-->HELP BRING Back "SCI-FI VORTEX" to SFC !!!

Alan Laska

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

: Is the SCI-FI CHANNEL trying to put themselves out of
: business??

: Last August, 1997 the SCI-FI CHANNEL cancelled (and rather
: SUDDENLY) the popular show "SF VORTEX". Which gave news
: in the science fiction universe and having a segment called
: the "War Room" where people in the S/F industry can voice
: their viewpoints and opinions. Like the Babylon 5 talk
: where the stars talk about the future of the series, or
: when Harlan Ellison is talking to a studio executive asking
: why the studio can't make this film, etc.
: As entertaining & informative as this show was. The SCI-FI
: CHANNEL cancelled it RATHER SUDDENLY, even the producers
: didn't know it was going to happened.
: I've seen several different TV cable guides & "SF VORTEX"
: was listed for the month of October, 1977 even though it was
: no longer on the SFC. August was last month of this show.

: Next, on September 21, 1997 the "ANTI-GRAVITY ROOM" was
: cancelled (AGAIN SUDDENLY) without notice or warning.
: The producers did not have any indication that they
: were going to be cancelled. Unless, you live in Canada &
: have access to YTV CANADA is the only place you can see
: the new season of the "ANTI-GRAVITY ROOM". The SFC still
: show reruns on Sunday mornings but, no longer repeats
: the show like they do with their other programs.
: A VERY INFORMATIVE program on what's going on in
: the comic book field and fandom field from a fan's
: viewpoint. SUDDENLY CANCELLED.
: The producers and hosts not know this was going to
: even happen until the SFC SUDDENLY axed them.

: Now two of the SCI-FI CHANNEL's other informative
: shows "INSIDE SPACE", a show on what's going on in
: the SPACE PROGRAM on shuttle flights, space exploration
: and the space industry....As well as another science fiction
: information show, "SCI-FI BUZZ" now had their schedules
: change, they no longer have a prime time slot. They are
: now shown on early Friday afternoon 2:30pm EST, 1:30pm CST,
: 12:30pm MST, 11:30am PST.
: Doesn't the SCI-FI CHANNEL Programming Dept. know that
: most of their viewers are either working or in school
: during this time period ???
: SF BUZZ still has it's Saturday & Sunday morning slot &
: INSIDE SPACE still has it's Sunday morning slot as well as
: it's early Monday morning "Cable In The Classroom" spot.
: BUT THESE PROGRAMS are NO LONGER in the television
: prime time period.

: If you're upset about the SUDDEN CANCELLATION of shows
: like "SF VORTEX" and "ANTI-GRAVITY ROOM". As well as
: the POOR (REALLY POOR) programming time of SCI-FI BUZZ
: and INSIDE SPACE.:

: Please write letter to protest these cancellations
: and scheduling changes to the following addresses,
: please be polite and direct,
: Send a letter to the address
: as seen below to :

: SCI-FI CHANNEL
: 1230 Avenue of the Americas
: New York, New York
: 10020
:

: Get, your friends and other fans that watch the
: SCI-FI CHANNEL to WRITE NOW !!!!!
: I KNOW WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE !!!

:

: IMPORTANT NOTE: From several sources and news outlets the
: USA Networks & SCI-FI CHANNEL was bought up
: recently by HSN (Home Shopping Network). So
: Universal Studios is no longer a valid address
: will try to get a address & number to new owners
: of USA Networks & SCI-FI CHANNEL.
: Also, thanks to all that's supporting
: this effort.

: ----Alan David Laska----
: bi...@netcom.com
:
:

: -----END OF MESSAGE-----

:
:

:
:
:
: --
:

Alan Laska

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

----ATTENTION !!!!!!!! --------

Is the SCI-FI CHANNEL trying to put themselves out of
business??

Last August, 1997 the SCI-FI CHANNEL cancelled (and rather
SUDDENLY) the popular show "SF VORTEX". Which gave news
in the science fiction universe and having a segment called
the "War Room" where people in the S/F industry can voice
their viewpoints and opinions. Like the Babylon 5 talk
where the stars talk about the future of the series, or
when Harlan Ellison is talking to a studio executive asking
why the studio can't make this film, etc.
As entertaining & informative as this show was. The SCI-FI
CHANNEL cancelled it RATHER SUDDENLY, even the producers
didn't know it was going to happened.
I've seen several different TV cable guides & "SF VORTEX"

was listed for the month of October, 1997 even though it was

Also, since I've been posting these messages on newsgroups
I have been asked about "ANIMATION STATION" which was a
series of s/f shows on weekday mornings like Captain Scarlet,
Droids, Animated Back To The Future, Stingray, etc. These
shows were rotated every few months. Now they are no longer
being shown anywhere on SFC. No explanation given on why
this was dropped or when (if ever) this segment will be
returned.

If you're upset about the SUDDEN CANCELLATION of shows
like "SF VORTEX" and "ANTI-GRAVITY ROOM". As well as
the POOR (REALLY POOR) programming time of SCI-FI BUZZ

and INSIDE SPACE. As well as anything else on the
programming on SCI-FI CHANNEL.

Alan Laska

Alan Laska

Alan Laska

Alan Laska

Doug Wickstrom

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Alan Laska wrote:

<snip>

Is it spam yet?

--
Doug Wickstrom
Fffft-Speaker-to-Animals

Steve

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Doug Wickstrom wrote:
> Alan Laska wrote:

> <snip>

> Is it spam yet?

For some time now.

Alan Laska

Steve

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Alan Laska wrote:

> : If you're upset about the SUDDEN CANCELLATION of shows
> : like "SF VORTEX" and "ANTI-GRAVITY ROOM". As well as
> : the POOR (REALLY POOR) programming time of SCI-FI BUZZ
> : and INSIDE SPACE. As well as anything else on the
> : programming on SCI-FI CHANNEL.

I have today written letters to the Sci-Fi Channel, telling them
how much I approve of their having dropped Anti-Gravity and Vortex,
and of their scheduling changes in Buzz and Space. I will do this
every time Alan posts this spam in rec.arts.sf.fandom.

- Steve

Alan Laska

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

----ATTENTION !!!!!!!! --------

:

: ----Alan David Laska----
: bi...@netcom.com
:
:

: -----END OF MESSAGE-----

:
:
: --
:

Alan Laska

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
have complained to him.

I only have one preprinted letter and address label left, thanking the
Sci Fi Channel for changing their schedule and removing these shows,
of a dozen I've printed, with different names and formats.

I like to think he's doing his cause much more harm than good, with my
help.

73, doug

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.misc,alt.tv.scifi.channel,rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: bi...@netcom.com (Alan Laska)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 17:35:37 GMT
Sender: bi...@netcom3.netcom.com

Alan Laska

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
: Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
: have complained to him.

There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
Several times more that support me.

: I only have one preprinted letter and address label left, thanking the

: Sci Fi Channel for changing their schedule and removing these shows,
: of a dozen I've printed, with different names and formats.

"....of a dozen I've printed, with different names and formats."

You know if do did the same thing with a ballot box in an
election, you'd be going to a federal prison for ballot box
stuffing.

----Alan David Laska----

: : Is the SCI-FI CHANNEL trying to put themselves out of
: : business??

: :

: : ----Alan David Laska----
: : bi...@netcom.com
: :
: :

: : -----END OF MESSAGE-----

: :
: :
: : --
: :
: --

Gary Farber

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom
<bigalEK...@netcom.com> Alan Laska <bi...@netcom.com> wrote:

: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
: : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
: : have complained to him.
:
: There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.

Want a petition against you, Alan?

[. . . .]
Copyright 1997 by Gary Farber; Experienced Web Researcher; Nonfiction
Writer, Fiction and Nonfiction Editor; gfa...@panix.com; B'klyn, NYC

Doug Berry

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 17:32:57 GMT, bi...@netcom.com (Alan Laska) wrote:

Hi Alan
I've called the Sci-Fi channel, and begged them to keep Animation Studio off the air.. told them the show cused my poodle to suffer seizures.

Then I called TCI Cable and told them I'd prefer to see the History Channel in the slot currently occupied by SFC.. they said they were considering it!

| Doug Berry dbe...@nospam.hooked.net |
| http://www.hooked.net/~dberry/index.html |
| (remove "nospam" to reply by mail) |
|-------------------------------------------|
| Gamer, Filker, Costumer.. I'm not a fan, |
| I'm just a pile of Fringe... |

Steve

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Alan Laska wrote:
> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:

> : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
> : have complained to him.

> There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
> Several times more that support me.

Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
lurking supporters.

> : I only have one preprinted letter and address label left, thanking the
> : Sci Fi Channel for changing their schedule and removing these shows,
> : of a dozen I've printed, with different names and formats.

> "....of a dozen I've printed, with different names and formats."

> You know if do did the same thing with a ballot box in an
> election, you'd be going to a federal prison for ballot box
> stuffing.

So what?

Dave Locke

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Steve phosphorized:

> Alan Laska wrote:
> > Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
>
> > : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
> > : have complained to him.
>
> > There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
> > Several times more that support me.
>

> Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> identify themselves?

Here.

> Oh, and let's hear from these lurking supporters.

It's all by email and they don't want to identify themselves...

---
Dave | dave...@bigfoot.com | http://www.angelfire.com/oh/slowdjin

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

From: dbe...@nospam.hooked.net (Doug Berry)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.misc,alt.tv.scifi.channel,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:45:35 GMT

Then I called TCI Cable and told them I'd prefer to see the History
Channel in the slot currently occupied by SFC.. they said they were
considering it!

I told my local TCI operator that I'd like to see NASA TV (formerly
known as NASA Select) instead of the SciFi channel, during our latest
survey. NASA TV is free, and on a satellite that they already can
copy with an existing dish.

I also told them that I would switch to a direct broadcast satellite
system in a minute if any of them come up with NASA TV, and I've just
heard a rumor that one of them is planning just that.
73, doug

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

BTW, Al, as I said in email earlier, I personally don't care what you
do in newsgroups other than rec.arts.sf.fandom.

From: bi...@netcom.com (Alan Laska)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:20:30 GMT

"....of a dozen I've printed, with different names and formats."

You know if do did the same thing with a ballot box in an
election, you'd be going to a federal prison for ballot box
stuffing.

Different names, all mine (by use, which is enough in Calfornia).
I know someone who's got a US passport in a name she acquired by use,
totally different from her birth name.

In the last election, I was on the rolls three times, due to clerical
errors (a correction was munged). Several other people were on the
rolls in my district twice. As long as we only VOTE once, no
violation has occurred. I have been in charge of the polling place in
my neighborhood for the past several elections, so I got some training
on this.

73, doug

Steve

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
> From: dbe...@nospam.hooked.net (Doug Berry)

> Then I called TCI Cable and told them I'd prefer to see the History
> Channel in the slot currently occupied by SFC

> I told my local TCI operator that I'd like to see NASA TV (formerly

> known as NASA Select) instead of the SciFi channel

Hey, I don't want to get rid of SFC. I just want to get
rid of Alan's childish reposting.

P Nielsen Hayden

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

I'd be happy to make Doug Faunt's trade. Replacing SFC with NASA TV seems
precisely right. Who on earth would prefer second-rate movies and third-rate
TV shows to actual real-world space exploration coverage?

-----
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

Gary Farber

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom <65ct01$i...@news1.panix.com>
P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:

Can I get an option where NASA TV covers a much more ambitious grade of
real-world space exploration? (I'd settle for another planet's, if we
can't get an alternative Earth's.)

Steve

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

P Nielsen Hayden wrote:
> In article <3479EF...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:

> >Hey, I don't want to get rid of SFC. I just want to get
> >rid of Alan's childish reposting.

> I'd be happy to make Doug Faunt's trade. Replacing SFC with NASA TV seems
> precisely right. Who on earth would prefer second-rate movies and third-rate
> TV shows to actual real-world space exploration coverage?

Depends on what you mean by "coverage." It ain't CNN.
Remember that we are talking about the same people who
have already managed to bore the public with its portrayals.
BTW, Patrick, you do have NASA TV. Quite a bit of BCAT is
used by it. It's interesting, but watching locked-down
shots of Mission Control without commentary, or even seeing
the Earth from orbit for long stretches, gets a bit old.
They have done bits I find fascinating, such as lectures
and some press conferences. If SFC would integrate some of
that into their programming, we could have the best of two
worlds. But lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times
on C-SPAN during a quorum call.

Steve

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

P Nielsen Hayden wrote:
> In article <347A00...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:

> >Lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times

> >on C-SPAN during a quorum call.

> It's still more interesting than Space 1999.

Okay, but if you say that about The Time Tunnel, my second
will call. 8-)

Marci Malinowycz

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Dave Locke <dave...@bigfoot.com> wrote in article
<347edb69....@news.pipeline.com>...

wrote:
> > > : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not
many people
> > > : have complained to him.
> > > There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
> > > Several times more that support me.
> > Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> > identify themselves?
> Here.

And here.

-- Marci Malinowycz
(remove the nospam to send reply mail)

"I won my czar claim. Now I'm claim crazy!"

Richard Brandt

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Steve wrote:

> Hey, I don't want to get rid of SFC. I just want to get
> rid of Alan's childish reposting.

If I had to get rid of one to get rid of the other, I could live with
it.
--
======= http://www.xoom.com/arts/literature/rsbrandt ======
"The demand for narcotics raises our suspicion that there

Gary Farber

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

ne.com> <01bcf944$2c107660$5a142299@sputnik>

: wrote:
: > > > : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not
: many people
: > > > : have complained to him.
: > > > There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
: > > > Several times more that support me.

: > > Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
: > > identify themselves?
: > Here.

: And here.

I believe I've been clear.

Marilee J. Layman

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In <FAUNT.97N...@netcom2.netcom.com>, fa...@netcom2.netcom.com

(Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604) wrote:

> From: dbe...@nospam.hooked.net (Doug Berry)
> Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.misc,alt.tv.scifi.channel,rec.arts.sf.fandom
> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:45:35 GMT
>
> Then I called TCI Cable and told them I'd prefer to see the History

> Channel in the slot currently occupied by SFC.. they said they were
> considering it!
>

>I told my local TCI operator that I'd like to see NASA TV (formerly

>known as NASA Select) instead of the SciFi channel, during our latest
>survey. NASA TV is free, and on a satellite that they already can
>copy with an existing dish.

We get surveys once a year or so where they list channels and ask us
to mark, say, three that we'd like. I always write in NASA TV and
then mark it three times. We always get another shopping channel,
another religious channel, and another news channel.

--
Marilee J. Layman Co-Leader, The Other*Worlds*Cafe
RELM Mu...@aol.com A Science Fiction Discussion Group

P Nielsen Hayden

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

>Lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times
>on C-SPAN during a quorum call.

It's still more interesting than Space 1999.

-----

Alan Laska

Fran White

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Alan Laska wrote:
>> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
>
>> : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
>> : have complained to him.
>
>> There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
>> Several times more that support me.
>

>Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please

>identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
>lurking supporters.

Well this is the first complaint I've written, but here it is. Alan,
I'm not complaining about what you're writing. Good luck with your
campaign. What I'm complaining about is the sheer volume of your
postings. You're getting people's backs up and harming your own
chances of support. If you posted all your messages say, once every
two to three weeks that'd be fine, but every day or two is an annoying
waste of bandwidth. I hope you take this comment constructively. I
don't intend it as a flame.

Take care,

Fran

Fran White

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
>> From: dbe...@nospam.hooked.net (Doug Berry)
>

>> Then I called TCI Cable and told them I'd prefer to see the History
>> Channel in the slot currently occupied by SFC
>

>> I told my local TCI operator that I'd like to see NASA TV (formerly
>> known as NASA Select) instead of the SciFi channel
>

>Hey, I don't want to get rid of SFC. I just want to get
>rid of Alan's childish reposting.

Well said. Anything that'll stop Alan's incessant posting can't be
bad, but asking to get rid of SFC is *not* a good thing to do, IMHO.

A word to the wise, Alan. If you ever had anybody on your side, your
volume of posts are rapidly putting them off. I think by now that
even ardent fans of these programs would be clammering for them to
stay off the air to shut you up! I'm saying this constructively. For
your own sake, stick to occasional posts, and not continual spamming.

Take care,

Fran

David E Romm

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <FAUNT.97N...@netcom2.netcom.com>,

fa...@netcom2.netcom.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604) wrote:

> I told my local TCI operator that I'd like to see NASA TV (formerly

> known as NASA Select) instead of the SciFi channel, during our latest
> survey. NASA TV is free, and on a satellite that they already can
> copy with an existing dish.

Mpls gets NASA TV, though its not marked in the TV section of the paper.
47B, iirc. Actually, it comes in several channels. Paragon has a lot of
extra bandwidth, and fills it weirdly.
--
Shockwave radio: Science Fiction/Science Fact/Weirdness Unbound
http://www.visi.com/~romm

David E Romm

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

> Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
> lurking supporters.

I usually just ignore you, Alan, and read the amusing follow-ups. But
please count me as one of the people who wish you'd stop. You don't have
to go away, just stop making these useless newbie posts.

--
Shockwave radio: Science Fiction/Science Fact/Weirdness Unbound
http://www.visi.com/~romm

"I tried to be an outsider, but I didn't really fit in." -- Sabrina

Ben Yalow

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <01bcf944$2c107660$5a142299@sputnik>,

"Marci Malinowycz" <nospam...@msn.com> wrote:
>Dave Locke <dave...@bigfoot.com> wrote in article
><347edb69....@news.pipeline.com>...
>> Steve phosphorized:
>many people
>> > Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
>> > identify themselves?
>> Here.
>
>And here.
>
>-- Marci Malinowycz

And I guess I make 5, unless other people have jumped in before me.

Ben

------
Ben Yalow yb...@panix.com
Not speaking for anybody

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

David E Romm wrote:

> In article <3479DA...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:

> > Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please

> > identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
> > lurking supporters.

> please count me as one of the people who wish you'd stop.

David puts us over five, with no supporters heard from yet.

Alan, this is your big chance to be a mensch. Admit you've
made a mistake and you'll probably make friends in r.a.sf.f.
Most folks here are both forgiving and friendly. And their
friendship is worth it. I speak from experience.

Seth Breidbart

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <FAUNT.97N...@netcom3.netcom.com>,

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <fa...@netcom3.netcom.com> wrote:
>Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
>have complained to him.

He lies. He lied to Panix when I complained to him (saying I was
mailbombing him because I CC'd him on the messages to
ab...@netcom.com; he only got back what he sent, so what does that say
about what he's doing to Usenet?). Since then, I've only complained
to ab...@netcom.com; anybody else who doesn't like spam should do
that, too.

Seth

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Ben Yalow wrote:
> >> Steve phosphorized:

> And I guess I make 5, unless other people have jumped in before me.

Ben, by my count, you make 8. And that's in only half a day
since I asked. The number of supporters in that time is zero.

Alan, you don't have supporters. You have an opportunity.
Take it by admitting you've made a mistake and gaining some
respect with that admission. I'll be the first one to say
you've earned it, and I expect several times more will
support me. And you.

- Steve

Plain and Simple Cronan

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve wrote:

> Alan, this is your big chance to be a mensch. Admit you've
> made a mistake and you'll probably make friends in r.a.sf.f.
> Most folks here are both forgiving and friendly. And their
> friendship is worth it. I speak from experience.

I am curious as to why one would want to make friends via the usenet. Is
life that harsh? Do you fear physical proximity?

Just curious

P&SC
Friends on the usenet? Next thing you'll be telling me is that SPAM is
illegal

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Plain and Simple Cronan wrote:
> Steve wrote:

> > Most folks here are both forgiving and friendly. And their
> > friendship is worth it. I speak from experience.

> I am curious as to why one would want to make friends via the usenet.

I am curious as to why one would not.

> Is life that harsh?

How harsh do you think making friends on Usenet is?

> Do you fear physical proximity?

No. Do you?

> Just curious

Forgive me, but I think you have more on your mind.

> Next thing you'll be telling me is that SPAM is illegal

Stay tuned.

Ray Radlein

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> just...@erols.com wrote:
>
> >Lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times on C-SPAN during a
> >quorum call.
>
> It's still more interesting than Space 1999.

But the theme music isn't as good.

- Ray R.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Uh, I think so, Brain, but peanut butter and hecto jelly on toast?
I mean, wouldn't it be flammable?"

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

Ray Radlein

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Alan Laska wrote:

> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
> : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many
> : people have complained to him.
>
> There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.

I'm complaining. Nicely. I'm a nice person. Please stop.

Plain and Simple Cronan

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve wrote:

> > I am curious as to why one would want to make friends via the usenet.
>
> I am curious as to why one would not.

First thing that comes to mid is that they might be just as psychotic as
you are.

> > Is life that harsh?
>
> How harsh do you think making friends on Usenet is?

Pretty damn harsh. Scary too.

> > Do you fear physical proximity?
>
> No. Do you?

Only with people who make friends via computers.

> > Just curious
>
> Forgive me, but I think you have more on your mind.

I do. I was thinking you and me on a pink beach towel in Maine.

> > Next thing you'll be telling me is that SPAM is illegal
>
> Stay tuned.

To what?

Gary Farber

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom <347A28...@erols.com>
Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:
: P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

: > In article <347A00...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:

: > >Lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times
: > >on C-SPAN during a quorum call.

: > It's still more interesting than Space 1999.

: Okay, but if you say that about The Time Tunnel, my second
: will call. 8-)

Since the protagonists of that "show" were always called to famous crises
in history (Seldon crises, perhaps?), surely they will arrive at the site
of this one any second, and Alan Lasko will be enveloped in sparks and
exploding equipment crashing about him?

Perhaps he can then voyage to the bottom of the sea and sleep with the
fishies.

P Nielsen Hayden

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <65dr56$a...@panix3.panix.com>, se...@panix.com (Seth Breidbart) wrote:
>In article <FAUNT.97N...@netcom3.netcom.com>,
>Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <fa...@netcom3.netcom.com> wrote:
>>Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
>>have complained to him.
>
>He lies. He lied to Panix when I complained to him (saying I was
>mailbombing him because I CC'd him on the messages to
>ab...@netcom.com; he only got back what he sent, so what does that say
>about what he's doing to Usenet?). Since then, I've only complained
>to ab...@netcom.com; anybody else who doesn't like spam should do
>that, too.

He wrote to your ISP claiming you were "mailbombing" because you sent him a cc
of your complaint to ab...@netcom.com? What a weiner.

I hope Teresa and I have been tallied among the people who have asked this
creature to stop posting this stuff.

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

P Nielsen Hayden wrote:

> I hope Teresa and I have been tallied among the people who have asked this
> creature to stop posting this stuff.

I'll add you both, but I'm losing count. I think we're up to:

Complaints: 11
Supporters: 0

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve wrote:

> I'll add you both, but I'm losing count. I think we're up to:

> Complaints: 11
> Supporters: 0

BTW, if Alan's supporters are all permanent lurkers, I invite
them to retain their anonymity by e-mailing their supporting
messages to me. I will treat these as confidential
communications, only posting my count of bona fide supporters.

James Cassell

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:57:02 GMT, fa...@netcom2.netcom.com (Doug Faunt
N6TQS +1-510-655-8604) wrote:

>I also told them that I would switch to a direct broadcast satellite
>system in a minute if any of them come up with NASA TV, and I've just
>heard a rumor that one of them is planning just that.
>73, doug

Which one?

James

--

James Cassell <cas...@irss.unc.edu>

Steve Miller

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve wrote:

> Alan Laska wrote:
> > Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
>
> > : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
> > : have complained to him.
>
> > There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
> > Several times more that support me.
>
> Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
> lurking supporters.

I'm afraid I'm one of the 5 nasties who complained directly to him.

Marci Malinowycz

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Steve Miller <kin...@mint.net> wrote in article
<347B24...@mint.net>...

Hee, hee: Listening to this roll call of three of five, four of Five,
Seven of Five, Eight of Five, Eleven of Five, I'm picturing a whole
new cast of Voyager characters.

Alan Braggins

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

yb...@panix.com (Ben Yalow) writes:
> >> Here.
> >
> >And here.

> And I guess I make 5, unless other people have jumped in before me.

Me too. Sounds like he can't count.

P Nielsen Hayden

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <347B24...@mint.net>, kin...@mint.net wrote:

>I'm afraid I'm one of the 5 nasties who complained directly to him.

Given that well more than five people have identified themselves as such, I'm
afraid we've established conclusively that 5 is a larger number than Mr. Laska
can accurately count to.

Dave Locke

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

P Nielsen Hayden phosphorized:

> In article <347B24...@mint.net>, kin...@mint.net wrote:
>
> >I'm afraid I'm one of the 5 nasties who complained directly to him.
>
> Given that well more than five people have identified themselves as such, I'm
> afraid we've established conclusively that 5 is a larger number than Mr. Laska
> can accurately count to.

Alan seems to have the reverse problem of the weather forecasters here
in Cinsanity last winter. They forecasted 43 of the 5 snowstorms we
got.

---
Dave | dave...@bigfoot.com | http://www.angelfire.com/oh/slowdjin

David Hines

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

In article <65d4hk$k...@news1.panix.com>,

P Nielsen Hayden <p...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <347A00...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:
>
>>Lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times
>>on C-SPAN during a quorum call.
>
>It's still more interesting than Space 1999.

Au contraire. At least _Space 1999_ gave us the book on the
*making* of _Space 1999_, in the apparent hope that as many
people would buy it as bought stuff like _The Making of STAR
TREK_ by Stephen A. Whitfield/Poe. (Whoops.) A funnier
block of sycophancy I have never encountered. We're talking
more boot-licking than _Starlog_ at its worst, here.

OTOH, NASA did provide impetus for the anthology _Free Space_,
which is a point in its favor.

| David Hines d-h...@uchicago.edu |
| http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/dzhines |

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:51:06 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>P Nielsen Hayden wrote:
>
>> I hope Teresa and I have been tallied among the people who have asked this
>> creature to stop posting this stuff.
>

>I'll add you both, but I'm losing count. I think we're up to:
>
>Complaints: 11
>Supporters: 0

Does it count as a complaint that I killfiled him and some variants of
his subject lines long ago?

--
TOUCHED BY THE GODS: Hardcover, Tor Books, now available! $24.95
The Misenchanted Page: http://www.sff.net/people/LWE/ Last update 11/9/97

Andrew Thomas

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Doug Berry wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:48:30 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:
>
> >Alan Laska wrote:
> >> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
> >
> >> : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
> >> : have complained to him.
> >
> >> There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
> >> Several times more that support me.
> >
> >Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> >identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
> >lurking supporters.
>
> Add another Doug.

Your heart's in the right place, Alan... but please stop.
I actually produce a program that has recently been cancelled
by the SciFi Channel, and even I am a bit annoyed with the spam,
supportive as it is.

--Andy

Richard Brandt

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Marci Malinowycz wrote:

> Dave Locke <dave...@bigfoot.com> wrote in article
> <347edb69....@news.pipeline.com>...
> > Steve phosphorized:
> many people
> > > Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> > > identify themselves?
> > Here.
>
> And here.

Oh, all right. It was me.
--
======= http://www.xoom.com/arts/literature/rsbrandt ======
"The demand for narcotics raises our suspicion that there
could be drugs involved." -- Capt. Doug Chambers

Cally Soukup

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Plain and Simple Cronan <cro...@deathsdoor.com> wrote:

> I am curious as to why one would want to make friends via the usenet. Is
> life that harsh? Do you fear physical proximity?

Why would one want to avoid making friends wherever one was? As it
happens, I met my husband through Fidonet, and several of my best
friends through Fidonet or through ddials (an old fashioned kind of
chat system). I've even made friends through apahacking.

Why do you assume that friends one makes through usenet, or any other
text-based interaction, will never be encountered in the flesh?

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Doug Berry wrote:

> Seems ever time I tune into SFC, it's showing SeaQuest...

Quit your job. Then all you have to do is avoid becoming
what one of my friends, who writes for The Daily Show, refers
to as those, "unemployed masturbaters who watch the bikini
exercise shows on ESPN."

Steve

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

> Does it count as a complaint that I killfiled him and some variants of
> his subject lines long ago?

Yes. This yields:

Complaints: 16
Supports: 0
Supports anonymously e-mailed to me: 0

Vicki Rosenzweig

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

In article <65evfg$7...@news1.panix.com>, p...@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>In article <65dr56$a...@panix3.panix.com>, se...@panix.com (Seth Breidbart)
> wrote:
>>In article <FAUNT.97N...@netcom3.netcom.com>,
>>Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <fa...@netcom3.netcom.com> wrote:
>>>Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
>>>have complained to him.
>>
>>He lies. He lied to Panix when I complained to him (saying I was
>>mailbombing him because I CC'd him on the messages to
>>ab...@netcom.com; he only got back what he sent, so what does that say
>>about what he's doing to Usenet?). Since then, I've only complained
>>to ab...@netcom.com; anybody else who doesn't like spam should do
>>that, too.
>
>He wrote to your ISP claiming you were "mailbombing" because you sent him a cc
>of your complaint to ab...@netcom.com? What a weiner.
>
>I hope Teresa and I have been tallied among the people who have asked this
>creature to stop posting this stuff.
>
>-----
>Patrick Nielsen Hayden : p...@panix.com : http://www.panix.com/~pnh

Add me to the list of people who want it to go away. I can and do ignore
a lot, but I want to make it clear that the mere fact that I choose to
killfile something instead of complaining to the spammers ISP does
*not* mean that I approve of the spam. It just means I get tired.

Vicki Rosenzweig
v...@interport.net | http://www.users.interport.net/~vr/
Typos are Coyote padding through the language, grinning.
--Susanna Sturgis

Doug Berry

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:48:30 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Alan Laska wrote:

>> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
>
>> : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many people
>> : have complained to him.
>

>> There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
>> Several times more that support me.
>
>Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please

>identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
>lurking supporters.

Add another Doug.

| Doug Berry dbe...@nospam.hooked.net |
| http://www.hooked.net/~dberry/index.html |
| (remove "nospam" to reply by mail) |
|-------------------------------------------|
| Gamer, Filker, Costumer.. I'm not a fan, |
| I'm just a pile of Fringe... |

Doug Berry

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:32:53 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Depends on what you mean by "coverage." It ain't CNN.
>Remember that we are talking about the same people who
>have already managed to bore the public with its portrayals.
>BTW, Patrick, you do have NASA TV. Quite a bit of BCAT is
>used by it. It's interesting, but watching locked-down
>shots of Mission Control without commentary, or even seeing
>the Earth from orbit for long stretches, gets a bit old.
>They have done bits I find fascinating, such as lectures
>and some press conferences. If SFC would integrate some of
>that into their programming, we could have the best of two
>worlds. But lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times

>on C-SPAN during a quorum call.

San Francisco TCI uses one channel for both City programing and NASA stuff.. switching to whatever is more interesting.

Doug Berry

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:21:56 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>P Nielsen Hayden wrote:
>> In article <347A00...@erols.com>, just...@erols.com wrote:
>

>> >Lots of NASA TV is comparable to those times

>> >on C-SPAN during a quorum call.
>

>> It's still more interesting than Space 1999.
>

>Okay, but if you say that about The Time Tunnel, my second
>will call. 8-)

Seems ever time I tune into SFC, it's showing SeaQuest...

Ray Radlein

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Plain and Simple Cronan wrote:

> I am curious as to why one would want to make friends via the usenet.

Well, since we're all actually *on* the internet right now, it seems
generally preferable to being *unfriendly* on the internet. Just as
making friends in person is generally preferable to being unfriendly in
person. "Be nice" doesn't really seem to be all that difficult or
unexpected a concept to me.

Dave Locke

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Ray Radlein phosphorized:

> Plain and Simple Cronan wrote:
> >
> > I am curious as to why one would want to make friends via the usenet.
>
> Well, since we're all actually *on* the internet right now, it seems
> generally preferable to being *unfriendly* on the internet. Just as
> making friends in person is generally preferable to being unfriendly in
> person. "Be nice" doesn't really seem to be all that difficult or
> unexpected a concept to me.

Cronan of Cimmeria obviously wishes to choose his own ground for
making friends, as opposed to the serendipity of normal beings who
might find them wherever they go.

Let's see, I've made friends at work, parties, conventions, in the
neighborhoods I've lived in, via snailmail correspondence, amateur
publishing, email, newsgroups, ListServs, during an extended stay in
the hospital, club meetings, etc. etc. ad barf nauseum.

However, I absolutely refuse to make friends with anyone from my cable
company. We all have to draw the line somewhere.

Steve Brewster

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Please add me to the 'complaints' list too.

--
"After 1939 he retired permanently to his | Steve.B...@Bristol.ac.uk
country house where he became interested | +44 117 928 7445

Jo Walton

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

In article <347BA5...@erols.com> just...@erols.com "Steve" writes:

> Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
>
> > Does it count as a complaint that I killfiled him and some variants of
> > his subject lines long ago?
>
> Yes. This yields:

Oh well, if that counts you can count me as a complaint as well.

--
Jo - - I kissed a kif at Kefk - - J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scott Taylor

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Jo Walton wrote:

> "Steve" writes:
> > Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

> > > Does it count as a complaint that I killfiled him and some
> > > variants of his subject lines long ago?

> > Yes. This yields:

> Oh well, if that counts you can count me as a complaint as well.

Count me into the "just go away, you stupid git" category as
well, if you please.

Scott Taylor
Freelancer for Hire
Have Mac, Will Travel

Michael Feldhusen

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

In article <880536...@bluejo.demon.co.uk>, J...@bluejo.demon.co.uk
says...

> In article <347BA5...@erols.com> just...@erols.com "Steve" writes:
>
> > Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> >
> > > Does it count as a complaint that I killfiled him and some variants of
> > > his subject lines long ago?
> >
> > Yes. This yields:
>
> Oh well, if that counts you can count me as a complaint as well.

And me as well. I've kill filed him multiple times (I changed news
readers).

--
Michael Feldhusen mi...@pharlap.com

Barnaby

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Doug Berry wrote in article <3479cad1...@news.wenet.net>...

>On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 17:32:57 GMT, bi...@netcom.com (Alan Laska) wrote:
>
>Hi Alan
>I've called the Sci-Fi channel, and begged them to keep Animation
[Station] off the air.. told them the show cused my poodle to suffer
seizures.

Hey, I liked Animation Station! It showed Captain Scarlet and Stingray! And
they replaced it with that horrible Incredible Hulk series from the 70s.

But USA has already taken advantage of Sci-Fi's blunder by filling the
exact same timeslot (7:30-9:00 am EST) with an imitation, USA Extreme
Action. They're showing Gargoyles and Sailor Moon back to back, so I'm
happy. Sci-Fi probably wouldn't be able to get the audience back at this
point.

And Alan, these messages should stop. You've made your point. Now they're
just an annoyance.

Barnaby Rapoport

Doug Wickstrom

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Doug Berry wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:48:30 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:
>
> >Alan Laska wrote:
> >> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 (fa...@netcom3.netcom.com) wrote:
> >
> >> : Big Al says that what he's doing is totally legal, and not many
> people
> >> : have complained to him.
> >
> >> There have been only FIVE people that complained to me.
> >> Several times more that support me.
> >
> >Well, Doug and I are two. Would the other three please
> >identify themselves? Oh, and let's hear from these
> >lurking supporters.
>
> Add another Doug.

And another, though I'd like to think I should have been included from
the start. "Is it spam, yet?"

--
Doug Wickstrom

Eddie Cochrane

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:52:21 GMT, lawr...@clark.net (Lawrence
Watt-Evans) wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:51:06 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:
>
>>P Nielsen Hayden wrote:
>>

>>> I hope Teresa and I have been tallied among the people who have asked this
>>> creature to stop posting this stuff.
>>

>>I'll add you both, but I'm losing count. I think we're up to:
>>
>>Complaints: 11
>>Supporters: 0
>

>Does it count as a complaint that I killfiled him and some variants of
>his subject lines long ago?

If it does then I'm a complainant too. In fact when I acquired the
kill file facility by upgrading my newsreader, he had the honour to be
my second kill-filee.

Cheers, Eddie Cochrane
Cheers, Eddie Cochrane
Purveyor of bananas to Fandom since 1997

Invid fan

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

In article <347cf...@news1.ibm.net>, "Barnaby" <hra...@ibm.net> wrote:

> Doug Berry wrote in article <3479cad1...@news.wenet.net>...
>
> >On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 17:32:57 GMT, bi...@netcom.com (Alan Laska) wrote:
> >
> >Hi Alan
> >I've called the Sci-Fi channel, and begged them to keep Animation
> [Station] off the air.. told them the show cused my poodle to suffer
> seizures.
>
> Hey, I liked Animation Station! It showed Captain Scarlet and Stingray! And
> they replaced it with that horrible Incredible Hulk series from the 70s.
>
> But USA has already taken advantage of Sci-Fi's blunder by filling the
> exact same timeslot (7:30-9:00 am EST) with an imitation, USA Extreme
> Action. They're showing Gargoyles and Sailor Moon back to back, so I'm
> happy. Sci-Fi probably wouldn't be able to get the audience back at this
> point.

Since USA owns SFC, I'd call this more of a calculated move than taking
advantage of a blunder.

--
Chris Mack 'With a price on his head, the Carrot becomes a
'Invid Fan' desperado, aided only by a small band of adventuresome

"Like all guerrilla fighters...their clothes get torn...SEE?!!"
-Flaming Carrot
in...@localnet.com

Doug Berry

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 02:22:59 GMT, awnb...@panix.com (Michael R Weholt) wrote:

>In article <347b76b4...@news.wenet.net>,

>dbe...@nospam.hooked.net wrote:
>>
>>San Francisco TCI uses one channel for both City programing and NASA stuff..
>> switching to whatever is more interesting.
>

>Sounds like poor planning to me. What will they do when NASA
>discovers the Doomsday Comet will land on the corner of Market & 5th?
>
>I bet they didn't think *that* one through.

Since that's an event that will actually effect the city, there is no chance that the Board of Stupes will discuss it, prefering to pass a resolution condemning Botswana for it's poor farming practises...

Personaly, I'm hoping His Williness will be on that corner to greet the incoming cosmic debris.

Doug Berry

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:25:01 -0500, Steve <just...@erols.com> wrote:

>Doug Berry wrote:
>
>> Seems ever time I tune into SFC, it's showing SeaQuest...
>

>Quit your job. Then all you have to do is avoid becoming
>what one of my friends, who writes for The Daily Show, refers
>to as those, "unemployed masturbaters who watch the bikini
>exercise shows on ESPN."

I spend about a quarter of the year on disability due to the aftershocks of cancer, and plan my day around "Judge Judy" and reality based TV between sessions of netting and re-reading every book I own.

If I ever consider suicide, I'll watch a SciFi Channel SeaQuest marathon.

Gary Farber

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

In rec.arts.sf.fandom <347df9b3...@news.wenet.net>
Doug Berry <dbe...@nospam.hooked.net> wrote:
[. . .]

: I spend about a quarter of the year on disability due to the aftershocks

: of cancer, and plan my day around "Judge Judy" and reality based TV
: between sessions of netting and re-reading every book I own.

Use a speargun to capture the books instead. Or try coaxing them in.

: If I ever consider suicide, I'll watch a SciFi Channel SeaQuest marathon.

Surely the horror of this means that there *is* a case for assisted
suicide as an alternative.