YASID: Mutant fetus villain?

Tim McDaniel

Jul 22, 2011, 12:04:48 AM7/22/11
Ursula Vernon, of the wonderful Web comic _Digger_ and some amazing
(though tweeish) art, has a question at
http://www.redwombatstudio.com/blog/?p=4714

Mutant fetus villain?

Okay, before I start the what-was-that-book communities, I shall seek
knowledge from you, O vast cross-section of fandom!

Do any of you remember a book--pretty sure it was science
fiction--where the villain was a weird evil fetus thingy? He could
walk around, he was human sized, but he had that freaky fetal head
thing going on, only bigger. Possibly he was telepathic, not entire
clear on that, but he was definitely bad. I recall the weird eyes and
whatnot being rather horribly vividly described and it gave me the
screaming weeblies, and for some reason I forgot it for, oh, twenty
years or so, and now it's poking at my brain with a stick.

I am pretty sure this is neither "Lasher" nor "Demon Seed" which as I
recall also involved freaky mutant fetuses.

Kurt Busiek

Jul 22, 2011, 12:24:01 AM7/22/11

Probably not what she's looking for, but the comic book CAPTAIN VICTORY
AND HIS GALACTIC RANGERS had an awesome villain named Paranex, the
Fighting Fetus.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 22, 2011, 12:43:48 AM7/22/11
In article <j0ast0$lt8$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

Hmm. Well I recall a story (Kuttner?) with a mutant fetus, but he was
still in-utero and telepathically running his parents lives. He got
all flustered as he was about to be born trying to set up a special
environment, and when that didn't happen got all the "super" knocked out
of him at birth and was just a normal baby..

Van Vogt's _The Battle of Forever_ had earthmen (and women) reduced to
super fetuses more or less, but the protag was a hero. (Sort of -- being
a Van Vogt hero, he couldn't be bothered to stop the destruction of Earth
which he was perfectly capable of preventing because he was busy having
a Thalmic pause or something..)
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 22, 2011, 1:36:14 AM7/22/11
In article <98sdg4...@mid.individual.net>,

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>>Do any of you remember a book--pretty sure it was science
>>fiction--where the villain was a weird evil fetus thingy? He could
>>walk around, he was human sized, but he had that freaky fetal head
>>thing going on, only bigger. Possibly he was telepathic, not entire
>>clear on that, but he was definitely bad. I recall the weird eyes and
>>whatnot being rather horribly vividly described and it gave me the
>>screaming weeblies, and for some reason I forgot it for, oh, twenty
>>years or so, and now it's poking at my brain with a stick.

I don't suppose that could by any chance be Jane Gaskell's
_Strange Evil_?

>Hmm. Well I recall a story (Kuttner?) with a mutant fetus, but he was
>still in-utero and telepathically running his parents lives. He got
>all flustered as he was about to be born trying to set up a special
>environment, and when that didn't happen got all the "super" knocked out
>of him at birth and was just a normal baby..

Oh, is that the one where the fetus was writing a novel (dictated
to his mother)? And when he was being born told his mother he
needed an incubator with a tenth normal oxygen? And as he was
born his superness went away and the OB spanked him into
breathing and his mother raised her head and said "Give him one
for me"? I remember reading that long ago in the 1950s; don't
remember title or author.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 22, 2011, 1:58:10 AM7/22/11
In article <LopzK...@kithrup.com>,

Yeah, that's the one. And they sold the novel, then he declined to actually
finish it because he knew the ending and that was enough for him..

Butch Malahide

Jul 22, 2011, 3:33:59 AM7/22/11
On Jul 22, 12:58 am, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
> In article <LopzKE.1...@kithrup.com>,
> Dorothy J Heydt <djhe...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> >In article <98sdg4Fve...@mid.individual.net>,

"Special Delivery" by Damon Knight.

Joyce Haslam

Jul 22, 2011, 7:30:18 AM7/22/11
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 04:04:48 +0000, Tim McDaniel wrote:

> Ursula Vernon, of the wonderful Web comic _Digger_ and some amazing
> (though tweeish) art, has a question at
> http://www.redwombatstudio.com/blog/?p=4714

On her live journal account http://ursulav.livejournal.com/1459472.html
she agreed with me that the book was _Second Stage Lensman_ (need I add
EESmith?).

Joyce.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 22, 2011, 7:52:09 AM7/22/11

Ahhh, that wouldn't have occurred to me, but I can see that. She was
talking about Gharlane's "true" form as revealed to Kim after he (with a
bit of help from Mentor) beat him?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Tim McDaniel

Jul 22, 2011, 8:02:55 AM7/22/11
In article <qa-dnTv4H_LXwrTT...@bt.com>,

rev_ursa wrote there "That's the one I was thinking of.", but that
appears to be someone different from ursulav.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Robert Carnegie

Jul 22, 2011, 8:15:03 AM7/22/11
The Mule in the Foundation books (in a future fallen space empire
where planet Earth is unknown) was freaky, but not that specific way,
if I'm interpreting his description in Wikipedia the same way that you
would. It says he was based on somebody that author Isaac Asimov
knew...

Steve Coltrin

Jul 22, 2011, 3:34:17 PM7/22/11
begin fnord

djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:

> Oh, is that the one where the fetus was writing a novel (dictated
> to his mother)? And when he was being born told his mother he
> needed an incubator with a tenth normal oxygen? And as he was
> born his superness went away and the OB spanked him into
> breathing and his mother raised her head and said "Give him one
> for me"? I remember reading that long ago in the 1950s; don't
> remember title or author.

Damon Knight. Looking at a list of his short stories, I think it's
"Special Delivery".

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Joyce Haslam

Jul 22, 2011, 3:47:55 PM7/22/11
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 07:52:09 -0400, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> On 7/22/11 7:30 AM, Joyce Haslam wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 04:04:48 +0000, Tim McDaniel wrote:
>>
>>> Ursula Vernon, of the wonderful Web comic _Digger_ and some amazing
>>> (though tweeish) art, has a question at
>>> http://www.redwombatstudio.com/blog/?p=4714
>>
>> On her live journal account http://ursulav.livejournal.com/1459472.html
>> she agreed with me that the book was _Second Stage Lensman_ (need I add
>> EESmith?).
>

> Ahhh, that wouldn't have occurred to me, but I can see that. She
> was talking about Gharlane's "true" form as revealed to Kim after he
> (with a bit of help from Mentor) beat him?

That was my idea. However, downthread...

Tim McDaniel wrote:
> rev_ursa wrote there "That's the one I was thinking of.", but that
> appears to be someone different from ursulav.

Ouch! My bad.

Joyce.

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 22, 2011, 4:34:28 PM7/22/11
In article <4eb5e765-7eba-486f...@h17g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

Yes. There's even a picture of him in one of the group photos in
_In Memory Still Green._

Basically, the guy had (a) a very large nose, (b) hyperthyroidism,
which made him skinny and very active and exophthalmic.

*Most* of the Mule's freakiness, of course, was internal.

Suzanne Blom

Jul 22, 2011, 5:19:20 PM7/22/11
On 7/21/2011 11:04 PM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> Ursula Vernon, of the wonderful Web comic _Digger_ and some amazing
> (though tweeish) art, has a question at
> http://www.redwombatstudio.com/blog/?p=4714

> Mutant fetus villain?
>
> Do any of you remember a book--pretty sure it was science
> fiction--where the villain was a weird evil fetus thingy? He could
> walk around, he was human sized, but he had that freaky fetal head
> thing going on, only bigger. Possibly he was telepathic, not entire
> clear on that, but he was definitely bad. I recall the weird eyes and
> whatnot being rather horribly vividly described and it gave me the
> screaming weeblies, and for some reason I forgot it for, oh, twenty
> years or so, and now it's poking at my brain with a stick.

The thread title made me think of a Phyllis Gottlieb (which I can't find
on my shelves) but this doesn't sound like it.

Butch Malahide

Jul 22, 2011, 7:24:11 PM7/22/11
On Jul 22, 2:34 pm, Steve Coltrin <spcol...@omcl.org> wrote:
> begin  fnord

> djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>
> > Oh, is that the one where the fetus was writing a novel (dictated
> > to his mother)?  And when he was being born told his mother he
> > needed an incubator with a tenth normal oxygen?  And as he was
> > born his superness went away and the OB spanked him into
> > breathing and his mother raised her head and said "Give him one
> > for me"?  I remember reading that long ago in the 1950s; don't
> > remember title or author.
>
> Damon Knight.  Looking at a list of his short stories, I think it's
> "Special Delivery".

Yes, that's the answer I posted 12 hours ago.

> Steve Coltrin    spcol...@omcl.org   Google Groups killfiled here

Never mind! :-)

Brenda Clough

Jul 22, 2011, 7:26:22 PM7/22/11

This is quite an old theme. I have tinkered with it myself, in "Gray to
Black." The story appeared in ROCKET BOY AND THE GEEK GIRLS. No weird
eyes in mine, though. Just a creepy pregnancy.

Brenda

--
My latest novel SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES is available exclusively from Book
View Cafe.