[TAN] A couple of items that made me smile...

Mark Loy

Oct 30, 2003, 2:02:28 PM10/30/03
"It's wise to hire a lawyer. I defended myself in small-claims court
against a carpet-cleaning business. Result: eight years in a
maximum-security penitentiary."--the Onion

"Because, Jack, you volunteered to be taken down into the eternal torment
in place of her. This is the absolute _minimum_ (unless I'm mistaken)
that any female requires from her man."--from _Quicksilver_

Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

ML

Leigh Butler

Oct 30, 2003, 1:27:39 PM10/30/03
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:02:28 -0600, ml...@iupui.edu (Mark Loy) wrote:

>Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
>boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

"We are all born mad. Some remain so."
-- _Waiting for Godot_

Leigh Butler

Oct 30, 2003, 1:31:59 PM10/30/03
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:02:28 -0600, ml...@iupui.edu (Mark Loy) wrote:

>Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
>boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

Or,

"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his
beer, `I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'"

Len Rehard

Oct 30, 2003, 1:49:43 PM10/30/03
Mail: len_r...@charter.net
"Mark Loy" <ml...@iupui.edu> wrote in message
Funny you should ask. I just received this:

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for
may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the
hell alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a
leaky
tire.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your
neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

4. Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.

5. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

6. No one is listening until you fart.

7. Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

9. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car
payments.

10. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.

11. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

12. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and
he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

13. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was
probably
worth it.

14. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. AMEN!!!

15. Some days you are the bug; some days you are a windshield.

16. Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.

17. Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgment.

18. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it
back in your pocket.

19. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

20. Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and
it
holds the universe together.

21. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

22. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

23. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

24. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

25. We are born naked, wet, and hungry, and get slapped on our ass...then
things get worse.

26. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on
the same night.

27. There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

28. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too
seriously.

29. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make
big deal about your birthday...around age 11.

30. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Steve

Oct 30, 2003, 1:57:30 PM10/30/03
> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

"Do not argue with a fool, he may be doing the same."
- Anon

John Rowat

Oct 30, 2003, 2:29:35 PM10/30/03
Like roses wither, so does Mark Loy:

> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer
if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and
and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and
and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"

-John
--
Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood,
endurance, and courage of my companions which would have stirred the
-Robert Falcon Scott, March 29, 1912

Christopher Tong

Oct 30, 2003, 2:36:29 PM10/30/03
Mark Loy wrote:

Well, apparently, there's a couple of folks with a gun on the loose in
the Cannon Office Building, if that sort of thing interests you. I
don't know if they quite got everybody out of the building yet. It
could potentially make for a good Jerry Bruckheimer movie.

--
Chris
"Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole."

Sean O'Hara

Oct 30, 2003, 2:47:00 PM10/30/03
In the Year of the Goat, the Great and Powerful Mark Loy declared...
On our side of the glass, the erotic peep show smells
like one of those ear-piercing kiosks that appeared
in shopping malls in the 80s. This is due to the
gallons of alcohol and hospital-grade disinfectant
we use to clean our areas. Each booth has a chaise
upholstered in cracked pink vinyl, a telephone for
monkey-client communication, and of course, a two-
way window so we can see the masturbating COBOL
programmers* and they can see us.

Luckily, we don't have to scrub down the client side.
There's a rotating lineup of janitors for that, all
varying degrees of Goth. (Last night's janitor was
wearing a T-shirt that said Got Satan? as he mopped
up the man-chowder on the floor.)

I'm more than happy to swab the decks after a long
shift spent on the chaise with my vibrating pink pal.
No girl wants to clock in and discover a booth that's
skanky with lube and santorum.

Booth C is considered the best booth to work in because
it has a radio. It's also the only booth with an amusing
handwritten sign that says: "NO SHOWER SHOWS, AKA 'PEE
SHOWS.' THOSE CAUGHT DOING SO WILL BE FIRED"

I honestly didn't think anyone would ever request a
"shower show" in such an enclosed space, but it
happened to me on Sunday night. Of course, I proudly
informed the hapless chap of S-Mart's anti-shower show
policy. With great relief, I might add. The only two
places I'll pee are the bathroom and your pool.

*Not everyone who jacks off at the peep show is a
programmer, but they're definitely setting the curve.
--http://pussyranch.blogspot.com/

Oh, wait, you said warm the cock*les*. My bad.

--
Sean O'Hara
Gibberish in Neutral: http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com/

Michael Martin

Oct 30, 2003, 2:51:30 PM10/30/03

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in
their company most of the time." -- Bono

"A third of a gopher would only arouse the appetite without bedding
her back down." --from _O Brother Where Art Thou?"_

"Ever since you flashed my badge at me, I kinda can't stop thinking
about you. You're the prettiest fake undercover whore I've ever
seen." -- from Friends, 5th season

--
Michael Martin
Fides quaerens intellectum.

Alan Baker

Oct 30, 2003, 3:36:19 PM10/30/03
In article <bnroqv$3tb$1...@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca>,
John Rowat <jro...@prince.carleton.ca> wrote:

> Like roses wither, so does Mark Loy:
>
> > Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> > boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?
>

> "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
> and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer
> if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and
> and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and
> and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"
>
> -John

'Jim where John had had had had had had had had had had had a better
effect on the teacher.'

Punctuate correctly please (answer at the bottom).

'Jim, where John had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had a
better effect on the teacher.'

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

John Anderson

Oct 30, 2003, 6:35:04 PM10/30/03
In article <bnrq43$unk$1...@mailgate2.lexis-nexis.com>, baltezaar2001
@yahoo.com says...

"You use your tongue prettier than a 20 dollar whore" -- Blaizing
Saddles

"Having a child is like having your own personal comedian" -- Darren
Breen

--
John Anderson
WTF?

Goetz Von Berlichingen

Oct 30, 2003, 9:11:19 PM10/30/03
ml...@iupui.edu (Mark Loy) wrote in message news:<mloy-30100...@134.68.134.43>...

> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

There are three kinds of men - the one that learns by reading, the
few that learn by observation, and the rest who just have to pee on
the electric fence for themselves.

Always drink upstream of the herd.

Good judgement comes from experience. Problem is, most experience
comes from bad judgement.

Ponder this - what was the difference between O. J. Simpson driving
around the LA freeways in his SUV and Cleavon Little holding a gun to
his own head in "Blazing Saddles" after announcing his appointment as
sheriff?

The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on
whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun. - P.G.
Wodehouse

If not actually disgruntled, he was from being gruntled. - P. G.
Wodehouse

Goetz

Lara Beaton

Oct 31, 2003, 1:54:41 AM10/31/03
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:02:28 -0600, ml...@iupui.edu (Mark Loy) wrote:

"Peach isn't really in this year."
"Are you kidding? Peach is the new green."
"I thought beige was the new green."
"No, beige is the new peach."

"Do you know how difficult it is to think with a rebar through your
torso?"
"Actually, yes, I do. The benefits of a Sunnydale education."

Well, those two made me smile, anyway.
--
Lara Beaton
"I'd love to live in a world where the lower

Johan Gustafsson

Oct 31, 2003, 2:42:51 AM10/31/03

Yeah. Now it's Friday.

Wee!

--
Johan Gustafsson *** j...@e-bostad.net

"Like, life is a yo-yo... and mankind keeps tying knots in the string."
- Bernard the Poet, "X-Men"

Ben Ryan

Oct 31, 2003, 6:49:06 AM10/31/03
Sean O'Hara wrote:

> I'm more than happy to swab the decks after a long
> shift spent on the chaise with my vibrating pink pal.
> No girl wants to clock in and discover a booth that's
> skanky with lube and santorum.

^^^^^^^^
The fact that I see this everywhere makes me smile.

--
Err, wait...

Adam Canning

Oct 31, 2003, 7:25:05 AM10/31/03
In article <mloy-30100...@134.68.134.43>, ml...@iupui.edu says...

> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

From Andromeda.

Tyr Anasazi: I would say "let God sort them out," but someone told me He
was dead.

Dylan Hunt: It's a little known law of thermal dynamics: The Conservation
of Optimism: There's only so much to go around.

Tyr Anasazi: You should know by now that you can never trust any
Nietzschean. . . except me.

Trance Gemini: Well, when two hydrogen atoms love each other very much,
they bond with an oxygen atom.

--
Adam

Michelle J. Haines

Oct 31, 2003, 12:40:36 PM10/31/03
> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

No, but if someone would bring over some hot chocolate to help warm
us up in our 52 degree interior house until the damned propane gets
delivered, I'd be happy.

Michelle
Flutist
--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!

Tracy Cooper

Oct 31, 2003, 3:34:09 AM10/31/03

"Johan Gustafsson" <j...@e-bostad.net> wrote in message

> Mark Loy wrote:
> > "It's wise to hire a lawyer. I defended myself in small-claims court
> > against a carpet-cleaning business. Result: eight years in a
> > maximum-security penitentiary."--the Onion
> >
> > "Because, Jack, you volunteered to be taken down into the eternal
torment
> > in place of her. This is the absolute _minimum_ (unless I'm mistaken)
> > that any female requires from her man."--from _Quicksilver_
> >
> > Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> > boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?

From my Amber DRPG:

"Come on down to a nice refreshing breakfast with the family...nothing's
going to happen"
Cue mass exodus of player characters from the Castle.

Ben Ryan

Oct 31, 2003, 1:16:46 PM10/31/03
Michelle J. Haines wrote:
> In article <mloy-30100...@134.68.134.43>, ml...@iupui.edu
> says...
>>
>> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
>> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?
>
> No, but if someone would bring over some hot chocolate to help warm
> us up in our 52 degree interior house until the damned propane gets
> delivered, I'd be happy.

Can you turn on the oven and leave the door open, or is it all the same
system?

The landlord here didn't turn on the heat until I asked them to (it's
supposed to go one October 15th), and I made do with setting the oven on
400 degrees and opening the door. Of course, it's a studio so that was a
half-way effective way to heat the place up.

--
"Lots of people mentioned the common North American highway caution
sign, 'Slow Children Playing.' Joe and Mary Gilliland pointed out that

Michelle J. Haines

Oct 31, 2003, 2:59:59 PM10/31/03
In article <bnu8ud$15n54e$1...@ID-110080.news.uni-berlin.de>,
mob...@core.binghamton.edu says...

> Michelle J. Haines wrote:
> > In article <mloy-30100...@134.68.134.43>, ml...@iupui.edu
> > says...
> >>
> >> Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> >> boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?
> >
> > No, but if someone would bring over some hot chocolate to help warm
> > us up in our 52 degree interior house until the damned propane gets
> > delivered, I'd be happy.
>
> Can you turn on the oven and leave the door open, or is it all the same
> system?

Oven uses propane, too. Our dryer is electric, though, so we've been
doing a lot of laundry.

> The landlord here didn't turn on the heat until I asked them to (it's
> supposed to go one October 15th), and I made do with setting the oven on
> 400 degrees and opening the door. Of course, it's a studio so that was a
> half-way effective way to heat the place up.

This is a ratty-ass, dump of a trailer, and we've been thinking about
adding insulation for a while, especially since Kirk opened up one of
the ceiling and wall panels and found a whopping ONE INCH of
fiberglass in there in both cases. Counting all the building
materials, this give us an R5 in the roof, and maybe an R4 in the
walls, generously, and doesn't factor in thermal bridging. This in
an area where R19 is considered the minimum for ceilings, and R11 for
walls, but that may be outdated.

Anyway, we finally called the landlord, who really doesn't want us to
move since it's hard to rent a place in Chugwater (especially when
you live in Denver), and he bought us an entirely new set of windows,
and paid for the materials we asked for to insulate the place. The
expensive stuff, too, which really surprised us. We gave him
estimates on 1-pound density rigid foam, and 2-pound density, and he
went for the two pound. It'll add R10 to our ceiling and R5 to out
walls, once we get it in properly. Still less than the outdated
minimum, but since we went through a whopping five tanks of propane
last winter, one of them in about three weeks, I'm not protesting!

So, Kirk's so far replaced four of the 13 windows, and he's made a
good start on taking down the panels and fitting the insulation into
our bedroom (coldest room in the house). When we realized the cold
snap was coming, he just screwed a bunch of the two inch insulation
panels up to the ceiling in the living room and we'll fix it to be
pretty later. We HAD 30% propane a few weeks ago, but when he went
to check it before the cold snap, it was like 7%, and we'd already
paid out all our bills, so we couldn't fill the tank. Oops.

That means no using it if at all possible, because if you run out
entirely, it's a $50 fee to repressurize the tank and lines. We've
filled out all the paperwork for food stamps and LIEAP this week, but
LIEAP takes a bit. My dad, wonderful man, sprang for 200 gallons,
though, and finally the truck just arrived, so we only had two cold
nights, with the mattress on the floor in the living and the space
heater running and all the house closed off.

But since he has arrived, we can turn up the heat to a balmy 66, and
take baths before I have to get the kids into their Halloween
costumes -- my MIL made both the older kids Hogwart student costumes.
:)

John S. Novak, III

Oct 31, 2003, 3:55:55 PM10/31/03
In article <vq586ka...@corp.supernews.com>, Tracy Cooper wrote:

> From my Amber DRPG:

> "Come on down to a nice refreshing breakfast with the family...nothing's
> going to happen"

Oh, hell, if we want gaming quotes, the House of Cards game has pages
and pages of them....

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cegt201.bradley.edu
The Humblest Man on the Net

G J

Oct 31, 2003, 7:01:23 PM10/31/03
John Anderson <jma...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a0b4e11e...@news.infowest.com>...

"No, no, no! No food, no food. Bring me sex, I want sex, bring me some
sex! No, no, no! That one. Being me that one, over there. That one,
the sultry bitch with the fire in her eyes! Take her clothes off, take
her clothes off, and bring her to me!" - Capt. "Trapper John"
McIntyre, M*A*S*H

Erick N. Viorritto

Oct 31, 2003, 8:02:39 PM10/31/03

"Goetz Von Berlichingen" <goetzvonbe...@comcast.net> wrote in message

"Wizard of Oz Characters" from The Book Of Ratings:
The Tin Woodman
Who could help but have empathy with this rusting rustic? A less kind
metallic lumberjack would have realized that he had an axe, Dorothy had a
heart, put two and two together, and invented the slasher flick forty years
early. On one hand, that would have pretty much ruined the heartwarmingness
of the movie. On the other hand, it would have generated sequels like Tin
Woodman IX: Die, Glinda, Die. (rating: B+)

- Erick

Sean O'Hara

Nov 1, 2003, 5:39:53 PM11/1/03
In the Year of the Goat, the Great and Powerful Ben Ryan declared...
And for those who don't know what it is:

http://www.miami.com/mld/streetmiami/2003/08/29/entertainment/6633457.ht

Aaron Davies

Nov 2, 2003, 6:32:06 PM11/2/03
Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net> wrote:

> In article <bnroqv$3tb$1...@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca>,
> John Rowat <jro...@prince.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
> > Like roses wither, so does Mark Loy:
> >
> > > Anybody got any others to warm the cockles of this man's heart on this
> > > boring-as-fuckin'-hell Thursday?
> >

> > "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
> > and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer
> > if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and
> > and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and
> > and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"
> >
> > -John
>
> 'Jim where John had had had had had had had had had had had a better
> effect on the teacher.'

Buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo.
--
Aaron Davies
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.

Ben Ryan

Nov 3, 2003, 1:21:40 PM11/3/03
Michelle J. Haines wrote:
> mob...@core.binghamton.edu says...

>> > No, but if someone would bring over some hot chocolate to help warm
>> > us up in our 52 degree interior house until the damned propane gets
>> > delivered, I'd be happy.
>>
>> Can you turn on the oven and leave the door open, or is it all the same
>> system?
>
> Oven uses propane, too. Our dryer is electric, though, so we've been
> doing a lot of laundry.

Ah, that would be a deal-breaker. Of course, you can always set fire to
the place.

Robert Pfeifer

Nov 8, 2003, 6:07:50 PM11/8/03
In article <kh14qv4oncgkb87mi...@4ax.com>, Lara Beaton
<larabeatonA...@REMOVETHIS.COM> wrote:

}"Do you know how difficult it is to think with a rebar through your
}torso?"
}"Actually, yes, I do. The benefits of a Sunnydale education."

On the chest-skewering theme,

"I took Psych 101! Admittedly I took it from an evil government
scientist who got skewered by her own Frankensteinian creation before
finals, but..."

Rob

Kevin Bealer

Nov 18, 2003, 7:50:16 PM11/18/03

I don't mean this as a permanent solution, and I've never tried anything
like it, but in an emergency...

There are reindeer herding tribes in (mongolia/central asia) which live
in snow for much of the year; they live on reindeer, which live on
lichen buried under the snow. So - they have very little burnable material.

They stay warm enough however, by sleeping in a small tent, which is
inside a larger tent. The two layers of reindeer hide plus furs means
that they can keep comfortably warm via body heat. Amazing that this
works, but there it is. Each layer only has to insulate against part of
the temperature differential. Extra blankets work like this too, but
your head is exposed, so you always lose a big chunk of heat there.

So if your heating is unreliable or the propane is almost out, it might
be useful to have a cold-weather camping tent around to pop the family
in during an emergency cold spell (the trailer should act as the 'outer'
tent). (Test it first..)

Kevin

(Ever since I've heard about this, I've had to wonder if enough layers
of air space could be constructed to heat a small person's spaceship
with one person's body heat, assuming a 3-degrees-K space environment.)

---

Jasper Janssen

Nov 19, 2003, 5:47:56 PM11/19/03
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:50:16 +0000, Kevin Bealer <kmbe...@patriot.net>
wrote:

>(Ever since I've heard about this, I've had to wonder if enough layers
>of air space could be constructed to heat a small person's spaceship
>with one person's body heat, assuming a 3-degrees-K space environment.)

The 290 Kelvin temperature differential insulating material for a single
person would probably resemble a medium sized asteroid. If you've got the
energy to push something that big into significant delta-Vees, you can
spare a lot to heat as well. Besides, almost everywhere in the near solar
system, the trick is to keep *cold*. The sun is no-shit terribly good at
warming things up that aren't in shadow.

Jasper

Kevin Bealer

Nov 19, 2003, 7:07:58 PM11/19/03

Maybe, but scientists and farmers keep liq. nitr around all the time.
The insulating thermos does well enough over a large range (-196 C to 25
C). It's at least warm enough to touch the outside of the thermoses
they keep it in, and they arent all that thick. You should be able to
make cheap thermous-type equipment for space fairly easily, right?
After all, even a few layers of sheet metal seperated by ceramic spacers
should work in micrograv. The only heat transfer in a vacuum is
radiative, right? Granted, not out of reindeer hide, and it's
problematic to create useful airlocks, picture windows, and applied
technology, without messing up the thermos effects.

The heat problem near stars is of course trickier. I was thinking about
using a reflective partial sphere to shadow the (spherical) ship.

The goal, in my hypothetic less-is-more plan, was to move people as
lightly as possible from place to place, ideally with the option of
interstellar trips. This means big bubbles with lots of people but the
minimalist goal is interesting too. I would prefer to use existing tech
(more or less) like ion drives (i.e. the NASA kind with a bottle of
xenon and a battery/solar cell), light sails (not really tested
technology yet, but), existing alloys, reindeer hide, edible pets, etc.

Kevin

Jasper Janssen

Nov 20, 2003, 8:04:34 PM11/20/03
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:07:58 +0000, Kevin Bealer <kmbe...@patriot.net>
wrote:

>Maybe, but scientists and farmers keep liq. nitr around all the time.

>The insulating thermos does well enough over a large range (-196 C to 25
>C). It's at least warm enough to touch the outside of the thermoses
>they keep it in, and they arent all that thick. You should be able to
>make cheap thermous-type equipment for space fairly easily, right?
>After all, even a few layers of sheet metal seperated by ceramic spacers
>should work in micrograv. The only heat transfer in a vacuum is

Dewar flasks have a vacuum in between, rather than air, though.

>radiative, right? Granted, not out of reindeer hide, and it's
>problematic to create useful airlocks, picture windows, and applied
>technology, without messing up the thermos effects.
>
>The heat problem near stars is of course trickier. I was thinking about
>using a reflective partial sphere to shadow the (spherical) ship.

Maybe. But it had better be damn reflective *and* have a lot of heatsinks
on the dark side that radiate away from your vessel, or it's just going to
burn up fairly soon.

>The goal, in my hypothetic less-is-more plan, was to move people as
>lightly as possible from place to place, ideally with the option of
>interstellar trips. This means big bubbles with lots of people but the
>minimalist goal is interesting too. I would prefer to use existing tech
>(more or less) like ion drives (i.e. the NASA kind with a bottle of
>xenon and a battery/solar cell), light sails (not really tested
>technology yet, but), existing alloys, reindeer hide, edible pets, etc.

Well, I've never heard anything but a spacesuit designer complain about
the cold. Well, and people making dark-side-of-the-moon landings.
Everybody else is interested in shedding heat more. If you wanna go
less-is-more, check out the X-prize contestants, particularly Burt and the
Britons. They're designed for a reusable 100 km up suborbital trip, which
is barely space and certainly isn't orbit, but it's a first step. In fact,
the British Starchaser team is taking almost the same approach as the
americans did at the very start of the space race 50 years ago (Alan
Shepard).

Jasper

G J

Nov 20, 2003, 10:16:31 PM11/20/03
Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote in message news:<tpsnrv40p13jureef...@4ax.com>...

Human energy consumption ~100 watts: assume ~100% thermal waste -> Q

Use as insulation low-pressure pure silica aerogel - thermal
conductivity 8 mW/m-K = k (this is twice as efficient as PVC plastic)
http://eande.lbl.gov/ECS/aerogels/satcond.htm

Assume the chamber is sphere w/2m radius

Assume T = 300K

r' outer radius

q*int(dr/r^2, r=2..r')/4/Pi = -k * int(dT, T=300K..0)
100W/4/Pi*(1/2m - 1/r') = 0.008W/m-K * (300K)
200/Pi W/m - 2.4 W/m = 400/Pi W * 1/r'

r'= 2.08m

A single person could stay warm in a sphere insulated with aerogel
using no external heat source if the walls were about 8cm thick.

Heat transfer from the Sun is mostly radiative, so you can keep things
cool by aluminizing them.

Schrodinger's Cat

Nov 21, 2003, 11:45:25 AM11/21/03
bigfo...@yahoo.com (G J) wrote in message news:<9ddbea7b.03112...@posting.google.com>...

You could fix the outer material of you space craft so that it has an
albedo less then one, and thus the temperature differential will be
less, lowering the thickness of your walls.

This, though, will only work if you are a set distance from the star
in question.

On another note, I have no idea where this conversation came from, and
don't know any of the background, but 've always been a sucker for
physics.

And, that, my friend, was a nice concise calculation. (The wall
thickness, I mean)

Steve Craig

Michelle J. Haines

Nov 21, 2003, 12:54:02 PM11/21/03
In article <901c7dc4.03112...@posting.google.com>,
schrodin...@hotmail.com says...

> On another note, I have no idea where this conversation came from, and
> don't know any of the background, but 've always been a sucker for
> physics.

The fact that I live in the frozen tundra of Wyoming, we were out of
propane, and we live in a ratty-ass trailer with woefully inadequate
insulation.

But, we're moving. Yay!

Michelle
Flutist

--
Drift on a river, That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you

Jamie Bowden

Nov 21, 2003, 2:37:51 PM11/21/03
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Michelle J. Haines wrote:

> > On another note, I have no idea where this conversation came from, and
> > don't know any of the background, but 've always been a sucker for
> > physics.

> The fact that I live in the frozen tundra of Wyoming, we were out of
> propane, and we live in a ratty-ass trailer with woefully inadequate
> insulation.

> But, we're moving. Yay!

Didn't you just move not too long ago?

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"

Goetz Von Berlichingen

Nov 21, 2003, 3:57:41 PM11/21/03
Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote in message news:<tpsnrv40p13jureef...@4ax.com>...
... Besides, almost everywhere in the near solar

> system, the trick is to keep *cold*. The sun is no-shit terribly good at
> warming things up that aren't in shadow.

The spacecraft with which I used to work didn't seem to have any
such problem. The main body (doghouse) just has several round things
sort of like the smoke vent on a cheap barbeque grill that cover or
expose variable amounts of reflective/absoprptive material. Of
course, they flew on a polar orbit so were in Earth's shadow for some
period of every orbit. If the ascending node time was wrong, they
actually had significant problems getting enough power through the
solar array.

Goetz

G J

Nov 23, 2003, 6:28:36 PM11/23/03
schrodin...@hotmail.com (Schrodinger's Cat) wrote in message news:<901c7dc4.03112...@posting.google.com>...

> bigfo...@yahoo.com (G J) wrote in message news:<9ddbea7b.03112...@posting.google.com>...
> >
> > Human energy consumption ~100 watts: assume ~100% thermal waste -> Q
> >
> > Use as insulation low-pressure pure silica aerogel - thermal
> > conductivity 8 mW/m-K = k (this is twice as efficient as PVC plastic)
> > http://eande.lbl.gov/ECS/aerogels/satcond.htm
> >
> > Assume the chamber is sphere w/2m radius
> >
> > Assume T = 300K
> >
> > r' outer radius
> >
> > q*int(dr/r^2, r=2..r')/4/Pi = -k * int(dT, T=300K..0)
> > 100W/4/Pi*(1/2m - 1/r') = 0.008W/m-K * (300K)
> > 200/Pi W/m - 2.4 W/m = 400/Pi W * 1/r'
> >
> > r'= 2.08m
> >
> > A single person could stay warm in a sphere insulated with aerogel
> > using no external heat source if the walls were about 8cm thick.
> >
> > Heat transfer from the Sun is mostly radiative, so you can keep things
> > cool by aluminizing them.
>
> You could fix the outer material of you space craft so that it has an
> albedo less then one, and thus the temperature differential will be
> less, lowering the thickness of your walls.
The idea was that the craft would only reradiate ~100 watts.
Calculations did not take into account absorption - they were outside
the scope of the original comment.

> This, though, will only work if you are a set distance from the star
> in question.
>
> On another note, I have no idea where this conversation came from, and
> don't know any of the background, but 've always been a sucker for
> physics.

These calculations assumed a cool environment, not a hot one. The
inspirational comment was that a spacecraft kept warm by body heat
would have to be the size of a small asteroid. I felt this was an
provocative comment when made without some proof.

> And, that, my friend, was a nice concise calculation. (The wall
> thickness, I mean)

Thanks, it was all in the spherical symmetry ;)

> Steve Craig

- Geoff

Michelle J. Haines

Nov 24, 2003, 1:13:08 PM11/24/03
In article <Pine.SGI.4.44.0311211437060.1751534-100000
@dragon.wdc.photon.com>, ja...@photon.com says...

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Michelle J. Haines wrote:
>
> > But, we're moving. Yay!
>
> Didn't you just move not too long ago?

Bit more than a year ago, from Cheyenne to Chugwater. We were
supposed to move to another house in Chugwater, but it fell through.
This is a house about five miles east of town; with a treasure trove
of antiques in the basement, no less. Kirk found a 1894 first
edition of a Louisa May Alcott book entitled "Aunt Jo's Scrapbook".
A collection of short stories in about her "Little Women" universe
characters.