The Holocron Fanzine: what I think

1 view

mach...@ac.dal.ca

Jul 20, 1994, 3:00:08 PM7/20/94
I got a copy of "The Holocron" a few days ago. Now, I didn't subscribe for
it--I don't get any Fanzine-type stuff--but I did "write" and "article" for
it, so I guess that's why I got a copy. I didn't think it would be all that
interesting to me, but if someone wanted to publish my Force Powers, I
didn't mind.

Well, I was wrong! The magazine was VERY interesting to me!

It is published using desktop publishing from a PC or something and very
well laid out. The graphics are neat, with scenes from the movies and the
"datapad" border seen in WEG products ( and other stuff).

It has a variety of stuff in it submitted and illustrated by a variety of
people. The writing is good and highlights/summarizes new SW developments,
present/future SW products (games, comics, books and more). It has an
original WEG SWRPG scenario. It has a story (featuring the Empire's elite--
you know The E, DV, and GM T). It has supplementary stuff for the RPG. It
has a "collector's corner". It even has a small rumour's section.

Now this is just great for me, because I don't read ALL the messages in
this newsgroup (not enough time). But "The Holocron" pointed out some of
the developments with movies etc in a concise manner, without my having to
sift through this cluttered newsgroup (we got everybody in here! :)
I found the Emperor story entertaining and informative, and I'll use the
RPG scenario as the basis for a quick buch of games in August.

You know, I originally had no intention of subscribing, but I'll think I'll
sent in my subscription fee (only 8.50 for 4 issues--I think).
Reasons:
- it's well done and I hope there are more
- it's good to support this kind of private initiative
- the SW detail is appropriate
- the source references are always mentioned
- the "publisher" (I know him only as "Wedge") actually bothered to
send me one (Air Mail too!)
- it's not expensive

This is not an advert, it's my opinion.

I think if you guys saw the fanzine, you'd like/appreciate/enjoy it.

If you're interested:

contact WE...@MCS.COM and ask about it.