
God's Eye_:
"possibly the finest science fiction novel I have ever read" ;-)

Dr. Rufo

Jun 20, 2012, 8:28:17 PM6/20/12

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> On 6/20/12 7:31 PM, Dr. Rufo wrote:
>>

>> David DeLaney wrote:
>>> Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

< snip >

>> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>> least *I* might better appreciate them.
>>

> Undoubtedly from that popular fanfic "Harry Potter and the Methods
> of Rationality".
>
>> Thanks,

Apropos of nothing at all, I did want to tell you that I very much
enjoyed reading your _Grand Central Arena_ which I only got to a couple
of weeks ago. I was entertained on several levels and I'm eagerly
awaiting the sequel.
Congratulations! It represents some very good work!
Thank you again for the enjoyment I derived from my reading it.

David Dyer-Bennet

Jun 20, 2012, 8:30:14 PM6/20/12
I agree Duquesne is a fascinating example. He certainly starts out
willing to go WAY too far to further his own small self-interests (he's
clearly done murder). I'm not sure he actually gets any better,
though -- he just gets grander ambitions.

At the end of Skylark Duquesne, he and his friend from the Rare Metals
Lab go off to found their meritocratic empire. I do wonder how Smith
imagined that turning out; in some ways, I think Seaton's experience on
Ray-See-Nee or whatever it was called kind of pre-figures how it has to
turn out -- business as usual will win out. So it's going to be a grand
tragedy for Duquesne and Hunky. I wonder who would be best to write
that story?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet

Jun 20, 2012, 8:32:21 PM6/20/12
"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> writes:

> On 6/20/12 7:34 PM, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:31:36 -0700, "Dr. Rufo"<bay...@verizon.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>>> least *I* might better appreciate them.
>>
>> Oho! You have fun in store.
>
> Or not, depending on taste!

I found the first three chapters uttery brilliant. And didn't make it
past something like chapter 7, I think.

Dr. Rufo

Jun 20, 2012, 8:33:48 PM6/20/12
Shucks! What I meant to type was: "I once spent some time trying to

Robert Carnegie

Jun 20, 2012, 9:08:08 PM6/20/12
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:53:08 PM UTC+1, David DeLaney wrote:
> Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
> >If you remember me explaining my theory
> >that the Hogwarts House Sorting aims to
> >bring out not the characteristics that
> >the student, aged 11 or 12, already has,
> >but their unrealised potential, then
> >I don't need to do it all yet again, except
> >to note again that many of the students in
> >Gryffindor, the house for heroics, mostly
> >aren't heroic to start with - they grow into it.
>
> Heh. A pair of quotes for you then: [...]

I don't know this material either. I think
in my version, Hufflepuff is the house for
students with nothing wrong with them.
Allowing that the Hat is synthesised from
the brains of four founding wizards with
at least three biased theories of picking
the best students, including "pure blood",
and is a compromise rather than one wise
authority's best effort. And it /is/ liable
to Sort you for unrealised potential that
you have in fact started to realise yourself -
so that it /does/ follow your pre-formed
identity. And, it doesn't always turn out
ideally well.

But, why wasn't Cedric Diggory learning
heroism in Gryffindor? I propose that he
didn't need to. It was brought out in
him anyway. Whereas Hermione Grainger
and Neville Longbottom did have to
learn that.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 20, 2012, 9:53:55 PM6/20/12
On 6/20/12 8:28 PM, Dr. Rufo wrote:

> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> < snip >
>

>>> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>>> least *I* might better appreciate them.
>>>

>> Undoubtedly from that popular fanfic "Harry Potter and the Methods of
>> Rationality".
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>

> Apropos of nothing at all, I did want to tell you that I very much
> enjoyed reading your _Grand Central Arena_ which I only got to a couple
> of weeks ago. I was entertained on several levels and I'm eagerly
> awaiting the sequel.

Thanks! I'm about two chapters from finishing it, I think.

> Congratulations! It represents some very good work!
> Thank you again for the enjoyment I derived from my reading it.

Thank YOU for reading. I appreciate it! :)

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 20, 2012, 9:55:11 PM6/20/12
I stopped around chapter 7 or 8 myself, but then made a promise that I
WOULD read it if a certain event happened. I was told the event
happened, and read the story, and found I was rooked, at least in my view.

David DeLaney

Jun 20, 2012, 11:49:15 PM6/20/12
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>"Dr. Rufo" <bay...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Would you, please, provide the source(s) of these quotes so that, at
>>least *I* might better appreciate them.
>
>Oho! You have fun in store. Have a link:
>< http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/
Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality >

>Don't be put off by the fanfic label.

It is in the top ten fanfics ever written, I think. (Including some of the
published ones.) It's not for everyone - Sea Wasp doesn't really like it that
much, for example.

The quotes are from chapter 10 and chapter 69. It's not finished, though
there's been a delay since the last posted chapter. Right now it reaches to
around May or so of first year. It's currently longer than the first four
canon books put together...

David DeLaney

Jun 20, 2012, 11:52:11 PM6/20/12
JRStern <JRS...@foobar.invalid> wrote:
>Cook loves this theme, and a standalone short story
>"Call For The Dead" is about the damned crew of a ghost pirate ship,
>and how if they can just figure it out there is a way off after all,
>which apparently consists of a sacrificial act to benefit another -
>even another pirate.

There are several stories about that ship and crew, actually; some more
appear in An Empire Unacquainted With Defeat, I think it is.

David DeLaney

Jun 21, 2012, 12:00:41 AM6/21/12
Dr. Rufo <bay...@verizon.net> wrote:
>Dr. Rufo wrote:
>> Thank you for the prompt response.
>> I recognize the title and recall clearly that I once some time
>> trying to wade through the first few pages.
>> Nothing there appealed to me.
>> Thanks again.
>
> Shucks! What I meant to type was: "I once spent some time trying to
>wade through the first few pages."

Sadface. Oh well. It has its various moments of WTF or preachiness, but also
its moments of Awesome. I guess maybe possibly my having not top-quality
finely-honed tastes allows me to enjoy it rather more?

(And yeah, Harry's an eleven-year-old socially-maladjusted dick in the first
several pages. He gets his first real comeuppance on page 10 while interacting
with the Sorting Hat, and several more afterwards, until he himself realizes
that yes, there DOES seem to be Something Wrong With Harry Potter... and
meanwhile Draco Malfoy, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, and others are
each stealing their own corners of the scenery to gnaw upon. And Professors
Quirrel, Snape, and McGonagall, and the Headmaster Albus Percival Wulfric Brian
Dumbledore...)

David DeLaney

Jun 21, 2012, 1:09:39 AM6/21/12
David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>It is in the top ten fanfics ever written, I think. (Including some of the
>published ones.)

In my defense, this is only my own opinion. I'm not trying to make it into
physical law or anything.

Dave, realizing how the above sounded only AFTER posting it

Moriarty

Jun 21, 2012, 12:49:02 AM6/21/12
On Jun 21, 3:09 pm, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:
> David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> >It is in the top ten fanfics ever written, I think. (Including some of the
> >published ones.)
>
> In my defense, this is only my own opinion. I'm not trying to make it into
> physical law or anything.

All my opinions are immutable physical laws. Why should yours be any
different?

-Moriarty

David Goldfarb

Jun 21, 2012, 3:28:36 AM6/21/12
In article <slrnju553...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,
David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>>< http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/
> Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality >

Also <http://hpmor.com/>, where you can view the Author's Notes and
supplementary material as well.

>Right now it reaches to
>around May or so of first year. It's currently longer than the first four
>canon books put together...

Well, to be fair the author seems to be cramming all the thematic
material of the entire series into that first year.

--
David Goldfarb | "Life is a simile."
goldf...@gmail.com |

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 21, 2012, 8:07:51 AM6/21/12
On 6/21/12 1:09 AM, David DeLaney wrote:
> David DeLaney<d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>> It is in the top ten fanfics ever written, I think. (Including some of the
>> published ones.)
>
> In my defense, this is only my own opinion. I'm not trying to make it into
> physical law or anything.

No, you put in an "I think", which takes away the Pronouncement Of God
characteristic.

I don't particularly LIKE HP&tMoR, but it IS extremely well written and
a perfectly cromulent story, so it's certainly way up there in quality.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 21, 2012, 8:10:53 AM6/21/12
On 6/21/12 3:28 AM, David Goldfarb wrote:
> In article<slrnju553...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,
> David DeLaney<d...@vic.com> wrote:
>>> < http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/
>> Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality>
>
> Also<http://hpmor.com/>, where you can view the Author's Notes and
> supplementary material as well.
>
>> Right now it reaches to
>> around May or so of first year. It's currently longer than the first four
>> canon books put together...
>
> Well, to be fair the author seems to be cramming all the thematic
> material of the entire series into that first year.

I'm expecting that he's not going to be doing seven books; Moldywart's
plans are probably going to come totally apart by the end of Year One
and the rest of Harry's days at Hogwarts will be (relatively)
trouble-free (and thus not written about).

Michael Stemper

Jun 21, 2012, 8:15:32 AM6/21/12
In article <ylfkvcil...@dd-b.net>, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> writes:
>"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> writes:

[HP&tMoR]

>>> Oho! You have fun in store.
>>
>> Or not, depending on taste!
>
>I found the first three chapters uttery brilliant. And didn't make it
>past something like chapter 7, I think.

My experience was similar, although I was still raving about it around
Chapter 20. I lost interest in the early 30s, and finally realized it
in the mid-40s.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

Anthony Nance

Jun 21, 2012, 8:35:44 AM6/21/12
David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> JRStern <JRS...@foobar.invalid> wrote:
>>Cook loves this theme, and a standalone short story
>>"Call For The Dead" is about the damned crew of a ghost pirate ship,
>>and how if they can just figure it out there is a way off after all,
>>which apparently consists of a sacrificial act to benefit another -
>>even another pirate.
>
> There are several stories about that ship and crew, actually; some more
> appear in An Empire Unacquainted With Defeat, I think it is.

Yup - and "Call for the Dead" is included in AEUWD.
- Tony

tphile2

Jun 21, 2012, 9:02:56 AM6/21/12
On Jun 20, 6:47 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> >http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of...
>
>         Yes, it couldn't very well have been anything else.
>

> > Don't be put off by the fanfic label.
>
>         Fanfic is just "slush pile". Which means that most of it is unmitigated
> trash, but buried within will be some good stuff, and a few gems that
> shine like the sun.
>
> --
>                       Sea Wasp
>                         /^\
>                         ;;;
> Website:http://www.grandcentralarena.com Blog:http://seawasp.livejournal.com

That can be said about Pro-Fic as well. Both can be from talent and
masters of the craft. It's just that the pro makes a living from it
and the fan is more for the fun and self satisfaction. More and more
I am finding good and even great stories written online, not for sale
but for the fun of it. or other reasons.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jun 21, 2012, 9:20:11 AM6/21/12
On 6/21/12 9:02 AM, tphile2 wrote:
> On Jun 20, 6:47 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

>> Fanfic is just "slush pile". Which means that most of it is unmitigated
>> trash, but buried within will be some good stuff, and a few gems that
>> shine like the sun.

> That can be said about Pro-Fic as well.

Yes, but it's more true for fanfic. Pro-fic is the stuff that GOT OUT
of the slush pile; whether you believe it or not, ALL of it is something
that was considered "good" and stood out above 99% of the competition.

Sturgeon's Law applies twice or maybe three times to fanfic, because
there IS no one sorting out the slush. You're diving into the slush pile
and looking for gold.

Now, fanfic DOES have one huge advantage over most profic -- you can at
least narrow down the KIND of thing you want to find vastly better, with
well-known and objective categories ("Harry Potter", "Star Trek", "CSI
Miami", etc.) which in and of themselves define a huge amount about the
target fics, as opposed to original fiction which you'd have to search
by concepts or keywords which won't be nearly so restrictive unless you
already have a specific idea that you are looking for (that is, it's
easy to search for Honor Harrington if you know that such books exist --
type in "Honor Harrington" -- but if you don't know that specific
character exists, you have to search (assuming a search engine and
database existed) for much broader categories which may not get you
exactly what you want.)

Juho Julkunen

Jun 21, 2012, 10:14:23 AM6/21/12
In article <0a0c8493-a708-4ac0...@googlegroups.com>,
rja.ca...@excite.com says...

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/109.html

--
Juho Julkunen

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Jun 21, 2012, 11:17:01 AM6/21/12
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:15:32 +0000 (UTC),
mste...@walkabout.empros.com (Michael Stemper) wrote:

>In article <ylfkvcil...@dd-b.net>, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> writes:
>
>[HP&tMoR]

>>> Or not, depending on taste!
>>
>>I found the first three chapters uttery brilliant. And didn't make it
>>past something like chapter 7, I think.
>
>My experience was similar, although I was still raving about it around
>Chapter 20. I lost interest in the early 30s, and finally realized it
>in the mid-40s.

The whole three-way-battles thing bored the crap out of me, but it
perked up again straight after.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by infinity is
to contemplate the extent of human stupidity." -- Voltaire

Robert Carnegie

Jun 21, 2012, 11:50:42 AM6/21/12
Good point, but still, how many rooms do they
have that lock from outside?

(Well... probably all of them. The only
person who shouldn't be locked up is the
Emperor, and, duh, Force. No problem.)

A feature of British science fiction show
and novels, _Red Dwarf_, not shown in
_Star Wars_:[*] getting around from place to
place takes a /long/ time. Elevators
have in-flight meals. You can take a
fortnight walking holiday around the
engine deck.

[*] A novel way of getting through a
Death Star /fast/ is depicted in
_Return of the Jedi_.

Mark Zenier

Jun 20, 2012, 1:46:56 PM6/20/12
In article <0gf2u719rmv2j2a69...@4ax.com>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 01:27:06 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
>Heydt) wrote:
>
>>In article <proto-7381B7....@news.panix.com>,
>>Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
>>>In article
>>><b7873631-631e-4f40...@j25g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

>>>IMAO, #4,#5,#6 and the others never happened on my timeline.
>>
>>Sibling!
>
>We're a big family.

Did anyone else not get any further than the promotional TV show
about the making of Phantom Menace?

For me, The "Moment of Total Failure" was the clip showing the cute
little flying alien mechanic surviving gettting sucked through the speed
racer's turbine engine, thereupon I realized that Lucas had turned the
franchise into cartoons for tolerant five year olds. And JarJar as the
floppy alien Stepen Fetchit was just the frosting on the cake.

Saved me the cost of admission, so I guess I won't ask for that hour back.

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com

Michael Stemper

Jun 21, 2012, 1:32:49 PM6/21/12
In article <0di3u7da9ss2ismir...@4ax.com>, jack...@bright.net writes:
>Juho Julkunen wrote:
>>In article <0s02u7pdbae1e8tph...@4ax.com>, jai...@sometimes.sessile.org says...

>[Star Wars: Episode I
>>
>>Well, it was by a mediocre director who hadn't directed anything for a
>>couple of decades. The other two are better, as Lucas was at least less
>>rusty.
>>
>>Episode II has all sorts of interesting parallels to the American Civil
>>War.

I don't recall anything like that, but haven't seen it in several
years. Are the parallels written up on-line somewhere? If not, could
you summarize them?

>>Episode III is the second best of the bunch after The Empire Strikes
>>Back.
>
>How can that be, when episode II is better than III? Castigated
>though I may be, I will even state that Attack of the Clones improves
>upon the plot structure of The Empire Strikes Back while repeating it.

Again, I'm handicapped by having neither a working VCR nor Episode II
on DVD. I really can't think of how the two plots parallel each other.

JRStern

Jun 21, 2012, 3:49:24 PM6/21/12
Now that you mention it, but I think they were at least published
individually and CftD was one of the two or three earliest.

I think I did read one or two others, but that CftD just stood out for
me.

And on the topic - there is a way off for the pirates *individually*.

J.

tinkoo

Jun 22, 2012, 2:39:22 AM6/22/12
Eric Frank Russell - "I Am Nothing"

Evil dictator has a change of heart when he meets a victim of his
senseless violence.

--
http://variety-sf.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/varietysf

Brian M. Scott

Jun 22, 2012, 10:12:59 AM6/22/12
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:00:22 -0700 (PDT), "John H."
<john.he...@jrfcorp.net> wrote in
in rec.arts.sf.written:

> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the
> redemption of one of the main characters. The best SF
> example I can think of is the character of Peter Wiggin
> in the Ender’s Game series. So, not so much stories of
> heroes doing great deeds, but stories of
> fallen/evil/amoral characters that over the course of the
> novel or series morph into heroes (or, at least more
> sympathetic characters).

> Any suggestions? I’d be interested in novels outside of
> SF as well.

L. Jagi Lamplighter's _Prospero's Daughter_ trilogy arguably
fits; Miranda is never wholly unsympathetic, but she
certainly becomes considerably more sympathetic over the
course of the trilogy.

Brian

David Johnston

Jun 22, 2012, 2:58:28 PM6/22/12
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:07:51 PM UTC-6, JRStern wrote:

> >The redemption of Darth Vader at the end of the second Star Wars
> >trilogy.
>
> How about Han Solo coming back to zap Vader at the end of the
> original?
>
> J.

Han Solo's evolution into a dedicated hero is a better example of a redemption story.

Howard Brazee

Jun 22, 2012, 6:14:28 PM6/22/12
It seems that Bujold is constantly having characters doing things that
need redemption - then redeeming themselves.

- James Madison

art...@yahoo.com

Jun 24, 2012, 11:29:12 AM6/24/12
On Jun 19, 2:00 pm, "John H." <john.heitmul...@jrfcorp.net> wrote:
> I am looking for novels where the plot involves the redemption of one
> of the main characters.  The best SF example I can think of is the
> character of Peter Wiggin in the Ender’s Game series.  So, not so much
> stories of heroes doing great deeds, but stories of fallen/evil/amoral
> characters that over the course of the novel or series morph into
> heroes (or, at least more sympathetic characters).

Not a novel, but Another Earth, is a SF-ish movie with that as a main
theme. A young gets in a car accident while under the influence and
kills a woman and her kid and seriously hurts her husband. Meanwhile,
a parallel earth has just been discovered. Her redemption directly
involves the new earth.

William December Starr

Jun 24, 2012, 8:33:02 PM6/24/12
In article <egu6u7t9guuqps44r...@4ax.com>,
JRStern <JRS...@foobar.invalid> said:

> I think I did read one or two others, but that ["Call for the
> Dead"] just stood out for me.
>
> And on the topic - there is a way off for the pirates
> *individually*.

Vaguely on-topic, I remember a short-short story about a crewman who
managed to successfully jump ship off the Flying Dutchman after a
few centuries of service. The punchline was that the vessel that
plucked him out of the water was named the Mary Celeste.

-- wds

jack...@bright.net

Jun 27, 2012, 12:16:01 AM6/27/12
Michael Stemper wrote:

>In article <0di3u7da9ss2ismir...@4ax.com>, jack...@bright.net writes:
>>Juho Julkunen wrote:
>
>>[Star Wars: Episode I
>>>

>>>Episode III is the second best of the bunch after The Empire Strikes
>>>Back.
>>
>>How can that be, when episode II is better than III? Castigated
>>though I may be, I will even state that Attack of the Clones improves
>>upon the plot structure of The Empire Strikes Back while repeating it.
>
>Again, I'm handicapped by having neither a working VCR nor Episode II
>on DVD. I really can't think of how the two plots parallel each other.

Remember Han and Luke have a short adventure at the beginning of ESB,
then go to separate plot threads for most of the movie.

Obi-Wan and Anakin have a short adventure at the beginning of AotC,
chasing the alleged assassin of the Queen (no, she'd been promoted to
Senator by then), then they separate, Obi alone, and Ani with the
Princess... er, Senator. In this movie, Kenobi has the asteroid
chase, the visit to a planet (two!) secretly helping the enemy, the
capture, and the torture. Skywalker has the time alone for mushy
stuff, but still also has an encounter with the Dark Side of the
Force. He's then drawn to rescue his friend, and ends up having to
have his own bacon pulled from the fire. As Lucas now has the full
resources of a galaxy rather than just a rag-tag band of rebels, the
rescue is a much bigger deal. By the last scene of each movie
-Skywalker and the girl staring out a window- we have a sense of
completion in AotC, she's been brought back where she belongs. There's
more story: the Clone Army of the Republic on the march, but not the
feeling that the movie isn't over we get in ESB, with Luke saying,
"Lando, Chewie, we'll meet you at the r---"

(Each prequel movie parallels the construction of it's corresponding
original movie.

(As the two droids meet Luke, who takes them to Old Ben, then to Han
and Chewie, who don't quite take them to Alderaan, but to a place
where they rescue Leia, then on to hook up with the rebels for a big
kaboom and medal ceremony, our two Jedi meet Jar-Jar, who takes them
to the Queen, then to her pilot (and R2 and Padme) who don't quite get
to Coruscant, but they do pick up this kid before talking to the
Senate, breaking the blockade, and declaring peace.

(Revenge starts off assuming backstory, since no one needed rescuing
from the previous movie. Once that's out of the way, our heroes
separate again, to tackle different aspects of the problem... and I'm
not remembering much of it right now...)

--
-Jack

Harold Hill

Jun 27, 2012, 9:43:52 AM6/27/12
On Jun 24, 8:33 pm, wdst...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
> In article <egu6u7t9guuqps44rf66bk07m1sh7fd...@4ax.com>,
> JRStern <JRSt...@foobar.invalid> said:
>
> > I think I did read one or two others, but that ["Call for the
> > Dead"] just stood out for me.
>
> > And on the topic - there is a way off for the pirates
> > *individually*.
>
> Vaguely on-topic, I remember a short-short story about a crewman who
> managed to successfully jump ship off the Flying Dutchman after a
> few centuries of service.  The punchline was that the vessel that
> plucked him out of the water was named the Mary Celeste.
>
> -- wds

"And I Alone Escaped To Tell Thee", Roger Zelanzy?

--
-Harold Hill

Anthony Nance

Jun 27, 2012, 11:59:25 AM6/27/12
Harold Hill <kyle.pel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good catch - that must surely be it. Per isfdb, the actual title is
"And I Only Am Escaped to Tell Thee" , and it appears most notably in
the collection _Unicorn Variations_ (where I first ran across it, but
couldn't remember it by name until mentioned above) and the anthology
_100 Great Fantasy Short Short Stories_ .

Tonny

Dorothy J Heydt

Jun 27, 2012, 12:22:28 PM6/27/12
In article <jsfakt$dja$1...@dont-email.me>,
There's always the Tom Holt novel about the F.D., whose name
(Hal has just informed me) is _Flying Dutch._

And the Charles Addams cartoon, twentieth-century ship with
tattered-looking sailing vessel in background. Signalman to
captain: "Netherlands registry, sir; something about a curse."

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.

Michael Stemper

Jun 29, 2012, 8:49:19 AM6/29/12
In article <6fnku7drcbvht80kc...@4ax.com>, jack...@bright.net writes:
>Michael Stemper wrote:
>>In article <0di3u7da9ss2ismir...@4ax.com>, jack...@bright.net writes:

>>>How can that be, when episode II is better than III? Castigated
>>>though I may be, I will even state that Attack of the Clones improves
>>>upon the plot structure of The Empire Strikes Back while repeating it.
>>
>>Again, I'm handicapped by having neither a working VCR nor Episode II
>>on DVD. I really can't think of how the two plots parallel each other.
>
>Remember Han and Luke have a short adventure at the beginning of ESB,
>then go to separate plot threads for most of the movie.

[snip remainder of nicely thought-out description of parallels]

That all made a lot of sense, and it's (obvioiusly) something that I
never noticed. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.