Best short stories?

dulac3

Nov 8, 2010, 9:21:52 AM11/8/10
I'm just looking for opinions on what people think are the best short
story collections for SF and Fantasy? I'm interested in both older
'classics' and newer collections that are the best currently on the
market.

Thanks

Anthony Nance

Nov 8, 2010, 9:48:02 AM11/8/10

For multiple author collections, I'd nominate
* Healy & McComas _Adventures in Time and Space_ (first edition 1946,
Modern Library Edition 1957),
* the Science Fiction Hall of Fame volumes (there is also a
Fantasy Hall of Fame volume), and
* Dozois' two collections _The Good Old Stuff_ (I think the
youngest story is from 1971) and _The Good New Stuff_
(spans 1977 - 1998), also nicely packaged together into
a great omnibus by SFBC as _The Good Stuff_ .

If you're also considering single author collections (which clearly
rely a lot more on individual tastes, but if you know who you like
or want to try...), you could do a lot worse than Ballantine/Del Rey's
"The Best of <author>" series from the 70s/80s.

Not part of that series, but I'll also toss in many many collections
of Roger Zelazny. _The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth: And
Other Stories_ (1971) sticks out, but there are others I really enjoy
as well.

A Cordwainer Smith collection - probably _The Rediscovery of Man_ .

An Alfred Bester collection - maybe Starlight or Virtual Unrealities.

Oh - and Greg Egan's _Axiomatic_ .

Hope this helps a little,
Tony

Joel Olson

Nov 8, 2010, 9:56:43 AM11/8/10
"dulac3" <lago...@gmail.com> wrote in message

No Problem. They tell you in the titles. _The Best ... _ :-)

Evelyn Leeper

Nov 8, 2010, 10:14:19 AM11/8/10
On 11/8/10 9:48 AM, Anthony Nance wrote:
> dulac3<lago...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm just looking for opinions on what people think are the best short
>> story collections for SF and Fantasy? I'm interested in both older
>> 'classics' and newer collections that are the best currently on the
>> market.
>
> For multiple author collections, I'd nominate
> * Healy& McComas _Adventures in Time and Space_ (first edition 1946,

> Modern Library Edition 1957),
> * the Science Fiction Hall of Fame volumes (there is also a
> Fantasy Hall of Fame volume), and
> * Dozois' two collections _The Good Old Stuff_ (I think the
> youngest story is from 1971) and _The Good New Stuff_
> (spans 1977 - 1998), also nicely packaged together into
> a great omnibus by SFBC as _The Good Stuff_ .

And just about anything edited by Groff Conklin.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
The only way to write about right now is to write about

Mike Schilling

Nov 8, 2010, 10:21:01 AM11/8/10

"Evelyn Leeper" <ele...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> On 11/8/10 9:48 AM, Anthony Nance wrote:
>> dulac3<lago...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm just looking for opinions on what people think are the best short
>>> story collections for SF and Fantasy? I'm interested in both older
>>> 'classics' and newer collections that are the best currently on the
>>> market.
>>
>> For multiple author collections, I'd nominate
>> * Healy& McComas _Adventures in Time and Space_ (first edition 1946,
>> Modern Library Edition 1957),
>> * the Science Fiction Hall of Fame volumes (there is also a
>> Fantasy Hall of Fame volume), and
>> * Dozois' two collections _The Good Old Stuff_ (I think the
>> youngest story is from 1971) and _The Good New Stuff_
>> (spans 1977 - 1998), also nicely packaged together into
>> a great omnibus by SFBC as _The Good Stuff_ .
>
> And just about anything edited by Groff Conklin.

Also Damon Knight's _A Science Fiction Argosy_ and Boucher's _Treasury of
Great Science Fiction_.

art...@yahoo.com

Nov 8, 2010, 10:21:44 AM11/8/10

Futures on Fire edited by Orson Scott Card
Hartwell's yearly series

Silverberg and Sterling write great short stories. I prefer then to
their novels.

Butch Malahide

Nov 8, 2010, 2:17:49 PM11/8/10
On Nov 8, 9:14 am, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 11/8/10 9:48 AM, Anthony Nance wrote:
>
> > dulac3<lagot...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> >> I'm just looking for opinions on what people think are the best short
> >> story collections for SF and Fantasy? I'm interested in both older
> >> 'classics' and newer collections that are the best currently on the
> >> market.
>
> > For multiple author collections, I'd nominate
> > * Healy&  McComas _Adventures in Time and Space_ (first edition 1946,
> >    Modern Library Edition 1957),
> > * the Science Fiction Hall of Fame volumes (there is also a
> >    Fantasy Hall of Fame volume), and
> > * Dozois' two collections _The Good Old Stuff_ (I think the
> >    youngest story is from 1971) and _The Good New Stuff_
> >    (spans 1977 - 1998), also nicely packaged together into
> >    a great omnibus by SFBC as _The Good Stuff_ .
>
> And just about anything edited by Groff Conklin.

Amen. Also:

Galaxy Reader of Science Fiction
Second Galaxy Reader of Science Fiction
Astounding Science Fiction Anthology
Several anthologies edited by Brian Aldiss: Galactic Empires, Strange
Odysseys, etc.

Joel Olson

Nov 8, 2010, 3:10:07 PM11/8/10
"dulac3" <lago...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Once, and Again, Dangerous Visions.

Mike Stone

Nov 16, 2010, 10:17:57 AM11/16/10
"dulac3" <lago...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Edmund Crispin's "Best SF" anthologies were pretty good. Also Blieler and
Dikty' "Best Science Fiction Stories" and "Year's Best Science Fiction
Novels" were all pretty good. The first two ran to about half a dozen
anthologies each, I think the last was only two, and their contents were
more like novellas than novels.

Also Blieler/Dikty "Imagination Unlimited", Murray Leinster "Great Stories
of Science Fiction", Milton Lesser, Looking Forward" and HL Gold "First
Galaxy Reader of Science Fiction" and "Second GRoSF". There's also "Prologue
to Analog" and a series of "Analog One" - - "Two" - - etc whch went on for
quite a while.

Unfortunately, most of these are ones I read in my boyhood, half a century
ago, so may take abit of digging up.

--

Mike Stone - Peterborough, England

Q: What do you call an Iranian President in a bullet-proof vest?

A: Armoured Dinnerjacket.

Mike Schilling

Nov 16, 2010, 10:20:00 AM11/16/10

"Mike Stone" <mws...@uwclub.net> wrote in message

> "dulac3" <lago...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm just looking for opinions on what people think are the best short
>> story collections for SF and Fantasy? I'm interested in both older
>> 'classics' and newer collections that are the best currently on the
>> market.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Edmund Crispin's "Best SF" anthologies were pretty good. Also Blieler and
> Dikty' "Best Science Fiction Stories" and "Year's Best Science Fiction
> Novels" were all pretty good. The first two ran to about half a dozen
> anthologies each, I think the last was only two, and their contents were
> more like novellas than novels.
>
> Also Blieler/Dikty "Imagination Unlimited", Murray Leinster "Great Stories
> of Science Fiction", Milton Lesser, Looking Forward" and HL Gold "First
> Galaxy Reader of Science Fiction" and "Second GRoSF". There's also
> "Prologue to Analog" and a series of "Analog One" - - "Two" - - etc whch
> went on for quite a while.
>
> Unfortunately, most of these are ones I read in my boyhood, half a century
> ago, so may take abit of digging up.

Or a few minutes searching at abe.com.

Butch Malahide

Nov 16, 2010, 1:08:58 PM11/16/10
On Nov 16, 9:17 am, "Mike Stone" <mwst...@uwclub.net> wrote:
> "dulac3" <lagot...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'm just looking for opinions on what people think are the best short
> > story collections for SF and Fantasy? I'm interested in both older
> > 'classics' and newer collections that are the best currently on the
> > market.
>
> > Thanks
>
> Edmund Crispin's "Best SF" anthologies were pretty good. Also Blieler and
> Dikty' "Best Science Fiction Stories" and "Year's Best Science Fiction
> Novels" were all pretty good. The first two ran to about half a dozen
> anthologies each, I think the last was only two, and their contents were
> more like novellas than novels.
>
> Also Blieler/Dikty "Imagination Unlimited", Murray Leinster "Great Stories
> of Science Fiction", Milton Lesser, Looking Forward" and HL Gold "First
> Galaxy Reader of Science Fiction" and "Second GRoSF". There's also "Prologue
> to Analog" and a series of "Analog One" - - "Two" - - etc whch went on for
> quite a while.

Bleiler, not Blieler. Everett F. Bleiler:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?Everett%20F.%20Bleiler

Brian M. Scott

Nov 16, 2010, 1:10:23 PM11/16/10
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:20:00 -0800, Mike Schilling
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in
<news:ibu7f0$mi2$1...@news.eternal-september.org> in
rec.arts.sf.written:

> "Mike Stone" <mws...@uwclub.net> wrote in message

[...]

>> Edmund Crispin's "Best SF" anthologies were pretty good.
>> Also Blieler and Dikty' "Best Science Fiction Stories"
>> and "Year's Best Science Fiction Novels" were all

>> pretty good. [...]

>> Also Blieler/Dikty "Imagination Unlimited", [...]

>> Unfortunately, most of these are ones I read in my
>> boyhood, half a century ago, so may take abit of
>> digging up.

> Or a few minutes searching at abe.com.

In any case it will be easier if one looks for Bleiler under
the correct spelling.

Brian

Butch Malahide

Nov 16, 2010, 1:25:18 PM11/16/10
On Nov 16, 12:10 pm, "Brian M. Scott" <b.sc...@csuohio.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:20:00 -0800, Mike Schilling
> <mscottschill...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> <news:ibu7f0$mi2$1...@news.eternal-september.org> in
> rec.arts.sf.written:
>
> > "Mike Stone" <mwst...@uwclub.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> >> Edmund Crispin's "Best SF" anthologies were pretty good.
> >> Also Blieler and  Dikty' "Best Science Fiction Stories"
> >> and "Year's Best Science Fiction  Novels" were all
> >> pretty good. [...]
> >> Also Blieler/Dikty "Imagination Unlimited", [...]
> >> Unfortunately, most of these are ones I read in my
> >> boyhood, half a century  ago, so may take  abit of
> >> digging up.
> > Or a few minutes searching at abe.com.
>
> In any case it will be easier if one looks for Bleiler under
> the correct spelling.

More productive, anyway. An abe.com search for "Blieler" got 4 hits.