Jack Vance shortlist?

anthony

Nov 15, 2010, 9:18:27 PM11/15/10
I've just about concluded reading The Planet of Adventure series and
am wondering if some kind person could make a shortlist for me of
other titles to follow-up with. Such a good writer!
I'll seek out The Dragon Masters, and would be grateful for a clutch
of further recommendations.
Best wishes, Anthony (Woodend, Victoria, Australia)

Wayne Throop

Nov 15, 2010, 9:27:41 PM11/15/10
: anthony <anthonyj...@netscape.net>
: I've just about concluded reading The Planet of Adventure series and

Probably most anything by Vance is OK.
Hm. Possibly most similar to the Planet of Adventure series
is the Demon Princes series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Princes

* Star King (1964).
* The Killing Machine (1964).
* The Palace of Love (1967).
* The Face (1979).
* The Book of Dreams (1981).

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 16, 2010, 1:12:12 AM11/16/10

Hmm, I would say the Durdane books were more similar to POA:

_The Anome_
_The Brave Free Men_
_The Austra_

Also, the Alastor books:

_Wyst: Alastor 1716_
_Trullion: Alastor 2262_
_Marune: Alastor 933_

Of course no mention of Vance is complete without the Dying Earth setting,
particularly the original short stories:

_The Dying Earth_

and the original novel(ish)

_The Eyes of the Overworld_
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Mike Schilling

Nov 16, 2010, 2:42:15 AM11/16/10

"Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote in message

> In article <12898...@sheol.org>, Wayne Throop <thr...@sheol.org> wrote:
>>: anthony <anthonyj...@netscape.net>
>>: I've just about concluded reading The Planet of Adventure series and
>>: am wondering if some kind person could make a shortlist for me of
>>: other titles to follow-up with. Such a good writer!
>>: I'll seek out The Dragon Masters, and would be grateful for a clutch
>>: of further recommendations.
>>: Best wishes, Anthony (Woodend, Victoria, Australia)
>>
>>Probably most anything by Vance is OK.
>>Hm. Possibly most similar to the Planet of Adventure series
>>is the Demon Princes series.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Princes
>>
>> * Star King (1964).
>> * The Killing Machine (1964).
>> * The Palace of Love (1967).
>> * The Face (1979).
>> * The Book of Dreams (1981).
>>

>>Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
>
> Hmm, I would say the Durdane books were more similar to POA:
>
> _The Anome_
> _The Brave Free Men_
> _The Austra_

I tend to agree. Also the non-series books _Emphyrio_, _Maske:Thaery_. and
_Night Lamp_.

But it's all good.

anthony

Nov 16, 2010, 3:02:35 AM11/16/10
On Nov 16, 6:42 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote in messagenews:8kellr...@mid.individual.net...
>

> > In article <1289874...@sheol.org>, Wayne Throop <thro...@sheol.org> wrote:
> >>: anthony <anthonyjhcnos...@netscape.net>

> >>: I've just about concluded reading The Planet of Adventure series and
> >>: am wondering if some kind person could make a shortlist for me of
> >>: other titles to follow-up with. Such a good writer!
> >>: I'll seek out The Dragon Masters, and would be grateful for a clutch
> >>: of further recommendations.
> >>: Best wishes, Anthony (Woodend, Victoria, Australia)
>
> >>Probably most anything by Vance is OK.
> >>Hm.  Possibly most similar to the Planet of Adventure series
> >>is the Demon Princes series.
>
> >>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Princes
>
> >>        * Star King (1964).
> >>        * The Killing Machine (1964).
> >>        * The Palace of Love (1967).
> >>        * The Face (1979).
> >>        * The Book of Dreams (1981).
>
> >>Wayne Throop   thro...@sheol.org  http://sheol.org/throopw

> > Hmm, I would say the Durdane books were more similar to POA:
>
> > _The Anome_
> > _The Brave Free Men_
> > _The Austra_
>
> I tend to agree. Also the non-series books _Emphyrio_, _Maske:Thaery_. and
> _Night Lamp_.
>
> But it's all good.

Thanks all .... I'll give them all a go.
And I presume Wayne is either a sibling or offspring of Kelvin?
Anthony

Wayne Throop

Nov 16, 2010, 11:44:59 AM11/16/10
: anthony <anthonyj...@netscape.net>
: And I presume Wayne is either a sibling or offspring of Kelvin?

Oddly enough, that turns out not to be the case.
The "Throop" surname is an honest-to-Gimbels surname, of which there are
a few thousand in the US, including the founder of Caltech. I'm not
aware how Kelvin got his surname, but if I had to guess, I'd suspect
some sort of connection to Amos Throop.

anthony

Nov 17, 2010, 3:45:20 AM11/17/10
On Nov 17, 3:44 am, thro...@sheol.org (Wayne Throop) wrote:
> : anthony <anthonyjhcnos...@netscape.net>

> : And I presume Wayne is either a sibling or offspring of Kelvin?
>
> Oddly enough, that turns out not to be the case.
> The "Throop" surname is an honest-to-Gimbels surname, of which there are
> a few thousand in the US, including the founder of Caltech.  I'm not
> aware how Kelvin got his surname, but if I had to guess, I'd suspect
> some sort of connection to Amos Throop.
>
> Wayne Throop   thro...@sheol.org  http://sheol.org/throopw

Thanks all, again -- and I'm starting with Demon Princes as I've found
a pre-loved 2005 hardcover edition from the States for only $2 plus $8
postage. I love the internet .......
All the other recommendations will follow slowly -- making sure I find
enough titles for my wife to keep her content as well!
Anthony

Gerry Quinn

Nov 17, 2010, 3:36:32 PM11/17/10
In article <18bcd17f-0a03-41dc-80c2-4a915110e278
@u8g2000vby.googlegroups.com>, anthonyj...@netscape.net says...

My favourite works by Vance are actually fantasy: the _Lyonesse_
trilogy.

But as somebody said, he is pretty consistent with no real duds.

- Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn

Nov 17, 2010, 3:38:34 PM11/17/10
In article <12899...@sheol.org>, thr...@sheol.org says...

> : anthony <anthonyj...@netscape.net>
> : And I presume Wayne is either a sibling or offspring of Kelvin?
>
> Oddly enough, that turns out not to be the case.
> The "Throop" surname is an honest-to-Gimbels surname, of which there are
> a few thousand in the US, including the founder of Caltech. I'm not
> aware how Kelvin got his surname, but if I had to guess, I'd suspect
> some sort of connection to Amos Throop.

Throop was the name of a horrible ogre in Vance's Lyonesse ;-)

- Gerry Quinn

Mike Schilling

Nov 17, 2010, 9:35:02 PM11/17/10

"Gerry Quinn" <ger...@indigo.ie> wrote in message

> In article <18bcd17f-0a03-41dc-80c2-4a915110e278
> @u8g2000vby.googlegroups.com>, anthonyj...@netscape.net says...
>> I've just about concluded reading The Planet of Adventure series and
>> am wondering if some kind person could make a shortlist for me of
>> other titles to follow-up with. Such a good writer!
>> I'll seek out The Dragon Masters, and would be grateful for a clutch
>> of further recommendations.
>> Best wishes, Anthony (Woodend, Victoria, Australia)
>
> My favourite works by Vance are actually fantasy: the _Lyonesse_
> trilogy.

They are awfully good, especially _Lyonesse_ itself. It's so expansive,
with so many wonderful settings and characters.

Sjouke Burry

Nov 18, 2010, 12:50:51 AM11/18/10

Anybody have a JV longlist (with isbn nrs etc)?
Shortlists are so useless....

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 18, 2010, 12:58:53 AM11/18/10
In article <4ce4bebb$0$8932$703f...@textnews.kpn.nl>,

Well, there's always The Vance Integral Edition, which is about as longlist
as it gets... http://www.vanceintegral.com/

Other than that, isfdb.org is your friend.

Ted

Sjouke Burry

Nov 18, 2010, 1:19:12 AM11/18/10
Thanks, bookmarked that.
That guy sure filled a lot of paper...

David DeLaney

Nov 18, 2010, 4:14:23 AM11/18/10

Out of what I own, I'll recommend the Cugel books (The Dying Earth, The Eyes
of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga, Rhialto the Marvellous, plus Shea's A Quest for
Simbilis), but I haven't re-read any of the rest in quite a long time, so once
I get to V I'll probably have some enchanting rediscovery awaiting me.

Dave "currently have been stuck on P for some time due to getting-to-next-box
logistical issues" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Mike Schilling

Nov 18, 2010, 10:21:26 AM11/18/10

"David DeLaney" <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message

> Out of what I own, I'll recommend the Cugel books (The Dying Earth, The
> Eyes
> of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga, Rhialto the Marvellous, plus Shea's A
> Quest for
> Simbilis),

Only the second, third, and fifth of these are Cugel books per se, of
course.

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 21, 2010, 6:46:27 AM11/21/10

One of his novels I remember fondly: "The Languages of Pao". Rather
meandering story with many threads & characters, but centered on the
idea that the language we think in not only determines what we _can_
think, new languages can be _engineered_ to make us think in specified
directions!

A few short stories I recall with some fondness:

"Meet Miss Universe": A funny one about a multi-species beauty contest.
How to make sure the judges' hormones won't come in the way of their
decision?

"The Mitr": Very short one about a really dark side of humanity.

"Brain of the Galaxy": How prejudice enters almost any kind of selection
of the "best" person for a job.

--
<http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/>
<http://twitter.com/varietysf>

Mike Schilling

Nov 21, 2010, 11:54:39 AM11/21/10

<tkma...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

AKA "The New Prime".

By the way, here's a list of all Jack Vance works, courtesy of the VIE:
http://www.integralarchive.org/biblio-3.htm

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 21, 2010, 1:25:54 PM11/21/10

Thanks. I'd heard about "The New Prime" but didn't associate it with
"Brain of the Galaxy" though the story had The Prime.

Mike Schilling

Nov 21, 2010, 1:42:08 PM11/21/10

> Thanks. I'd heard about but didn't associate it with "Brain of the

> Galaxy" though the story had The Prime.

"The New Prime" does sound like it would be about number theory.

Matt Hughes

Nov 21, 2010, 7:41:50 PM11/21/10
On Nov 16, 1:18 pm, anthony <anthonyjhcnos...@netscape.net> wrote:
> I've just about concluded reading The Planet of Adventure series and
> am wondering if some kind person could make a shortlist for me of
> other titles to follow-up with. Such a good writer!
> I'll seek out The Dragon Masters, and would be grateful for a clutch
> of further recommendations.

Just don't read Bad Ronald. It may put you off.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com

Matt Hughes

Nov 21, 2010, 7:43:52 PM11/21/10

BTW, there's a very welcoming Vance discussion board here:
http://jackvance.yuku.com/

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com

Mike Schilling

Nov 21, 2010, 8:55:38 PM11/21/10

"Matt Hughes" <arch...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

You might recall Ronald's chief hobby. It's a very sick joke, which I
enjoyed immensely.